Pit Barrel Cooker

mshills

I've been a barbecue fiend for a long time, and part of the enjoyment has been making a good old fashioned Weber Kettle grill into whatever I need it to be. It takes plenty of work and fussing over the cook to make a kettle into a serviceable smoker, but it can be done. I've never liked the side / offset smokers that much, and I've not been able to talk myself into dropping the $$$$ for a Backwoods or the $$$$$$$$$$ for a Stumps (the Rolls Royce of smokers.)

I wanted to get something that I can light off in the morning and not mess with it as much. To keep the temp down in the kettle and keep the fire lit requires some ghetto-rigging and lots of attention and fuss during the cook.

So I ordered a Pit Barrel Cooker this week for the princely sum of $300. I cannot find a bad review or bad experience with this thing anywhere on the Web. I fired it up for the first time this morning. Currently cooking two chickens (four halves) and two racks of spare ribs. One rub on the chickens, a different one on the ribs. Going to sauce one of the ribs with a mustard sauce and leave the other dry, I think (but I have a few hours to decide. :D )

Anyone have a Pit Barrel or a similar ugly drum? Curious to hear experiences with 'em.

http://pitbarrelcooker.com/

Adaptive Golf.....look out for the one-armed man:

Ping G425 Max Driver, 5W, 7W....+2"

PXG 0211 hybrids, 25*, 28*, 31*….+2”

PXG 0211 8i - SW….+3” or Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

Bobby Grace F-22 side saddle

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Built one out of an old wood stove and 55gal drum. For as much monkeying around as it took for essentially free materials for the time I could've bought a Traeger and been done.

Or one of those pit barrels. Mine is doing deer jerky currently.

Takomo IGNIS D1 9° HZRDUS Smoke Blue 60g / Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Apex '19 3H HZRDUS Handcrafted HYB 85g
PXG 0311P Gen 6 Black Label Elite 4-G KBS Tour Lite S / Miura Baby Blades 3-P Steelfiber 110cw / PING ISI Nickel 1-L G Loomis reg flex
Callaway Jaws Raw 54.10S / 58.8Z
PING Anser 2 Jim Wells 36" / Bettinardi BB-1 (2022) 35" / PING Anser 2 1981 35" / Scotty Cameron CT Squareback Proto 35" 375g

Outlaw Golf Association #21

I absolutely love my PBC. It basically makes you a BBQ master without having to sit and tend a fire for hours on end. The chicken off of it is amazing. Very juicy with a nice kiss of smoke and charcoal flavor. It makes better ribs, brisket, and pork than any restaurant near me.

I'd monitor temps a bit to dial in the cooker, but once you do that don't try to adjust anything. Just follow the starting routine and watch the time.

Just ate some of the chicken. It took MUCH longer than two hours, but with these results it could take ten hours and I'd be fine with that. I've made some great chicken -- Big Bob Gibson's white 'Bama chicken, chicken under a brick, Cornell chicken, jerk chicken, Nashville style hot chicken, and many others. I've never had chicken as good as I just ate. Breast was the perfect texture and not even a hint of dryness. Amazing. My days of damned near getting salmonella with beer can chicken are done -- no more gimmicks.

I think the ribs should be ready to rock and roll in another hour or so.

Hi ms hills

I bought a PBC this spring after a lot of looking around. I wanted to bbq, but I didn't have the time or interest in a huge learning curve. I liked what I saw on their incredible website and the price seemed fair.

I agree with the longer cooking times than expected. I insert a temp sensor into whatever I'm cooking, set my target temp and walk away. Times vary but an average pork butt is around 2.5 hrs to 165* and another 2 hours to 200* after wrapping. But, the results are fantastic. And there's nothing like the delicious smells that fill the yard all day while it cooks.

I highly recommend doing a roast beef or prime rib in you PBC. I don't think I'll ever cook another in an oven ever again.

Are you guys doing temp monitoring in the PBC? Might want to open the vent a bit more. The sweet spot on it is around 280-290*. My chicken comes in right at the two hour mark on average, although sometimes it's a bit more.

I do agree that there are things I will now never cook another way.

FYI, a great way to use up the rest of the charcoal after you're done with your chicken or ribs is to cook up a few fatties. Get a roll of sausage, jimmy dean works well, but I usually do turkey sausage. You can do a basic fatty by just taking the roll out of the wrap, hitting it with some rub, and dropping it on the grate. Smoke it for about 2 hours to a good temp, take it off and slice it up. Enjoy it plain or use a bbq sauce for dipping. You can brush it with sauce to set near the end on the cooker as well. For a more advanced fatty, you can flatten out the sausage into a sheet and put some goodies like cheese and cooked peppers and mushrooms and roll it back up and smoke. Great stuff

This was the inaugural cook, so no temp monitoring on the cooker. I'm in Miami, so had the damper just barely open -- I think I will open it just a bit more for the next cook.

