2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Machine Demo Putter Reviews

choeppner

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Moved from Previous Thread

I just sent the putter out today and didn't want to let it go. I really like the way this putter rolled the ball,the face milling seemed to make the ball hold it's line very well. I installed the fatback flange to play my last three rounds and really like the way it looks. The fit and finish were excellent and Chris(choeppner) was a cool to deal with. I would highly recommend getting a Machine to anyone looking right now. Thanks Todd

Moved from Previous Thread

Really enjoyed the Machine putter. My SS came with the standard, fatback and tongue flange and an assortment of weights. Mostly I used it with the fatback. It is easy to swap them out, just two screws. Careful taking out the weights, I broke one of the little prongs on the toolbit and a replacement was quickly shipped and received. I did not feel like I was using excessive force, it just snapped off, so easy does it!

I'm not great at putting feel into words. All I can say is the Fatback config looked good at address, set up well and was solid feeling during the stroke. I really don't know what the headweight is, but it was hefty. The putter put a very nice roll on the ball and had a softish feel at impact, not a hard click. I liked the impact feel and sound very much. The unique "Reverse Arch" grip, which has a slight curve in the opposite direction of your standard grip worked for me. Not sure who makes this grip, it reminded me a little of an Iomic in feel, but with the shape of a GP Dual Durometer.

Craftsmanship and milling is first rate, this is a quality product. I love all the options to mix and match materials and finishes, but it makes it hard to make a final decision. Machine putters are a little out of my comfort zone price wise, but that probably won't stop me.

Thanks Chris and all involved who made this possible.

Ford

Moved From Previous Thread

I received the tool yesterday, thanks so much that was some response! My knock on the grip was the feel, but after my rounds this weekend I can certainly say it didn't effect performance in the least. This putter puts an excellent roll on the ball (Face milling certainly enhances this), and I haven't had a day on the greens like this weekend in a while. I didn't three put once this weekend, dropped 2 bombs in over 30 feet, and was pretty much money 8 feet and in. Had only one issue with a wicked lag putt (shouldn't have put it on that part of the green anyways), but soon figured out the proper feel. What a great putter, I can't wait to configure the weights on this one and try and improve its performance. I'm quite impressed!

Thanks again.

-Peter"

Moved From Previous Thread

Mine arrived Wednesday and when I opened the box I just about fainted. It's gorgeous! My wife even commented on the face milling and overall quality and for her to take any interest at all in a golf club is a very big deal!

I've tried just about every combination of backs at least three times and can not decide which I like the most. Only used is on the Boomerang in the basement so far but plan on getting it on a real green tomorrow weather permiting.

Oh, and for those interested in weight combinations, I've had this one all the way from a D6 to an F1 swing weight. I am keeping lots of notes and will try to post some pictues and a review in a few days if I can lay it down long enough.

Chris, thanks again for puting this program together and let me know who the lucky person is that I am to send it to when I'm finished in about a month. Just kidding!

Moved from prior thread

I was very excited to take part in this demo program, having spent countless hours drooling over the Art and Prototypes from about a year ago. Thanks to Machine- Chris, Doug, Dave- for the opportunity.

Quick context on the reviewer. I play (statistically) off a 1.2 GHIN. My stroke is solid, and a gate stroke. I game a Scotty Circle T Newport Beach 1.5 neck, 350 grams, 1 degree flat at 34 inches. Love this putter, although I fear for theft every time I game it or play away.

