Does interest in golf ever fade away?

g8tor20

At 63 I have over 40 years in the game. There were times when my interested flagged a bit due to work, bad marriage, time constraints, but my love for golf remained strong throughout my career. I love all aspects of the game; the equipment, the technology, the agronomy, the techniques, everything. It seems like every time I got a bit stale there would be some new piece of equipment or some such thing that rekindled my interest. Helping other players (when asked) also keeps me fresh and in the game.

I did a lot of other things in my life, competitive sports mostly. All of the other activities were done in about five year cycles. For me golf is the one game that captured and kept my interest. I love this game, the history of it, and the people who play it.

To quote Harvey Penick, "If you play golf you are my friend."

It faded away for me for a year. I took the last year off from playing, even thinking, about the game.

I had played and practiced constantly for the previous 6 years so I guess I just needed a break. I went and did some other stuff and really dedicated myself in the gym.

I'm excited to get back into the game now though. The season is as good as over here so i'm not even going to bother going out and playing this year. I'll be putting in the hours in the dome over the winter though to get ready for next season.

Driver - TBD
3 Wood - TBD
5 Wood - Mizuno MX700, PF v2
4-PW - Adams CMB, C-Taper
Wedges - Mizuno T4 52/58, S400
Putter - Odyssey Versa #7, SS 3.0
Ball - TF Gamer

[quote name='Pembertont' timestamp='1441334646' post='12260978']
Man I sure hope it doesn't. I'm really looking forward to being one of the retired guys I see at the course every day who does nothing but play golf for a little dough and hang out with pals. Having a full time job, responsibilities, and kids can really put a cramp on golfing freedom. As long as I'm healthy I can't imagine not having the drive to play.
[/quote]

+1 . I just love being up the club and hanging with the guys that will never go away

Playing as a 0 cap I know it's inevitable that some day I won't be able to play that well anymore
I sometimes look forward to being that old guy every1 wants as there fourball partner cause he is a beast getting 4 per side . Every club has that guy and hopefully I can embrace that role and not get to upset as my game starts to fade away with age

I think the only time I'm not interested in playing, practicing, a golf magazine or forum is when I'm just back from a golf weekend/trip.

If I've played every day for three or four days, then I can have a break for a week and not even think about it. Otherwise with work & kids it's practice maybe a couple of times a week and play once. But I think about playing and something I want to work on every day.

[font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]Titleist 917 D3 9.5° - GD Tour AD MJ 7TX
Titleist 917 F2 15° - Aldila Rogue Silver 70 S
Mizuno MP H4 3 Driving Iron - KBS Tour S
Titleist 718 AP3 4-PW - KBS Tour S+
Callaway Mack Daddy 2 50.12°S
Callaway Mack Daddy Forged 54.10°[/font]
[font=tahoma, geneva, sans-serif]Cleveland RTX 3.0 [/font][font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]58.09°
Scotty 2018 FB 1st of 500[/font]
[font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]Scotty 2018 Global Ltd Fastback[/font]

I took up the game at 2 and a half years old (seriously), was on various TV and news segments in Australia, and won several junior state titles up until the age of about 15 when I gave the game up. At that point I was playing three times a week and eventually other interests took over and the passion was lost.
I've just turned 21 and have gotten back into golf, playing twice a week once more.
I think while new interests may take hold, golf will always be a passion that we have deep down, however the interest in it may ebb and flow depending on what's going on in your life at the time.

I'm 64, and this is my 50th year playing golf. I think I enjoyed It more this year than ever before. I started this year playing in January (here in Ohio) when it was 34* and have played all year long probably more than any other year. (I didn't say better) :) But I've learned to really enjoy golf, I guess that's the key for me. I took my first lesson last year, I learned some new things. Aimpoint Express helped my putting. I got 3 of Monte's videos which helped my game tremendously. I learned to re-grip my clubs and got some Golf Pride MCC +4 grips which are just fabulous, so I have kept it fun and interesting. Can't wait for next year already. I can still keep up with the younger guys in my league in the long drive competitions when we have outings, and it's funny because next year I qualify for using the senior tees in the league, they're already complaining about that...maybe I won't use them, not sure yet.

In some ways I'm thankful to live in a cold weather climate where breaks are forced. My golf "season" just ended at my cc, as far as comps go. That doesn't mean I'm not playing any longer this year, in fact I've got 2 trips in October coming up, and weather permits play usually through November. It's just that I don't necessarily care about practicing in between rounds very much. Due to work/family obligations, I'm taking the next 2 weekends off and it's actually a bit of a relief.
I think in general my interest has waned a little bit in the past 2 years. But I was obsessed prior to that. Looking forward to my off season and having time for other interests to be honest.

