GOLFWRX MEMBER TESTING: Mitsubishi TENSEI CK Blue

5 GolfWRXers are testing Mitsubishi Rayon / Graphite Shafts TENSEI CK Blue shaft in their drivers and reporting back the results.

The TENSEI™ CK Series Blue shaft modernizes Mitsubishi Rayon / Graphite Shaft’s classic, smooth “Blue” bend profile through the use of a multi-material design, including the Carbon-Kevlar (CK) weave in the butt section -- further refining the shaft’s overall bend profile and improving feel.

Let's keep this thread open until members start posting.

Thanks!

Follow our Two Guys Talkin Golf (TG2) Podcast on Instagram + Twitter + iTunes + SoundCloud
 Click here to grab a new "circle" avatar

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is this similar to what Rory is now playing/testing?

9* Taylor Made 2016 M1 430 Aldila Rogue MAX
[size=4]15* and 19* TaylorMade 2016 M1 [/size]Kuro Kage TiNi Silver 70
[size=4]19* Titleist 818 h2 Diamana D+ 90[/size]
[size=4]4-PW MP64 KBS C Taper
52*, 56*, 60* Cleveland 588 Tour Action DG S400[/size]
34" Scotty Cameron Seleect Newport M1 350g
34" Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 350g
[size=4]34" Scotty Cameron Studio Style 2.5 330g
34" Odyssey Works Versa V Line 350g[/size]

Hi Gents,

First of THANKS to WRX and Mitsubishi Rayon for the chance to test this shaft out.

Specs: Callaway GBB 9* set to 10* N playing at 45", C8.5 sw, Tensei-ck-blue 60 Stiff tipped 1/4"

I have only had a chance to hit it once on the range ( 30 drives) along with one 18 hole round on my home course (13 holes with driver), but I will continue to test as time allows. In the meanwhile, I figured folks would like to have some info/pics.

Upon first swings, I was finding myself hitting it left, left. After some time, and realizing there is no need to "go after it" to get the shaft to properly load, I was finding it to launch higher, carry longer than my current set-up on the range (into a STRONG wind). On the course, I was ending-up in similar places as I normally do. On a handful of holes I was more left of normal for me, and a couple of holes I was actually longer when I was downwind (assuming due to the higher launch, i.e. more carry). And the FEEL! Feel was fantastic.

I will be able to get out to play another 18 tomorrow and will follow with a simulator session on Wednesday where I can get some numbers vs. my current gamer shaft the HZRDUS 65 6.0 un-tipped.

I'm not quite comfortable playing this in a competitive round or league yet, as I'm still having trouble simply trusting that I don't have to "work" this shaft to get it to load properly.

Again, I know this wasn't super in-depth yet, but I wanted to get the ball rolling here.

[i][b]Feel At Address:[/b] [i]Felt solid, like a quality shaft. [/i][i][i]Feels like there might be a little counterbalance to it? Head felt "lighter" when I waggled it, if that makes any sense (not in a bad way) [/i][/i][i][i][b]Feel During Swing:[/b] The weight felt just right for a driver shaft. [b]Balance[/b] "felt" a little lighter than I'm used to (again, not in a bad way) I had the shaft tipped 1/4", I think I could have gone 1/2" but it seems to play close to other 'stiff" shafts from most companies. There is definitely some "kick" to this shaft. [b]Feel at contact[/b]: SOLID, yet responsive. Even though there is some "kick", the handle feels SOLID at contact.[/i][/i][/i]
[i][i][i][b]Playbility-wise:[/b] Balls flight was medium/high for me. Kick was inline with most mid/mid shafts I've tried over the years. Not "whippy" at all.[/i][/i][/i]

Quick update: I had another quick range session this morning, and the results were fantastic! I don't know if it was because I was over swinging into the wind the first time or what, but I had zero LEFT issues this time around ... I will continue to update and feel free to ask any questions, I'm happy to help - LD

Callaway Paradym X 10.5  GD Tour AD XC-6X
TM M2 16.5* VEYLIX ROME 888
PXG 0317X 20* Oban Devotion S
Mizuno Fli-Hi #4
Mizuno Pro 225 5-G Modus 120
Mizuno T22 RAW 53/57 Modus 120
 Limited Edition PING PLD Prime Tyne 4 

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/530023/ladahls-witb-pxg-callaway-titleist-taylormade-trying-graphite-in-irons-updates-on-last-pag

Hello everyone!

