2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Potch's WITB

Finishing up what has been my best year of golf ever with a bag that is pretty settled now. The putter revolving door stopped when I added the Bullseye months ago, and I stopped tweaking the middle of my bag after I tried the Apex UT. For the first time in a while I'm really not looking for any clubs.

Driver -Titleist 913D3 9.5* AD-DI 70X

3 Wood - Titleist 915FD 15* D+ 80X

5 Wood -Titleist 910F 19* AD-DI 70X

One of these shafts is not like the other! The 915 line was the first time I tried the FD version, prompted by Titleist changing gears and making the FD head the smaller one. I really don't like larger heads on fairway woods. Once I had the low-spin head I went all in and added what for me is a heavy, low launch/low spin shaft in the D+ 80X. The predictable result is that I'm hitting my 3 wood pretty low - and couldn't be happier. For me it's primarily used off the tee, and I'm hitting low bullets down the fairway on a consistent basis. Not the easiest to elevate off the fairway, but that's a pretty rare shot for me to have to hit on the courses I play.

Utility - Callaway Apex UT 24* UST Recoil 680 F4

The 3 clubs that fit between my 3 Wood and 6 iron account for most of the tinkering in my bag. At various times this year I've had a 18* dHY, 19* & 22* Raylor, 23* i20, 26* i25, and 3 & 4 irons in those slots. Usual problems of hooking hybrids and not being consistent with the long irons contributed to the messing around. All fell into place when I tried the Apex UT - forgiving club I could hit straight off the tee and fairway. The 5 wood and 5 iron gave me good gaps around it and locked in my bag. Great club.

Irons - Mizuno MP-63 5-PW DG S300

My first set of Mizunos I had for a decade. This is set #2, I'm 6 years in and have no plans to change anytime soon.

Wedges - Cobra Tour Trusty 50.08 (bent 49*), 54.10, 60.06 S200

For me wedges are about the way the leading edge sits and these really fit my eye. Smaller head size is also desirable.

Putter - Scotty Cameron Bullseye Pro Platinum Heavy Flange 34"

I own a lot of putters - took me a while to figure out what works for me. More than anything it's the simplicity of the putter head and lack of offset that helps me to align the putter properly. Anything that I lose on forgiveness is more than made up for by having it pointed in the right direction to begin with. I don't any alignment aids on the ball or putter - just line the entire head up with where I want to aim and then back and through. Best I've ever putted.

Thanks for looking!

Ping G430 LST Driver 10.5* (set @ Flat)  Rogue White 130 MSI 70 X

Callaway '21 Apex UW 17* Ventus Blue 7X
Ping G410 Hybrids 22* & 26* (set @ F- to 21* & 25*) Even Flow Black 85 6.5
Titleist '21 T100S 6-PW Nippon Modus 3 Tour 120S
Titleist Vokey SM10 48.10F, 52.12F, 56.14F, 60.12D, DG Wedge
Bettinardi INOVAI 6.0 CTR 35"

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As requested, added some pictures of the putter.

• 1 month later...

A few changes to the top end of the bag (as usual), but at least this was more due to success than failure. Have been hitting the ball so well with my Apex UT 24* that I decided to add another to the bag. Was on the fence a bit as to whether I straight up replace my 5 wood with the 18*, or add the 21* and swap out my 3 and 5 woods for a 4. Decided to go with the latter - concluded that I was better off with the tighter gaps and easier to hit clubs that choice provided. Really liked my 915FD 15* off the tee, but was limited in its use in that I hit it almost as far as my driver and the shaft/head combo (80X Whiteboard) was a bit much for me off the fairway. Didn't want to have that as the only fairway wood in the bag. Instead I'm now carrying a 910f 17* with an AD-DI 70X - that much easier to hit in all situations.

First time since I was a junior that I've only had two headcovers in the bag! OK, three counting my putter. :rolleyes:

Sweet bag!