Wait.. Some people actually have fun with this game? I figured it was good for those who have a lack of self loathing.

I could understand why it would lose its fun to some people, especially when you get older. After the long winter months, I'm itching to play again. My game isn't where it was before the jerk old man winter came along and made me put the clubs away, and it's very frustrating sometimes, but I know it'll come back. If it were a physical matter of losing the ability/energy/drive to play like I know I could/can, I can see how that would get your mental state down a little bit.

However, as much as id love to be competitive on some level someday, I know that the odds are slim, so at the end of the day, golf is just fun for me, but I do understand why it would knock someone down a little bit to not be able to even remotely play at the level they once did. If I woke up tomorrow and couldn't break 100 again, I'd have a hard time accepting that and I don't know how much fun I'd be able to have anymore.

I have over the past couple of years lost interest in playing but still try to get out and hit balls at elast once a week during these spells. It does happen, especially if you don't have the time you one did to put the work in to stay at a respectable level. It can happen at any moment as well (typical of golf to play on ones mind).

The 2 instances that come to mind for me are cracking the face of my XHP 3wd. It was my fav club by a mile, used it 99% of the time off the tee and a couple times a round into longer par 5's. That happened in mid August a couple years back and I only played once more that season.

Second was earlier this season. Playing a top 10 course in Canada, nice par 3, full carry to 186 yards. Toe'd 2 straight 6 irons on smooth swings that didn't feel good and dunked them both in the pond 30 yards short right. Finished the round and didn't play again until I picked up my I20's. Still hitting out off the toe for some reason (tried many things), yet this has minimalized the miss dramaically and now I'm happy with my set again. Even put up my 2 lowest scores ever in the past few weeks of a 68 and a 69.

What's In The Ping Moonlite:
Ping Rapture '14 13*
Ping Rapture DI 18*
Titleist 690.CB 4/6/8/PW
Vokey TVD 54*
Odyssey Tank V-Line

[quote name='golfgirlrobin' timestamp='1441335432' post='12261050']
My husband is 68 years old, he's been playing for 30 years, and he's currently playing to his lowest handicap, ever. Retired with more time to practice, and he's playing smarter. He's given up the hero shot for taking his medicine and getting the ball back in play and I can't remember the last time he had a three putt. The goal is scratch by 70.

You can always get better at this game; I play all the time with old guys who shoot their age and get up and down from everywhere. If you're competitive at all, you just keep setting new challenges.
[/quote]

I do not think you can always get better at the game. I have been playing for 59 years. Played to scratch or better from 18 to 52. It has been due to injury or whatever, still play to a 5 today. Competitive, can't get anymore competitive than me, almost to a fault. Maybe if you never played at a high rate then you can get better as you age. Playing from shorter tee's has become the norm these days(6500 yds). Anything past 6700 yds is just not fun anymore. I have learned, an it took some time to realize that the game is slowly slipping away. I have no will to go hit 600 balls a day like the old days. Spend lunch time hitting chips and putts instead of eating. Those days are gone. I think you have to learn to enjoy the game for other reasons than competitiveness as you get older. I have slowly learned to have fun and just enjoy the game for the game it is.

[quote name='Kent01putt' timestamp='1442920112' post='12348936']
[quote name='golfgirlrobin' timestamp='1441335432' post='12261050']
My husband is 68 years old, he's been playing for 30 years, and he's currently playing to his lowest handicap, ever. Retired with more time to practice, and he's playing smarter. He's given up the hero shot for taking his medicine and getting the ball back in play and I can't remember the last time he had a three putt. The goal is scratch by 70.

You can always get better at this game; I play all the time with old guys who shoot their age and get up and down from everywhere. If you're competitive at all, you just keep setting new challenges.
[/quote]

I do not think you can always get better at the game. I have been playing for 59 years. Played to scratch or better from 18 to 52. It has been due to injury or whatever, still play to a 5 today. Competitive, can't get anymore competitive than me, almost to a fault. Maybe if you never played at a high rate then you can get better as you age. Playing from shorter tee's has become the norm these days(6500 yds). Anything past 6700 yds is just not fun anymore. I have learned, an it took some time to realize that the game is slowly slipping away. I have no will to go hit 600 balls a day like the old days. Spend lunch time hitting chips and putts instead of eating. Those days are gone. I think you have to learn to enjoy the game for other reasons than competitiveness as you get older. I have slowly learned to have fun and just enjoy the game for the game it is.
[/quote]

I'm 29 and play to a little better than 0. I've seen the game slip at various points (job, kid, 2nd kid) and I always have responded with some change to keep my game going. I learned to restructure my days, bring the kids to practice, get lessons, focus on practice during my rounds, and compete less often but with more preparation.

