2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Trend of Using Poker Chips As Ball Markers

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PRG makes these enamel coins the size of a poker chip, but with a magnetic/removable center piece that pops out for use when you're not away or you're near someone's line. Really easy solution for people who like a bigger mark.

Titleist TSR3 9* w/ GD UB-6 (S)
Titleist TSR2 15* & 21* w/ GD UB-7,8 (S)
Titleist u505 22* w/ Atmos Blue HB 85 (S)
Titleist T200/150 5-PW w/ Steelfiber i110 (S)
Vokey SM8 50*, 55*, 60* w/ S300
Scotty Cameron Toolbox

[quote name='Nine Miler' timestamp='1443651936' post='12392588']
[quote name='leftypga' timestamp='1443494118' post='12381932']
[quote name='Nine Miler' timestamp='1443191167' post='12366042']I hate the poker chip. I always carry about $1.05 in change in my pocket. Usually I have less than that when the round is over. If someone has their poker chip on the green around the hole, I assume it means they don't have another marker, because if they did, they would have the good sense to use it. I take the opportunity to toss them a quarter and a penny for use the rest of the round. That usually gets my point across in a pretty non-confrontational way.[/quote]

I'd probably hand you back a $20 and start using my driver cover as a ball marker if you felt the need to be that rude. It's a ball marker! Get over it.
[/quote]

I'm not sure if it's my rudeness in the first place or yours to use it. If it's in an event, which it would likely be if you were playing with me, trust me, you'd have a coin down.

For all the people saying it's a mental weakness thing, it's not. It's a courtesy thing.
[/quote]

Sorry but it is a mental weakness thing. What if there is a brown spot on the green close to your line? Do you also carry around a can of green spray paint. My lanta I thought I have heard of all the distractions in golf but this is truly a new one for me. Also if I was playing with you in an event and you tried to tell me to replace my marker with something else I'd kindly decline. I'd also probably start marking my tap ins close to the hole just because I know it bothers you. Call it gamesmanship but if you're going to let something as silly as a marker upset you I'm going to use it to my advantage.

[quote name='Nine Miler' timestamp='1443191167' post='12366042']I hate the poker chip. I always carry about $1.05 in change in my pocket. Usually I have less than that when the round is over. If someone has their poker chip on the green around the hole, I assume it means they don't have another marker, because if they did, they would have the good sense to use it. I take the opportunity to toss them a quarter and a penny for use the rest of the round. That usually gets my point across in a pretty non-confrontational way.[/quote]

I'd probably hand you back a $20 and start using my driver cover as a ball marker if you felt the need to be that rude. It's a ball marker! Get over it.
[/quote]

I'm not sure if it's my rudeness in the first place or yours to use it. If it's in an event, which it would likely be if you were playing with me, trust me, you'd have a coin down.

For all the people saying it's a mental weakness thing, it's not. It's a courtesy thing.
[/quote]

I was going to post a smart a** reply to your initial comment also, but you did say around the hole which, in hindsight, I thought was reasonable. But when you say "trust me, you'd have a coin down", at that point I'm using the chip for sure. I'm as courteous as they come on the course, until someone tells me how I'm going to do it.

I like to mark with my beer can!

I played with a kid the first two rounds of our state am this year and he used one of those chips. On the first hole I was thinking "good lord that thing is huge" but honestly I never paid enough attention to it after that for the next two days. I would prefer the people Im playing with to use a coin or something similar but it really doesnt matter nor will it bother me.

[/quote]

[/quote]

you're a bit of **** then as I would certainly tell you to shove the coins where the sun doesn't shine! there is no law stating a poker chip cant be used to mark a ball and the maker can be moved if its on your line.

[quote name='ratspros' timestamp='1443749295' post='12398496']

[/quote]

[/quote]

Sorry but it is a mental weakness thing. What if there is a brown spot on the green close to your line? Do you also carry around a can of green spray paint. My lanta I thought I have heard of all the distractions in golf but this is truly a new one for me. Also if I was playing with you in an event and you tried to tell me to replace my marker with something else I'd kindly decline. I'd also probably start marking my tap ins close to the hole just because I know it bothers you. Call it gamesmanship but if you're going to let something as silly as a marker upset you I'm going to use it to my advantage.
[/quote]

So if I asked you not to stand in my through line, in my line of sight, its a weakness thing? You guys are a riot. Never had a confrontation in an event with anyone I asked to use a coin. Ever. If you have to resort to a meager attempt like that at gamesmanship, you don't have a chance in the first place.

