2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

What if you could play golf in 1/2 hour...

Would you play on a 3- hole golf course located close to your work/ home, if it meant playing in a 1/2 hour and costing only $5?

The scenario would play out something like this:

- 3 hole course with one par 5, 4, 3.

- multiple tee boxes with varying distance and angles, different tee placements/ pin positions changed daily to keep things as interesting as possible on a 3- hole course.

- average round of 30 minutes. Could play and eat on your lunch break, before after work.

- a practice putting/ chipping green and warm up mat/ net would be available.

- holes are bordered with lateral stakes, one stroke penalty. Ball is hit across into your fairway, toss it back.

- target audience and most of the "regular" play would be expected on weekdays, working crowd. An emphasis on beginners/ juniors during weekends as avid golfers will want to play a full size course.

- would be walking only as 3 holes in close proximity would be easy. A couple carts could be available for elderly and folks with disability.

Unlike a par 3 course, this gives you a time and cost sensitive round of golf while still being able to hit all of your clubs. Each hole can play up to 50 yards different with alternate angles each day. In urban/ suburban areas this could provide affordable access to "real" golf without having to travel to a full size course.

This is not meant as a replacement for golf as it is. This would be a sort of "convenience golf" to get working people playing more often, playing better, without sacrificing a ton of time and money. Anyone would be welcome to play but we would be specifically targeting people who think golf takes too long and costs too much.

Taylormade 320 driver

SYB-714 5-wood

GEOM Moe odds

GEOM 57/ 13

Kirkland ball

Halflight Golf Bag

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can see where this could definitely have a niche with those that may not have the luxury of a 3 1/2-5+ hour round due to family, personal, professional or other commitments.

For me personally, no, I would not use this type of facility.

Those 3 1/2-4 1/2 hours were an escape from my family, personal, professional and other commitments.

However, after further thought(this happens often with my medicated brain ;) ), as a consultant, I would travel to other cities and if there was a facility like this near my hotel, I would definitely use it, and the time frame would be perfect because I usually have only 30-60 minutes of free time when I'm traveling.

Fairways & Greens My Friend,
Richard

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

Yeah, but I'd play it six times.

Driver: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - 10.5*
Fairway: Callaway Epic Max - 15*, 21*, 25*

Hybrid:  Ping G425 30*
Irons: TaylorMade Stealth 7-AW
Wedges: PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II 56* 

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II 62*
Putter:  Directed Force 2.1
Ball:  Callaway Chrome Soft

It seems that when property value trumps golf revenue, courses go from 18 or 9... To nonexistent. Surprised there hasn't been more experimentation with fewer holes, especially in areas where space is tight. I think travel combined with the length of a round makes weekday golf rare if not impossible for many young/ middle aged golfers.

Taylormade 320 driver

SYB-714 5-wood

GEOM Moe odds

GEOM 57/ 13

Kirkland ball

Halflight Golf Bag

My only question is that how does one figure 3 holes in 30 minutes(10 minutes/hole) when most rounds average 15-20 minutes/hole?

Have a nice evening...

All the Best,
Richard

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

I don't see it being played in 30 minutes by most.

I don't see the economies of scale needed for the maintenance equipment/chemicals/etc. needed to keep it up if it's stand alone vs. what it will generate in revenue coming out well.

Not sure about the need for a par five with acreage being a consideration. Location vs. stated target golfers could be tricky, can't be all things to all but "avid" golfers.

As part of a larger practice facility I'd be interested in something like this BUT only if I had no access to a real course where I have a range and can already play 1, 4, 18 or 36 pretty much whenever I want. Wouldn't ever prefer the short course to the real thing.

Interesting idea, though, a lot to think about.

Oops, just saw the $5 a round stated price.

Had a discussion with someone who loved to bicycle. Local bike shop for sale at inflated price. He thought he'd buy it as a "sideline" separate from his medical practice. I advised serious discussion with his accountant. CPA said, "Doc, why not just buy a bunch of bikes and give them away, you'll come out way ahead."

Unless it's intended just to basically give rounds away, I don't see the facility making expenses/providing any return ever at $5 a round.