I can't imagine stepping on a 6400 yard course rated at 71.0 and considering 75 a good round. I can't imagine it being enjoyable. I would rather practice a bunch and play once a month than play at a lower level.

I'm sure you once felt the same. What changed? Is there a "giving up" mentality?

I played all through high school, then hardly touched a club thru college and a few years beyond. I got back into it 2 years out I f college because my employer had a weeknight men's league. Come mid Oct I hang up the clubs in favor of sitting in a treestand. Fall is hard because I like to fish and hunt as much as I like to play golf.

I took 5 years off from the game due to injuries and burnout. I didn't miss it all until one day I realized I just wasn't spending as much time with my good friends and family as I used to. That's when I decided to start playing again. I used to play for the competition, now I play for the comroderie. I'm not the player I was once was, but I can still poke it out there pretty well and I still play pretty well. I'm not grinding and practicing like Vijay anymore, but I enjoy the game a lot more now. There is always a ebb and flow to these types of things, but I think for some of us, we just need a reset of priorities to bring the love back into the game.

When I started golf at age 30 in 2000, I was obsessed with beating all of the guys I work with. Those guys actually turned me onto the game. Playing 3-4 days a week, plus range time.

By 2006 I was shooting in the high 70's and had beat every single one of them. That's when my interest dropped and I bought an Italian motorcycle. I really regret than choice because my game quickly descended.

We had a boy in 2008 and he loves playing golf. We live on a course and he loves playing with me. My game is slowly getting back to where it was at in 2006 but its a slow process. It doesn't really matter to me though because my son loves it and I want him to continue with that.

I still love golf but I don't live for golf.

Titleist 910 D2, Fubuki 9.5*
Exotics XCG V, Speeder 869, 15*
Titleist 910H, Diamana Kai'Li, 21*
Mizuno MP 32 4-P
Ping Tour Gorge 50*, 54*, 60*
Rife Barbados, 35"

my dad played a few times a week for 12 years and just this year all but gave it up, he's played 27 holes all year and even when we were playing you could tell he didn't want to be there. he says he just burnt himself out by playing so much and now that he's a grandparent he would rather spend time with the family

Depends on how well I'm playing. I get into slumps where the more I practice and play the worse it gets and I just get frustrated to where I'm not even having fun anymore. At that point I walk away for a while. Usually that helps and all the bad habits sort of naturally go away. Then I'll come back and get into a groove and it's fun again.

• 3 years later...

I'm only 51, but I see myself competing well into my 60's. Played my first senior tournament last year and loved it.

I have a buddy who's 60 and he's still competitive in mid-am stuff. He and his partner qualified for the USGA Four-Ball when they were both 57!!

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

I'm 29 and play to a little better than 0. I've seen the game slip at various points (job, kid, 2nd kid) and I always have responded with some change to keep my game going. I learned to restructure my days, bring the kids to practice, get lessons, focus on practice during my rounds, and compete less often but with more preparation.

I can't imagine stepping on a 6400 yard course rated at 71.0 and considering 75 a good round. I can't imagine it being enjoyable. I would rather practice a bunch and play once a month than play at a lower level.

I'm sure you once felt the same. What changed? Is there a "giving up" mentality?

The thing is, there is always age appropriate golf for you to play. At 50 years old you can play many city and county senior events. At 55, serious regional and USGA senior stuff. At 65, super senior stuff.

On a tough course in tough conditions when you're 58 years old shooting par or below on a course rated 71 with tucked pins will probably feel just fine for you — especially if you manage a top finish with those scores.

There are still PLENTY of ams in their late 50's and up to their mid-60's who break the course rating in legit tournaments.

Watching Tom Watson almost WIN(!!!) the Open Championship at 59(!!!!) years old gave me a huge dose of reality. I can be competitive as an amateur well into my 50s if not my mid 60s.

And that's what I plan to do.... :-)

Yes. For me the bar was always to work hard and compete, give myself a chance to roll a few good rounds into a shot at making some real money as a pro for a brief period of time. But as I get older, the odds get longer. I play golf for competition and at a certain point it get's harder and harder to compete. Now with work, family, bills... Less and less friends who are as serious about the game... Having to pay adult prices for golf equipment and lessons... Trying to get time on trackman or flightscope... It's almost impossible. So I ask myself what's the point?

Also the structure of Pro Vs. Am status in golf makes it very difficult for a really good am to work hard, have a great few weeks that rolls into a good year and potential tour status. I would be much more inclined to stay with golf in the future if there were no lines between pro and am status and am's were allowed to win substantial money. Like poker, or bowling.