I got the Machine M2A Converter in a neatly packed Fed Ex box. The first thing that I did was to I pull out the sheet that has all of the components listed- fat back, blade back, and tongue back, and all of the weights / screws. Before touching a thing, I got a calculator. The end game was to come up with 3 or so different versions of a 350-365 gram head using the pieces. I got the calculator and came up with the following combinations (and reviewed each one)

__Combo 1: Standard Blade Set Up__

Head (247)+ Neck (42) + Blade Back (44) + 2 ¾ Tungsten weights (15) + 2 ¾ Steel (7) = 355 grams

__Combo 2: Fat Back__

Head (247) + Neck + (42)+ Fat Back (89) = 378 grams

__Combo 3: Tongue Back__

Head (247) + Neck (42) + Tongue Back (70) + 2 ¾ Steel (7) = 366 grams

*Craftmanship:

The look of the Machine is of.. well.. a Machine. The pieces are incredibly well made and the finishes, curves, etc are extremely high quality. Paint fill looks great and the milling is pristine. When you put the pieces in their places, everything “lines up” which to me shows that the tolerances are very tight. The finishes match perfectly, and the putter is very much serious business.

In addition to the putter itself, the accessory bags / tools / head cover are first class. AME made, cool logos, and reasonable sizes given what is in them. I would suggest going with the smaller assembly tool rather than the long one as it is easier to use and hold in the bags.

*Feel and Performance:

Before I review the combos, let me talk a little about the VMG grooves. As I said, my gamer is a Scotty Cameron Circle T 1.5 Newport Beach. It has milling marks on the front, but the Machine has MILLING MARKS. They do not look or feel like the C Groove on a YES putter but feel far more functional that those or something like the AGSI inserts. I felt that a major portion of the roll performance that I got from the various combos was attributable to the VMG milling- not just cool looking, but seemed to promote better over spin and roll.

*Assembly:

With some planning, assembly is a no brainer. You just need to know what you are trying to build. This is not a set of Legos, but a finely crafted set of pieces that when put together can do some cool stuff. If you rush it, you will get frustrated. After having Machine send me a new 2 prong bit (the one I got was broken), I proceeded to break the new one in about 5 minutes when I over-torqued a weight.

__Reviews:

When doing the review of each combo, I looked at three things:

1. Looks- how the combo suited my eye

2. “Dead Center” Feel- striking a putt dead center in the sweet spot, both short and long

3. “Off Center” Feel- striking a putt off the toe to deaden the putt (e.g. as might be used for slick down hill putt)

__Combo 1: Standard Blade__

Intuitively, I thought that this would be my “go to” set up as it was the most similar to what I game.

Looks: 9/10

Set up is clean, putter looks like it was built this way, not assembled this way. Pulls off the Anser look but adds some cleaner lines to the tried and true formula.

Dead Center Feel: 9/10

The rolls that I put on this putter are fantastic. Seem to grab and roll with little to no hop off the face. Contact is crispy soft- not “clicky” like an Odyssey Black Series / Cameron Studio but not mushy like some insert putters. It was very close to my Circle T and the end over end roll was very impressive. No change in performance for short or long putts- all rock solid.

Off Center Feel: 10/10

The putter allowed me to “take something off of it” when I needed to in order to moderate speed. It still felt steady and responsive.

Overall Combo: 28/30

__Combo 2: Fat Back__

This putter plays almost exactly like Combo 1, with two notable exceptions. The larger flange inspired more visual confidence and the stroke felt smoother due to where the mass is positioned from the Fat Back.

Looks: 10/10

Set up is clean, putter looks like it was built this way, not assembled this way. Longer flange makes it look like a game improvement / High MOI putter without any of the crazy stuff. I could easily see myself using this attachment when I lost confidence in the standard blade.

Dead Center Feel: 9/10

Very similar to Combo 1 with the exception of the impression that the Fat Back promotes a feeling of rolling the weight over the ball, not into the ball. Roll was pure- although distance control was a little tougher on the long putts.

Off Center Feel: 8/10

I had a hard time “take something off of it” when I needed to. This was probably a function of all of the mass behind the ball across the entire face (it was also the heaviest combo). Then again, I could probably just stroke it lighter but that would require a technique change, not equipment.

Overall Combo: 27/30

__Combo 3: Tongue Back__

This putter is the best of both worlds- looks like a blade, but has the Tongue to give you the “2 Ball” effect. This one has Gamer potential.

