2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Question About Tees

Medic

The margins in Tee manufacturing are not worthy of paying tour players to use them. Epoch tees, however, gets quite a bit of use on multiple tours. I have been using them for four years and swear by them... Strong enough to stick in the ground and one holds up for 18 holes or more.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74S
  • 718 T-MB 17° 2i Tensei AV White Am2 90S
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='creed3439' timestamp='1440097224' post='12177764']
[quote name='Augster' timestamp='1440080377' post='12175784']
Get the martini tee and forget about tees. It is that great.

One tee. It lasts longer than any other tee. It's heavier so it doesn't fly as far away after being hit and it's easy to spot on the tee box because of the bright colors. Lastly, it's easy to find in your pocket.

I found one in May of 2014. I played it until it broke in November because it was incredibly cold. About 100 rounds. I put another in play the next day and have played it from November 2014 until now, August 2015. Well over 100+ rounds. It'll probably break once the cold weather, and I mean 30's, comes back this fall.

I can't imagine using another tee at this point. Every one of my friends have switched to the martini tee.
[/quote]

See, based on this I looked them up on their site. As stated earlier, I bought a huge pack of wood a few years ago and haven't run out, but I was intrigued. They lost me though when they started talking about more distance as just another gimmick. Is it safe to say your recommendation is based solely on the fact they're sturdy?
[/quote]

Any conforming tee that claims more accuracy and distance is just BS. It's a tee and never contacts the club during the shot. Complete bunk.

Things that are measurable about tees that sets the martini apart from all others are:

Durability. Nothing better.
No marks on the bottom of the club. Some like it, some don't.
Easy to grab out of your pocket.
Easy to find after the shot.
EASIEST to tee when you are nervous. This is the hands down winner and the first reason I wanted to try it in the first place.
Ball will not blow off on high wind days.
You help the aesthetics of a golf course by not leaving broken tees everywhere on the tee. 4 guys breaking 4 tees per tee box, times 7 groups per hour, is 504 broken nubs during one hour of tee times over 18 holes. And a busy course has, what, 8 hours of tee times. So what, 4000 possible broken tees per day?

Or, zero broken tees using Martini tees. Which is easier to clean up and looks better?

It really simplifies my pre round prep when I only have to find my one tee and I know I won't have to know where my other tees are stored.

One tee to rule them all.

One of my dad's buddies loves the martini tees, but hates that they tend to end up far away after hitting them (his belief, not stating that as fact) I guess he is afraid he'll lose one. Anyway, he has taken to staking his down by attaching it to another tee by twine.

Waaaaaaaaaay too much effort for a tee.

#golferproblems

Ping G25 @ 9degrees/TFC 189D stiff
Callaway XHot2 pro/13.5 degrees/Aldila TG stiff
Titleist 913H/19 degrees/Aldila TG stiff
Ping s55/4-W/KBS Tour R+ [ .5 long]
Glide 50 w. Wrx grind
Vokey SM5 54-10/S grind
Vokey SM4 60-04
Scotty Cameron California Monterrey

[quote name='Augster' timestamp='1440100829' post='12178216']
[quote name='creed3439' timestamp='1440097224' post='12177764']

One tee. It lasts longer than any other tee. It's heavier so it doesn't fly as far away after being hit and it's easy to spot on the tee box because of the bright colors. Lastly, it's easy to find in your pocket.

I found one in May of 2014. I played it until it broke in November because it was incredibly cold. About 100 rounds. I put another in play the next day and have played it from November 2014 until now, August 2015. Well over 100+ rounds. It'll probably break once the cold weather, and I mean 30's, comes back this fall.

I can't imagine using another tee at this point. Every one of my friends have switched to the martini tee.
[/quote]

See, based on this I looked them up on their site. As stated earlier, I bought a huge pack of wood a few years ago and haven't run out, but I was intrigued. They lost me though when they started talking about more distance as just another gimmick. Is it safe to say your recommendation is based solely on the fact they're sturdy?
[/quote]

Any conforming tee that claims more accuracy and distance is just BS. It's a tee and never contacts the club during the shot. Complete bunk.

Things that are measurable about tees that sets the martini apart from all others are:

Durability. Nothing better.
No marks on the bottom of the club. Some like it, some don't.
Easy to grab out of your pocket.
Easy to find after the shot.
EASIEST to tee when you are nervous. This is the hands down winner and the first reason I wanted to try it in the first place.
Ball will not blow off on high wind days.
You help the aesthetics of a golf course by not leaving broken tees everywhere on the tee. 4 guys breaking 4 tees per tee box, times 7 groups per hour, is 504 broken nubs during one hour of tee times over 18 holes. And a busy course has, what, 8 hours of tee times. So what, 4000 possible broken tees per day?