[quote name='Forged4ever' timestamp='1443834678' post='12403260']
My only question is that how does one figure 3 holes in 30 minutes(10 minutes/hole) when most rounds average 15-20 minutes/hole?

Have a nice evening...

All the Best,
Richard
[/quote]

15 minutes per hole is the standard promoted by most courses, which is 4:30 a round. I've been on public/ community golf courses that expect play under 4 hours... and they get it when enforced. 3 holes with minimal distance between the holes and only lateral stakes would make for a quick loop for most. A slow foursome might take 45, a quick twosome in 20 minutes.

I think only one minute looking for your ball would also be a good local rule. If you mark your ball, you can pick it up in the pro shop lost ball bin. Looking at more of a community oriented approach for quick play. No one should be out on a three hole course playing "tournament pace" golf.

30 minutes might not always be the pace, but it's an attainable goal IMO.

The best to you as well,
Evan

Taylormade 320 driver

SYB-714 5-wood

GEOM Moe odds

GEOM 57/ 13

Kirkland ball

Halflight Golf Bag

I think it would have to be a lot more then $5 to make it reasonable on a business stand point. You are limited to the same number of golfers as a regulation golf course. 4players x 8tee times/hr x 10hr of tee times a day x $5/player = $1,600 a day in green fees. That's not much to run a course on.

I like the idea but me personally I'd rather go to a golf course and chip and putt for 30min on their practice green then play 3 holes. One course near me has a three hole practice loop and it isn't that busy. They charge $25 for the loop day pass or $40 for loop and range/chipping green day pass.

With the advancements in synthetic grasses I'm hoping to see more driving ranges with chipping/putting greens.

[quote name='Hawkeye77' timestamp='1443837377' post='12403476']
Oops, just saw the $5 a round stated price.

Had a discussion with someone who loved to bicycle. Local bike shop for sale at inflated price. He thought he'd buy it as a "sideline" separate from his medical practice. I advised serious discussion with his accountant. CPA said, "Doc, why not just buy a bunch of bikes and give them away, you'll come out way ahead."

Unless it's intended just to basically give rounds away, I don't see the facility making expenses/providing any return ever at $5 a round.
[/quote]

it depends, on a lot of factors... as any business. a foursome at $5 each is $20. 6 tee times an hour is $120. You could easily pull in $1000 a day just in greens fees. Built from scratch the operation could be very streamlined with minimal overhead. Sure, you're not going to make a fortune...

Taylormade 320 driver

SYB-714 5-wood

GEOM Moe odds

GEOM 57/ 13

Kirkland ball

Halflight Golf Bag

[quote name='ratspros' timestamp='1443838766' post='12403562']
I think it would have to be a lot more then $5 to make it reasonable on a business stand point. You are limited to the same number of golfers as a regulation golf course. 4players x 8tee times/hr x 10hr of tee times a day x $5/player = $1,600 a day in green fees. That's not much to run a course on.

I like the idea but me personally I'd rather go to a golf course and chip and putt for 30min on their practice green then play 3 holes. One course near me has a three hole practice loop and it isn't that busy. They charge $25 for the loop day pass or $40 for loop and range/chipping green day pass.

With the advancements in synthetic grasses I'm hoping to see more driving ranges with chipping/putting greens.
[/quote]

Chipping and putting is not going for a walk and playing 3 holes... Plus a course doesn't charge for chipping and putting, which is not a viable business model... Convenience is also the main point, I'm not driving 20 minutes to and from the full size course on my lunch to hit a few chips and putts. A full size 180+ acre course is not an option in a mostly developed area, while remaining close to homes/ businesses. The practice loop isn't busy because it is part of a full size facility. It is also not busy because it is $25 for 3 holes... That amounts to $150 per 18. Well above most people's budget.

Taylormade 320 driver

SYB-714 5-wood

GEOM Moe odds

GEOM 57/ 13

Kirkland ball

Halflight Golf Bag

[quote name='TitlePured' timestamp='1443839245' post='12403600']
people thought little Caesars couldn't sell pizza at $5 either...
[/quote]

Little Caesars makes a little bit of money off a large large number of pizzas. The problem with any golf course is you reach maximum play fairly quickly, and you can not do the same economies of scale as little Caesars. For this to work you would need more land then a driving range but you will max out servicing 32 golfers an hour. A driving range can go double decker and have 100 stalls. Meaning you can go through 150-200 golfers an hour. Also driving ranges around me are north of $10 a bucket and have little to no maintenance equipment.