I couldn't get pass the light weight of the UT so I went back to my old one.

TAY; 7.5* SIM  SPEEDER 57  S.  (44 3/4")

TTL; 13.5* TSI 2 DIA BLU 70 S.  (42 7/8")

SRZ; 18* 85 U STEELFIBER 95I S. ( 39 3/4")

Cal; 4/5i EPIC, 6i-7i MVRK PR, 8i-PW MB  

Cal; 52* X FRG STK W. 
Cal;  ODYSSEY W B/W 

A few updated photos of my bag after the changes mentioned above. One additional change not mentioned - I got to visit the Scotty Cameron Gallery a few weeks ago and had a new lime green CNC grip and Gallery shaft band put on my gamer.
[attachment=3064324:IMG_1529.jpg]
[attachment=3064326:IMG_1530.jpg]
[attachment=3064328:IMG_1532.jpg]
[attachment=3064330:IMG_1534.jpg]

• 3 months later...

A few more tweaks to the bag to start 2016. I've switched fairway woods again and have gone to a SLDR 3HL with a Speeder 757X shaft. I've gone through a progression with the fairway woods in recent months. My 915FD 15* D+ 80X was great off the tee but I had trouble at times hitting it off the deck. Went to a 910F 17* ADDI 7X and it was much better off the fairway, but on occasion the tee shots would get away on me (and I hit a fairway off the tee quite a bit). Hope is that the SLDR/Speeder combo is the goldilocks solution to that spot in the bag. So far so good. Also bought a matching 5HL with the same shaft, but guessing most of the time it won't be in the bag and I'll carry the Apex UT 21* instead. That's what I'm doing right now.

Also switched putters, going from a Bullseye flange to a blade that I just had refinished at Scotty's Custom Shop. Going from just a little offset to none at all fits my eye, and with the lighter head in this one (330g versus 350g) I went to a longer shaft (35" versus 34"). The longer length just feels better to me right now after years at 34". Not sure why but going with it.

A few more tweaks to the bag to start 2016. I've switched fairway woods again and have gone to a SLDR 3HL with a Speeder 757X shaft. I've gone through a progression with the fairway woods in recent months. My 915FD 15* D+ 80X was great off the tee but I had trouble at times hitting it off the deck. Went to a 910F 17* ADDI 7X and it was much better off the fairway, but on occasion the tee shots would get away on me (and I hit a fairway off the tee quite a bit). Hope is that the SLDR/Speeder combo is the goldilocks solution to that spot in the bag. So far so good. Also bought a matching 5HL with the same shaft, but guessing most of the time it won't be in the bag and I'll carry the Apex UT 21* instead. That's what I'm doing right now.

Also switched putters, going from a Bullseye flange to a blade that I just had refinished at Scotty's Custom Shop. Going from just a little offset to none at all fits my eye, and with the lighter head in this one (330g versus 350g) I went to a longer shaft (35" versus 34"). The longer length just feels better to me right now after years at 34". Not sure why but going with it.

Is that the black oxide finish on your Bullseye Blade ? What color is its topline site dot now ? What grip model do you have on the putter ? Thanks.

The SLDR HL 3w is my most consistent club in my bag, love it. Nice set up

Is that the black oxide finish on your Bullseye Blade ? What color is its topline site dot now ? What grip model do you have on the putter ? Thanks.

Yep, that's the black oxide finish. The sight dot is white now, and the grip is a black Studio Design.

Yep, that's the black oxide finish. The sight dot is white now, and the grip is a black Studio Design.

How do you like the black (body) white (site dot) on the blade, compared to the silver-black which you looked at using the flange model? Any significant playing difference for you ?

How do you like the black (body) white (site dot) on the blade, compared to the silver-black which you looked at using the flange model? Any significant playing difference for you ?

I've always had a preference for black putters, hence the choice of finish. Really happy with how it came out. That said, in terms of performance there is no difference with the new color.

• 8 months later...

