Classic Blades - What is your must have?

[quote name='teevons' timestamp='1355290143' post='6055293']
[quote name='chiva' timestamp='1355284992' post='6054917']
So Tembolo, your friend has the Tommy Armour 915 stainless blades? Nice! Those are indestructible. Maybe you could favor us with some pictures if you are able.
[/quote]
here are some nice Armour stainless 915t all original
[/quote]

Wow, even the grips look brand new. Now those were cord grips! I love those grips. No glove needed.

$$$$

• 3 weeks later...

are Hogan radial's considered "blades"? I've been away from the game for 20 yrs, just now returning. I first saw the Hogan radial in 1983 and fell i love.... this past week i finally bought a set on ebay for my return to playing. today i went to the range hit them for the first time, oh my, they're so sweet, it was worth the wait.

Congrats Bro. Trout! Both for your return to the game after 20 yrs, and your selection of clubs. As to your question, whether or not Radials are blades, IMHO they are, as they do not have an actual cavity back. I also think that some of the purists should have a little more regard for the Radial, even if the clubs aren't quite as pretty as their Apex, PC, and other cousins. I seem to recall an ad, indicating that Ben Hogan had a role in their design, as an assist to average golfers.
My regular gamers are Hogan Grinds, 1-SW,. but because of my own 18-year sabbatical, due to a broken back, with arthiritis flareups, I swap out the Grind 1-iron, in favor of the added bounce from a RADIAL 1-iron. Sometimes wonder why I don't just leave it in the bag. Have even considered adding 2 and 3 irons.
I think that Hogan devotees, having trouble with long irons, and who aren't comfortable with hybrids, should take a closer look at Radial long- and mid-irons. At some point, those who don't play the game for a living, need to remember that sometimes the goal is to stay in the game, not to look good struggling at it.
When I started down the comback trail, I carried a RADIAL SW, a $1 thrift store find. Great feel, hit some great shots with it, both sand and turf. Might be time to give it another try.

[quote name='Ol_Pardner' timestamp='1368297841' post='7012472'] Congrats Bro. Trout! Both for your return to the game after 20 yrs, and your selection of clubs. As to your question, whether or not Radials are blades, IMHO they are, as they do not have an actual cavity back. I also think that some of the purists should have a little more regard for the Radial, even if the clubs aren't quite as pretty as their Apex, PC, and other cousins. I seem to recall an ad, indicating that Ben Hogan had a role in their design, as an assist to average golfers. My regular gamers are Hogan Grinds, 1-SW,. but because of my own 18-year sabbatical, due to a broken back, with arthiritis flareups, I swap out the Grind 1-iron, in favor of the added bounce from a RADIAL 1-iron. Sometimes wonder why I don't just leave it in the bag. Have even considered adding 2 and 3 irons. I think that Hogan devotees, having trouble with long irons, and who aren't comfortable with hybrids, should take a closer look at Radial long- and mid-irons. At some point, those who don't play the game for a living, need to remember that sometimes the goal is to stay in the game, not to look good struggling at it. When I started down the comback trail, I carried a RADIAL SW, a $1 thrift store find. Great feel, hit some great shots with it, both sand and turf. Might be time to give it another try. [/quote],
Yes I remember from back in the early 80's an ad campaign, something to do with Mr Hogan's design, perhaps I'll search it out.
sorry to hear about your back and arthritis troubles, though sounds like you are overcoming. I have serious arthritis in my right hand too. I do love the apex also, and any WH. I hit these radial's so good @ the range yesterday, was a pleasant surprise ,I'm hopeful i will be able to get back to a sub 15 handicap before i retire. love the clubs guys are posting on this thread, keep it up.....

• 2 years later...

Ok, I'm medicated, bored and confined to a bed ;)

I'm rummaging through some older threads and Gals & Gents, this is as good as it gets on this or ANY board!!!

From the member's posts, and some of the old war horses were front and center with Brian leading the parade for the Australian Blades, which I would Love to get my hands on one of the early models, to Stage and a few of the true blade aficionados, to the pics included, THIS is a blade thread.

Maybe we give it a 3rd wind, maybe we don't-

However, if you're a lover of Classic blades, do yourself a favor and read through the thread-

I feel badly that this isn't in the Equipment Sectionn cuz all of the regulars in the Classic are familiar with these blades however the youngsters, who think that a Classic blade is a TMaG, Cally or Ricky Blade could do good to get some history on the true blades that paved the way.