Perhaps there are cities or towns this makes more sense to do but where I live the land alone for say 20acres in the city would be north of $4mil unless it was unusable land such as being in a flood plane or contaminated on top of an old garbage dump. Throw in $1mil to build the course/facilities and you're at $5mil. At $1,600 a day x 200 days a year (only half a year season up in Canada) and your income before expenses or taxes is $320,000. That's a terrible ROI and wouldn't make sense to do.

[quote name='TitlePured' timestamp='1443839844' post='12403644']
[quote name='ratspros' timestamp='1443838766' post='12403562']

[/quote]

Chipping and putting is not going for a walk and playing 3 holes... Plus a course doesn't charge for chipping and putting, which is not a viable business model... Convenience is also the main point, I'm not driving 20 minutes to and from the full size course on my lunch to hit a few chips and putts. A full size 180+ acre course is not an option in a mostly developed area, while remaining close to homes/ businesses. The practice loop isn't busy because it is part of a full size facility. It is also not busy because it is $25 for 3 holes... That amounts to $150 per 18. Well above most people's budget.
[/quote]

True chipping and putting is not going for a walk and playing 3 holes. I am saying I would rather chip and putt for 30min then play 3 holes.

A lot of courses around here do charge for use of their practice facilities. The above mentioned course is $40/day. That $25 for the loop is an all day rate so you could technically play it 6 times and play 18 holes for $25 where as there daily green fee is in the $135 range.

Charging for practice facilities is a hard thing to monitor, how do you know someone is just putting and not playing that day? It's so hard to monitor that a lot of golfers don't even know they are supposed to pay to practice that they just go out for free.

If this is a business model you are looking into I do wish you all the best but would caution you to charge slightly more then $5. I think at $15 it makes more financial sense with our short season. If you are in a place that has a year long season perhaps $10 would be a break even point. Should definitely be the same or slightly more then a bucket of balls in your area I would think.

You'll suffer from trying to overcome the initial investment..... You're looking at a pretty substantial investment to acquire land, design, and to build the holes. $5 a round won't cover it because you're not going to be full all day every day. You typically want to make a decent ROI, and this model will return what, 2% or so max?

[quote name='ratspros' timestamp='1443840457' post='12403692']
[quote name='TitlePured' timestamp='1443839245' post='12403600']
people thought little Caesars couldn't sell pizza at $5 either...
[/quote]

Little Caesars makes a little bit of money off a large large number of pizzas. The problem with any golf course is you reach maximum play fairly quickly, and you can not do the same economies of scale as little Caesars. For this to work you would need more land then a driving range but you will max out servicing 32 golfers an hour. A driving range can go double decker and have 100 stalls. Meaning you can go through 150-200 golfers an hour. Also driving ranges around me are north of $10 a bucket and have little to no maintenance equipment.

Perhaps there are cities or towns this makes more sense to do but where I live the land alone for say 20acres in the city would be north of $4mil unless it was unusable land such as being in a flood plane or contaminated on top of an old garbage dump. Throw in $1mil to build the course/facilities and you're at $5mil. At $1,600 a day x 200 days a year (only half a year season up in Canada) and your income before expenses or taxes is $320,000. That's a terrible ROI and wouldn't make sense to do.
[/quote]

1 million dollars to build 3 holes? It seems like you're giving me worse case scenarios... How about 20 acres for $500,000 and I build the course with some local guys... No one cares if the local 3 hole course was designed by a experienced architect. I'm not in Canada, we have 250-300 days of golf season.

Taylormade 320 driver

SYB-714 5-wood

GEOM Moe odds

GEOM 57/ 13

Kirkland ball

Halflight Golf Bag

The real question is would you play 3 holes... You have an hour to burn and the nearest 9/ 18 hole course is 15+ minutes away.

