2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Which "anser style" putter to get ? Are new ones coming for '09?

JanKo

I am in the market for a new putter and can´t really decide which one I should give a try. Right now I´m leaning towards a Cameron Studio Select 1.5. Because I´m a blade-putter guy and seem to putt better with only a half-shaft-offset.

Are there any other high quality putters that you could recommend with a half-shaft-offset and without any inserts? I couldn´t find that much, most blade putters seem to have a plumbers neck, which I can´t stand. Price should be $250 - $300 maximum, new or in very good used condition.

Thanks for your help.

Yamaha V202 Tour - Tour AD BB-7
Yamaha v FW 14° - Tour AD BB-7
Yamaha IFF 19° - Tour AD DI-7
Epon Personal 3-P - DG Pro
Yamaha Inpres X 52° 58° - DG Spinner
Golds Factory SUS 303 custom
WITB Link

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if you are looking for the "asner style", then why not go to he who invented the asner style?.......PING!!!!

They have many to choose from without inserts, including the milled 303 steel ones, if you are set on spending lots on a putter. There are many others they have as well.

Point is, instead of looking to Anser style from those who copied, just go to the source.

Titleist 915 D3 9.5 degree, Oban Devolution 6 (03 stiffness) 65g
TE Exotics CB2 3w 15 degree Proforce V2
Mizuno JPX 825 19 deg Hybrid fujikura s
Ping i20 blue dot, Rifle Project X 5.5
Cleveland RTX 588 56 degree, Rotex 2.0
Ping Anser 2i isopur

C&L (350milled.com) makes a flowneck for $279 that you can get customized however you like it. I've had the plumber's neck version, and it's great.

The Yes! Tracy II is also a putter you might like to try. It has a flowneck and really puts a nice roll on the ball. And for about $140, it's a pretty good deal.

Thanks for your replies.

That C&L is great, I will give it a closer look for sure.

I should have said, but the Tracy II is the putter I´m using at the moment - just like my signature says. :good:

It´s a good putter and the roll is great, but somehow I´m not overall convinced that this is the right one for the next 5 years, hard to explain.

The original Anser is quite good and the Redwood series is really good. The only Problem is, the Redwood Ansers all have the plumbers neck, which I don´t want. The only half shaft offset is the Redwood ZB, but that´s somehow too "funky" for me, I guess.

WITB Link

BYRON 007.

index.png

index1.png

index3.png

index4.png

Titleist TSi2 10* Driver Tensei Blue 55S
TM Sim2 Max 16.5* 3 wood Tensei Blue 60S

TM SIM2 Titanium 5 Wood Tensei Blue 65S

TM SIM2 MAx 4 Hybrid Ventus Stiff shaft
Ping G410 5-UW Alta Graphite Shafts
Vokey SM8 56* sand wedge, Vokey SM9 60* lob wedge
Black Lab Oil Can 350g custom grind by "Geo" putter

C&L 350 Milled Oil Can Putter (3 of them!)

As a better alternative

BeCu Anser 4 Or Stainless Steel Anser 4 sent to Ping WRX for pretty much anything you want, sightline, dot, extra weighting

See Beruo's putter on this link

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/index.php?sh...mp;#entry961509

Probably not the type of putter you were looking for, but kudos goes to Ping buyers :good:

That Byron 007x with Rincon neck is just gorgeous, this one is my favourite so far. Maybe I will have to spend a little more than I wanted to... :good:

WITB Link

Dont want stainless, then just order an 007 in OIL CAN:

007oilcan1.jpg

007oilcan2.jpg

if you are looking for the "asner style", then why not go to he who invented the asner style?.......PING!!!!

They have many to choose from without inserts, including the milled 303 steel ones, if you are set on spending lots on a putter. There are many others they have as well.

Point is, instead of looking to Anser style from those who copied, just go to the source.

+1 on the comment above, just check my sig. Can order just about any Ping model you like brand new from Mortons Golf, who are also a site sponsor of Wrx :good:

+1 on the comment above, just check my sig. Can order just about any Ping model you like brand new from Mortons Golf, who are also a site sponsor of Wrx :good:

that could definitely be an option

although the Redwood line doesn't come in Anser 4 form, so you'll find Ping wanting in the milled section

TP "Klassics" or "Softtails" are worth a look. They can be found for under $300 new or around $200-$250 used but like new. Even if the website says that they are out of stock, contact Jay Green, member id "glenwayputters". He can help you find what you're looking for. - Good Luck

http://tpmillsputters.com/index.aspx

+2 why get a xerox? get the original. Hate to say this but go check out the bay to see what you can find.

easy, get the button back

how does that contribute to the thread?

the OP wanted no insert, a 1.5 neck and a budget of $250 to $300

the button back satisfys none of those criterias

Especially the princepoint!

Thanks for all your suggestions. :rolleyes:

I think I will borrow some OTR putters just to try them, but I´m really attracted by a custom Byron. I might have to save some more money for a 007x rincon, that one is definetely gorgeous.

WITB Link

You should definitely go for the Byron. Putting is all about confidence, and I can tell you from experience that theres nothing better for your confidence than putting with a beautiful putter like that. When you show up to the course and you whip that baby out, you just know everyone is looking at your putter and is going to ask to you roll a couple with it. Then you drop a couple bombs with it.... its all over.