It's been a while since I last updated this, so thought I would post my current bag. Just a few changes on the margins.

1. Went back to the 910F 17* with the AD DI 7X instead of the SLDR 3HL - I just wasn't consistent enough with the SLDR off the deck. This works better for me.

2. For much of the year was playing 712U 3 and 4 irons, replacing the Apex UTs. I think it was a shaft issue more than anything with the UTs - the Recoils just launched it way too high. Have a S300 in my 4 iron and a C-Taper S+ in the 3. Idea for the latter shaft was to lower the spin and give me a more penetrating ball flight (and a bit of extra distance). Worked well but really had to go after it to hit it solid. Recently replaced the 712U 3 iron with a 913HD 20* AD DI 105X. Gives me a similar ball flight and doesn't feel like I'm swinging as hard. So far the shaft is helping me avoid the big hooks, always my issue with hybrids. Will see if this experiment lasts. Also thinking of going to a S300 in the 713U 3, but a little worried that will cost me some distance and mess up my gaps.

3. Took my Bullseye out of the bag in favour of the Golo S5. Just wanted (needed?) the extra forgiveness that the mallet gives me. Has a straight shaft and some toe hang, so not too different a setup from the Bullseyes. Playing it at 35"

• 1 month later...

Well, the 913HD was in and out of the bag without ever taking it on the course. The more I hit it inside this winter the less convinced I was that this was the solution. Ball flight was pretty flat, and I could still occasionally really hook it despite the robust shaft and low spin head. Every once in a while I try our a hybrid until I am once again reminded why I probably shouldn't carry one.

But what ultimately kicked it out of the bag was the acquisition of a 915F 7 wood. Stumbled across one in great shape at a demo sale. Had a R-flex RIP Phenom in it, but I swapped that out for a D+ 80X I had kicking around from my 915FD. Wow. Hit that way better than the hybrid. Ball flight was high (but not too high) and straight. My home course has 3 par 3s that are over 200 yards - ideal for this club. The worry is whether I can keep it in play off the tee on the tight par 4s where I was hitting the 712u 3 iron last year. We shall see

I was hitting the 7 wood so well that I decided to try out the 915FD again... and still had the same issues. Think that head is just too much for me. What I did do is order a 915F 16.5 with the same D+ 80X shaft. Haven't had a chance to hit it yet but cautiously optimistic I'll have the same luck with that one and pick up a little distance over my current 4 wood. If not, happy to go back to the 910F.

Last change is a new putter. Bought off a fellow member a Bettinardi BB35. I'm a sucker for center-shafted mid mallets, but never had one with the boxcar shape this one has. Extended it to 34.75" and will give it a go.

I'll post pictures in a few weeks when I put the bag together down in Florida.

Well, the 913HD was in and out of the bag without ever taking it on the course. The more I hit it inside this winter the less convinced I was that this was the solution. Ball flight was pretty flat, and I could still occasionally really hook it despite the robust shaft and low spin head. Every once in a while I try our a hybrid until I am once again reminded why I probably shouldn't carry one.

But what ultimately kicked it out of the bag was the acquisition of a 915F 7 wood. Stumbled across one in great shape at a demo sale. Had a R-flex RIP Phenom in it, but I swapped that out for a D+ 80X I had kicking around from my 915FD. Wow. Hit that way better than the hybrid. Ball flight was high (but not too high) and straight. My home course has 3 par 3s that are over 200 yards - ideal for this club. The worry is whether I can keep it in play off the tee on the tight par 4s where I was hitting the 712u 3 iron last year. We shall see

I was hitting the 7 wood so well that I decided to try out the 915FD again... and still had the same issues. Think that head is just too much for me. What I did do is order a 915F 16.5 with the same D+ 80X shaft. Haven't had a chance to hit it yet but cautiously optimistic I'll have the same luck with that one and pick up a little distance over my current 4 wood. If not, happy to go back to the 910F.