First off, thank you GolfWRX and MRC for choosing me – I am usually selective in the contests or member testings that I apply for and only choose them if I am truly interested, and this was one that I was really wanted to get. I started reading about this shaft as soon as it hit the forums and once I saw the specs I knew I had to at least try it out when it launched…

A little about me

I am 27 years old with about a 105-110mph swing speed. My handicap this summer has hovered around 6.5-7.2.

I have been playing the Tour AD-DI 6 in stiff flex for the better half of the summer – and like most of you, I’m a ho, but this has stayed in my bag for longer than any other shaft and being completely honest, I’m not sure anything will kick it out… but we’ll see.

Before the AD-DI, I went through an Oban Devotion, Aldila Tour Green, Motore Speeder TS, Aldila Rip, Fubuki Alpha and a few others that aren’t even worth discussing.

I will be comparing the TENSEI to the Tour AD-DI and Oban Devotion in a 915 D2, 9.5* in the B2 setting playing at 45”. I had it tipped a half inch. I will be using a Pro V1x ball for the testing and I use a standard size NDMC grip. My misses are usually right--I played baseball my whole life so I have a tendency to leave my hands back and block the ball.

Unboxing and initial thoughts

Honestly, one of the coolest things about this for me is that I received the shaft last Thursday…my birthday of all days!

IMG_4039_zpspsz5mq8k.jpg

IMG_4041_zpsupb8uv3y.jpg

In the box were a hat, water bottle, a personalized letter from MRC, and of course the TENSEI.

IMG_4044_zpsatum6pgr.jpg

IMG_4047_zpsrxkdvzxz.jpg

IMG_4043_zpskiwtjfpp.jpg

IMG_4048_zpslhlz4onz.jpg

IMG_4049_zpsbnxz8487.jpg

Left out some pictures of the shaft because ladahl took some good ones above!

Initial thoughts: this shaft is beautiful, I love the look of it. The TENSEI logo is simple, which I am a huge fan of because I think a lot of companies try to put too much into logos. The shaft is pretty much all a nice glossy black, except for a small band that is a great royal blue color. I don’t mind colored shafts (I play an orange one now) but I really think this black will flow nicely into the black 915 head, and maybe even help my eyes when looking down at address. Towards the top of the shaft, there is a carbon fiber printed area that I actually think is a nice addition.

I cut and gripped the shaft last Friday - thought I was going to have a chance to play on Saturday but something came up. After giving it a few swings in the house, I can already tell it has a smooth, but solid feel. Definitely stiffer in the butt section, which is very noticeable even just swinging lightly.

IMG_4058_zps6jynib9y.jpg

IMG_4060_zpsbzjxqrav.jpg

IMG_4061_zpse9bz3nwk.jpg

I'm playing 9 holes both today and tomorrow, so I'll have a much more in-depth review on Wednesday... really looking forward to swinging this thing! Stay tuned...

[quote name='SweetTeaGolfer' timestamp='1445302857' post='12480012']
[/quote]

No this is not the same shaft as that prototype - however, we did have 6 pieces of TENSEI in play our first week out, did you see any?! Looking forward to the comments from the members.

[quote name='Mitsubishi Rayon Shafts' timestamp='1445361715' post='12482762']
[/quote]

No this is not the same shaft as that prototype - however, we did have 6 pieces of TENSEI in play our first week out, did you see any?! Looking forward to the comments from the members.
[/quote]

It looked like Justin Rose had it in play. I play the Kuro Kage XT 70TX and LOVE it. How does this shaft compare (as I recall JR was also playing the KK XT)?

Does anyone testing this shaft have prior experience with the Kai'li? I'm curious to see comparisons between some of the older Blue profile shafts and this shaft, the Kai'li being the specific one I'm interested in. On the surface, this sounds like a must hit. Ugh...too many shafts to try.

TaylorMade Stealth2 Plus 9.0, Ventus Black 6X, 45.5"

TaylorMade Stealth2 Plus 4 (16.5), HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX 6.5 70g, 42.5"

TaylorMade P790 3 (2021), DG X100 (SSx2)

TaylorMade P7MC Raw 4-PW, DG Mid X100 (SSx1)
TaylorMade MG4 50, 54 - DG S400

Titleist SM9 58T - DG S400
Scotty Cameron Oil Can Newport, 34"
TaylorMade TP5x (2021)

My WITB Post

[quote name='scottygolfer' timestamp='1445362532' post='12482812']
[/quote]

[/quote]

It looked like Justin Rose had it in play. I play the Kuro Kage XT 70TX and LOVE it. How does this shaft compare (as I recall JR was also playing the KK XT)?
[/quote]
With higher Swing Speed players we are seeing Tensei launch a bit higher that TENSEI with a similar spin rate. TENSEI is also a bit easier to "work" Right-to-Left than XT. Hope that helps.