Jeeze, do I sound old, lol

Hey you little turds, get the hell off of my lawn :)

Oh yea, You're Welcome :)

Stay Well My Friends & have a great weekend,
Richard

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

Here's a picture of my favorite blade set, the Founders Club 200 series. This particular set (2-pw) was obtained from the late Gary Adams and used to score my personal best tournament score. The 2 iron still makes occasional appearances when a bit windy.[attachment=2961418:post-2251-1262037552-2_thumb.jpg]

Titleist TSR2 10* (d4 surefit) Fujikura Motore Speeder 7.2s
Titleist 904f 17* YS7+s
Titleist 962b 3-pw s300
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 52* s400
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 58* s400
Ping Zing2 BeCu

Bought these for the bag they were in and thought I would sell them.

Played them once and they are now my go to set...

004_zpsol79zxjv.jpg

All Forged, all the time.
The Sets that see regular playing time...
67 Spalding Top-Flite Professional, Cleveland Classic Persimmon Driver, 3 & 4 Spalding Top-Flite Persimmon Woods, TPM Putter.
71 Wilson Staff Button Backs, Wilson System 3000 Persimmon Driver, 3 & 5 Woods, Wilson Sam Snead Pay-Off Putter.
95 Snake Eyes S&W Forged, Snake Eyes 600T Driver, Viper MS 18* & 21* Woods, 252 & 258 Vokeys, Golfsmith Zero Friction Putter.
2015 Wilson Staff FG Tour F5, TaylorMade Superfast Driver, 16.5* Fairway, & 21* Hybrid, Harmonized SW & LW, Tour Edge Feel2 Putter.

I got a set of hogan bounce soles +1 as a every now and then set.......after a reshaft they kicked out my titleist 712mb
Now I my eye are in the original hogan precision set

Titleist TS4 10.5 project x smoke 6.5
Taylormade m6 5 wood project x smoke 6.5
Titleist 910H (Diamana Blue 60S, 21degree)
Titleist 690.mb 3-PW s300
Titleist sm7 chrome (54, wedge flex)
Titleist sm5 raw (58, wedge flex)
Odyssey white hot #8 34"
Ball (donations found in the trees)
Titleist 4up stand bag
Nike TW20 

[quote name='oldschoolrocker' timestamp='1442708677' post='12336960']
Finally picked up my "I have to have it" set. [attachment=2961464:image.jpg]
[/quote]ooooooh Baby, the 71's, lol

Played em from 1975-1981 till I put the 17's in the bag-

I pulled em out every year for two vintage tourneys-

My All-Time fave Staff Blade!!!!

Extremely Well Played Rocker!!

Have a great evening Bro :)

All the Best,
Richard

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

[quote name='spezza11' timestamp='1442709710' post='12337022']
I got a set of hogan bounce soles +1 as a every now and then set.......after a reshaft they kicked out my titleist 712mb
Now I my eye are in the original hogan precision set
[/quote]I had a set of never hit in the original box Personals which were given to my Pro(Gary Ellis, PGA Professional of the Year 1987) by Mr. Hogan as Gary was one of the top Class A Staffers and Gary gave them to me for my 21st BD, even though I played Staff. I never played em and hell, I only took em out of the box to show a few peeps. Well, my Father's partner was basically a Hogan Lifer, starting with the Precisions in '55 and never baggin anything else-

As a retirement gift I had them set in a deep cherry coffee table with a glass top and navy blue felt interior and presented them to him at his retirement party.

I've posted these pics before however these irons stretch across 60+ years and has anything really changed?

I think not, lol

Thanks a lot for responding guys :)

Fairways & Greens My Friends,
Richard

[quote name='majic' timestamp='1442715100' post='12337326']
FYI from 1991-1996 I had over 45 players Worldwide playing the Maxfli TM92 Aussie Blades. Not all were staff players. Some were Titleist guys etc.
production heads made in USA at Hoffman and Tour in Japan
[/quote]What were your thoughts on the Hoffman forging a versus the Japanese forgings?