Professional golf, at the real money level anyway is very protected. I would like to see the Am status rules change and more and different formats of competition, Long Drive, World Series of Putting etc.

You're telling me if an Am goes in, pays the fee, and wins the World series of putting, which is just 1 facet of the ame of golf, he's not allowed to win th eprize money? Or if an Am qualifies for a PGA event, they can't win a dime, they're not even given the option to take the cash and turn pro...

There are some really good golfers that essentially just walk away because there's not a lot there for them, I'm just about at that point right now. Handicapped events are punitive to low caps, scratch events don't pay anything... And you have no chance of being able to qualify for an event that can make you money because of pro/am rules. Competetive am golf does nothing but take from the competitors. And I'm not interested in playing that game anymore.

Yes, it does. I starting going to the driving range with my Grandfather when I was 5, and played golf often until I was in College. Then, I got into bass fishing and didn't pick up a club for 10 or 12 years, until I went to a birthday party at Top Golf in 2017. Went to Top Golf a couple more times and finally broke down and bought some clubs last August. Now its all golf, and not much fishing (winter is my favorite time to fish, too).

I think the "intensity" and "direction" of my interest has changed slightly as my boys have gained an interest. Although I enjoy my rounds with the guys, it's more fun to play with my kids. I am not so focused on score as I am execution, and watching them do well.

The thrill of hitting good shots, especially on your home course's famed difficult holes, never gets old.

I've gone from a scratch university player in the early 90's to a streaky 4 capper. I can shoot 72 or 85 nowadays or even go 60's on a great day. 39th year of golf coming up.

My desire for individual stroke play has waned dramatically. Injuries, flexibility, and age etc. Competing in Am and Mid-Am events used to really fire me up but I'm currently in a funk with that action.

I still love competing in matches and in 2, 3 or 4 man games where your day is not fried if you make a 9 on the third hole

Also, I used to play no matter the weather. 30 and light snow or hail .. let's go. Now I hate the cold due to my back. I guess I still love golf but for different reasons. I now have more appreciation for the course, the weather, the scenery, my pals, the needling, the flight of a perfect recovery shot, travel, etc etc

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 3w 15.1* GD AD IZ 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x 

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping i210 6i & s55 7i - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*ES, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

Yes. For me the bar was always to work hard and compete, give myself a chance to roll a few good rounds into a shot at making some real money as a pro for a brief period of time. But as I get older, the odds get longer. I play golf for competition and at a certain point it get's harder and harder to compete. Now with work, family, bills... Less and less friends who are as serious about the game... Having to pay adult prices for golf equipment and lessons... Trying to get time on trackman or flightscope... It's almost impossible. So I ask myself what's the point?

Also the structure of Pro Vs. Am status in golf makes it very difficult for a really good am to work hard, have a great few weeks that rolls into a good year and potential tour status. I would be much more inclined to stay with golf in the future if there were no lines between pro and am status and am's were allowed to win substantial money. Like poker, or bowling.

Professional golf, at the real money level anyway is very protected. I would like to see the Am status rules change and more and different formats of competition, Long Drive, World Series of Putting etc.

You're telling me if an Am goes in, pays the fee, and wins the World series of putting, which is just 1 facet of the ame of golf, he's not allowed to win th eprize money? Or if an Am qualifies for a PGA event, they can't win a dime, they're not even given the option to take the cash and turn pro...

There are some really good golfers that essentially just walk away because there's not a lot there for them, I'm just about at that point right now. Handicapped events are punitive to low caps, scratch events don't pay anything... And you have no chance of being able to qualify for an event that can make you money because of pro/am rules. Competetive am golf does nothing but take from the competitors. And I'm not interested in playing that game anymore.

Wow, very interesting take. I feel very much the opposite way that you do about amateur golf. Competitive amateur golf gives far more to me than I could ever give back.

But I do understand the way you feel, for sure.

I've gone from a scratch university player in the early 90's to a streaky 4 capper. I can shoot 72 or 85 nowadays or even go 60's on a great day. 39th year of golf coming up.

My desire for individual stroke play has waned dramatically. Injuries, flexibility, and age etc. Competing in Am and Mid-Am events used to really fire me up but I'm currently in a funk with that action.

I still love competing in matches and in 2, 3 or 4 man games where your day is not fried if you make a 9 on the third hole

Also, I used to play no matter the weather. 30 and light snow or hail .. let's go. Now I hate the cold due to my back. I guess I still love golf but for different reasons. I now have more appreciation for the course, the weather, the scenery, my pals, the needling, the flight of a perfect recovery shot, travel, etc etc

Love reading your posts, bud. :-)