Looks: 9/10

Set up is great- the diameter of the Tongue and the fact that the heel and the toe look like a classic Blade is a fantastic look. I could easily see myself using this attachment.

Dead Center Feel: 10/10

Very similar to Combo 2. Still a feeling of rolling the weight over the ball, not into the ball. Only difference is that the weight is more “controllable”. Roll was pure- no change in performance for short or long putts- all rock solid. Best feeling of all three for Dead Center hits.

Off Center Feel: 10/10

This combo gave me exactly what I got with the standard blade- I felt that the speed could be regulated by hitting it off the toe. Very well done.

Overall Combo: 29/30

__Overall “Overall’ Review:__

This is finely crafted set of putting tools that puts together some great combinations with patience.

When put together, it looks as if the pieces were meant for each other- and feel absolutely rock solid in virtually any combination. The Machine M2A Converter provides a unique option where you can get your “base” set- head shape, materials, neck- and then experiment from there- without having to buy another flat stick. Even when you go for some of the options- and Machine has some of the coolest like melted bumpers and hand peening, etc- the price comes no where close to what I paid for my Circle T. Machine does a great job at the complete package- Head, Neck, Attachments, and Accessories- which in my mind puts it in elite class of putter craftsmen (none of which currently provide this creative of a set up)

I am grateful to have participated in this Demo program- and even more excited to get to work on my order form for my new Machine. I plan to add one to the arsenal- and based on the early feedback, it has a real shot at being the gamer.

Go grab a beer or a cup of coffee as this is gonna take a while...........................

Where do I begin? The review by MacMia pretty much stole most of my thunder but I will give my 2 cents anyway. As I mentioned earlier, my first impression when I opened the box was that I was in for a treat, as I'm a nut and bolts kind of guy and love to see how things are engineered and built, and love the idea of being able to tweak something to your own personal tastes. Everything looked way more "high end" than I expected. (Scotty Cameron has nothing on these guys!) The AME embroidered leather pouches for the tools, extra backs and weights (I would suggest a zippered pouch instead of Velcro to hold all the little do dads though & also something to keep the various backs from banging together and possibly causing scratches or dings would be good), the big foam blocks protecting the shaft, the nice intro letter from the creator, David Billings in the clear plastic sheet protector and the very cool embroidered hats. (Thank you very much for throwing that little extra perk in). Once I got everything unpacked I immediately started weighing parts, due to me being a moron and not seeing that data already on the back side of David's letter. If nothing else, I confirmed that I had received the Sunset Beach version as I did not realize that some of the demos sent out were the solid head and some were the Sunset versions.

I was really drawn to the detail in the manufacturing of the putter from the awesome face milling to the precision fitment of the optional backs. Having been in the manufacturing business years ago I know how tough it is to get this kind of precision without costing a fortune. The guide pins on the back of the blade made installing any one of the three backs a piece of cake. The only issue I had with this was that there were two 1" and two ½" screws in the box and the fat back requires a ¾" at the neck location. Nothing a dremel tool and a deburing wheel couldn't fix though.

The tools that I got with the putter were top quality and it appears that I got the updated split head bit for the weights as I had no issues of breaking. I did need to run the provided tap through a couple of the holes on the fat back in fear of snapping something. They were really, really tight the first time I tried to install the weights. I also noticed that after swapping out the weights a few times, the aluminum ones go in and out almost too easy and could possibly work themselves loose over time. A little dab of blue Loc-Tite could easily fix that.

The first thing on the list was to see what the swing weights would be with the different backs and weights and I was able to get in all the way from a D6 to a husky F1 and by my calculations, you can end up with a major league 388 gram South Beach head if you throw everything in the bag at it or a whopping 400 gram solid head version. I also assume that you could get lower than a D6 by using a lighter material than stainless steel for the back options. The bead blasted finish although gorgeous, looked pretty delicate so I would probably opt for something a little more utilitarian on a gamer.