[quote name='dando' timestamp='1443797442' post='12400306']

[/quote]

[/quote]

you're a bit of **** then as I would certainly tell you to shove the coins where the sun doesn't shine! there is no law stating a poker chip cant be used to mark a ball and the maker can be moved if its on your line.
[/quote]

I don't play in net events, so there wouldn't be an interaction anyway, luckily we'd be able to avoid a confrontation that way.

[quote name='Nine Miler' timestamp='1443800126' post='12400550']
[quote name='ratspros' timestamp='1443749295' post='12398496']

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

So if I asked you not to stand in my through line, in my line of sight, its a weakness thing? You guys are a riot. Never had a confrontation in an event with anyone I asked to use a coin. Ever. [b]If you have to resort to a meager attempt like that at gamesmanship, you don't have a chance in the first place.[/b]
[/quote]

My 8 years as a golf professional would tell me that I do have a chance in the first place. I'm trying to beat everyone and if I can throw anyone in the field off their game and not effect mine simply by use of a ball marker, really a ball marker, then that's one person I already beat.

[quote name='Nine Miler' timestamp='1443800221' post='12400572']

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I don't play in net events, so there wouldn't be an interaction anyway, luckily we'd be able to avoid a confrontation that way.
[/quote] [attachment=2977402:cat-fight cats fighting.jpg]

Srixon ZX5  TT dynamic gold 95  PING G425 FST 43.25"  Tour Edge 721 Tensei blue 65  Mizuno T22 56* 60*  Bobby Grace AMG 6313 35"

[quote name='ratspros' timestamp='1443801137' post='12400642']
My 8 years as a golf professional would tell me that I do have a chance in the first place. I'm trying to beat everyone and if I can throw anyone in the field off their game and not effect mine simply by use of a ball marker, really a ball marker, then that's one person I already beat.
[/quote]

Nah, not throwing me off my game, I'll just provide you something else to use. If you refuse, and choose to take that path where your courtesy toward your playing partners is something you're not interested in, then I'll just know what kind of person you are as well. But that's a goods mental place to be in. Thats why we play right, to win?

@2putttom. Lol. Nice.

Good Lord, only on WRX could a frickin poker chip/ball mark thread turn into a brawl, LMAO.

There are Guys on both sides of this issue that I have a ton of respect for and you guys are the top guys on the board in my opinion.

Along with being great guys, and believe me, if we all showed up on the first tee in one month's time and introduced ourselves to each each other cold, my bet is that we'd have a great round and get along great, and end up laugin, lyin and drinkin a few pops afterward.

Not a doubt in my mind. Strong willed Type A's have a certain personality and see lines in the sand where 98% don't, and I'm not referring to the anonymous sheep that turn into keyboard kommandos when given a computer-

You guys know what I'm talkin about-

You're also in that less than 1% that plants a tee-

So I guess what I'm askin is, turn your ire towards me, lol, and tell me to mind my own f***** business, lmao-

Seriously, you're the frickin Leaders of the pack!!!!

Ok, I'm off to IVs and if this nurse misses my vein like she did on Tuesday, I'll show ya a line in the sand, lol

Stay Well Gents and use a frickin Penny, LMAO

Peace :)

RP II

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

[quote name='Splitter' timestamp='1443736831' post='12397560']
[quote name='Sean2' timestamp='1443645808' post='12392130']
I've upped the ante: I use a manhole cover.
[/quote]

Good call... I like this one but I'm not sure it would fit in my pocket....

[attachment=2976734:image.jpeg]
[/quote]THIS!!!!

LMAO

My Best,
Richard

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

[quote name='2putttom' timestamp='1443802407' post='12400742']
[quote name='Nine Miler' timestamp='1443800221' post='12400572']

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote] [attachment=2977402:cat-fight cats fighting.jpg]
[/quote]LMAO, the nurse just jumped back cuz when I saw this I busted out laughin and my arm moved, lol-

I'd be the kitty on the right cuz I prefer black-

Very well played Bro :)

Fairways & Greens My Friend,
Richard

Nine Miler,

In all actuallity, I think probably most here would gladly switch out the chip for a coin when you politely asked them (at least I know I would). I think it just got people a little fired up when it sounded like you were telling them what they were going to do.

