Cobra King LTD pro cb/mb irons

Comments

• kaaayelllkaaayelll Members Posts: 802 ✭✭
    Please do report back!
  • moonshinemoonshine 64 @ Augusta? No problem! North Charleston, SCClubWRX Posts: 6,349 ✭✭
    Is it even possible to be fit outside by a real Cobra rep on trackman...or am just being funny?
    "We have learned that we must
    live as men, not as ostriches, nor
    as dogs in the manger." FDR
  • LobberLobber Members Posts: 2,379 ✭✭
    tsur1 wrote:

Liking mine a lot!
  • UTace10UTace10 Members Posts: 202 ✭✭
    So I swapped out the c tapers with just normal kbs tours, and I'm now hitting the ball WAY higher than I ever have before. Loving these so far.
  • Can anyone compare these to the Cobra S3 pro's? Worth the switch?
    Cobra L4V 9 Degree (Old Faithful)
    Callaway X2 Hot 15 Degree w/ Diamana Blueboard
    Ping I3 4-PW
    Titleist Vokey SM5 Wedges 54, 58. SM6 50
    Ping Milled Anser #5
    All in a Sun Mountain C-130S
  • LoveSick666LoveSick666 Members Posts: 965
    Personally i think they are worth the switch. I've had 2 rounds with them and cannot believe how easy the cb long irons are to hit considering how small the heads are. I came from Mizuno 850 forged and didn't even get the 4 iron for that set cause i didn't hit my buddy's with any consistency when i tried his a bunch of times. But for whatever reason, i can hit the Cobra King cb 4 iron with no issues. Even ordered the 2 iron to mess around with! In the process of changing out some of the paint fill and may change from the c-tapers to kbs tour custom black pearl shafts but that will have to wait until after X-Mas.
  • tsur1tsur1 Members Posts: 556 ✭✭
    Great clubs, but so disappointed, because they are too player for me. The 7-GW MBs are too much for me (3 handicap, rely on length and short game). They look sooo good at address, I want to love them so bad...

Shot a decent round, but just scrambled the whole day because I wasn't hitting it solid... And I know I'm not a great ball striker, and I was intimidated of missing... So more my problem than the clubs... Hit two great shots, with the 5 iron and 9 iron, and oh my, if I could hit it on the face consistently the size of a nickel, I would be in love...They will be on the BST tomorrow, someone will get a DEAL, I just talked with DD and they are on back order until mid January...
    Cobra F9, Fuji Speeder 757X
    Cobra King LTD 3wd, Speeder 8.2X
    Cobra Fly Z Hybrid Speeder 9.8X
    Mizuno 900 Hot Metal 4-5, 900 Forged 6-GW X100
    Mizuno S18 Gunmetal 56* and 60
    Taylormade Spider Black DJ 34"
    Tsur...did you go full mb heads? Of so try the cb's. Message me with what you want for them. Lol i might be interested in a backup set. Probably just heads though preferably.
  • RedsReds Members Posts: 584
    Seen these at the proshop today. Wow are they ****. Wish I had the game for these.
  • tyrotyro Members Posts: 2,604 ✭✭
    tsur1 wrote:

Great clubs, but so disappointed, because they are too player for me. The 7-GW MBs are too much for me (3 handicap, rely on length and short game). They look sooo good at address, I want to love them so bad...

Shot a decent round, but just scrambled the whole day because I wasn't hitting it solid... And I know I'm not a great ball striker, and I was intimidated of missing... So more my problem than the clubs... Hit two great shots, with the 5 iron and 9 iron, and oh my, if I could hit it on the face consistently the size of a nickel, I would be in love...They will be on the BST tomorrow, someone will get a DEAL, I just talked with DD and they are on back order until mid January...

****! I hate it when that happens. I've been there and done that.

Maybe try the Forged Tec irons? The Youtube reviews (from what you can tell) sound promising.
  • bluejeeprubibluejeeprubi Members Posts: 1,031 ✭✭
    kaaayelll wrote:
    Just got a message that my MB set won't be in for about 5 weeks due to a head shortage. And here I was getting excited to take advantage of the upcoming stretch of decent weather. I guess these will see play next year. �

Well since you can't use them for a bit go ahead and sell them to me now since I'm in Fl
    G400 lst digital loft at 9 playing at 8
    G400 3w. Xtorsion Black 80tx
    G400 5w. Ad-di 8x
    20 and 24 ft worth hi
    5-pw Miura BB with x100 ti
    60 mack daddy forged
    Nike 006 proto
  • Hey lovesick what are your plans as far as changing the paint fill? Are the king's anymore difficult than the S3's pros? My S3 pro set now is 5-6 are cb and the 7-PW are mb's and I have no trouble with them. Thinking of going to a full CB set just for the days when I get a little lazy in my swing. Pairing them with the right shaft is everything, at least it was for me and the S3's. I got them with the DGs300 and struggled to hit them, changed out the shafts and we have had a very loving relationship ever since.
    Ping I3 4-PW
    Ping Milled Anser #5
  • Techgolfer1Techgolfer1 Posts: 1,534
    luckylefty wrote:
    Hey lovesick what are your plans as far as changing the paint fill? Are the king's anymore difficult than the S3's pros? My S3 pro set now is 5-6 are cb and the 7-PW are mb's and I have no trouble with them. Thinking of going to a full CB set just for the days when I get a little lazy in my swing. Pairing them with the right shaft is everything, at least it was for me and the S3's. I got them with the DGs300 and struggled to hit them, changed out the shafts and we have had a very loving relationship ever since.

