2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Bandon Report - September 2015 - With Pictures

First Trip to Bandon. Only had 4 days including travel days from Georgia, so I knew it was going to be quick.

Flew in to Portland, drive down was scenic but complicated by Oregon vs. Utah football traffic in Salem.

Got in about 6:30 pm. Only had time for PunchBowl that day. It sits directly beside the Pacific Dunes Clubhouse.

Green areas are very undulating. GREAT practice before you play courses at resort. Grass was Fescue mainly, so grain is different from courses. But you do get a feel for the speed and breaks.

Shot a 44. One ace, Eight 2 putts, Nine 3 Putts. It is VERY hard to 2 putt some of those holes.

Notable - Pacific Dunes Clubhouse has excellent quality food.

Best regards....

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First Day. Played Bandon Dunes at 0730, first tee time. Decided to avoid taking lots of pictures, so that we could keep the pace rolling.

Shot an 82 (Handicap 10.5). Very happy with that. Group told me I couldn't drive and hold #16. So with an extra ball I tried, pin high in the trap left. It is a hard green to hold with driver. Deer on #18 came up and licked my ball on the green. Must have been good luck, par.

Grabbed a quick lunch and headed to Bandon Trails.

Bandon Trails starts out in Dunes and quickly becomes a woodland course. #2 is a very interesting par 3. Green putted completely different than Bandon Dunes, took a bit to adjust. Shot an 85, due to some unfortunate tee shots. My caddie told me that #14 got lots of negative press. But I loved it. Great tee view, and I drove the front of the green. Missed the eagle putt, birdie.

Best regards....

Squeezed in Bandon Preserve after Bandon Trails. Shot a 62. Almost holed out #3. One birdie, ten pars, five bogeys, two doubles. Played with a threesome of old college buddies. Very undulating, scenic and interesting. You can actually putt on to some of the greens from the tees, especially #13. Seems a bit pricey, but I enjoyed it. I played #1 twice so I could say I played 50 holes that day 18+18 +13 +1 = 50

Best regards....

Golf heaven!!! :golfer: My favorite place in the world..

Ping G400 MAX 9° Motore Speeder 757 Evolution Tour Spec S

Mizuno ST-3 15° 3W Ventus Blue Velocore 70S

Tour Edge Exotics EXS Pro 19° 3H HZRDUS Smoke Black 80X
                                                  PXG 0211 XCOR2 Xtreme Dark 5-GW Mitsubishi MMT 80S
Edison 55°/59° DG 115 S200 Tour Issue
Edel EAS 4.0
Camino Sunday Bag
Titleist ProV1

Man, it brings back memories. I am going to have to cancel my trip planned for March 2016. I am going for sure in September 2017 when Nebraska plays at Oregon.

TI Taylormade SIM (9.0°) Tensei CK Pro Orange 70TX
TI Taylormade SIM Ti (15.4°) Tensei CK Pro Blue 80X
Callaway XR Pro (20°) Diamana White 90X
PING i210 (4i-UW) DG X100
Ping Glide 2.0 (54°) DG S400 TI
Artisan MT Grind (58°) DG S400
Taylormade Spider X Chalk SS

Taylormade TP5

Woke up pretty stiff. But gotta keep the pace going. Playing Old Mac first. Stiff swings cost me on the front, but after I got loose. Shot well on the back, 84 total score. Caddie says #12 one of the hardest par 3's to stick green, stuck it. Group says I can't drive #13, so I drive it to the front (but 3 putt). Almost drove #14, ball rolled up 3 feet short of green edge and rolled back. Fire damage still fresh all down the left side of #16. This is a course that I would play well if I played it often. Wide open tee shots, short par 4's and undulating greens that reward good putters.

Best regards....

Did you hit any bad shots? :-p
Kidding aside, always nice to read a Bandon thread - might get to the point where we get a special Bandon sub-thread in the PNW :)
Good to see you had a good time and the weather looked great!