[quote name='Mitsubishi Rayon Shafts' timestamp='1445364834' post='12483030']
[quote name='scottygolfer' timestamp='1445362532' post='12482812']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]
With higher Swing Speed players we are seeing Tensei launch a bit higher that TENSEI with a similar spin rate. TENSEI is also a bit easier to "work" Right-to-Left than XT. Hope that helps.
[/quote]

Taking it out for a quick 18 tonight .... After my range session today, I'm feeling better about trusting my swing with it.

Mizuno Fli-Hi #4

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/530023/ladahls-witb-pxg-callaway-titleist-taylormade-trying-graphite-in-irons-updates-on-last-pag

Just finished up 18 holes had a fantastic driving day -1 operator error pull! I'm committing to this shaft for the month of October/November.

I will say this, when I missed closer to the toe, it did feel a bit more harsh than most shafts. Anyone now why this might be?

Mizuno Fli-Hi #4

Have to say I really dig the look of this shaft. Look forward to more reviews

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

Thanks GolfWRX and Mitsubishi Rayon for the opportunity to test and review this new shaft!

For the record TENSEI is pronounced Ten-say

[b]About me[/b] - I'm 44 years old and I hover between +1 and 2 handicap. I have good days with the driver and some not so good days. I like to play a slight draw with the driver, but I have the ability to hit it both ways (most of the time). My handicap goes up and down based on how well I drive it and how well my short game gets me out of trouble.

I play a Callaway XR 10.5* driver at 44.5" that has been hot-melted so I can play it at D3 at the shorter length. The hot-melt is centered toward the face which has drastically reduced spin. This driver head is longer for me than the 815 DBD and far more forgiving. I have two heads that are set up as closely to identical as possible - both have the roughly the same amount of hot-melt in roughly the same place.

My swing speed is 106-108 with the driver and I currently play the Diamana Kai'li 60X with very good results. This shaft has been absolute money for me with a medium trajectory, good carry numbers and a good amount of roll. I have played many, many driver shafts including Fujikura Motore Speeder 6.2, 7.1, and TS 6.2, Whiteboard, Original Blueboard, S+, AD DI, Aldila Tour Green, Pro-Launch Red, White Tie, Devotion, Kiyoshi Purple, and many others. The Kai'li has been the best so far.

My carry distance is 250-260 (subject to strike) with 15-30 yards of roll (depending on trajectory and strike). I work at my home course part-time, so I have to privilege of going out whenever I want and jumping around as needed.

[b]Initial impressions[/b] - I opened the box to find a shaft, a thank you letter, a hat, and a water bottle. The first thing I noticed about the shaft is its understated color scheme and carbon fiber portion. Its truly a great looking shaft - I would characterize it as understated yet very attractive. I tend to steer clear of white shafts and those with loud color schemes as I find then distracting. This one is very easy to look at.

[b]Set up[/b] - I cut the CK Blue shaft to play at 44.5" (same as my current Kai'li) and put it in my back-up XR head with a new Lamkin REL 3 Gen 360 grip. Adapter was set to standard loft/neutral in both clubs. I switched heads/shafts about half way through to eliminate the possibility that one head may be hotter than the other.

Kai'li - 60X, 64 grams, 3.4 torque, mid/high kick

CK Blue - 60X, 70 grams, 4.4 torque, mid kick

[attachment=3001034:IMG_0975.JPG]
[attachment=3001036:IMG_0980.JPG]
[attachment=3001044:IMG_0981.JPG]
[attachment=3001046:IMG_0982.JPG]
[attachment=3001048:IMG_0986.JPG]
[attachment=3001052:IMG_0987.JPG]

[b]Day 1 on course experience [/b]- It was a sunny day, 70*F, with a slight breeze. I headed out with two drivers; one with my faithful Kai'li and one with the CK Blue. My goal was to hit several balls off each tee to get a god idea of how each shaft performed with good strikes and fair strikes. I spent the majority of my time doing just that - I went from tee box to tee box, only playing a few holes out with approach shots and putts. I didn't want to wear myself out to quickly hitting only driver.

