hate the hex black

Golfer from MO

So was looking at some balls on ebay and this smoking deal found me, 36 hex black balls 24 shipped in 4 star shape. I figured I love the chrome plus, speed and respect the soft and this, was the flagship ball great deal! Wrong! Wrong! Wrong! !!

This ball is a full club plus short, has the most inconsistent spin I've ever had on a high level ball and is clicky as a mofo. I even tried to hit 13 different balls as I figured something was wrong with the ones I tried....and then the only consistent trait showed that it was consistently bad for all balls. ...truly baffled how poor this ball is in this market. After 8 holes of practice and being pissed I went to a srixon soft feel that smoked it in every category, even spin bc it was consistent. I have 33 balls for someone, 20 bucks!

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='justasgood' timestamp='1442316070' post='12315570']
The Hex black is designed to perform for higher swing speed single handicappers.... Not a ball for hacks.

I'll take em at $10 shipped
[/quote]

^^^THIS^^^, I currently play the Chrome Soft as well, but my prior golf ball was the Hex Black Tour, if your swing speed (my SS is 114) is not high enough you will not be able to take advantage of the ball characteristics, I love the Hex Black, I have to agree that it is clicky with the putter, but distance wise, "for me", it is great and the spin is just as good...try using a 3 piece ball (Chrome Soft, Volvik Vista, even the Srixon Q star), this might give you better results, good luck...

DRIVER: Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5*, Ventus TR Blue 6TX at 45"
3 WOOD: Callaway Paradym HL 16.5*, Diamana Flower Band White, D+ 82X Flex, tipped 1" at 42"
7 WOOD: Callaway Paradym 21*, Tensei AV white 75g S Flex, tipped 1" at 41"

IRONS: Callaway Apex MB 7-10, CB 4-6 -- DG TI S400

WEDGES: Callaway JAWS Raw 50, 54, 58 -- DG TI S400
PUTTER: SC Phantom 5, Stability Shaft, 33.25", Garsen Quad Tour grip (Toulon Chicago as back up)
BALL: Callaway CT X (current gamer), Srixon Diamond, -ProV1X and ProV1

[quote name='Golfer from MO' timestamp='1442292292' post='12315088']
So was looking at some balls on ebay and this smoking deal found me, 36 hex black balls 24 shipped in 4 star shape. I figured I love the chrome plus, speed and respect the soft and this, was the flagship ball great deal! Wrong! Wrong! Wrong! !!
This ball is a full club plus short, has the most inconsistent spin I've ever had on a high level ball and is clicky as a mofo. I even tried to hit 13 different balls as I figured something was wrong with the ones I tried....and then the only consistent trait showed that it was consistently bad for all balls. ...truly baffled how poor this ball is in this market. After 8 holes of practice and being pissed I went to a srixon soft feel that smoked it in every category, even spin bc it was consistent. I have 33 balls for someone, 20 bucks!
[/quote]
So let me get this straight.... You are reviewing and panning a golf ball that hasn't been in production for what, 3 years. Next thing we know you will be complaining about the guttie.

Ping G430 10K 10.5º Chrome 2.0 S (on order)

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45" (soon to be mothballed)

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Rogue 3iron Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4-AW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM4 56°, SM4 60°
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

[quote name='Socrates' timestamp='1442320982' post='12315820']
[/quote]
So let me get this straight.... You are reviewing and panning a golf ball that hasn't been in production for what, 3 years. Next thing we know you will be complaining about the guttie.
[/quote]

LOL!! Just said I got a good deal and my take on the ball. BTW if you have a good ball from 3 yrs ago it still performs similar to balls today.
BTW my SS is 120. I generally play V1x until recently Ive fallen in love with the MG ball but all top end firm balls usually play very well for me
I dropped several balls next to it including a mojo, a smartcore, a TM somethnig from walmart or somesuch as well as a v1 all from my found ball slot and chrome soft.....yeah all better and I included the smartcore for a reason.

Now understand these were seconds and I can only assume that some process they went through damaged the core in some way (they were not refurbs BTW) like a drying process perhaps. I did not buy these and grab it out of the box new, perhaps . Total enigma....again perhaps this is more of a warning for buying used balls than a hex black review.....naw its a review this ball sucks!

[quote name='Golfer from MO' timestamp='1442322341' post='12315910']
[/quote]
[/quote]

LOL!! Just said I got a good deal and my take on the ball. BTW if you have a good ball from 3 yrs ago it still performs similar to balls today.
BTW my SS is 120. I generally play V1x until recently Ive fallen in love with the MG ball but all top end firm balls usually play very well for me
I dropped several balls next to it including a mojo, a smartcore, a TM somethnig from walmart or somesuch as well as a v1 all from my found ball slot and chrome soft.....yeah all better and I included the smartcore for a reason.

Now understand these were seconds and I can only assume that some process they went through damaged the core in some way (they were not refurbs BTW) like a drying process perhaps. I did not buy these and grab it out of the box new, perhaps . Total enigma....again perhaps this is more of a warning for buying used balls than a hex black review.....naw its a review this ball sucks!
[/quote]
I actually liked the Hex Black but the cover was too prone to damage and didn't last long. I really like the Chrome Soft and from what my Callaway rep tells me, they have improved the cover on the 2016 Chrome Soft and introducing the Chrome Soft X which is what Phil is playing. They are killing the Speed Regime line and elevating the Chrome line. Now when I get my hands on some of those....

Ping G430 10K 10.5º Chrome 2.0 S (on order)

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45" (soon to be mothballed)

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Rogue 3iron Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4-AW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM4 56°, SM4 60°
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

Before you buy used balls in the future, do your homework, Hex Black are very good golf balls, if you have swingspeed to make them work. I no longer do, but I don't blame the ball, I would blame myself for purchasing them. Live and learn, young padawan.