I've gotta think they're a little easier to hit than the s3 irons. I was missing some the other day when I spent over an hour hitting them in the simulator and was impressed with how well my misses were turning out compared to the solid shots.
    I change too much to list it. Working on that...
  • ei19ei19 Posts: 87 ✭✭
    I saw them today at the PGA SS and the are nice looking. Didn't hit them though.
    They are easier or more forgiving then the S3's imo. Go with whatever set up you are comfortable with. I prefer the cb's in the long irons but i could have gone with them for a whole set and not been upset about it.

Maybe it was just my experience, but removing the orange paint fill was a b*tch! Lol was using acetone and it wasn't doing anything really. I had to sit there with a small razor knife and basically scrape it out. Then i noticed when i put in lime green that any excess i was wiping off was leaving a slight stain on the black finish. Had to fix that with some 0000 steel wool because again acetone wasn't cutting it. I usually use Jasco to remove paint from whole putter heads or woods, but was afraid it would affect the finish on the irons. Definitely the hardest paint fill job I've done.
    They are easier or more forgiving then the S3's imo. Go with whatever set up you are comfortable with. I prefer the cb's in the long irons but i could have gone with them for a whole set and not been upset about it.

Maybe it was just my experience, but removing the orange paint fill was a b*tch! Lol was using acetone and it wasn't doing anything really. I had to sit there with a small razor knife and basically scrape it out. Then i noticed when i put in lime green that any excess i was wiping off was leaving a slight stain on the black finish. Had to fix that with some 0000 steel wool because again acetone wasn't cutting it. I usually use Jasco to remove paint from whole putter heads or woods, but was afraid it would affect the finish on the irons. Definitely the hardest paint fill job I've done.

Haha! Wow! That's a lot of work.
  • FairwayFredFairwayFred Sponsors Posts: 3,980 ✭✭
    Can someone post some pics at address? Especially of the MBs?

How do they compare at address, shape, offset etc to the Bio Cell Pro and Fly Z Pro MB?
    FREE AGENT CLUB HO NO MO!
    Ari Techner
    National Custom Works nationalcustomworks.com
    [email protected]
    IG: @nationalcustom
    Twitter: @WorksNational
    (still a huge club HO)

How do they compare at address, shape, offset etc to the Bio Cell Pro and Fly Z Pro MB?

They're as tiny and square looking as any I've seen.
  • We need to see some pics of the paint fill job! Come on now.
    Ping I3 4-PW
    Ping Milled Anser #5
  • GolfingfanaticGolfingfanatic Members Posts: 3,020 ✭✭
    Will be interesting to see them after a couple months of usage. They sure do look nice, though.
    Callaway Gbb Epic Forged 9.5°
    TM M2 DF 16.5° 
    Honma TW737 FWc 21° 
    TM RSI UDI 3 
    TM 2011 MC Onset 4-PW
    Cobra King Pur 54°/ Vokey Proto 60°
    TW Ardmore

7i and PW
  • PGizzlePGizzle Members Posts: 19
    Nice carpet George Jetson
    I've gotta say no picture I've seen does these things any justice as to how they look in person. I love the titleist mb irons as well and the mb version of the Kings are as smaller or smaller.
    PGizzle wrote:

Nice carpet George Jetson
    Hahaha! I'll tell the folks at PGASS that you like it.
    I'll try and get some pics up once I'm done with the paintfill. I really wanted to put the black kbs tour shafts in but got my 2 iron today with that shaft and was surprised that it flew so low. Irons actually felt better to me with the c-tapers. Lol so at least i saved myself some money by not switching out shafts now.
    Has anyone weighed these heads? My order hasn't come in yet and I'm considering changing my shaft selection. Before deciding, I'd ideally like to compare them to other sets I have.
  • MBBGMBBG Members Posts: 1,447 ✭✭
    edited Dec 22, 2015 #58
    Well K just have cobra put extra tungsten plugs in them like Rickie's. 😁🍻
    2016 TM TI M2 with Rogue 125 60 TS
    Ping G400 3W with stock Alta S
    RomaRo Type R 18* with Nunchuk .370
    Srixon U45 23* with Aerotech i95 S
    2013 ONOFF Forged with Modus 125 S
    Vokey Cold Forged 51/56*, PM Grind 60* Modus 125 Wedge
    Odyssey Works SaberTooth
    Tartan Ogio Recoil stand bag
  • Tcann32Tcann32 Members Posts: 3,527
    luckylefty wrote:

We need to see some pics of the paint fill job! Come on now.

