Winter golfing - what works for folks?

thbrewst

I'll play in anything but snow/cold rain.

Played yesterday, 5-15 mph winds (gusts), course right on a lake, high of 38*. Sun and clouds here and there.

The best advice for playing in the cold is WALK, do NOT ride.

Clothing...

Slazenger tights, heavier pant (docker, etc)

Base layer (long underware or under armour)
Golf shirt (I still always wear one no matter what
Thin sweater
Thick sweater
Then I have the best north face jacket, it's wind protected on the body, but the arms breathe, warm pockets, very swing friendly.
Winter hat

I've played down into the 20*'s and once your round begins and you're walking, you're fine.

Fwiw I'm a thin guy (6'0" 165, so I don't have a lot of built in insulation)

Titleist Ts2 10.5* GD DI 6x
Titliest 915 5w 18* GD DI 7x
Callaway Apex 23*h Oban Devotion 
Callaway Apex 26*h GD DI 85x
Srixon 785 6-PW Nippon 105 Modus
Titleist SM7 50*, 54*, 58* Nippon 115 Modus 
Odyssey #7 Plumber Neck 
2018 Taylormade tp5

https://www.instagram.com/benzoducky/ 

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haha....Yes +1 on the ChapStick. That one is often overlooked. Even hand moisturizer too. After a day out there in the wind my hands are pretty close to bleeding. Sorry....I think this thread was to be for winter golfing suggestions not beauty products. I was going to share my thoughts thoughts on the best oil free face sunscreens but maybe I'll start a separate thread (winky face).

PING G410 LST 10.5* --- Project X Evenflow Blue 55-S

PING G410 17.5* & 20.5* FW --- Aldila Tour Blue 65-S

Titleist 818H1 23* Hybrid --- Project X Evenflow Riptide 80-6.0

PING i210 5-UW --- Nippon Modus 105-S

PING Glide 3.0 Eye2 54* & 58* --- Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

L.A.B. DF3 --- Accra x L.A.B.

I will second or third the Target/Walmart base layer long sleeved, polo shirt and a wind shirt or pull over. If it's a heavy mist/Drizzle here in Seattle Nike storm fit rain suit. I am really temperature sensitive if I get too warm my hat has to come off. I do have several head wraps/ dew rags for mtn. biking that I do wear from time to time. Sure the Golf fashion Police may have a conniption fit, but I really don't care.
I pretty much have a 40 degree rule, if it's not going to get above 40 I really don't need to be playing.
Jimmy B :smilie_wilson:

Last season for the first time I added a body warmer to my collection for winter and it's become an almost constant with me. Usually I'm a base layer, polo shirt, jumper and then the body warmer on top. Genuinely works a treat! Keeps a really good heat but still leaves you free to swing.

Also hand warmers. I usually only use one and rotate hands but they are essential for me now. Managed to lose a good bit of weight a couple of years ago and damn, I definitely feel the cold a lot more.

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

For the upper body: lots of thin layers that are not too tight, stretchy if possible, and are materials that slide on each other. Base layer is a thermal mock neck (Mizuno breathe-thermo or UA), thin merino wool vest, long sleeved shirt (Clima Warm or similar), regular cotton vest, then a heavy'ish cotton sweatshirt with a fairly tight crew neck. I can layer up or down as required. If it gets below freezing I replace the sweatshirt with a wool sweater. The rain jacket, if needed, should be one size larger than normal, and stretchy if possible.
For the pants I avoid layering because the thermal layer tends to bind on the pants with each step; very annoying and tiring. I go with heavier pants. For below freezing I go with fleece lined pants.
Nothing special with the socks, just regular cotton for me.
A woolen hat can make a big difference in warmth; put it on if too cold, take it off if too warm. Get one that covers the ears.

[quote name='MLogodin' timestamp='1417398825' post='10523359']
I have battery heated winter gloves by "high heat golf". So hot can't leave it on high more than 5 minutes. Turn it on high, get them warm turn down to medium, then you are good to go the entire round. Plus a toque and under amour heat gear underneath the clothing.
[/quote]

Do you have a link? Multiple searches bring up nothing golf-specific.

A search for High Heat Golf Gloves didn't even bring up this thread. :(

[quote name='Par Fore' timestamp='1416263667' post='10462727']
I go the cheap route. I get the walmart/target equivalent of a thermal base layer, put a polo over that then go with a half zip jacket over that. I also walk trying to keep warm. If I get warm I will just take off the top layer and put it in my bag. I also keep a beanie in my bag so my ears don't get cold and I buy a big box of hand warmers at costco in the fall and keep a few packets in my bag.
[/quote]

Yeah me too. I looked into this for a while after I changed to microfiber for summer wear to see what was available. I almost got caught up in some fleece/silk base layers but realized that I would definitely be too hot with that kind of snow skiing type garment. I tried an inexpensive warming long sleeve tee under a long sleeve polo and was good to go down to a little below 50. I just add another tee if it is below that and keep an emergency layer around for the unexpected drop or wind. Even with the extra tee there is really no restriction on the swing. I sometimes will wear a cotton shirt when practising, and am surprised by the binding relative to the microfiber stuff.

