Switching to cross-handed

AcesAZ

How long before you were comfortable?
We'll I finally came to the realization that I need to switch to cross-handed putting. I've been playing the game for 20 years and have putted normal during that entire span. My problem isn't on the practice green. I putt great when I can hit one after another and the pressure is low. During a round though I will tend to break down my wrists through impact and pull putts. More so under big time pressure. Cross-handed is a great cure to help prevent the break down of the wrists.

So, I'd like to hear some stories from people switching from normal to cross-handed-

How long before you were comfortable?

Do you see an advantage?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never! I've tried it a few times and just can not get the hang of it. It's great on short putts but anything over 15' and I have no distance control what so ever. Actually it's horrible! My cure to the same problem you have was to go to a mid size grip. This took out a lot of the handsy moves and I finally got the feel for longer distances.

Left hand low felt about as natural to me as putting blind folded. I might even be better blind folded. Your mileage may vary and it's certainly worth a try.

i switched about 2 months ago and it felt completely normal after 3-4 weeks. For me I needed to play the ball more fwd in my stance to get the putts on my intended line. My distance control was poor with long putts for about a month, but now it's very good. The best thing for me with left-hand low is I release the putter. Additionally no matter how crooked my takeaway was, the putter always seemed to square up at impact. My takeaway has become much smoother since going to cross hand. Mentally, I stopped thinking about not making those 5-12 footers and started thinking; just make a solid stroke. So the pressure par putts or the makeable birdie putts started going in. One more very important thing it does for me is I hit the ball on the center or sweetspot of my putter much more often than I did w/traditional putting grip. My putts just seem to roll smoother and have good pace, therefore they hold the line...I'm a 2 handicap not that it matters because I had the same issue,,,making the pressure putts...you will fight the urge of abonding it in the first few rounds, just commit to it for a few weeks and see what happens...good luck

I started putting left-hand-low after about a month (I just started playing golf this year). When I originally putted, I used a ten-finger grip with my right index finger extended. I switched to a cross-handed grip that is an extension of that previous grip - I do not over lap any of my fingers and have my right index finger extended along the side of the grip with my left hand low. I put my thumbs along the flat front of the grip with my palms on the sides of the grip and the grip high in the lifelines of my hands so that the putter is an extension of my forearm angles.

It took me about one full day (like one 5-hour straight putting session) on the practice green to ingrain the new grip. At first my distance control suffered but I have gradually refined the grip and stroke to where I am very comfortable. At the time that I switched, my back was hurt and I could not swing a club; So I spent a lot of time practicing. Once I switched I never went back. I recently tried a standard double overlap grip and just thought it was terrible. I will likely putt left hand low for a long time unless I can find something better. I think my grip is pretty stable.... I just need to keep practicing! :good:

Ping G400 MAX 9° Motore Speeder 757 Evolution Tour Spec S

Mizuno ST-3 15° 3W Ventus Blue Velocore 70S

Tour Edge Exotics EXS Pro 19° 3H HZRDUS Smoke Black 80X
                                                  PXG 0211 XCOR2 Xtreme Dark 5-GW Mitsubishi MMT 80S
Edison 55°/59° DG 115 S200 Tour Issue
Edel EAS 4.0
Camino Sunday Bag
Titleist ProV1

i switched about 2 months ago and it felt completely normal after 3-4 weeks. For me I needed to play the ball more fwd in my stance to get the putts on my intended line. My distance control was poor with long putts for about a month, but now it's very good. The best thing for me with left-hand low is I release the putter. Additionally no matter how crooked my takeaway was, the putter always seemed to square up at impact. My takeaway has become much smoother since going to cross hand. Mentally, I stopped thinking about not making those 5-12 footers and started thinking; just make a solid stroke. So the pressure par putts or the makeable birdie putts started going in. One more very important thing it does for me is I hit the ball on the center or sweetspot of my putter much more often than I did w/traditional putting grip. My putts just seem to roll smoother and have good pace, therefore they hold the line...I'm a 2 handicap not that it matters because I had the same issue,,,making the pressure putts...you will fight the urge of abonding it in the first few rounds, just commit to it for a few weeks and see what happens...good luck