Last change is a new putter. Bought off a fellow member a Bettinardi BB35. I'm a sucker for center-shafted mid mallets, but never had one with the boxcar shape this one has. Extended it to 34.75" and will give it a go.

I'll post pictures in a few weeks when I put the bag together down in Florida.

Looking forward to see some new pics

• 1 year later...

Update for 2018 - a handful of changes from the start of last year, and after a week of playing in Florida with this setup I'm going to give it a go for a while.

Driver: TaylorMade 2017 M1 9.5* Kuro Kage XT 60X

I went to TXG in Toronto in December to be fit by Ian Fraser for a new driver. First real club fitting experience that I've had, and really enjoyed the process. Initial baseline from my 913 D3 suggested I would be better off in something that spun less - with an upward angle of attack of 5* and clubhead speed of 109 mph, the 2900 rpm spin was too much. The head/shaft combinations I tested knocked off about 1000 rpms and I was getting the ball out there a decent amount further. Tried out a G400 LST and Epic Sub Zero, but the M1 was giving me the best numbers. The Kuro Kage XT was the best combination of performance and feel from the various shafts I tried. Taking it on the course last week, initial results were somewhat mixed. The good swings were great - I'm sure I was getting it out further than my old driver. However, I wasn't as consistent as I would have liked and at the start of the week had a two-way miss going. Tough to tell how much of that was the new club and how much was me being rusty, but as the week went on a tweak to the driver's weights and a slight change in my setup was producing much more consistent results and I stopped hitting the big block to the right. It's promising enough that I'll be using it when the season starts locally and will see how it performs when I get some more reps in.

4 iron - Titleist 716 TMB AMT S300

I've been through a few driving irons, and I think I'm still searching for the perfect one. Love the forgiveness, but not someone who likes a really big head, lots of offset, or how some of them balloon on me. The TMB takes care of all of those issues for me. Can shape shots with it and the smaller head is more playable out of the rough than the others I've tried. The only thing I really don't like is the feel. Compared to the 712U, it feels somewhat dead to me when I hit it. Don't get a pure feeling when I flush one. But I'm willing to give that up if the ball flies how I like. Hit it a little further than the 712U, and so had my 5 iron bent a degree strong to help with the gaps. Long end of my bag is now roughly:

3 wood - 235

7 wood - 215

4 iron - 200

5 iron - 185

6 iron - 170

Then 10 yard gaps until I get to my wedges.

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM6 50.08F (bent 49), 54.10S, Vokey WedgeWorks Low Bounce K 60.06 (bent 59)

Loved my old Tour Trusty wedges, but they had enough mileage on them (4 years) that I figured it was time to replace them. First time I went to Vokeys. Had a bit of an adventure figuring out the lob wedge, chronicled here: http://www.golfwrx.c...-m-vs-l-grinds/

Started with a M grind and then a L, but in both cases the leading edge sat too far off the ground for my liking. Early returns on the low bounce K that I ordered have been encouraging - I like it much better than the others. Playing off Bermuda grass in Florida isn't the best testing for it though - looking forward to getting it out on my home course and see how it goes.

Putter: PXG Gunboat H 35"

I go through a lot of putters, but I think I've narrowed down what works for me. No more than 1/2 shaft offset. Some toe hang. The forgiveness of a mallet. My Bullseye collection tempts me, and I got a sweet Tour Issue TP Mills that looks awesome, but realistically the above is what works. The obvious choice, and what I gamed most of last year, is the TM Spider Tour (I had the black). The good news was that the ball actually went where I aimed. But my issue was the feel - just didn't like the insert, and my lag putting suffered. Missed fewer 4 footers, but the trade-off was more three putts from 30 ft. The Gunboat H checks all of the same boxes as the Spider, but goofing around with a demo at TXG it felt a million times better to me, so I grabbed one. Very happy I did so. My putting last week was excellent, both short putts and from distance. Best part of my game on the trip. Maybe this is the one that sticks...