I recently got a different style tee with the ribbed, long john type knit, microfiber as well and like this even more.

Wanted to let any RI or Southern MA WRXers know there is a new indoor practice facility in Johnston, RI called[url="http://mikeharbourgolf.com/home/indoor-golf-center/"] Mike Harbour Indoor Golf Center[/url]. He has an indoor range with ES14s, Fitness center with certified trainer and certified club repair. I spent some time there this past Saturday and he has a nice setup. Check it out.

BT

Dr#1 Cobra Speedzone 10.5 – HZRDUS Yellow HC 65 TX @ 46”
Dr#2 Mizuno STZ 220 9.5 (10.5) - HZRDUS Smoke IM10 65 Low TX @ 46"

Mizuno ST190 15 - HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 43"
Mizuno STZ 220 18- HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 42"
Mizuno MP15 4-PW - Aldila RIP Tour 115 R
Cobra MIM Wedges 52, 56 & 60 – stock KBS Hi-Rev @ 35.5”

Odyssey V-Line Stroke Lab 33.5"
Grips - Grip Master Classic Wrap Midsize

In the past, I've put the clubs in the basement once the weather was hitting below 50 degrees. I'm in Jersey and this is really the first year I've trekked it out in the cold weather (35-45 degrees).

My standard attire that I've found to be warm, comfortable and doesn't hinder my swing is:[list]
[*]Under Armor compression shirt for cold weather
[*]Standard Golf Polo
[*]Uniqlo Heattech Long Sleeve Fleece
[*]North Face Soft Shell Vest
[*]Basic Khakis
[*]Winter Hat
[*]Double Socks lol.
[/list]
Optional Items: Compression pants as a base layer underneath the khakis. I also bought one of those handwarmers that go around your waist similar to what QBs use because I dont use winter golf gloves. I find it difficult to swing with them on.

What I've found to be key is to carry my bag when I walk. When I walk in the summer, I use a push cart.

Taylormade SIM2 Max | Srixon Z-Star | Cleveland Launcher DST | Mizuno JPX-825 Pro | Titleist Vokey SM5 (54S, 58K) | SC Studio Select Newport 2

Live in Winnipeg.

Seriously. If you go anywhere where a golf course is open, it's warm enough for shorts.

Going to Vegas in a few days, supposed to be 15c. That's almost shorts weather compared to the -15c we've had over the last few days. Today is nice. Only -4c (25f). Feels like -8c (18f), though. I'd golf if the courses were open.

It really is all about layering, and keeping any sweat you do work up off of your skin. Pretty much anything designed for sport will work. I prefer golf specific stuff, just because it's designed for the specific movements you need to make.

I like Under Armour for base layers. Just because I've used them for hockey and whatnot in the past and they seem to be a relatively high quality product. Over-priced, probably, but still good. Regular golf shirt and a good sweater with a windbreaker. Sometimes I wear a golf rain jacket if it's cold, as I find the rubberized lining tends to hold in more heat.

Put on a touque, mitts with hand warmers for between shots, and a warm pair of socks, and good to go.

Oh, and a nice layer of fat. That keeps me warm. Eat more, say you're working on your golf game.

I played high school golf in Michigan back when it was a fall sport. The state finals my senior year were at the end of October and our regional tournament was postponed due to snow. So we had to get pretty creative to stay warm.

The two best tips I can give are buy a quarterback hand warmer and don't even bother with golf pants. I do not understand why people buy oversized mittens when you can have a QB hand warmer. They are incredible with 2-4 heat packets in them and you can wear it in front of you between shots and turn it behind you before shots. My second tip is to not even bother with golf pants when it's super cold. I wear a pair of Under Armour tights with a pair of fleece sweat pants over them and then wear my rain pants over them. The thing I noticed is that when it was cold and windy, I would never take my rain pants off. So I figured if no one is ever going to see what is under my rain pants, why not wear the warmest and most comfortable layer possible.

[quote name='allenri2' timestamp='1419116391' post='10622261']
I played high school golf in Michigan back when it was a fall sport. The state finals my senior year were at the end of October and our regional tournament was postponed due to snow. So we had to get pretty creative to stay warm.

The two best tips I can give are buy a quarterback hand warmer and don't even bother with golf pants. I do not understand why people buy oversized mittens when you can have a QB hand warmer. They are incredible with 2-4 heat packets in them and you can wear it in front of you between shots and turn it behind you before shots. My second tip is to not even bother with golf pants when it's super cold. I wear a pair of Under Armour tights with a pair of fleece sweat pants over them and then wear my rain pants over them. The thing I noticed is that when it was cold and windy, I would never take my rain pants off. So I figured if no one is ever going to see what is under my rain pants, why not wear the warmest and most comfortable layer possible.
[/quote]

Could not agree with you more about the QB hand warmers with heat packets in them. They are awesome.

I'm in the Mid-Atlantic...and not a cold weather guy. So what works for me is:

1. Pack clubs
2. Get in car
3. Drive to airport (you get where this is going... :taunt: )
4. Fly to - oh, pick a spot...Fla, Ca, Ariz...