This is what I like to hear. In the past I have tried it just for a couple putts but couldn't ever get comfortable. I've always had the idea that I can make putting normal work. Well it just is not consistent enough for me. I was messing with cross-handed today on the practice green and can agree with everything you said, even with limited practice. My stroke is much smoother, with better tempo and I also hit the ball more solid. It seems the miss is right with cross versus a pull with normal. It makes sense to me that you said you need to move the ball up a bit. With normal I always had to try and keep the ball back to keep from pulling it. Anyways I'm commiting to it for the next 6 months.

Also to the previous poster- I do already have a larger grip. Iomic midsized. Yes it helps quite a bit but it's still not enough. Thought about going jumbo like the superstroke but cross handed to me seems like a better option. I keep thinking about how Padraig switched as soon as he turned pro and he was pure $$$$ in the majors with it. I also remember Jack Nicklaus saying if he could have changed one thing in his golfing career he said he would have started out putting cross-handed.

Anyone else?

I got used to it in a few days. I think part of that is the fact it feels just as comfortable for me to putt lefty as it does from the right. I've never really seen an obvious improvement from it (I think part of that is it's all I use anymore, my game has changed so much since I started using it is hard to compare, I do feel more comfortable putting cross handed now though) I've just been doing it so long that I don't see any reason to change it.

You will get used to it soon enough though if you keep at it. It's really not a huge change, I went through the same thing when I went to an interlocking finger grip, it just takes some time and pretty soon it will become ingrained in your head. Now I really don't even think about it all, it's just natural for me now.

I just went to the cross-handed grip after Padraig won the PGA. I have been struggling this year. I have changed from blade to mallet putters, short to long. Hard to say how long it has taken to get use to 5-6 rounds maybe. I make sure I use that grip and dont switch back to the traditional grip.

The most awkward think I found was getting comfortable with the right hand at the top, trying see what felt better gripping with 4 fingers or just the 3rd - 5th and having index finger pointing down.

My putting has improved. Less 3 putting and 3-5 foots more consistent. Lag putt is good although I feel I am still am not overly comfortable with distance control and feel with the X handed grip on longer putts.

As my putting has improved do I mess with my putter grip? I was wanting to get an oversized grip like the tiger shark grip to see if it was more comfortable?

When you have gimme to tap in, do you go back to the regular grip or tap it in with the X hands?

Maybe next year I will be using the claw grip?!?

Vijay, Furyk, Harrington, ... cant think of others using it...

Went Left Hand Low about 12 years ago and never looked back. I have always putted with an open stance and I believe stance is very important also. I keep my left foot square to the target with the left toe pointing at ball, but I **** my right foot in so that it is actually open to the target at a 45* angle, right toe pointing at ball. That stance really locks me in.

Now for the grip, I am convinced Left Hand Low is a much better way to putt because you release the putter head better and it is just far easier to start the putt on the intended line. It may take a few weeks to get your distance control down but its well worth the effort. You will notice that your shoulders stay on a more level plane with the Left Hand Low overlap grip. (I overlap just the left pinky with my right index finger).

In the past year I made one additonal modification to my left hand low stroke which makes it feel even smoother. To try it, begin by placing both thumbs down the shaft as in a conventional LHL with overlap grip but then swivel the (upper) right thumb to the left, (toward the hole), so it rests behind the left wrist in the groove just below the wrist bone, making contact with the upper back of the left hand. This small change helps helps remove the urge to "hit" with the right hand at impact, (a very common problem if you have ever suffered the dreaded yips). With the right thumb behind and "bracing" the left hand/wrist there will no longer be any fear of left wrist breakdown so your confidence with your stroke improves immediately..