The first few swings with the CK Blue told me this shaft is SMOOTH. To me its very reminiscent of the original Blueboard, which I love and would still be playing if the Kai'li didn't give me a slightly better trajectory and a few hundred less RPMs of spin.

I found it a little easier to hit a draw or fade with the CK Blue than the Kai'li, which could be a result of it slightly higher torque numbers. My usually draw with the Kai'li is probably about 5-7 yards. I was getting 7-10 with the CK Blue.

Trajectory with the CK Blue was slightly higher, as was the spin. I hit several drives that seemed to carry about the same distance, but the Kai'li rolled out about 5-10 yards further on average.

I had a few drives that were neck-and-neck with both shafts, but only a couple that were longer with the CK Blue. I attribute this to the lower, more piercing trajectory of the Kai'li which tends to give me a good amount of roll.

Performance in the wind was good. I didn't experience any ballooning with the CK Blue. While the trajectory was a little higher than the Kai'li it still performed well in the wind.

The CK seems to climb a little faster than the Kai'li and flattens out nicely with a higher overall ball flight.

[attachment=3001490:image.jpeg]
[attachment=3001492:image.jpeg]
[attachment=3001494:image.jpeg]

Providence Golf Club #8 - Par 5 at 525 yards. Water down the left and out of bounds down the right. The green is left of the water and past it about 100 yards.

[attachment=3001496:image.jpeg]

[size=5][b]Update 10/22/15[/b][/size]

I did more testing today. Temperature was around 75* with a slight breeze. I decided to take my driver with the CK Blue down to 9.5* for several holes and then down to 8.5* for several more holes to see if the lower loft would reduce spin a little, lower my ball flight a little, and give me a few more yards of roll.

The trajectory came down some at 9.5 but it was still a bit higher than the Kai'li. However, I did get a few more yards of roll. At 8.5 the trajectory came down to about the same as the Kai'li and roll out was similar. However, at those lofts I didn't seem to be as accurate, which is likely a reflection of my swing and not the shaft.

As I said before this shafts is very smooth. It has a more pronounced kick at the bottom than the Kai'li. To me if feels a bit softer in flex than my Kai'li, but that could be a result of the higher torque numbers or difference in bend profile.

I'm not yet sure it can kick the Kai'li out of the bag, but I'm going to give it a few more rounds before I will say definitively.

PXG Black Ops 10.5* - Tensei AV Raw White 65X

PXG Gen 6 0311 15* - Aldila Tour Blue 75X

PXG  Gen 5 0311 19* - Aldila Tour Blue 85X

PXG 0311T Gen 5 4-P - DG120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 50*, 56*, 60* - DGTI S400

PXG Bat Attack H

Chrome Soft/Vice Pro Lime

[size=3]First off, thanks to MRC Golf and WRX for picking me to test this shaft. Current handicap is .5 and the last time I had my swing speed measured was last winter around 110-111, so probably a few ticks higher now. I went with the Tensei 60x tipped an inch.[/size]

[size=3]During unboxing, I was excited to see an awesome Tensei hat and water bottle, along with a letter from Mitsubishi Rayon welcoming me to the testing. Really cool add ins for the package! My initial thoughts were the shaft looks very classy and the blue band towards the top adds a little flare, which I really like. I went ahead and cut the shaft to play 44.75" and installed a light blue iomic. It looks awesome in my opinion![/size]
[attachment=3001504:MRC box.JPG]
[attachment=3001506:Tensei box.jpg]
[attachment=3001508:water bottle.jpg]
[attachment=3001510:hat.jpg]
[attachment=3001524:letter.JPG]
[attachment=3001532:full club 3.jpg]

[size=3]The first time I got it out on the course it was 43 degrees out and sunny. I brought along my Kuro Kage silver and Motore Speeder 6.3 for comparisons. I only got out for 9 holes, so I picked 2 holes to do my initial shaft vs shaft comparisons. I started out with the Tensei on the first hole and hit a couple balls. Initial impression was it launched a bit higher than I have gotten used to with the Kuro and Speeder, but wasn't ballooning at all so that was fine with me. My first drive with it I noticed a subtle kick at impact that made it feel like the ball was really launched. It was something I haven't felt in a shaft before and I thought it was awesome so I teed another one up right away to make sure I wasn't imagining something. I felt it again and the result was a tight 5 yard draw (normal shot shape) right down the middle and had me excited. I have used tons of shafts, including ad di, ad bb, blueboards, whiteboards, rogues, black tie, white tie, and others. This shaft is the smoothest one I have ever hit, and the kick at impact I felt is a first.[/size]