Unfortunately can only afford 1 or twice a season... :stink:

TM R1
TM Rbz Stage2 3w (15) & 3 hyb (19)
Mizuno MP-64 4-Pw
Mizuno MP-T5 50-7
Titleist Vokey SM-4 54-8 & 58-12
Ping TR 1966 Anser2

I play as much as I can in the winter, weather permitting. Last Saturday and Sunday, I played both days, in the low 30's with no wind. Yesterday, a bit of wind, 45 degrees, and today, over 50 degrees, rained all last night, course was a bit soaked. Today, very pleasant day with sun.

Saturday and Sunday, I wore a well worn winter coat, over a shirt and sweat shirt. Yesterday and today, an Al Bundy windbreaker over the sweat shirt and shirt. I actually broke a sweat today. WALKING is a must in the winter. ( I walk exclusively, all seasons.)

I have an old time fluid hand warmer, didn't know I had it, new in package. Will have to try it.

My philosophy on winter golf, as long as no snow on the ground, golf is a possibility all winter. Can't say I like to play under 40 degrees, though.

I'm not much on walking. The courses in my area have some pretty extreme hills. I have found the Frogger Cart Poncho to work REALLY well in keeping wind off while riding. We actually stay pretty warm without having to bundle up so much.

Srixon Z785 
Cleveland Classic XL 14*, Black Tie X
Srixon Z945 3-PW, Project X 6.5
Cleveland RTX 3 52*, 56* 60*, Dynamic Gold 
Odyssey Sabretooth Backstryke w/Flat Cat 

denim jacket, denim pants, denim socks, denim Hat, got a custom Denim golf glove made.

Driver -  PXG Gen5 0311 XF 12* - PX Cypher 50 R

5 Wood -  Taylormade Sim2 Max - Fujikura Ventus Blue R

Irons - Taylormade P790 4-PW - True Temper S

Wedges - Titleist SM8 52* 56* 

Putter - Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Special Select - 33" 

I purchased the Mizuno wind lite sweater based of all the recommendations here. I haven't golfed in yet but have worn it out a few times and loved it. I can see why so many people have it as their go to item for cold weather. I'm going to buy a couple more off eBay.

Now I just have to come up with something just as good for the lower half. I'm not a big fan of the rain pants with stuff under it look. I may try and get some lined khakis.

Last round played it was 36(* with a wind chill around 30*. Weather I walk or ride the bottom is the same…UnderArmour cold running tights with FJ rain pants, wool socks. Top UnderArmour cold turtle neck, Mizuno widlite vest and a FJ 1/2 zip rain top, if I'm riding I may go without the full top and use a half sleeve. Riding in the cart is like a sauna with the portable heated and full cart rain cover. ( at times this is too warm). Add in a good skins game with a few cigars and some whiskey and you'll play 2!!!!!

Ping g430 10K w/ Ventus Red 6-S

TaylorMade iq10 5 Wood w/ TD-70-S

Taylormade Stage 2 Tour hybrid w/Fujikura Speeder HB-S

PXG 0317t w/steelfiber i95-S 5-PW

SM8. 52* & 58* TM High Toe

Lab Mezz...46”

Jones Players Bag
Taylormade TP5X

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Augster' timestamp='1417584422' post='10534995']
I have battery heated winter gloves by "high heat golf". So hot can't leave it on high more than 5 minutes. Turn it on high, get them warm turn down to medium, then you are good to go the entire round. Plus a toque and under amour heat gear underneath the clothing.
[/quote]

[/quote]
I couldn't find anything on the web out them either. I bought them at a clubhouse, so maybe it was just a small specialty thing.

Matt

[quote name='Augster' timestamp='1417584422' post='10534995']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Actually check out http://www.thewarmingstore.com/heated-gloves.html
There alot like these.

http://youtu.be/2GMJi58nHio

Youtube link above

Matt

• 9 months later...

FJ Softshell Hyrbid.
All I had on beneath was a FJ compression base layer and a golf-shirt.
Was comfy in 45 and windy temps.
Best jacket I have ever owned for wind and cold.
If temps are over 50, it's almost too warm, have other items or wear simply w a short sleeve shirt and no compression layer.
For legs, I love cords, and when in the 40's I wear a Patagonia Capeline base-layer long underwear (the thinnest one they sell, like silk).

Here in Michigan, we get random days of sunny semi warm (upper 30's) throughout the winter and fortunately have one local course that opens most of the year. My go to basics are thermal turtleneck (any good brand thermal) and a footjoy lined sweater. I always walk and this layered with a cotton short underneath is usually sufficient. On my legs, either flannel lined jeans, or under armour winter pants.

The sweater is a little pricey (although I got mine for about 40% at the Dallas superstore after the season), but worth every penny in the cold when the wind blows.

I read a thread here on it and picked up one of those football hand warmer pouches. I put my electric hand warmer in the zipper pocket and tried it out Saturday on a 48 degree start.

It doesn't interfere with my swing and my hands were toasty!

Also I use a 3 layer approach on top. UA fitted (non compression) long sleeve mock, cashmere sweater, and a light ZR rain jacket. Thise keeps me warm and still mobile.