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

Headed to Pacific Dunes, only had time for a quick lunch. Here is where the story gets a bit sad. Got a nifty birdie on a beautiful hole #2. On the tee box at #3, they were actively cutting away gorse bushes. I walked thru this area and touched a bush with my glove. Something off the bushes irritated my eye, so I rubbed it. Not knowing it was the beginnings of an allergic reaction. I blew my nose with a Kleenex I held with that glove. Then I tried to pop a piece of menthol gum in my mouth to relieve the sinus congestion that was coming quick. Bad move. Left eye nearly swelled shut. Nose and sinuses blocked up completely. Gum in my mouth cause my jaw to numb and my throat to feel tight. I advised the caddy that we need to get to my car quickly, as I keep allergy reaction meds there. We walked back #4 and #5, found a marshal with a cart. Got back to my car and got meds. Scary, but it turned out alright. Strongly considered going back out with my left eye swollen, but pro shop gave me a full refund (they didn't have to) so I decided against playing the rest with one eye and blocked sinuses. Staff was all helpful and responsive to the issue. High marks.

So unfortunately I did not get to see all of Pacific Dunes. But I can easily tell why it is rated the best of the 4. The holes I saw, had more obstacles on the edges of the fairways, which might make it harder for those of us with wilder tee shots.

Best regards....

[quote name='duffer987' timestamp='1443631665' post='12390886']
Did you hit any bad shots? :-p
Kidding aside, always nice to read a Bandon thread - might get to the point where we get a special Bandon sub-thread in the PNW :)
Good to see you had a good time and the weather looked great!
[/quote]

Weather was perfect. Wind kicked up a few times. But was generally reasonable.

I topped 2 drives on Bandon Dunes (no driving range warm-up), and got 2 double bogeys and still shot an 82. As a 10+ handicap, I was happy with that. I sent a tee shot in to woods on Bandon Trails and into a strange bush on the edge of a sand trap where the caddie says no one hits it. I hit in 8 sand traps on the Trails course. Not sure if it was bad shot making, golf course design or both.

Best regards....

Notes and Notable.

Drive down - Scenic. But traffic in Portland can slow you. No gas stations near the resort. Allow 5 hours.

Caddie - Randy Gibson - Would highly recommend. Especially if you need help with pitch angles and putt reading. Very experienced, 13 years at resort. Many years in area, excellent knowledge of trees, plants and vegetation. Knew answers to almost all my questions. Talkative when you are discussing something of interest. But does not annoy you with useless conversation. He usually double bags, but I was a single. We was with me for all rounds, except the Preserve. Be sure to schedule him in advance if you want him. I recommend a caddie, for at least your first visit.

Lodge - Well laid out. It is the epicenter of activity. So I would recommend you stay there, especially if it your first time. Room was comfortable but not luxurious. Lots of small touches that cater to golfers.

Dining - Recommend breakfast buffet in lodge $17.50. Had the Grandma's meatloaf at McKees Pub. This may be blasphemy, but I was not impressed. If you need a quick bite, you can order a burger in the lodge bar or get a pre made sandwich at Turnstand. Food was all decent and reasonable priced. Best food I had, was in Pacific Clubhouse.

Regrets - Did not have time for practice center and Shorty's. But I don't think I missed much there. Wish I was able to finish Pacific Dunes.

Shuttle - Quick and efficient.

Effect on body - No blisters or skin damage. Arch of one foot got a bit sore and back got tight. I attribute both to being overweight.

Scheduling - If you are a single golfer. Schedule as much as you can. Lots of buddy and corporate groups there who rounded out time with Preserve, Shorty's, Punch Bowl or Massages.

Overall - Pricey but worth it. Every golfer should play here at least once.

Best regards....

Thanks for the report, C!