No complaints at all. Things took longer than advertised, but with bbq, patience is always rewarded. I'm happy to wait for the food quality we achieved yesterday. The ribs could have stayed on another hour, but that's all right -- was cooking full spare ribs versus the typical St Louis cut and this of course will take longer.

The ribs were good but I've made ribs of this quality before. The chicken was absolutely off the hook.

I have always wanted a Stumps smoker, but the price has always been a bit too high a hurdle.

Friend of mine back in Atlanta had (I assume still has) one and the craftsmanship is top notch. Stumps now has a couple new additions to the lineup that are more in budget -- perhaps next year!

i know this isn't the true way to smoke, but i'm considering the Camp Chef smoker, which can be converted to natural gas. I'll have a grill hooked up to natural gas off the back of house, so i'd like to have a smoker do the same and not worry about propane or using wood and having to babysit all day. seems to get good reviews.

Ping G400 LST 10 w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 75g
TM M2 3HL w/ Rogue Black 70 S
Cobra F8 19*
J15CB w/ Modus 120X 4-P
Cleveland RTX3 CB 50 54 58
TM Spider Tour Black w/ T-sightline 36" 

Offset here.
I looked at cabinet style smokers last year, and I agree "Stump dont build no junk", but cost wise it was a bit out of my league.
Felt I didnt need a gravity fed smoker.

If I do ever pull the trigger on a cabinet it'll prolly be a pitmaker vault, better bang for my buck.YMMV

That PBC, seems fairly priced to me, and I've built one or two UDS's in my time.

-D

I've got a big green egg and love it. Probably the most versatile cooker out there.

Low and slow at 250 for 16+ hours... 700+ searing... Wood fired pizzas... Baking/roasting... All are no problems. The only draw back is grilling for large crowds, space can be limited. So I have a Weber gas grill for that...

Well worth the high cost. If you don't knock clumsily knock it over it will last a lifetime.

• 2 weeks later...

I did a partial trial of the PBC in preparation for Thanksgiving and made a turkey breast. Conclusion: There will be no turducken in our house this year. No need to do all that work. This turkey breast was absolutely, positively, by far and away the finest turkey I've eaten.

Salted it pretty heavy (under and on the skin) the night before. The morning of, I made a paste of olive oil, sugar, black pepper, rosemary, thyme, oregano, and sage. Applied it liberally under the skin, then lightly on the skin.

Hung that bad boy and cooked to exactly 160F. I've never in my life had turkey that tasted so good, anywhere. It is better than fried turkey and much easier.

Will do a whole turkey with the same technique. I will probably spatchcock the turkey -- either that or halve it to get even better browning and even cooking.

• 2 years later...

Hmmm. Looked at PBC but ended up getting a 24" Camp Chef propane smoker over the holidays. Only smoke periodically and this seemed to tick most of the boxes. Needing one that was reasonably portable, didn't require periodic reloading with charcoal, decent quality and at reasonable price. Just one smoke so far, a shake down with a turkey breast. Apple and cherry wood chips, 6.5 hours. Came out great. Getting use to dialing in a steady temp was a bit tricky, then again I was using it when it was 0* outside. One mod has already been discovered, need to adjust the vents so that I can close them down a bit more than how they're set up now. And invest in good digital thermo that I can monitor externally.

Wasn't exactly a set it and forget it setup, but I was sort of babysitting as I monitored what was going on the first time. Had to reload chips every two hours. Using larger wood chunks should help with that. A big improvement over the POS cheap charcoal smoker I was using.

Weber kettle. Still have one, over 30 years old. Still gets the job done, the go to for grilling up some premium steaks over charcoal. If I had to choose only one smoker/grille, I'd take a Weber. So versatile. And with mods, can turn it into a very effective smoker.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

If I had to choose only one smoker/grille, I'd take a Weber. So versatile. And with mods, can turn it into a very effective smoker.

Couldn't agree more. It lacks volume once you set it up for smoking. But other than perhaps that capacity issue, there is nothing you cannot do and do well on a simple Weber charcoal. All of these other smokers are just awesome luxuries.

I have a 22" Weber Performer (kettle) that I use for charcoal grilling and smoking. It takes a little trial and error, and a good thermometer, to figure out a smoking routine but once you find it you have it... The big smokers are nice but for function and practicality the kettle works for my grilling/smoking needs.