• 2 months later...

Just one tweak to the bag since the last update - the 7 Wood has been replaced by a 716 TMB 3 iron, same shaft as the 4 iron already in there. In the tournaments I've been playing in this year having a stronger-lofted driving iron off the tee has been more desirable than the higher lofted wood. I have been striking it so well that it has stayed in my bag on my home course - managing to hold the green on the couple of par 3s where I sometimes need the distance depending on the wind. Plus, I have a trip to Scotland coming up in July - for sure I want it in the bag over there!

Only other tweak I'm contemplating is swapping in a 46* Vokey for my set PW - hitting the other wedges really well right now, maybe the magic carries over. Haven't pulled the trigger on trying that out yet though.

Oops - went to change my signature and forgot the other change since I last updated. My 915F 16.5 has been swapped out for a M1 3HL with a Kuro Kage XT 70X shaft. I've had lots of success with my new driver, and decided to get a fairway wood with a matching shaft. Went with the 3HL so that I could crank the face wide open and still have it at a "normal" 3W loft. It's been great so far, other than it's maybe a little too long off the tee sometimes. Good problem to have.

Just one tweak to the bag since the last update - the 7 Wood has been replaced by a 716 TMB 3 iron, same shaft as the 4 iron already in there. In the tournaments I've been playing in this year having a stronger-lofted driving iron off the tee has been more desirable than the higher lofted wood. I have been striking it so well that it has stayed in my bag on my home course - managing to hold the green on the couple of par 3s where I sometimes need the distance depending on the wind. Plus, I have a trip to Scotland coming up in July - for sure I want it in the bag over there!

Only other tweak I'm contemplating is swapping in a 46* Vokey for my set PW - hitting the other wedges really well right now, maybe the magic carries over. Haven't pulled the trigger on trying that out yet though.

Where are you heading in Scotland? I've got a trip planned around going to the Open - might see you there?

Where are you heading in Scotland? I've got a trip planned around going to the Open - might see you there?

A little earlier - playing the 5th through 8th.

Quick question, how's the low bounce k working for you?

I am moving from vegas to florida next month, and have been eyeing one. I have always been a low bounce wedge guy but I have never played florida courses.

Really liking it. For my lob wedge, I like a leading edge that sits pretty close to the turf when the club is square, and that's the case with this one. Can really clip the ball nicely on partial shots off the fairway. The wide sole is great out of bunkers and the rough. Not a club that I'm comfortable really opening up off a tight lie, but that's never been a shot I use much anyway. But that's the only negative I can come up with.

• 10 months later...

Updating for the start of the 2019 season. Since my last post, the only clubs unchanged are my Driver and wedges. Yikes. Quick summary:

Irons: I get a new set of irons about once a decade. First time in 20 years I didn’t go Mizuno, opting for 718 AP2s. Right balance of looks and technology for my game. Got fit outside, really liked seeing the ball flight. Started with S300s, which I played forever. Hit about 6 balls and was hitting it really well. Launch was just a bit lower than what my fitter wanted. Put in KBS Tour 120s, went up just slightly, and that was the winner. Tried some other shafts for fun but nothing topped those. Overall picked up about 5 yards on my MP-63s with the change. Made the change in August and no regrets.

Utility Irons - Swapped out my 716 T-MB 3 iron for my old 712U 3 iron with a new AD-DI 95x shaft towards the end of last year and again positive change for my game. Just find the 712 easier to hit, less prone to over swinging. In fact, it’s gone so well I’ve replaced my 3 wood with a 712U 2 iron, meaning I go straight from driver to irons. This should work at my home course - never need to hit a wood off the fairway, and I think the 2 iron will be more useful as a safety club off the tee that the wood. Plus I look cooler with fewer headcovers.

Putter: Long offseason but only bought two putters, not bad for me. Gaming the Swag Suave One - it was time to go back to a blade, and is this ever a good looking one. Feeling much better on short putts with this style of putter versus the bigger mallets I’ve used recently.