Richard, mind your own eff*** business!!! (remember, you told us to say it!) :taunt: You know, all in good fun!

True story. Our pro marks with one. I hit a really (really!) bad putt one round, pulled it at least 8" off line. HIt his chip and deflected into the hole for birdie.

[quote name='deadsolid...shank' timestamp='1443806481' post='12401106']
Nine Miler,

In all actuallity, [b]I think probably most here would gladly switch out the chip for a coin when you politely asked them (at least I know I would).[/b] I think it just got people a little fired up when it sounded like you were telling them what they were going to do.

Richard, mind your own eff*** business!!! (remember, you told us to say it!) :taunt: You know, all in good fun!

True story. Our pro marks with one. I hit a really (really!) bad putt one round, pulled it at least 8" off line. HIt his chip and deflected into the hole for birdie.
[/quote]

I know they would, because nobody has ever reacted poorly. Ever. I got my dander up when folks started with the "I'm using my hubcap and you can kick rocks" attitude, because we know in real life, nobody is going to be that big of an a** when I hand them a penny.

Richard mind your own damn business. If I knew how to insert a winky face here I would so everyone knows I am joking.

I should also clarify that I do not use these large poker chips, I use a Loonie. Tried the poker chip a couple of times but found I was always moving it from someone's line because they are so thick and somewhat guessing where on the diameter of the thing I had actually precisely marked my ball.

Only point I was trying to make was if someone complained about something as trivial as a ball marker around a hole I'd probably use that to my advantage in a match. I'll fully admit it's a ****** move but it will be effective to a lot of people, not all but most.

I remember back in college we were playing against a private school with all rich kids on their team. One of their players who I was up against made a comment on the first par 3 about me searching for a tee to long and it bothering him. He offered me a tee as if I couldn't afford them and I declined. From there on in every tee box I searched for a tee. The guy couldn't keep it together from searching for a tee. Handily won my match and grabbed a handful of new tees from the starter shack right after walking off 18.

[quote name='Nine Miler' timestamp='1443806736' post='12401138']
Nine Miler,

In all actuallity, [b]I think probably most here would gladly switch out the chip for a coin when you politely asked them (at least I know I would).[/b] I think it just got people a little fired up when it sounded like you were telling them what they were going to do.

[/quote]

I know they would, because nobody has ever reacted poorly. Ever. I got my dander up when folks started with the "I'm using my hubcap and you can kick rocks" attitude, because we know in real life, nobody is going to be that big of an a** [b]when I hand them a penny.[/b]
[/quote]

i think the point of contention is the passive aggressive attitude of handing someone a coin as opposed to actually just asking if they could use something else. this is akin to saying, "those plastic evolve tee you use are horrible, take this wooden one and like it!"

basically, you're no longer asking, but it's more of a command then, and really no one wants to be told what to do.

[quote name='papichulosteve' timestamp='1443812178' post='12401614']
[quote name='Nine Miler' timestamp='1443806736' post='12401138']
Nine Miler,

[/quote]

I know they would, because nobody has ever reacted poorly. Ever. I got my dander up when folks started with the "I'm using my hubcap and you can kick rocks" attitude, because we know in real life, nobody is going to be that big of an a** [b]when I hand them a penny.[/b]
[/quote]

i think the point of contention is the passive aggressive attitude of handing someone a coin as opposed to actually just asking if they could use something else. this is akin to saying, "those plastic evolve tee you use are horrible, take this wooden one and like it!"

basically, you're no longer asking, but it's more of a command then, and really no one wants to be told what to do.
[/quote]

I see your point, however, in my experience the poker chip guy doesn't have a penny. So instead of having him go back to the bag, rummage around, etc. I just offer one up. I'm still asking, and not telling them to replace it, I am just offering up a solution while I'm asking.

I have played with Thunderbuzzworth a bunch of times. I have tossed him a penny on more than one occassion. Dude is like 6'2" and about 230 lbs. of muscle. If I thought it was a confrontational gesture, that wouldn't be the guy to pick to try it on. I don't think I've pissed him off yet, and believe me, when that rainbow colored Bettinardi hubcap comes out the next time we play, I'll have a penny ready for him. ;)