To those concerned about the business model... $5 is a 3 hole walking greens fee. A cafe/ snack bar, tees, balls, drinks, will all add additional revenue with little investment. The property does not have to be prime real estate... Only closer than the full size courses. Top ranked, championship courses are often made from undesirable properties.

Taylormade 320 driver

SYB-714 5-wood

GEOM Moe odds

GEOM 57/ 13

Kirkland ball

Halflight Golf Bag

$5 to play 3 holes is a bit high. I can play 18 hole courses with cart for less than $30 all day long. There is a local course that has 27 holes and charges $12 to walk and play as many holes as you want. I'll play it after 1 pm for $6. Playing 3 holes wouldn't be worth my time. If it was more than 5 mins away it wouldn't be worth the drive either just to play 3 holes. This is coming from a person that wont play unless I'm playing at least 18. I'm more for an 18 hole executive course than a 3 hole course.

The John Prince park golf center has a 3 hole course, short game area and driving range. I haven't been there in over a year but it was nice to practice and then play the holes and practice and then play the holes. I think their rate was $6-8 a loop or $18-20 unlimited.
http://www.pbcgov.com/parks/sports/golf/johnprince/#.Vg_QEMvD_qA

As a guy who hates whacking range balls but loves to play, I would go there in a minute !!

As a finance guy who's good with numbers, I don't know if a place like that would be profitable enough as a stand alone entity.

Add a putt-putt, snack shop, and a handful of poker machines.....

X________________________________ Sign Here

[quote name='Greenie' timestamp='1443876439' post='12404606']
$5 to play 3 holes is a bit high. I can play 18 hole courses with cart for less than $30 all day long. There is a local course that has 27 holes and charges $12 to walk and play as many holes as you want. I'll play it after 1 pm for $6. Playing 3 holes wouldn't be worth my time. If it was more than 5 mins away it wouldn't be worth the drive either just to play 3 holes. This is coming from a person that wont play unless I'm playing at least 18. I'm more for an 18 hole executive course than a 3 hole course.
[/quote]

Do you work full time? Have a wife/ kids? if you want to play at least 18, how often do you play?

Also, curious to know what's the name of the course that has a $6 twilight rate on an 27 hole golf course. Ive never heard of a rate that low... Even the regular $12 rate does not make sense. I appreciate your input.

Taylormade 320 driver

SYB-714 5-wood

GEOM Moe odds

GEOM 57/ 13

Kirkland ball

Halflight Golf Bag

All of these suggestions for specific courses with less than standard # of holes makes little sense to me. 6 hole "rounds" 12 hole courses, now 3 hole. Every single course with 9 holes can offer this if they wanted to.

The problem with this idea is that if the target players, the office worker looking to get in some golf while choking down his baconator, all come out between 11 and 1, forget 30 minutes. It might take that long to get to the tee after paying. In order to survive, the number of people needed to show up during the lunch rush would make the whole thing grind to a halt. And I think like most people here, I'd love to be able to do walk up, Pay my money and hit away. But theres no way that would ever happen during that peak time. And if it did, I'll enjoy it while it lasts because it won't be there long.

And honestly, the post work 515 guys will almost always try to sneak in 9 holes elsewhere.

l appreciate the creative thinking. I just think this, if successful for a time, is a novelty that would wear off quickly.

Callaway XR Pro Attas Tour SPX X
Taylormade Tour issue 15* V Steel 3 wood
Hybrid undecided
Cobra Amp Cell Pro's (All MB) 4-GW Project X Rifle 6.0
Cleveland CG15 56 and 60
White Hot 6 Long Neck

[quote name='TitlePured' timestamp='1443882110' post='12404916']
[/quote]

Do you work full time? Have a wife/ kids? if you want to play at least 18, how often do you play?

Also, curious to know what's the name of the course that has a $6 twilight rate on an 27 hole golf course. Ive never heard of a rate that low... Even the regular $12 rate does not make sense. I appreciate your input.
[/quote]

Yes I do work full time, have a wife and a daughter. I played twice a week up until this yr, because I finally got tired of the 5 hr. rounds I constantly ran into. I played once a month this summer. That's not because I didn't have the time but because I thought I could have more fun doing something else besides standing around waiting in the fairway to hit each shot. I've started back up recently. Colder weather thins the herd so to speak .
I'll post a link to the course and the walking prices. They charge me $12 on the weekend and $6 during the week afternoons. I see they have it listed $13 on the weekends and $8 twilight on their site.I hope that isn't to far out of line on my statements on what they charge me.