[size=3]I compared the Tensei and the Kuro on my second hole, which is around a 500 yard par 5 with a slight dog leg right, but with about a 10-12mph breeze into and from the left. I hit 2 balls with each, all solid strikes and ball flights, with the Tensei flying a bit higher than the Kuro. I lasered the flag from all 4 balls, with 2 in the left center of the fairway and two on the right side of the fairway. Furthest away from flag was the Kuro at 236, second furthest away was the Tensei at 228, with the other Kuro ball being a couple yards closer at 226, and finally the Tensei had the longest of the bunch with 216 remaining. Courses are pretty wet here now and with the cold weather, it's pretty much all carry. Not a huge difference between the two, but the extra launch and carry was useful in the conditions. I really enjoy the Kuro silver, but have to say the Tensei does feel a lot better.[/size]
[attachment=3001512:11 left.jpg]
[attachment=3001582:11 right.JPG]

[size=3]On my second comparison hole, I put the Tensei against the speeder 6.3. Again, I hit 2 balls with each. This time, I hit one of them low on the face with each, and the other was a solid strike. The feel isn't even close between these, with the huge advantage going to the Tensei. The ball flight again was higher as well. When I get up to the balls, I was surprised to see the low strike of the Tensei was only a few yards behind the solid strike. Both balls went further than the solid strike of the speeder. The distances from the flag on my low strikes were 98 from the speeder and 88 from the Tensei. The solid strikes were 91 from the speeder and 80 from the Tensei. The results were flat out better with the Tensei here.[/size]

[size=3]It was a very good start with a new shaft and I'm looking forward to getting out this weekend for 18 holes, as well as getting trackman numbers against my other shafts. Hoping it's not just a honeymoon phase, but regardless there's definitely no denying how smooth the shaft is. More to come![/size]
[attachment=3001518:address 1.jpg]
[attachment=3001530:address 2.jpg]
[attachment=3001520:full club 1.jpg]
[attachment=3001522:graphics back.jpg]
[attachment=3001526:shaft length.jpg]
[attachment=3001528:2 pics.JPG]

Stealth 2+ 9* - Ventus TR Blue 6x
Taylormade Stealth 2+ 15* - Ventus TR Blue 7x
Taylormade Stealth UDI 3 iron - X100
Taylormade P770 4-5 iron - X100

Taylormade P7MC 6-pw - X100
Taylormade MG3 - 50 SB, 56 SB, 60 LB
Taylormade Juno TP long neck

Custom 1/1 Rory Nike Oven proto 006, Oven Method Matter B2/01

[quote name='HipCheck' timestamp='1445301915' post='12479920']
[attachment=2999720:TENSEI.jpg]

[color=#282828]5 GolfWRXers are testing Mitsubishi Rayon / Graphite Shafts TENSEI CK Blue shaft in their drivers and reporting back the results.[/color]

[color=#282828]The TENSEI™ CK Series Blue shaft modernizes Mitsubishi Rayon / Graphite Shaft’s classic, smooth “Blue” bend profile through the use of a multi-material design, including the Carbon-Kevlar (CK) weave in the butt section -- further refining the shaft’s overall bend profile and improving feel.[/color]

[color=#282828]Let's keep this thread open until members start posting.[/color]

[color=#282828]Thanks![/color]
[/quote]would love to test these shafts!!

Thanks to all the testers. I know your testing is all subjective, but for most of us, it's the only we will get to know this shaft! Well done and keep the reviews coming.

Twitter: @Ed_Settle        My WITB
Driver:           Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 9.0 +2 GD Tour AD HD 6X
Fairway:        Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 3W/15*  Tensei Wht AV 70S

Utility W:         Callaway UW 19* HZRDUS Black RDX 6.0 S
Hybrid:          Callaway Apex Pro 4/21* KBS Hybrid 85S

Irons:             Callaway X Forged Star 5-PW Modus 105 S
Wedges:       Callaway Jaws Raw 48S/53W/58Z DG S200 
Putter:           2022 Toulon Design Small Batch Austin 34" 

Ball:               2022 Callaway CSX LS
Bag:               VESSEL Blk Lux Cart Bag 14 way   

Good stuff. Hope you guys can get some time in before things get cold (for those where winter is relevant). Definitely a cool design and sounds like a very playable profile for many.