I'm in the danger zone with them for paint right now.. I don't necessarily wanna do anything, but it's winter time and I am just staring at them currently, and the part of me that want's to tinker is kicking in.. There's so many possibilities with the black.
    What's actually in the bag...
    Callaway Epic SZ-9.0-Aldila X-Torsion Green Mamba-70TX
    Callaway Epic SZ 15* - PX Handcrafted Yellow 75 6.5
    Callaway Apex UT 21* - C- taper S+
    Miura LH LTD Black Blades: 3-p w/ DG TI X7's.
    Cleveland RTX 3: 50-54 w. C-Taper S+
    Scratch 1018: 58 w/ C-Taper S+
    Piretti Potenza / Odyssey MX #7

Others gamed on occasion:
    Callaway BBA (2014)
    Callaway 13 X Forged w/ AMT X100's (hard stepped once)
    Scratch Golf 51,55,58,59
    Wilson Staff Kirk Currie Milled
  • I really want to see what these look like with the chrome finish they'll supposedly offer soon. The black is just awesome looking in a golf bag but I'm curious as to how long it will stay like that.
  • Tcann32Tcann32 Members Posts: 3,527
    Just got my set in last week. Unfortunately won't be able to play them till I head to AL for a few days in Feb, but will be doing some numbers testing very soon, outside of hitting them at the golf shop.

After the 30 min I spent hitting through the set when I got them, I have a little input but not much.

1). I love the look of them. That's the entire reason I ordered them since no where had anything to demo for lefties, I just decided to bite the bullet.

2). They feel good. I think they feel more solid than my Apex Pro's, which is probably due to the fact they are an MB and this was my first time hitting any sort of MB. A flushed shot feels like magic, but the nice part was that mis-hits weren't painfully punishing. I don't mean that in the sense of forgiveness, but I caught a few shots very thin and honestly, the sensation was easier to deal with than it was with my Apex Pro's even. That being said, you definitely know when you mishit one as well.

3.) They seem to spin a good bit more than my prior, above mentioned set. I don't have an issue spinning the ball, but was surprised to see that I still got right around 6500 rpm on a couple shots that I caught slightly behind the ball (using a 7i), and the launch was still pretty dang good. That being said, it does worry me to some aspect that I will be getting a little too much spin/height. When I gave it a little extra with my old set which were shafted with TI X100's, I could definitely get a little too much height, and while the C-tapers are definitely lower launching shafts, I think the grooves in the heads on these offer quite a bit more bite than the AP pros as their grove design was there to do the opposite that I'm aware of.

4). I haven't played C-tapers before. I decided to go in a stiff flex with them and can definitely see myself hard-stepping them in the future but we will see. According to the fitter I shouldn't really notice the difference between the 120g ctapers and the 130g of the x100's, and that it shouldn't affect my performance, but I also went with midsize grips, and I do notice the difference. Getting used to new heads, shafts, and a new grip size is leaving a lot to be decided for different aspects of the club build, but all that aside, the heads look, feel, and perform very nicely. They're a long ways off from being as forgiving as other club models, and that should be obvious, but slight miss hits weren't robbing me of 15 yards or anything of that nature. I found that a mis-hit towards the heel is punished very little, if at all, but moving out towards the toe is where I lost the yardage.

The day I picked up my clubs was a blessing and a curse. I wasn't aware they would be coming in and was still in jeans and work boots when I went to get them and was alerted that I could hit them. While I wasn't in the most comfortable golfing attire, standing higher than usual in work boots, and had walked several miles on the site of the project I am working on, I was a bit worn out, and my swing was just not really all there that day. This gave me a preview off what an off day with them will be like, and it alerted me that I will be able to manage with them. I didn't find them to be any more difficult to hit than the ap pro's really. The swing is in slight hibernation so I am admittedly lacking a bit of speed currently, but I certainly can't find any reason that they won't perform just as well, or subjectively better. If my ball flight is lower with the shorter iron's, I'll be a happy guy.

I will be spending some time with a track man tomorrow for an hour or two. I will do my best to get loose tonight and do what I can to bring a decent swing with me and hopefully be able to give some good numbers and comparisons for everyone. All I have to compare them to is my std distances with my old set for everyone, but it's enough for a high level overview.
    What's actually in the bag...
    Callaway Epic SZ-9.0-Aldila X-Torsion Green Mamba-70TX
    Callaway Epic SZ 15* - PX Handcrafted Yellow 75 6.5
    Callaway Apex UT 21* - C- taper S+
    Miura LH LTD Black Blades: 3-p w/ DG TI X7's.
    Cleveland RTX 3: 50-54 w. C-Taper S+
    Scratch 1018: 58 w/ C-Taper S+
    Piretti Potenza / Odyssey MX #7

Others gamed on occasion:
    Callaway BBA (2014)
    Callaway 13 X Forged w/ AMT X100's (hard stepped once)
    Scratch Golf 51,55,58,59
    Wilson Staff Kirk Currie Milled