[url="http://www.frederickgolfclub.com/frederick-golf-rates/#.Vg_r3PlViko"]http://www.frederick...s/#.Vg_r3PlViko[/url]

[b]FREDRICK GOLF CLUB[/b]
[color=#67675D][background=rgb(255, 255, 254)]The greens fee is good for an unlimited number of holes while you are on the property. If you leave and return you will have to pay the greens fee again. The cart rates listed below include the greens fee. Rates are applied per person, regardless if they are playing or spectating.[/background][/color]
[b]Tuesday-Thursday[/b] Walking $10.25
[b]Friday-Monday[/b] Walking $13.00
[b]Twlight Everyday after 3pm[/b] Walking $8.00
[b]Senior Rate Monday-Friday[/b] Seniors (55+) Senior rates are only Monday-Friday. There is no senior rate for Holidays or weekends. Walking $8.00

[quote name='KYMAR' timestamp='1443882921' post='12404992']
All of these suggestions for specific courses with less than standard # of holes makes little sense to me. 6 hole "rounds" 12 hole courses, now 3 hole. Every single course with 9 holes can offer this if they wanted to.

The problem with this idea is that if the target players, the office worker looking to get in some golf while choking down his baconator, all come out between 11 and 1, forget 30 minutes. It might take that long to get to the tee after paying. In order to survive, the number of people needed to show up during the lunch rush would make the whole thing grind to a halt. And I think like most people here, I'd love to be able to do walk up, Pay my money and hit away. But theres no way that would ever happen during that peak time. And if it did, I'll enjoy it while it lasts because it won't be there long.

And honestly, the post work 515 guys will almost always try to sneak in 9 holes elsewhere.

l appreciate the creative thinking. I just think this, if successful for a time, is a novelty that would wear off quickly.
[/quote]

Routing of existing 9+ hole courses rarely allows for 3 or 6 hole rounds. I have also yet to see a 9 or 18 hole facility offer a 3 or 6 hole rate. My concept is aimed at a new market... Not the current dwindling golf market. I'm not proposing changing the game as we know it... Just offering a more economical option.

I'm discussing a built from scratch 3 hole course with fast parking and check in... Not the existing drive in/ check in at a full size club. This would be centrally located and easily accessible. A to go lunch option could be available and even built into the price negating the need to make an extra stop.

How do current courses get the entire 5:15 crowd on the course at the same time? They can't, and with a 2+ hour 9 hole round it gets dark too early in the shoulder season. We still have great weather here in Central Washington this time of year but there isn't time to get in 9 holes after work.

Taylormade 320 driver

SYB-714 5-wood

GEOM Moe odds

GEOM 57/ 13

Kirkland ball

Halflight Golf Bag

[quote name='Greenie' timestamp='1443885972' post='12405162']
[quote name='TitlePured' timestamp='1443882110' post='12404916']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Yes I do work full time, have a wife and a daughter. I played twice a week up until this yr, because I finally got tired of the 5 hr. rounds I constantly ran into. I played once a month this summer. That's not because I didn't have the time but because I thought I could have more fun doing something else besides standing around waiting in the fairway to hit each shot. I've started back up recently. Colder weather thins the herd so to speak .
I'll post a link to the course and the walking prices. They charge me $12 on the weekend and $6 during the week afternoons. I see they have it listed $13 on the weekends and $8 twilight on their site.I hope that isn't to far out of line on my statements on what they charge me.