The MR hat and water bottle are a really nice touch too!

Cobra King LTD 9*, Fujikura Ventus TR Red 6X
Cobra King Tec 17*, Fujikura Axiom 105S

Adams A12 19*, Diamana Thump X
TM TP MC/MB, Fujikura Axiom 105S 
Vokey 250.08, SM9 54-S & 60-V, DG S400
Toulon Palm Beach

I would like to Thank Golfwrx and Mitsubishi for the opportunity to test this shaft. Dealing with some family medical issues at the moment with wife and Mom in the hospital. I got 18 in yesterday and played with both Vapor Flex heads I have. Both set at 11.5 neutra. One with the Tensei and the other with the S+ plus both in 60R.

I am not the average Wrxer that hits it 320. I am a 52yr old out of shape guy that carrys it 230-240.

To start with the shaft fells awesome at impact as all Blueboards have. The thing I noticed swapping drivers back and forth, is the Tensei launches higher and has less side spin. It feels much more stable.

In the next week I will play some more with it and get some actual numbers from Flightscope along with pics.

SIM 10.5* Diamana D+ 60            Vapor TW Diamana S+60
SIM 15* Diamana D+70                Oven Vapor Speed 3 wood Diamana S+70
SIM 19* Diamana D+70                Oven Vapor Speed 5 wood Diamana S+70
SIM Max 19* DI-85                         Vapor Speed 3H Diamana Blueboard
P7TW 4-PW Dynamic Gold TI        Vapor Pro 4-PW Dynamic Gold
MG2 TW 56 &60*                            Engage 54* TS,60* DS
TP Juno                                            Origin B1-01 Counterflex
TP5                                                    RZN Tour Platinum

[quote name='Hot Rod 71' timestamp='1445393865' post='12485420']
Thanks GolfWRX and Mitsubishi Rayon for the opportunity to test and review this new shaft!

[b]About me[/b] - I hover between +1 and 2 handicap. I play a Callaway XR 10.5* driver at 44.5" that has been hotmelted so I can play it at D3. I have two heads that are set up as closely to identical as possible, both have the same amount of hotmelt in roughly the same place.

My swingspeed is 106-108 with the driver and I currently play the Diamana Kai'li 60X with very good results. This shaft has been absolute money for me with a medium trajectory, good carry numbers and a good amount of roll.
[/quote]

This is exactly the review I was hoping to see. Thank you!

TaylorMade Stealth2 Plus 9.0, Ventus Black 6X, 45.5"

TaylorMade Stealth2 Plus 4 (16.5), HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX 6.5 70g, 42.5"

TaylorMade P790 3 (2021), DG X100 (SSx2)

TaylorMade P7MC Raw 4-PW, DG Mid X100 (SSx1)
TaylorMade MG4 50, 54 - DG S400

Titleist SM9 58T - DG S400
Scotty Cameron Oil Can Newport, 34"
TaylorMade TP5x (2021)

My WITB Post

[quote name='ladahl' timestamp='1445383099' post='12484476']
Just finished up 18 holes had a fantastic driving day -1 operator error pull! I'm committing to this shaft for the month of October/November.

I will say this, when I missed closer to the toe, it did feel a bit more harsh than most shafts. Anyone now why this might be?
[/quote]

I'm not 100% sure what you mean by harsh, but based on the other shafts in your signature, I would attribute the difference in feel to the much higher torque of the Tensei. At 4.5* it's much higher than the HZRDUS (3.2*) and the Agera (2.7*).

• Taylormade Qi10 core 9* - Ventus TR Blue 6TX
  • Taylormade Tour Issue Stealth Plus+ 3 HL - Ventus Black 8TX
  • Titleist T100 4-PW - DG TI X100
  • Taylormade MG4 50SB, 56HB, 60HBW - DG TI S400
  • Artisan Blue Bonnet 0820 - LAGP TPZ One35 USA

[quote name='RonSwanson' timestamp='1445440262' post='12487250']

[/quote]

I'm not 100% sure what you mean by harsh, but based on the other shafts in your signature, I would attribute the difference in feel to the much higher torque of the Tensei. At 4.5* it's much higher than the HZRDUS (3.2*) and the Agera (2.7*).
[/quote]

I have to add here that torque values are not a standardized measurement and one manufacturer's 3.5 may be the same as another's 4.0.