For me, removing the right thumb from running down the shaft also smoothed out the takeaway for me so it feels much more controlled and stable. (I now take it back on the same plane every time). Taking the right thumb off the shaft is only a slight tweak to the traditional left hand low overlap grip but I think it makes a huge difference. I encourge you to try both the LHL overlap grip, and my little "tweak" described above.

:good:

[b]What's in Bobcat's Bag? (Showing more than 14 clubs due to options)[/b]

Driver: TM 2015 9.5* SLDR-C - 45.5" Miyazaki Kusala Black 61s (tipped 1/2")
Fairway: TM Tour-iussue V-Steel 15* 3W - 43.25" Fujikura 757 Speeder Stiff
Hybrid Fairway: TM Rescue Fairway 15* '3-Strong'- 42.75" Fujikura VP-90 Stiff
Hybrids: TM Rescue-Mid TP's 19*(3H) & 22*(4H) - Fujikura Vista Pro 90 Stiff
Driving Irons: TM TP UDI's 16* (#1) & 20* (#3) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff Shafts
Irons: TM 2015 SLDR Irons (5-8i only) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff Flex Steel
Hybrid Wedges: Cleveland 2011 Niblicks - 42*PW /49*DW / 56*SW - Stock Steel
Wedge: 2011 Cleveland CG-16 Black Pearl 58*/8* (SW/LW) - Stock Steel Shaft
Putter: Bettinardi BBX-81 Blade - 35" Bettinardi Stock Steel Putter Shaft

I switched about 4 or 5 years ago...for shorter putts i felt comfortable within the first round...for longer putts it took about 6 rounds before I became dialed in.

For those that argue a cross handed grip leads to poor performance on long putts...they must have not sticked with it...or only tried a few putts on a whim....

My game is decent overall but there is only one area i exceed others in......that is long lag putts...so if i stand out in only one way with people constantly complimenting me on how close i come...even on 50 ft putts...and i exclusively use cross hand grip.......then anyone can become a good putter this way.....way more short putts made is the main benefit...just do not peek at hole and swing thru....it works! Stick with it!!!!!

When I shifted from traditional grip to left-hand-low (LHL), after a week of acclimatization my putting improved. Most especially my lag putting. I have been able to hole 30-40 footers when my game is "on" (good read & good speed control of greens). With traditional, my right shoulder dipped a bit. With LHL my shoulders are more level and its easier to make a pendulum stroke. Also, hitting the sweet spot of the putter was much easier to my eye with LHL. I have infected my golf buddies with the grip and that sort of gets me cause they are copy-cats who are now benefiting from my supposed putting advantage. :good:

Just do it...Its a better way to putt!..... :good:

[b]What's in Bobcat's Bag? (Showing more than 14 clubs due to options)[/b]

Driver: TM 2015 9.5* SLDR-C - 45.5" Miyazaki Kusala Black 61s (tipped 1/2")
Fairway: TM Tour-iussue V-Steel 15* 3W - 43.25" Fujikura 757 Speeder Stiff
Hybrid Fairway: TM Rescue Fairway 15* '3-Strong'- 42.75" Fujikura VP-90 Stiff
Hybrids: TM Rescue-Mid TP's 19*(3H) & 22*(4H) - Fujikura Vista Pro 90 Stiff
Driving Irons: TM TP UDI's 16* (#1) & 20* (#3) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff Shafts
Irons: TM 2015 SLDR Irons (5-8i only) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff Flex Steel
Hybrid Wedges: Cleveland 2011 Niblicks - 42*PW /49*DW / 56*SW - Stock Steel
Wedge: 2011 Cleveland CG-16 Black Pearl 58*/8* (SW/LW) - Stock Steel Shaft
Putter: Bettinardi BBX-81 Blade - 35" Bettinardi Stock Steel Putter Shaft

LHL saved my year. i just decided to do it on the practice green before a round and never looked back. i expect to make everything within 15 feet and havent thought about my wrists at all. for longer putts, or putts where speed is absolutely crucial, i'll switch back to regular, no problem. i have no problem switching back and forth depending on which feels more comfortable. the longer i do crosshanded, the more and more comfortable it feels on longer putts. i never found it hard or uncomfortable in the beginning. it always just kinda made sense and worked right away.