I love golf

Driver:  2018 Cally Rogue 10.5* (Set to 12.5*)

Fairway Metals:  Ping G30 14.5* and 18*

Irons:   PXG Gen3 0311P (4-G) MMT80 Stiff

Wedges:  PXG 0311 Forged 54*/58* MMT80 Stiff

Putter:  Odyssey Stroke Lab “Double Wide” 34”

Bag:  G-Fore Daytona Plus (AKA: Vessel Lite)

Have had a PBC for three years and absolutely love it. Use it for ribs and pork butt for pulled pork and it is hands down awesome! Also have used the wire rack and used it as a traditional charcoal unit for the big, thick cowboy ribeyes!

Well done Hawkey... Well done... (no pun intended)

I love golf

Driver:  2018 Cally Rogue 10.5* (Set to 12.5*)

Fairway Metals:  Ping G30 14.5* and 18*

Irons:   PXG Gen3 0311P (4-G) MMT80 Stiff

Wedges:  PXG 0311 Forged 54*/58* MMT80 Stiff

Putter:  Odyssey Stroke Lab “Double Wide” 34”

Bag:  G-Fore Daytona Plus (AKA: Vessel Lite)

Have had a PBC for three years and absolutely love it. Use it for ribs and pork butt for pulled pork and it is hands down awesome! Also have used the wire rack and used it as a traditional charcoal unit for the big, thick cowboy ribeyes!

How do you get the sear on your steaks on the PBC?

I've made thick steaks on the PBC, but usually bring them up to rare on the PBC and then flip them over to a roaring hot bed of charcoal on my Weber for a quick reverse sear, medium rare finish.

How do you get the sear on your steaks on the PBC?

I've made thick steaks on the PBC, but usually bring them up to rare on the PBC and then flip them over to a roaring hot bed of charcoal on my Weber for a quick reverse sear, medium rare finish.

I honestly can't explain other than I let it run pretty hot for those and only partially close the lid a bit, or just have it off to sear, so it's not like a slow cook. I wouldn't say it's a sear like I can get on my gas grill, but I seem to get better looking color (more uniform without burning) with the PBC and charcoal overall for sure, which is really nice.

Oh, and tip for you PBC people. They recommend (but when I got it don't really remember them insisting, lol) some kind of buffer between the bottom of the PBC and your deck - GET SOMETHING!

I'd used mine for two seasons thinking I didn't need one since it sits up. Never had a problem. Last summer, while cooking some of these very steaks and running hot I'm sitting out there with my dad, and I'm chatting aimlessly (surprise) and he says quite calmly, "I think your deck is on fire." Sure enough the surface of the deck was lit under the PBC. Got the little extinguisher out and put out the fire and monitored and continued the barbecue. My first thought was maybe I had some kind of hole in the bottom, but it was just the heat from the PBC to the deck. Don't know if having a new oil finish on it was a factor, or just too damn hot and it had been really dry, but learned my lesson. Concrete pavers seem to work fine. I guess it is fire after all and I was reminded why I do keep a little extinguisher handy, so at least I had that part right, but first time I've ever had to use it in 30+ years of grilling.

^^^^ The warning about the deck is no joke! Earlier this fall I cooked a GOOSE in the PBC -- couple hours in I go outside to have a look and see a jet/flame whistling out of the bottom vent! So much fat had rendered from the goose that it had created quite a grease fire in the base! I was grateful that I had it set up in my driveway and not on my deck -- that could have been BAD.

Slightly less important, but I salvaged the cook. :-) Apparently the grease fire had not been going very long. Grabbed the bird out of the cooker, left the lid off, and let the fire burn out. Took a while, and with the lid off, it was quite a fire! Re-lit the cooker and went back to business. :-)

Hawk, those steaks look fantastic. Nice work!

On using a Weber Kettle for a smoker, yep, it can be done. I enjoy it, as I've found it requires some attention and some fussing (which I find fun), but here is a tip. Get a Lodge or similar cast iron Dutch oven. Fill it about halfway or 2/3 full with water and put it in the bottom of the grill. Build the fire on the other side. The cast iron and the water give you the much-needed heat sink for temperature stability -- the temp will rise more slowly and you can maintain a low(er) temperature with less fussing over the coals. I never mastered brisket on the kettle grill, but made some great Boston butt pulled pork this way.

Hawk, those steaks look great.

I've had a Rectec 680 pellet smoker for 2 years and love it. Set it and it'll run forever.

Recommend checking out a Fireboard thermometer. Wifi allows me to monitor my grill from anywhere.

Brisket, ribs, pork and beef, turkey, chicken, pulled pork....everything is great, but our favorite is reverse sear filets.

Hawk, those steaks look great.

I've had a Rectec 680 pellet smoker for 2 years and love it. Set it and it'll run forever.

Recommend checking out a Fireboard thermometer. Wifi allows me to monitor my grill from anywhere.

Brisket, ribs, pork and beef, turkey, chicken, pulled pork....everything is great, but our favorite is reverse sear filets.

All looks great, but I'm craving that brisket right now!