My Teacher, Pete Snead, along with his Bro, thought that The Hoffman heads were every bit the equal of if not superior to the best of Japan-

Obviously based on their allegiance to Staff, though when I questioned his ability to make an impartial objective opinion he got super pissed, lol, I couldn't see them saying otherwise, lol.

Fairways & Greens My Friend,
Richard

Not sure if these qualify as classic. But these are my favorite currently. 1997 vintage Titleist custom grinds . I myself have quite a few iron sets including Mac vip , haig ultra , 84 85 86 91 Titleist tour model , mp33 and several newer sets of blades. I guess the custom grinds are my favorite because I chased this particular set for 10 years and wanted a set of custom grinds in 1997 but couldn't afford them. Anyway thought I would share.

Lately I've had eyes peeled for a set of apex 88 redlines or 99 apex so looking to branch out ! [attachment=2961690:ImageUploadedByGolfWRX Mobile1442718884.860483.jpg][attachment=2961692:ImageUploadedByGolfWRX Mobile1442719004.770297.jpg]

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

BH,
Know of another member here with great set of custom grinds (3-9) :)
Mahalo and Aloha,
Mitch

Titleist TSR2 10* (d4 surefit) Fujikura Motore Speeder 7.2s
Titleist 904f 17* YS7+s
Titleist 962b 3-pw s300
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 52* s400
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 58* s400
Ping Zing2 BeCu

[quote name='Mitchell' timestamp='1442719694' post='12337588']
BH,
Know of another member here with great set of custom grinds (3-9) :)
Mahalo and Aloha,
Mitch
[/quote]

yea man! I do ... I hope they are treating him well! I am due a round with mine ...work has been crazy so im not getting more than 1 round a week in this month ,,,, so hard to go swapping around and play well.... But once it slows down for winter ill get the custom grinds out and the 975D and go all steel shafts for a while.... I guess at the rate im going I might as well go ahead and do it.... no tournament time left for me this year anyway....

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

[quote name='unhewn log' timestamp='1442722026' post='12337700']
Wow, there are some true classics and beauties listed here. So, it is with true humility that I post these. They aren't classics yet, but the lines are just spectacular:
[/quote]

yes sir...those and the FG62 are modern day classic in the staff lineup.... I foolishly swapped my set of FG 62 and wish I had not... very nice set there for sure!

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

[quote name='bladehunter' timestamp='1442722211' post='12337708']
Wow, there are some true classics and beauties listed here. So, it is with true humility that I post these. They aren't classics yet, but the lines are just spectacular:
[/quote]

yes sir...those and the FG62 are modern day classic in the staff lineup.... I foolishly swapped my set of FG 62 and wish I had not... very nice set there for sure!
[/quote]

Thanks BH. This is a WS re-issue of the FG59 (I think they originally introduced this line when Paddy won the Open, the 59th major win using WS, but I could be wrong). I love them so much I bought two sets, so I won't be iron ho'ing for a while. Those pics were of my 4i from my reserve set.

[quote name='unhewn log' timestamp='1442722980' post='12337736']
[quote name='bladehunter' timestamp='1442722211' post='12337708']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Thanks BH. This is a WS re-issue of the FG59 (I think they originally introduced this line when Paddy won the Open, the 59th major win using WS, but I could be wrong). I love them so much I bought two sets, so I won't be iron ho'ing for a while. Those pics were of my 4i from my reserve set.
[/quote]First UL, welcome to the board, it's great to have Ya!!!

Yep, the 59s are very special, actually my top modern Blade and second only to the 71 Button Backs as my All-Timer-

I played Staff from 1967-86 when I went with Mizzy through 2012(my last in the game due to health issues).

I rotated the Mizzy 68s with the 59s, having these in the bag for my last 5 tourneys in '12.

They're as fine an iron as is on the market-

I'm just curious though, and I know that the 59s were re-released and distributed through Watts with the "Tour Blade" moniker down where the "Fg59" is on my iron, though your iron more closely resembles the 51's that Payne used to win his Open in 91? Or did they do a few design modifications prior to releasing it besides the moving of the "Tour Blade" south and dropping the "Fg59." As I look at your pic, and bear in mind that I'm blind in one eye and hazy outa the other, lol, that iron doesn't really look like the 51.

The 51s had a longer heel-toe length and not as much "meat" in the muscle pad as the 59's. Really, they were supposed to be a "modern" rendition of the 17's.