Sorry about the traffic - it is worth noting that PDX traffic can really be an issue, especially I-5 on the weekend. Note to travelers: check the U of O and OSU football schedules if you're going to be driving on a Saturday in the fall. The freeway between Portland Corvallis Eugene can get really slow during the hours before and after game times. It can be especially bad if both teams are playing home games around the same time. There's no good way around it, either - taking the coast highway all the way down adds several hours to your travel time (though it's much more scenic), and that route has its own traffic issues.

Also sorry you couldn't get through PD. It only gets better as you move through it. No surprise at all the staff there responded the way they did. Those folks are awesome.

Guess you'll just have to come back (though shoot for late winter/early spring, as it's a lot cheaper, and the weather isn't that much worse, on average)

"take that, you miserable little white swine!"

Great summary and sorry to hear about the allergies. I did my first trip out there in May. It was phenomenal. I did a write-up of each course at tigergolftraveler.com. I didn't get to Preserve or Punchbowl. Good reasons to go back. Trails was my favorite. Food was phenomenal. I had a great burger in the Gallery and the fish and chips at McKee's were great. Pure golf and a wonderful place.

[quote name='tigergolftraveler' timestamp='1444073881' post='12413736']
Great summary and sorry to hear about the allergies. I did my first trip out there in May. It was phenomenal. I did a write-up of each course at tigergolftraveler.com. I didn't get to Preserve or Punchbowl. Good reasons to go back. Trails was my favorite. Food was phenomenal. I had a great burger in the Gallery and the fish and chips at McKee's were great. Pure golf and a wonderful place.
[/quote]

Finally, I thought I was the only one who's favorite was Trails.

Sorry about your allergies, living here and getting used to the allergens, I forget how much pollen we have.

[/quote]
I had the fish and chips at the Trails restaurant and they were phenomenal. I think they were different than McKee's. A bit less "rustic" maybe, but not necessarily better.
My fourth trip is scheduled for February! And I agree with Spud, which ever one I'm playing is my favorite!

G400 LST 8.5, Tour 75 stiff
G410 14.5, Tour 75 stiff
G410 19, 22, Tour 85 stiff
T100s, 5-gw, AMT White S200
Vokey, SM7, 54S, 58M
Never Compromise Portofino

Trails is the epitome of Oregon golf and is my favorite. Pac Dunes is a close second.

OP nice write up and pics!

TEE CB2 13* 3w, 43.5", 57g Fujikura Motore F1 X-flex
TEE CB2 15* 3w, 43" 65g Fujikura Motore F1 S-flex
Miura Black Boron 1957 Small Blades 2i-PW, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
Miura Black Wedges 53* and 60*, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
GripMaster Club Maker's Stitchback Grips
34" Piretti Bosa, GripMaster Pistol Grip

Registered Bladeocrat
Outlaw Golf Association Member #7

[quote name='buzlin' timestamp='1444258101' post='12424586']
[/quote]
I had the fish and chips at the Trails restaurant and they were phenomenal. I think they were different than McKee's. A bit less "rustic" maybe, but not necessarily better.
My fourth trip is scheduled for February! And I agree with Spud, which ever one I'm playing is my favorite!
[/quote]

I think as the trips continue and the rounds played goes up - will have 30+ in total after Thanksgiving - favorites do start to form, as you play the courses in different wind conditions and weather.
Last year my mate played Pacific for the first time, in the worst weather (not a hyperbole) that the two of us have played together in and it definitely made it difficult/next to impossible for him to really enjoy the course as it was head down, struggle to make a swing, gales + rain kind of day.
That round ended his day - but I went back out in the afternoon with another friend (who was only playing 18 a day) and we were first out after that gale passed over, zipped around on an empty course until the 16th and had a wonderful time and funnily enough he thinks Pacific is fantastic.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

Thanks for the post! Sorry to hear you missed the experience on Pac Dunes, but glad that the pro shop handled it like pros.

Brings back great memories.

It's truly golf nirvana and I hope everybody gets a chance to experience it at least once.

14 Beaten and Battered clubs,

a few balls and tees,

tattered golf bag and

one unwavering spirit that loves the game