Also, theres nothing better than the feel of soft carbon steel.. will definitely make you think differently about most OTR putters... even the high end ones.

Here is my 007 with Ricon neck finished in Black Star mist, 350g and a sound slot. This putter is tremendous!!! I would definitely recommend a 007 to anyone and will get another with the same specs but finished with copper plating.

These are not my pictures but they are of my putter.

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

As a better alternative

BeCu Anser 4 Or Stainless Steel Anser 4 sent to Ping WRX for pretty much anything you want, sightline, dot, extra weighting

See Beruo's putter on this link

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/index.php?sh...mp;#entry961509

Probably not the type of putter you were looking for, but kudos goes to Ping buyers :beee:

Ah, actually have the Anser 4 thread HERE, though the pics aren't as good. Fits the bill a little better for what reapl's looking for. I'm definitely a huge fan of the Pings and what they will do to make the putter yours, but it's hard to go wrong with all the quality makers out there.

You seriously can't go wrong with the Byron though, which seems to be the way you're leaning. Feel and feedback on them are exceptional. Weights tend to run a little on the heavy side, which seems to be a plus for most people. TP Mills putters are also a solid choice, but they tend to feel softer than most non-insert putters (not a bad thing AT ALL as it's all about personal preferences).

About the only premium putter brand I haven't tried but have a hankering for is Machine. Prices are about the same as most other custom putters with a bit more wiggle room for custom options (including your preferred neck style). Aesthetically, they are some of the very best out there too: craftsmanship on par with Bettinardi with the craftsman's touch on par with David Mills.

Either way, good luck with your search. My preferred headstyle is pretty much the same as yours but I've been able to find enough putters to fill the urges...and I'm a lefty. Your hunt should be that much easier. :rolleyes:

:hi:

RobotDoctor, that is such a gorgeous putter! If you ever want to part with it, please let me know. :beee:

And beruo, I must admit, that your tungsten weighted Anser 4 with the Guyson finish looks great. Too bad they aren´t producing a Redwood Anser 4. Maybe I´ll just get a used Anser 4 (should be quite cheap) to try it and If I´m convinced I can still order a custom one.

Custom putters are so beautiful and I would love to buy one. But as a student there´s not that much money for just "giving it a try", especially since I won´t be able to sell it anywhere near that price I paid for it. Here in Germany the golf market isn´t that big, I don´t believe anybody will pay a lot of money for a Byron oder WRX´ed Anser4.

The next putter has to be the one I´m keeping for quite some time. (Well I guess this is what Sergio´s thinking every day... at least he gets his flatsticks for free) :rolleyes:

WITB Link

RobotDoctor, that is such a gorgeous putter! If you ever want to part with it, please let me know. :huh:

And beruo, I must admit, that your tungsten weighted Anser 4 with the Guyson finish looks great. Too bad they aren´t producing a Redwood Anser 4. Maybe I´ll just get a used Anser 4 (should be quite cheap) to try it and If I´m convinced I can still order a custom one.

Custom putters are so beautiful and I would love to buy one. But as a student there´s not that much money for just "giving it a try", especially since I won´t be able to sell it anywhere near that price I paid for it. Here in Germany the golf market isn´t that big, I don´t believe anybody will pay a lot of money for a Byron oder WRX´ed Anser4.

The next putter has to be the one I´m keeping for quite some time. (Well I guess this is what Sergio´s thinking every day... at least he gets his flatsticks for free) :drinks:

Ah! Didn't even realize you were overseas until just now. I tend to err on the side of Ping most the times with putters (less silly drama and politics than most companies lately, it seems :beee:), and would recommend you at least set yourself up with a cheap one and see if it's what you want before dropping the coin on something more spendy. I went with one after my Byron, but only because I've had so much success with it in the past. Most of the putters I get are an attempt to follow in the Anser 4's footsteps.

That said, you cannot go wrong with the Byron. In hindsight, with gun to my head, I woulda gone with a flare-tipped shaft/hosel configuration that you see in the current Rincon iteration of the shaft-over design, but I got mine a few years back. Topline will be a good bit thicker than that of the Anser 4, and the thicker face will help it feel more solid--especially on putts under 10 feet. The Byron sound slot (viber-something or other) is the only one I've ever liked in a putter--doesn't make the putter sound tinny or too high-pitched at all...again, in my opinion. And Byron is definitely one of the class guys in the biz. :rolleyes:

And just for the sake of show, here's a couple pics of mine:

ByronMorgan.jpg

custombyronsole.jpg

custombyronaddress.jpg

:hi:

Another vote for TP Mills. The 1310 series coming out soon is worth a look at.

Bill

Srixon ZX5 LS 9.5* Hzrdus Gen 4 Black S

Sim 2 Titanium 15* Kura Kage Silver TiNi S 
Sim 2 Titanium 18* Kura Kage Silver Tini S
Srixon ZX 22* Graphite Design AD DI 75 S
Srixon ZX5 MkII, 5-6, C-Taper Lite S

Srixon ZX7 MkII, 7-PW, C-Taper Lite S
Cleveland RTX6 "Raw Tour Rack" 48*, 54*, 58* Dynamic Gold S400
Odyssey Eleven Tour Lined CS
Hdcp 2.1

Srixon Staff Member