I need to point out that I normally play a face balanced 33" mallet head putter with an over sized grip and the demo is 35" and the closest I could get it to face balanced with the plumbers neck and weights was about 4:30. I know there are a number of options available to get one faced balanced though so that should not be a concern. The reverse arch grip did not fit me at all as I was choking down so much that the grip was way too small for me to feel like I had any control. (It's not the putter's fault that I have a handsy stroke) I think a lot of people will like this grip a lot but I can see mine coming with a Grip Master mid size stitch back model in red Ostrich. :rolleyes:

I practiced with the various options on my Boomerang trying to find the combination that felt the best before taking it to the course. I ended up with the lightest version using the standard blade back with no extra weights. It gave me the best control of distance which the Boomerang will exploit if you are off just a little bit. The heavier I made the head, the more I tended to over power putts inside 8', and on the course, it made long lag putts miserably short as I was afraid of hitting it too hard, although I'm sure one could get used to that after a few rounds. Today may have not been the best day to try it out in heavy weight mode on the course as I was way off on my approach shots and had no less that eight first putts of 25' or longer. Needless to say, I ended up with seven three putts and a horrific 83. (Again, not the putters fault!) My gut tells me that I would probably like one with a 350+/- head weight and a D2-D3 swing weight at 33". Not sure what combination that would take, but I have no doubt that they could make that happen. I really liked the look of the tongue back with the wave cut but it added too much weight for my taste. Maybe an over sized grip would offset that though.

The feel off the milled face is simply awesome! I tried soft ProV1's and so-so soft Srixon balls and both felt soft but still had plenty of feed back. Having played an insert putter for the last 10 years, I was surprised that it did not feel harsh and the ball did not jump off the face like other blade putters that I've tried. No skipping or bouncing of the ball what so ever and putts of 4' or less were almost automatic.

I was originally planning on getting a Sam Puttlab fitting with this and my regular gamer but I don't think it would be fair seeing that the demo really does not fit my specs at all. Now if I can talk Chris in to sending me a face balanced, thirty three incher to test drive, I will definitely get it on the Puttlab equipment, as I truly feel that a Machine putter could easily kick my gamer of a few years to the curb.

This has been an awesome and enlightening experience and I want to thank David and Chris for putting this program together. I doubt that I would have ever had the chance to test a club of this caliber, not to mention being able to do it at my leisure over a couple of weeks time. I've learned a lot about my putting stroke and how the different weights can drastically affect the results. Am I a better putter because of this? The 39 putts I took today indicates no, but I now have a much better feel for what will make me better.

I'm going to give the demo two more test drives this weekend in bantam weight & welter weight classes so please send me the shipping info for the next lucky guy in line so I can get it ready to go. Now all that's left is to figure out how I can convince my wife that a new Machine putter will solve all my problems and I will be able to spend more quality time with her instead of the practice green.

Sorry for the 1,323 word essay, but this thing deserves every syllable.

As promised, I gave the demo two more test drives yesterday and this morning trying the different weights that can be had by changing the backs and weights. I did find that I liked the middle weight combination the best on the semi fast greens that I normally play and would probably go with the blade back option if I order one.

This thing is a work of art and I got a lot of compliments on the looks and inquiries on how much one would be. Unfortunately, most of my playing buddies are tight wads and rarely spend more than $150 for any club in their bag. As I also mentioned the quality and attention to detail are second to none and anyone would be proud to own one. David needs to come up with a fitting cart like Edel Putters have so local custom club fitters can fit a player on site. I think that the Machine prices would be a bit more attractive than the Edel and the different finishes and head and back materials would be a big plus.

Once again, thank you Chris & David for letting me be a part of the program! I've learned a lot and now need to figure out a way to get one in my bag.

I've had the privilege of demoing a Machine putter this past week, and here are my thoughts.