2015 GBB 10.5 - MRC B Series 60S 44.75"
RFX 3 & 5 Woods MRC BB 73
RFX 7 Wood Matrix Black Tie 7M3
XHot Pro Hybrid 23 Accra Shaft
Apex Pro 5-W KBS Tour V or Recoil 110 S-flex (Recoil for Winter Season)
Odyssey WhiteHot Pro #7 Flatso Ultra grip
X Forged C Grind 52*
PM Grind 58* KBS 610 Wedge
Chrome Soft 2016 Yellow
Hdcp - between 3 to 5 over the year

i played this ball in the winter a few years ago and i really liked the way this ball just cut through the wind.
performance-wise, it was on par with other premium balls but it felt too hard on most shots and the covers would get destroyed after a couple of full wedge shots. maybe because i played it in the winter but it definitely was not durable at all.

[b]Now understand these were seconds and I can only assume that some process they went through damaged the core in some way[/b] (they were not refurbs BTW) like a drying process perhaps. I did not buy these and grab it out of the box new, perhaps . Total enigma....again perhaps this is more of a warning for buying used balls than a hex black review.....naw its a review this ball sucks!
[/quote]

Well there's your problem...not saying you should give these another try but basing a review on secondhand balls with a possibly sketchy background (eBay) isn't really helpful.

Cobra LTDx LS 9*
TaylorMade Sim2 Max 3W
TaylorMade Sim2 Max 3H
TaylorMade P-790 4-PW
Titleist Vokey SM5 52

Titleist Vokey SM8 56
Titleist Vokey SM7 60
Scotty Cameron Select Fastback 2

[quote name='Interpol' timestamp='1442329813' post='12316528']
[b]Now understand these were seconds and I can only assume that some process they went through damaged the core in some way[/b] (they were not refurbs BTW) like a drying process perhaps. I did not buy these and grab it out of the box new, perhaps . Total enigma....again perhaps this is more of a warning for buying used balls than a hex black review.....naw its a review this ball sucks!
[/quote]

Well there's your problem...not saying you should give these another try but basing a review on secondhand balls with a possibly sketchy background (eBay) isn't really helpful.
[/quote]

Agreed, I think this could be the issue as they all were subpar in performance - now the ball did all the things the hex pattern promotes and it was easy to flight lo med high but when it got there it was short and the inconsistency of the spin was frustrating. I have more than enough juice to play this ball and thought I got a deal but my bad on the hoing balls I dont need. Chrome soft x sounds sweeeeet!

The Hex black are the firmest urethane balls I have putted with. Great distance though.

I prefer the B330 for that type of low spin urethane ball.

Driver: Titleist TSR3 - Fujikura Ventus TR Velocore Red 6-X 

3 wood: Titleist TSR2 - Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 7-X

3-GW: Titleist T-100 Nippon N.S.Pro Nodus Tour 105 S

SW, LW: Callaway Jaws RAW 54* and 58*

Putter: Titleist Scotty Cameron Golo 6.5

Ball: MaxFli Tour-x; Titleist ProV1; Callaway Chrome soft X

• 2 weeks later...

absolutely hated these balls. bought a new box when they came out some years back with high hopes. was very disappointed. the feel was some of the worst ever for a premium ball. yuck. then what drove me crazy was the fact that the outer cover would develop these thin cracks in the paint that followed the hex dimple pattern. pretty sure it was just cosmetic, but it sort of pissed me off that for premium price, we got sub par quality control. every ball would show cracks after the first or second hit. terrible. my friend offered to buy the rest from me - not sure why, probably got sick of hearing me complain about them, but i couldn't get rid of the them fast enough. distance was pretty decent. but distance is pretty decent on a pinnacle too. i've played most of the callaway premium balls. this was by far their worst IMO. chrome soft was ok. I really liked the chrome plus, probably one of their better offerings. but the Hex Black? not for me.

It's probably because Okorie hits the ball so hard he lopsides those Callaway's. Dude has SERIOUS swing speed.

Callaway Mavrick Sub Zero 9* / Aldila Rip'd NV 65X
Taylormade SLDR 15* / Aldila Copper XTorsion 70X
Yonix Ezone 18* / UST Mayiama V2 75 X
Adams Super 9031  20* & 23* Hybrid / Aldila NV 85X
Maltby TS2 5 & 6 / Project X 6.0
Maltby TS1 7-P  / Project X 6.0 
Callaway JAWS MD5 Raw 52* & 58* / Project X 6.0
Taylormade Tour Issue Manta Ray / 32.5"
Callaway Chrome Soft X LS

Count me in on the hate for this ball. I have the swing speed mentioned above to supposedly take advantage of this ball. While it was fine on full shots, aside from it's terrible feel (for me), it's green side performance is what got me. 1/2 shots and pitches didn't react at all like any other premium ball I'm used to. Plus like others have mentioned, the feel on the putter drove me nuts.

On a related note, I do like the Chrome line and the SR3.

[quote name='Socrates' timestamp='1442323879' post='12316050']
[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]
I actually liked the Hex Black but the cover was too prone to damage and didn't last long. I really like the Chrome Soft and from what my Callaway rep tells me, they have improved the cover on the 2016 Chrome Soft and introducing the Chrome Soft X which is what Phil is playing. They are killing the Speed Regime line and elevating the Chrome line. Now when I get my hands on some of those....
[/quote]
About time they killed the SR line, they have been on life support since not long after initial release. For whatever reason, they just didn't capture the imagination of the golfing public. The chrome series has built up a much bigger following, this is a good move from Cally.