Or, zero broken tees using Martini tees. Which is easier to clean up and looks better?

It really simplifies my pre round prep when I only have to find my one tee and I know I won't have to know where my other tees are stored.

One tee to rule them all.
[/quote]

I knew the distance claims were BS as they all are. That's why I wondered whether people supporting them were just liking the fact they didn't break or for other reasons. I guess because I have so many wooden tees, that most of the time if they fly, I don't even bother to pick them up. It's easy to sweat not losing when you can get a bag of 500 for like $10. I will say though, I hadn't really thought of the fact it makes the course look bad. I just always thought that was a part of golf really.

• 2 weeks later...

[/quote]

OK, so I got my Martini Tees and tried them this past Saturday. They seemed to be what you stated - but I am curious. Do you lean it towards the fairway or tee it up straight up and down? The paper that came with them said to try leaning them - I did and am not certain it really made any sort of a difference.

Callaway Epic with Fujikura 62s in 45.25 set at 12.5*
Taylormade Rbz FW (17*)
Callaway X-Hot Pro 20* Hybrid
Callaway Steelhead 4-PW w/KBS 90s
Titleist Vokey 50*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 56*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 60-08 M
Tad Moore TM-1 35"
Callaway Chrome Soft

[quote name='Medic' timestamp='1441062893' post='12241914']

[/quote]

OK, so I got my Martini Tees and tried them this past Saturday. They seemed to be what you stated - but I am curious. Do you lean it towards the fairway or tee it up straight up and down? The paper that came with them said to try leaning them - I did and am not certain it really made any sort of a difference.
[/quote]

That "lean it forward" stuff is ridiculous. It just makes it tougher to tee. Any claims, by them or anyone else, that it matters at all is complete hogwash.

Watch one bizhub slow mo video. That ball is WAY gone before the tee would do anything but hold the ball up.

If a tee could affect the ball flight/spin rate/ what have you, it'd likely be deemed non-conforming.

You can sell anything if you tell them it will improve their game. All the tee does is hold up the ball. I usually look for the longer ones that are free. Although I did purchase the longer tees with the paint on it to keep me in the same teeing height on each drive.

Cobra LTD 9* TP6HD
Cobra Big Tour 14.5* TP7HD 

Cobra F6 Baffler 19* Kiyoshi Purple

Wilson Staff Staff Blades 3-PW Recoil I95 stiff 

Wilson PMP 52/56 Raw

Titliest SquareBack LA 135 

Vice Pro+ Lime Green Goodness

I saw pros and cons for the tee.

Pros:

Easy to find every time.
Didn't break.
Easy to tee the same height each time.
Easy to tee it up fast.

Cons:

Looks bizarre. Hard to get used to.
Seems bulky - could not help but wonder if it might actually slow the clubhead down a bit.
If there was any extra distance it wasn't so remarkable as to be clear and obvious.
Costly compared to my "regular tees".

So, I am not sold on them. I have them in my bag and will be using them again this coming weekend assuming that I can get out. It is raining so hard out there I can hear it over my TV. And we DO NOT need any more rain! Courses, my yard, our roads, and the whole Central Florida area is flooded already!

Callaway Epic with Fujikura 62s in 45.25 set at 12.5*
Taylormade Rbz FW (17*)
Callaway X-Hot Pro 20* Hybrid
Callaway Steelhead 4-PW w/KBS 90s
Titleist Vokey 50*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 56*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 60-08 M
Tad Moore TM-1 35"
Callaway Chrome Soft

[quote name='Medic' timestamp='1441065717' post='12242136']
I saw pros and cons for the tee.

Pros:

Easy to find every time.
Didn't break.
Easy to tee the same height each time.
Easy to tee it up fast.

Cons:

Looks bizarre. Hard to get used to.
Seems bulky - could not help but wonder if it might actually slow the clubhead down a bit.
If there was any extra distance it wasn't so remarkable as to be clear and obvious.
Costly compared to my "regular tees".

So, I am not sold on them. I have them in my bag and will be using them again this coming weekend assuming that I can get out. It is raining so hard out there I can hear it over my TV. And we DO NOT need any more rain! Courses, my yard, our roads, and the whole Central Florida area is flooded already!
[/quote]

I havent lived here in Florida for 16 years... back in Lake City now, and man it rains EVERY DAMN DAY...