Look:

Straight out of the box, it's a stunner. The pictures that Chris takes are really great, but it looks even better in person. Every person who saw it commented on the obvious craftsmanship and detail. The only negative thing I have to say about the appearance relates to its appearance at address. The hosel turns at a sharp angle downwards into the plumbers neck, whereas on my other putters that angle is rounded out. It's obviously a matter of personal preference, not an objective criticism, but I prefer the rounded look.

One other note about the appearance: if you have one of these, EVERYONE will comment on the milling. It looks fantastic.

Quality:

The quality in everything that Machine does is obvious. The AM&E bags that house the weights and attachments are high quality and show that Machine does not cut corners. The pieces all fit together well, and I had no problems with the tools whatsoever.

Adjustability:

As I said above, all of the weights and attachments (I had the standard flange and the Fatback) went together seamlessly. I decided pretty quickly that I didn't like the look or feel of the Fatback, and the lighter weights put the putter right around D2 which is the swingweight of my gamer. Despite the fact that I didn't adjust it much, it's a cool feature and very usable - it's not the type of thing where one would be deterred from changing the weights because it's a hassle.

Grip:

This grip is really great. I know it's hard to see in pictures, and it's hard to describe, but when you put it in your hands it just feels like it fits better than a regular grip. This is not only my opinion but the opinion of everyone who I handed this putter to, which is not a small number of people. It's pretty unusual that something different immediately feels good, but this does. I can't really comment on whether or not it helped my stroke or made it easier to open and close the blade, but it does feel good and I can see myself using these grips in the future.

Feel:

This is the part that I've been dreading writing. Feel is inherently subjective, so I'm very hesitant to say anything too negative since it's only the way it feels in my hands and I don't want to bias those who may buy/demo these putters in the future. With that said, here's my two cents: I did not like the feel of this putter. I was really bummed out by this because I love everything else about the putter. The major problem for me is that I did not think that I was getting a consistent feel from the putter which made it very hard to judge distance (to explain: if I hit a 20 foot putt and leave it 4 feet short, but I know, by feel, that I mishit it, I can assume that I my "speed" was actually pretty good, I just mishit it. If I can't be certain what a pure strike was compared to a mishit, then I can't adapt my "speed").

Final Word:

My final thoughts regarding Machine Putters are that they are some of the best looking and most interesting putters around today. The amount of options available is overwhelming and, perhaps most importantly, they have the best customer service I've ever experienced. No one comes close to Chris in terms of responding quickly to every question and, more importantly, Chris makes you feel like he cares. Again, my only complaint was the feel, but that is completely subjective so I strongly encourage everyone to get involved in the demo program and try it for yourself.

A big thanks for Chris and Machine for allowing me to take part in this program. Best of luck with everything-

-Matt

I'm wondering if a different head material would cure that "feel" issue for you? I am also curious if something other than the stainless steel would feel better or possibly worse. As you stated, feel is very subjective. My biggest hurdle was trying to go from an Odyssey White Hot insert to a milled stainless face. Nothing at all alike.

I do have an update on my review in that I took the demo out again today and although the front nine greens had just been plugged and top dressed and the back nine had not, found that adding the tungsten weights to the standard blade back made a huge difference. Thirty one putts on really crappy greens Only two 3 putts and they were both on the top dressed greens and I left them really really short. With the weights I am figuring the head weight to be right at 350g which is what I thought I would like. I'm thinking that I could really get use to one with a little less offset than the plumbers neck.

I even thought about cutting 2" off the shaft and throwing one of my mid sized grips on it for a test run, but I figured that Chris would figure something was wrong the next time they pull the grip and find a 2" extention on the end of the shaft. Not that he could trace it back to me though.

Well after much anticipation, I received my Machine Demo a few days ago. My first impression opening the box was, WOW. I am a fabricator myself, granite & other stones, and I truly appreciate the quality of the product and the attention to detail from David. The milling and finish are beautiful. The tool pouches were very nice as well as the head covers.