Anyhoo, Thanks for sharing and I hope that you enjoy the board :)

All the Best,
Richard

Richard, I was very curious when I first bought these irons and called W/S and spoke to a rep, and he responded as you said, that they were a re-issue of the 59's made for E Watts, but also that they were designed from the legendary FG17s, with some modern modifications to the sole, leading edge, and muscle back. Not sure what that means...

All I know is that I picked them up as closeouts about 5 yrs ago for the insane price of $250, and after playing them for a couple of months I found another set. They are demanding, and let me know when my swing is not on, but I simply love them, especially when I'm swinging well - to quote the incomparable Van Morrison, they feel as sweet as Tupelo honey.

Probably the iron that I owned that has the best and also the saddest story, are the RAM Golden Ram Tour Grind Axial Forged irons. The set pictured is not my actual irons though they were identical, circa 1987(My set did have a 1i also, and it was the only iron in the set that I hit cuz I'd never hit a 1i. It was hard, LMAO).

As I've spoken of in other threads, I befriended Tom Watson and he gave me a set of his, brand new box and all, for my Birthday in 1990. Well, my caddie at the time, a young man who'd been with me since he was 16yo and was at the time 22yo and had recently been diagnosed with inoperable brain cancer. Brandon had been on my bag for my first two Club Championships.

I have never spoken of this on the board and this section and you Gents and Kathy Marie are as good as it gets so here I will tell it.

Tom was Brandon's favorite Player-

He idolized him and got to meet him and as we played twice with Brandon on my bag, and Tom was gracious enough to allow Brandon work his bag and I took another caddie. So he had a wall in his BR basically paying tribute to Mr. Watson, along with a few signed gloves, balls and a Pin flag from the club.

Well, I was devastated when Brandon's Mother called me and told me. He was like a son and I Loved him dearly.

So I gave him the irons as a BD gift.

The most amazing thing is that about a week before his passing I contacted Tom, and he returned my call from Ireland, as it was a few weeks before The Open Championship and he was getting some pre-tourney practice in and I told him the situation and would he, when able, please call Brandon.

There was silence on the phone and I could tell that he was choked up as he had really liked Brandon. You couldn't help but Love the kid. He was the Perfect young man and so positive.

Tom said that he would call him immediately the next day-

Tom did, and Brandon called me and I'd never heard him so excited as he recounted their conversation.

A week later to the day Brandon passed-

In his coffin was an 8802 putter given to me by Sam along with the 7i from this set, the autographed PFC flag and the 5i from this set.

In speaking to his Mother at the viewing, I understood all the things in his casket, with the exception of the 5i-

That threw me-

She smiled and said, "it's the magic wand"

Ya see, I use my 5i a ton, from places and distances that most guys would never think to hit a 5i-

And I used to hit it like I owned it-

It goes back to my Grandmother giving me first a 9i to hit for a season and then my second season she gave me a 5i-

LMAO, when ya only got 2 clubs and you're 300+ yards away, ya learn to hit a lot of shots, lol

Brandon dubbed it my "magic wand" cuz we hit a lot of great shots with that "wand" and I would there after just say "gimme the wand," lol.

Yep, he was Special :)

As are Tom and these irons....

Stay Well Kath and Gents :)

As Always,

Fairways & Greens My Friends,
Richard

• Like 1

Richard, I surmise your post had to be very bittersweet during its composition. I believe Brandon is looking down upon you saying "good shot". Thank you for sharing this story with us.
And yes, the Axials are a fine set of classic blades. Play them along with a set of TW wedges occasionally.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

Concerning Hoffman. In 1990 when I started working with them they had a small but dedicated staff of people working there trying to keep and grow the forged business. They did their very best to produce club heads to my specs and grinds that represented the best in playability. The material was great. As good as anything. Japan or anywhere.
The workers did everything the "old" ways. Very hands on. The plating was soft and not to heavy.
In 1996 when the then President of Maxfli decided to end assembly in Westminster SC and concentrate on golf balls I had the next generation Aussie blades done. Seve had just been given sets in November of 1995. It was a tough time for myself and several others at Maxfli.
Those new versions never made it into production.
Regarding the tour heads these were made mostly in Japan but only there because I did all Worldwide Tour stuff with the staff in Dunlop Japan. They look if you see a set a little different as each player had his own look. Tad