Made the switch about 2 months ago also. Given that my putting on both long and short putts improved immediately, it didn't take long (about 5 minutes) to feel comfortable with the change and I haven't looked back since. Can definitely get the ball started on the chosen line better, control the speed better and get a much more solid strike on the ball.

About 3-4 weeks after switching though, I started having some difficulty in getting the solid strike and controlling the speed. I discovered that my top right hand had turned to the right and my low left had had turned to the left. I corrected that by: 1.getting my right thumb directly running down the shaft, the putter in the right hand lifeline and the right index finger overlapping straight down the shaft and left fingers and 2.)turning the left hand a little to the right so the left hand life line sat right on top of the last knuckle of the right hand middle finger. I guess what I am saying is, if it starts to go bad within a short time, check your grip closly before giving up on it. All the benefits came back immediately after I fixed the grip.

Good luck.

For reference 6 hdcp

I am surprised by the comments of poor distance control. I have been using cross handed on and off for a few weeks and find that my distance control is miles better due to the lack of wrist action. Also much easier to start the ball where i want it to go. All in all cross ahnd is defintely the way to go if you struggle. Might takes a few weeks to get used to using it competatively when the pressure is on though.

When my putting goes sour, I typically will play a couple rounds putting a variation of LHL that helps me get my body and shoulders better aligned to the hole. This sounds goofy, but seriously, try putting LHL with a Claw grip on your left hand, instead of placing the putter grip in your left palm. There is absolutely no way to break your wrists and eject in your follow-thru. I haven't grown the berries to continually putt like this, but when I do, I definitely score better.

When my putting goes sour, I typically will play a couple rounds putting a variation of LHL that helps me get my body and shoulders better aligned to the hole. This sounds goofy, but seriously, try putting LHL with a Claw grip on your left hand, instead of placing the putter grip in your left palm. There is absolutely no way to break your wrists and eject in your follow-thru. I haven't grown the berries to continually putt like this, but when I do, I definitely score better.

I actually tried it and yes their was no way to break down but I felt like I lacked feel for speed. Anyways things have been going will with LHL. Haven't played a full round yet. Looking for tomorrow.

I switched to cross handed 2 weeks ago, i was missing too many SHORT putts left.

2 weeks ago i was going through my explorer bookmarks, and came across this bookmarked article..

http://ezinearticles.com/?How-To-Putt-Cros...)&id=544238

I switched that same night, started practicing in the living room...

The first week, i only used it within 5 feet, now i'm using it exclusively for most distances. For +25 footers, i may switch to conventional, cross handed hasn't been calibrated for long putts yet...work in progress.

I'm much more confident over 5 footers now. When i miss left, its because thats where i was aiming.

Good luck.

After a few rounds and alot of practice I figured I'd give an update. I'm using LHL with a modified claw with the left hand. Putting is going really well! I'm lagging way better. I use to worry about a 50 footers becasue I would jerk it off line by 5-6 feet. I'm stroking putts Solid and On Line. I'm actually holing 20-30 footers now. It's unreal! I'm still not fully dialed yet and not fully comfortable but I am for sure sticking to this! One other thing I noticed was that I have to read putts a little different, with more break. Before I could much more easily pull or push a putt to compensate for break. Now I have to make sure I'm set up on line because where I set up is where the balls going. Short putts are no longer pulled, if anything I may push it but LHL is more consistent. I still need to work a bit more on speed, I've been leaving putts a tad short or just a tad long. I'm sure that will come with time also.

LHL Rocks!!!!!!!!! :clapping: