Weight Traininig For Golf

justinq721

anyone lift, if so is there a big yardage increase?
Over the winter in the abscence of golf ive been doing a limited amount of lifting (20 min 3x weekly) and since oct. ive added about 50 lbs to my bench press max. When I have a chance to hit outdoors I notice my swing has shorted significatly(now only parallel, loss of flexibility?) but my driving distance has improved about 20 yards. has anyone else tried hitting the gym for golf?

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I work out pretty regularly. I wouldn't say that I necessarily have increased my distance, although I'm sure I have. The one noticeable difference for me is I don't "break down", i.e. bad back, etc. during the year. Really take the time to strectch or you could probably hinder your game due to lack of flexibility sounds like your on the right track though, good luck.

I've been working out regularly for about the same time (20 min) running the tread mill first then using the free weights. I have seen MAJOR change in my swing and distance. I am able to make full turns and make moves that i wasnt able to before. Also by working my uppper body i have seen myself being 1 less club then last year. Although i will say, i did strain my back and shoulder using the weights, so when you do work out make sure you continue to do the same excersise all the time.

ya ive gained distance, ive also noticed my swing has shortened because i have the power in my upper body so now so ive stopped overswinging in a bid to get more distance.ive also become less dependent on hands and wrists for powert through through the ball-can use the shoulders and upper body to get the distance

bu t make sure when doing free weights to keep your posture good because if you dont it will seriously wreck your back :D

A few girls on my team and I train at a sports medicine place specifically for golf, twice a week for about 2 hours give or take. We do weight training that helps with the golf swing. The best part of the program is when they hook your legs up to resistence bands and then you have to hit balls into a net, left and right handed. Once a week we all go to this pilates place to work on our flexibility and core strength.

:) :cheesy: :miz: hahaa... or not lol. :D

I go 4 times a week for 3 hours - 30 minutes of cardio and the rest weight lifting. I have noticed that I have gotten a lot stronger, but I am just affraid that it will affect my golf swing. This is the first year that I have lifted, so I'm excited yet affraid of what the results may be. Anyhow, I am sure it will be fine, since a good majority of the guys on tour work out almost everyday, so who knows!

- Bryan

I would say even more important than weight training is streatching. Flexibility, even more that streangth, is what allows you to have a more fluid swing, gain more distance, and reduces the risk of injury. I limit my weight training to 3x arms with 20lbs of free weights and some leg work outs and some core workouts, but stretch out every morning and every night before I go to bed. I found that this combonation is great to improve your golf game overall and increase your driving distance.

KinG

I used to go to the gym, and I am getting back into it now, but when I was going I didn't hit it any longer, but my consistency improved out of sight, I only had one real shcoker of a round in that period, and usually my scores are all over the place, my scores were consistently around my handicap. I balance my workouts, I do some weights, stretching, core streghtening and a lot of cardio.

i work out every day of the week that i can(practically being forced by the weight coach)hasnt been so much lately w/ basketball games about twice a week. But that is getting over in the next week wo will really be able to work hard before spring golf.

Have also noticed that my swing is a little shorter, but much more powerful and controlled.

What kind of lifts do you guys do that is specific to the golf swing. All I do is the basic olympic lifts:bench press, military press, squats, and hang cleans. Along with:pull-ups, dips, dumbell row, curls, etc. All this stuff is great for football, baseball, & track, but im not sure if there are better lifts for isolating the golf muscles.

does not wreck shortgame...if you work on it everyday like you should. I dont really have access to a weight room everyday, so i go down in my basement, and swing my speed stick for 15 minutes, take a quick break with some sit ups and then back to the speed stick. Do this for a while till my arms feel like noodles..... My swing has gotten shorter as well, but its been way more controlled...until i finally realized i lost about 15 yards now im getting the longer swing back. It could have been because i was playing in 30* weather, but who knows.

I don't lift a lot of weights. When I do it's usually only 5-10 lbs. I do more stretching than I used to. It's good for keeping the swing around during the winter when I'm snowed in. It has also made it much easier to swing freely under the gun. Within the first month of stretching pretty routinely I shot 73 and won my first tournament. Distance doesn't come from weights. Consistency comes from a combination of light lifting and stretching and that will improve scores much more than an extra 10 yds with the driver.

i have noticed that my back swing has shortened considerably since i have started working out. i go to the gym twice a week and do muscle building exercises on my chest, arms, shoulders and back. i don't do it for golf but it has had an affect on my distances. i don't hit my irons as far any more but my handicap is consistantly falling. with the driver though, i think i hit the ball just as far as i used to if not further, but i put this down to me fixing other faults in my swing that i had in my 'pre-gym' days.

I do not lift a lot because it kills flexibility. My workouts involve light weights at high reps, lots of those stretchy rubber bands, lots of running, and supporting my own body weight. That way I stay flexible and get stronger, which makes me hit it further without a loss of flexibility and does nothing negative to my short game. When I used to lift a lot I actually found that I hit the ball shorter than before because I lost all my flexibility. Also, pilates are amazing for golf.

I've lifted a lot for the past 6 months. Worked hard and consistently have about a 5 yrd increase w/ each club. The thing most noticed was the ease that I can hit my yardages with. I would say working on the abs, lats, chest, legs, forearms, and triceps :D . These were and are the most helpful for me. You must PAY ATTENTION TO FLEXIBILITY, I noticed that I have lost some flexibility, but I am working to get some back. I am currently on a break because i'm heading to Tampa for my High School team trip tomorrow ;) . Good luck, and hit 'em far.

I have lifted since I was 14, and now 27. Lifting does not kill your golf game in any way. It depends on how you lift too. Obviously if you turn yourself into a huge musclehead monkey, you can lose some flexibility and it can change your swing. Also something like adding 8" to your chest may force you to change your swing. I'd say 99% of people who lift will not approach the point where they become big enough or change their body shape so much that it affects their golf swing.

As others mentioned, it is a good idea to stretch after lifting to stay limber. Especially when you are younger, it is easy to roll into the gym, start tossing weights around, and forget about stretching. I did for a long time, but now I have to stretch with lifting.

For the record, when I was 14 I was 5'2" about 100lbs, when I was 17 and went to college, I was 5'8" about 140lbs, and now I am 5'9" 180, and play to the lowest handicap I ever have.

I agree that flexibility has more importance in the swing

Agreed. If you lift for strength and muscle you wont help your golf game too much. It all depends on your routine.

If you guys have any questions about weight lifting feel free to ask me. I am going to school to be an athletic strength coordinater and would be more than happy to try and hopefully help you guys out.

ya ive gained distance, ive also noticed my swing has shortened because i have the power in my upper body so now so ive stopped overswinging in a bid to get more distance.ive also become less dependent on hands and wrists for powert through through the ball-can use the shoulders and upper body to get the distance

bu t make sure when doing free weights to keep your posture good because if you dont it will seriously wreck your back ;)

Swing has shortened!!!!! ;) Ha! :crazy: Good one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :idhitit: :bb2:

bu t make sure when doing free weights to keep your posture good because if you dont it will seriously wreck your back ;)

Swing has shortened!!!!! ;) Ha! :crazy: Good one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :idhitit: :bb2:

ok maybe the old overswing hasnt shortened but its grown on me....its part of me now....!!!

I agree that flexibility has more importance in the swing

Agreed. If you lift for strength and muscle you wont help your golf game too much. It all depends on your routine.

If you guys have any questions about weight lifting feel free to ask me. I am going to school to be an athletic strength coordinater and would be more than happy to try and hopefully help you guys out.

PM Sent