[url="http://www.frederickgolfclub.com/frederick-golf-rates/#.Vg_r3PlViko"]http://www.frederick...s/#.Vg_r3PlViko[/url]

[b]FREDRICK GOLF CLUB[/b]
[color=#67675D][background=rgb(255, 255, 254)]The greens fee is good for an unlimited number of holes while you are on the property. If you leave and return you will have to pay the greens fee again. The cart rates listed below include the greens fee. Rates are applied per person, regardless if they are playing or spectating.[/background][/color]
[b]Tuesday-Thursday[/b] Walking $10.25
[b]Friday-Monday[/b] Walking $13.00
[b]Twlight Everyday after 3pm[/b] Walking $8.00
[b]Senior Rate Monday-Friday[/b] Seniors (55+) Senior rates are only Monday-Friday. There is no senior rate for Holidays or weekends. Walking $8.00
[/quote]

Thanks for posting that... I must say, that is the cheapest golf I've ever seen. What a great facility for your area! I did notice that it is a executive 27 holes, only one par 5 on one of the 9s. Regardless, it's still a great value. I'm guessing it's been pegged as the beginner course in your area? That can be challenging, to have a facility of that size being reliant upon beginners. How are the conditions at this facility?

My concept is aimed much more at the current non golfer. The current non golfer considers a round of golf to be $30+ and 4+ hours... Whether this is true or not is irrelevant. A fun, fast recreational round that is still real golf in under 1 hour (possibly much less) and is always $5 seems marketable to me.

For full disclosure, I managed an 18 hole public golf course with full driving range/ practice area. Meaning I'm familiar with operating costs of a golf course and managing pace of play.

Taylormade 320 driver

SYB-714 5-wood

GEOM Moe odds

GEOM 57/ 13

Kirkland ball

Halflight Golf Bag

I do appreciate all of the constructive criticism. This concept is not really targeting the GolfWRX golfer, I fully understand that this is not the most attractive concept for the avid golfer. I wanted feedback from the GolfWRX crowd to see if this facility would be acceptable as a supplement to full size rounds on the weekends. Other versions of golf like driving ranges, top golf, simulators exist but don't incorporate the traditional golf experience that I feel is key to preserving the game.

A quick escape to walk 3 holes before, during, or after your work day.

During weekends a facility like this would be perfect for kids or beginners who are intimidated by even 9 hole courses. Avid or experienced golfers will have the time on weekends to play wherever they like.

For the retired or semi retired person a facility like this doesn't serve much of a purpose, other than possibly being a easier course to walk.

Taylormade 320 driver

SYB-714 5-wood

GEOM Moe odds

GEOM 57/ 13

Kirkland ball

Halflight Golf Bag

[quote name='TitlePured' timestamp='1443888405' post='12405300']
[quote name='KYMAR' timestamp='1443882921' post='12404992']

[/quote]

Routing of existing 9+ hole courses rarely allows for 3 or 6 hole rounds. I have also yet to see a 9 or 18 hole facility offer a 3 or 6 hole rate. My concept is aimed at a new market... Not the current dwindling golf market. I'm not proposing changing the game as we know it... Just offering a more economical option.

I'm discussing a built from scratch 3 hole course with fast parking and check in... Not the existing drive in/ check in at a full size club. This would be centrally located and easily accessible. A to go lunch option could be available and even built into the price negating the need to make an extra stop.

How do current courses get the entire 5:15 crowd on the course at the same time? They can't, and with a 2+ hour 9 hole round it gets dark too early in the shoulder season. We still have great weather here in Central Washington this time of year but there isn't time to get in 9 holes after work.
[/quote]

How do current 9 hole courses get the 515 crowd out at the same time? IT doesn't, there are many of them. And frankly I don't care how fast food joint efficient you think you can make it, I, and I believe most, would rather go to the range and hit 15 drivers, 15 4 irons, 15 7 irons, and 15 wedges then go hit 1 of each and 2 of a few while waiting on every shot, checking my watch wondering if I'll be able to finish my 3 hole "round" before the boss notices my empty chair at 1:08.

Just my opinion. So by all means Go find your half million dollar 20 acre lot in close proximity to a bustling business district. Get yourself some good old boys with some earth moving equipment, plant a few flags in the ground and have at it. I'll be at the range.

Callaway XR Pro Attas Tour SPX X
Taylormade Tour issue 15* V Steel 3 wood
Hybrid undecided
Cobra Amp Cell Pro's (All MB) 4-GW Project X Rifle 6.0
Cleveland CG15 56 and 60
White Hot 6 Long Neck