Ping G410 LST Fujikura Atmos Black 6X 
Ping TiSi Tec 3 Wood Ping Tour Stiff
Ping i25 19* hybrid Aldila Tour Blue S
Ping 410 Crossover 4 iron
Ping Blueprint Modus 120 S Powerspec 
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 48/52/56/60
Ping Sigma2 Tyne
Chromesoft Truvis

[url="http://www.amazon.com/ProActive-DTT003-Tomahawx-Golf-Tee/dp/B003T9EZ5K"]http://www.amazon.co...e/dp/B003T9EZ5K[/url]

these are the "plastique" tees i use, and yes i admit i spend way too much time looking for them at times.

however, due to their shape, they fly in a very predictable manner so its pretty easy to find.

i also bought the flex tees but i have not put them into use yet.

pretty sure pros dont use fancy tees because they prefer to have different tee height for different situations.

[quote name='Hateto3Putt' timestamp='1439733576' post='12147396']
Thanks to the [s]idiot[/s] people on this site, and Amazon points that needed blown, I bought a pack of Martini tees in Shocking Pink.

I put it in play June 25, and haven't broken or lost it since. Couple that with the fact that I will pick up abandoned tees, I've had to clean out my tee pouch twice since June. Just yesterday, my tee count was +6 on 18.

So in theory, the Martini tee has made my tee coffee can even fuller. It hasn't saved me a nickle though, since I haven't bought a tee since the Reagan administration.

Does it make my drives go straighter and longer? Well, when I rope one, I tell my buddies it does.

Reading the prior post..the Martini Tee hits every point.
[/quote]Got you beat on the tee buying thing. I am 58 years old and have played all my life and have never bought a tee--- I grew up with my Dad running a course and of course started around the cart barn saving tees. I also do like my old man pick up every tee I see. I probably have tees that are 40 years old or older. Even the one Martini tee I have I got for free because my GM gave me one when they first started selling them. I love it here during the tourist golf season, they buy those big bags of tees at the big box stores and do not bother to stoop over and pick one up. Like you I have several coffee cans of tees and actually coffee cans are becoming a rare item themselves

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

5W  --- TM V Steel Fubuki 60r

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 5 thru PW TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R F

SW Callaway PM Grind 56* Modified Grind KBS Tour Wedge

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter Macgregor Bobby Grace Mark 4 V-Foil Broomstick

Played in 30+mph winds today. Guy I played with was trying traditional wood tees and tried to start with zero friction tees. He had the ball blown off 3 times at address and lost count how many times after teeing and letting go.

The other 3 of us are Martini guys. No problem at all. Tee it up, address it, and go.

I have well over 100 rounds on this martini tee this year. I had found another one and was saving it as a backup. A single caught up to our 3-some last week and joined us. All of us were using the martini and the single said he'd never used them but had heard of them. I gave him my spare tee and told him I just solved his teeing requirements for the next 100+ rounds he plays.

There is a certain sensation when biting a regular white painted wooden tee in half after a particularly errant shot that a Martini or Brush or other gimmick device cannot provide me.

Takomo IGNIS D1 9° HZRDUS Smoke Blue 60g / Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Apex '19 3H HZRDUS Handcrafted HYB 85g
PXG 0311P Gen 6 Black Label Elite 4-G KBS Tour Lite S / Miura Baby Blades 3-P Steelfiber 110cw / PING ISI Nickel 1-L G Loomis reg flex
Callaway Jaws Raw 54.10S / 58.8Z
PING Anser 2 Jim Wells 36" / Bettinardi BB-1 (2022) 35" / PING Anser 2 1981 35" / Scotty Cameron CT Squareback Proto 35" 375g

Outlaw Golf Association #21

I broke my last Zero friction tee in my bag today... played the rest of the round with a wooden tee... first time i have used a wooden tee in 3 years

Ping G410 LST Fujikura Atmos Black 6X 
Ping TiSi Tec 3 Wood Ping Tour Stiff
Ping i25 19* hybrid Aldila Tour Blue S
Ping 410 Crossover 4 iron
Ping Blueprint Modus 120 S Powerspec 
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 48/52/56/60
Ping Sigma2 Tyne
Chromesoft Truvis

[quote name='dan360' timestamp='1442316494' post='12315582']
There is a certain sensation when biting a regular white painted wooden tee in half after a particularly errant shot that a Martini or Brush or other gimmick device cannot provide me.
[/quote]

Love the flag in your avatar. Aupa!