However, if the Tensei shaft has a higher torque value than the player is used to, he may feel the head twist a little more on off center strikes, which could translate as a harsh feel, I suppose.

PXG Black Ops 10.5* - Tensei AV Raw White 65X

PXG Gen 6 0311 15* - Aldila Tour Blue 75X

PXG  Gen 5 0311 19* - Aldila Tour Blue 85X

PXG 0311T Gen 5 4-P - DG120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 50*, 56*, 60* - DGTI S400

PXG Bat Attack H

Chrome Soft/Vice Pro Lime

[quote name='CheckJV' timestamp='1445446841' post='12487662']
The promotional urine specimen container looks a little small. How soon do the testers have to submit their sample?
[/quote]

Haha! Well played!

Twitter: @Ed_Settle        My WITB
Driver:           Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 9.0 +2 GD Tour AD HD 6X
Fairway:        Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 3W/15*  Tensei Wht AV 70S

Utility W:         Callaway UW 19* HZRDUS Black RDX 6.0 S
Hybrid:          Callaway Apex Pro 4/21* KBS Hybrid 85S

Irons:             Callaway X Forged Star 5-PW Modus 105 S
Wedges:       Callaway Jaws Raw 48S/53W/58Z DG S200 
Putter:           2022 Toulon Design Small Batch Austin 34" 

Ball:               2022 Callaway CSX LS
Bag:               VESSEL Blk Lux Cart Bag 14 way   

[quote name='Hot Rod 71' timestamp='1445445283' post='12487588']
[quote name='RonSwanson' timestamp='1445440262' post='12487250']

[/quote]

[/quote]

I have to add here that torque values are not a standardized measurement and one manufacturer's 3.5 may be the same as another's 4.0.

However, if the Tensei shaft has a higher torque value than the player is used to, he may feel the head twist a little more on off center strikes, which could translate as a harsh feel, I suppose.
[/quote]

Ahhh, makes some sense.... I guess I should try hitting the center of the club face lol

Mizuno Fli-Hi #4

So I finally had the chance to go out and play 9 holes the past two days. I played two courses that I usually frequent, both of which have 6/9 holes I can use the driver on.

Both days, were about 75 degrees, sunny, Tuesday wind was probably 7-10 mph and yesterday was 5-7 mph winds, both perfect golf days.

Feel: The shaft felt very solid and stable when swinging. It felt very smooth on the way up and kept the same solid feel through impact. It didn't feel boardy though. I thought it might feel whippy because of how stiff the butt is, but it didn't at all. The TENSEI was definitely more punishing on mis-hits, I could definitely feel when I didn't hit the center of the club face much more than I'm used to with the AD-DI. The TENSEI easily matched the smoothness of the AD-DI, and was miles ahead of the Oban Devotion (which has always felt solid, but very boardy to me).

Ball-flight/Workability: I normally have a mid-high ball-flight, but with this shaft it was surprisingly low, so I got tons of roll out on almost all my drives. Not sure if it was because I got it tipped half an inch, but it was definitely a lower trajectory than I'm used to. My natural ball movement is a fade, but I'm pretty good at manipulating my hands and swing to hit a draw, which is usually what I try to do when I'm hitting my driver to help me hit it a little straighter. For me, it was a little tougher to turn my hands over because the butt diameter is a little thicker than I'm used to. I'm not sure how I feel about my ball-flight with the TENSEI yet, I have really gotten used to my normal ball-flight with the AD-DI, and never really trusted it with the Devotion. I am decent at putting my drives in at least a 10-20 yard radius of where I want and I just couldn't do that with the TENSEI because of the roll-out. It might have been me or the way I have been swinging or setting up at address that was making me hit it so low, I'll need to take it out a few more times to really figure it out.

So far I am really enjoying the TENSEI, I can definitely get used to the ball flight because the stability and feedback of the shaft are worth it for me. MRC really got the feel right with the TENSEI, a very solid feel while remaining super smooth through the swing. This shaft just feel really good in my hands and gives me some confidence.

I'm playing another 9 today and 18 this weekend, after another 27 holes I'll have another update, and hopefully I can get on a Trackman within the next couple of weeks - still trying to work that out.

IMG_4077_zpsupcpyjcf.jpg

IMG_4078_zpshvtohjuk.jpg