I’m sure I’ll swap 2 iron/3 wood depending on the course, and I change putters way too often, but the rest of the bag should be pretty set for the season. Home course opens Monday - can’t wait!

khnbpfstd6p7.jpeg

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

Saw my last WITB was from 2019 and at the time I went straight from Driver to 2 iron. It's, um, changed the last few years. Put it this way - I've gone from 2 headcovers to 5. Also, amazingly enough, the only club that remains from my previous WITB is my Driver. Ian Fraser fit me into that one in December 2017 and I hit it so well I haven't even thought about changing. As for the rest of the bag:

5-wood - Ping G425 Max Rogue White 130 MSI 80X

So I had mostly been using the '17 M1 3HL as my fairway wood the last few years, but then the sliding weight cracked on it and it turned out to be amazingly difficult to buy a replacement weight for it in Canada. Tried using a SIM 5 wood turned down to 17* for a while but didn't love it. Based on the success I had with the hybrids (see below) I decided to try out a G425 5 wood set to 16.5* and flat. I'm loving it. All I do is hit that thing 240 straight. Not sure if it's the head or shaft (or most likely some combo), but it just works. At my home course I hit it off the tee 6-8 times a round depending on what tees I'm playing. Probably my favorite club in the bag right now.

Hybrids - Ping G410 22* & 26* Even Flow Black 85 6.5

Honestly it was a TXG video that convinced me to give these a try. I figured if any hybrids were going to take away the left miss, it would be these Pings set open and flat and with a stout low/low shaft in them. And... they worked. Big hooks are rare and the consistency is just so much better right now than long irons. Gaps work pretty well with these. My distances are:

5 Wood -240

4 Hybrid - 220

5 Hybrid - 200

5 iron - 185

6 Iron - 170

and then 10 yards per iron until I get into wedges. That's perfect for me. 

Irons - Wilson Staff Model Blades 5-PW DG S300

Had the 718 AP2s for a few years and quite liked them, but was never completely sold they were the ones. Over the last few years I was going back and forth between those and some MP33s that I have, and the latter generally fared better. I think that's for two reasons, one rational and one kind of dumb. The rational one is that I'm a sweeper and the thin soles on the 33s just work better when it come to turf interaction. The dumb one is that when I'm hitting a blade I know if I swing too hard I'm in trouble, so I tend to slow down and make smoother swings. The more technology I have in an iron, the harder I swing and end up with worse results. All user error, but that's the reality. The drawbacks with the 33s were that the long irons were more inconsistent, fixed by swapping them for the hybrids, and that the weaker lofts meant they flew shorter than the AP2s and my gaps were a little awkward. Didn't want to bend them because a. they're perfect and b. more offset is my enemy. So I decided to source a new set of blades that I could hit a little longer, maybe a little less spin, but still get through the turf as well as the 33s. The winner was the Wilson Staff Model Blades. Honestly it was mostly on looks - these things are amazing. Performance on the course thus far has been exactly what I wanted, but the course was pretty soft this fall. Haven't got to try them on baked summer fairways, but I'm cautiously optimistic.

Wedges - Same as before just SM8s instead of SM6s as the old ones wore out

Putter - Odyssey Tour Authentic 2-Ball Ten

Impulse buy at GolfTown but a good one! I never tried out a 2-Ball before as I never liked the clubhead shape, just wasn't for me. But once they put the two balls on a Spider-shaped head I was intrigued and took a look. Honestly, that alignment system works for me. I think it unlocked something in my brain and I just got way better at getting the proper line on mid-range puts. Was lucky to get the version that had the OG White Hot insert, which I quite like.

Anyway, played some of my best golf ever towards the end of the season with this bag, no changes planned in the offseason. 

WITB 2021 1.jpg

WITB 2021 2.jpg

WITB 2021 3.jpg

WITB 2021 4.jpg

Edited by Potch