Initial impression 10/10

My first task was to disassemble and switch between each of the three different flange options. The fit of each piece was spot on, lining up nicely along the edges and the alignment line. Removing each of the weight plugs was easy, with only a couple feeling tight, possibly due to the Loc-Tite on the threads. No extra force was required.

Ease of assenbly/disassembly 10/10 (remember snug is good enough)

I practice putting with the Pelz Putting Tutor and O-balls. I like the feedback they give me. I used them for the indoor portion of my review. I am partial to mallets and heavier putters, but this year I switch to a 35” Studio Select. I wish it were heavier, but I like the putter anyway. This prompted me to set up the small flange, weighted similar to the Scotty. The sound and feel was similar to the Scotty, but I rolled the ball “pure” more often. I increased the weight and got instant feedback. I really liked the way the putter felt and how the ball come off the face. I played with several more weight combinations, including heavy heel with a lighter toe, but for me the heaviest was my favorite. I took this combination and my Select to the putting green and practiced from many distances. I would putt ten balls from each spot with both putters. The Machine really shined on producing repeatable distances over the Select.

Overall Standard Flange 8.5/10

I set up the tongue back flange loaded with the tungsten weights. This putter just inspires confidence. I started the ball on line using the putting tutor right from the start. The balls were rolling end over end. I couldn’t wait to get on the green with this one. I played 9 holes after work, and while my approach shots left something to be desired, the putter saved me. I had several putts over 20 feet, and consistently left myself inside a foot. Had I had a read the correct line, I would have dropped some in the bottom. I did drop a beauty from 12 feet, I was excited. This was the best I felt putting all year, wish I had time to play 18 that day. I showed it to my wife, smiled and said “Christmas”.

Overall Tongue Back Flange 9.5/10

On to the Fat Back Flange. I was really looking forward to this one, so I saved it for last. It is a hoss when assembled, just what I wanted, and oozes confidence at address. Again, very good starting the ball on line. I weighted it heavy heal to toe, and was putting a slight wobble on the O-balls. I lightened the toe up and started rolling them end over end. Out on the green it was like an ATM inside 8 feet. Like the tongue back, I had excellent distance control on long putts. Can you say, “I need both flange options”?

Overall Fat Back Flange 9/10

A quick review of the reverse arch grip. When you first look at it, you wonder how it could work and feel right. It fit my hands very nicely. I’m not a “handsy” putter so it felt natural to me.

Reverse Arch Grip 9/10

One more time on the course today and I'll sadly ship it out tomorrow.

I would love to visit the studio and get fit for a Machine putter. I really enjoyed participating in this program. Machine has a great future ahead of them.

I would like to thank Chris and David for giving me this great opportunity. I hope my review helps. Chris, I’ll be in touch.....soon!

Tommy W.

I'm not that great at giving reviews but here it goes:

I'd like to start with cosmetics. The color scheme is simple and that's what makes it look beautiful. The colors are blue, black, silver, and white. The grip is all blue with silver lettering. The shaft is steel. The shaft band is silver with a blue emblem. The head is all silver with a black sightline. The headcover is all black with the word machine in white with a blue circle around the M. The blue is exactly the same throughout the putter. There are also some really nice looking accents on the putter. On the top of the grip is a little dog and the letters DLR which looks really cool and the milling on the face along with a logo on the heal of the face and the VMG on the toe look really nice. When you look at this putter you can tell that Machine put a LOT of effort into the cosmetics, down to the very smallest details. This is some serious craftsmanship and was definately not thrown together overnight. You need to have this putter in your hands to appreciate the details but here are some pics:

Ping G425 Max 9*

Ping G425 LST 14.5*

Mizuno Pro 225 2-PW

Mizuno T22 52* & 58*

Ping Isoforce Anser F

Vessel Cart Bag

As far as the performance of this putter goes it was right up my alley. No matter wether I used it as is or with eather of the back options I was making lots of putts. I prefer to use it as is or with the fatback option but that just has to do with personal preferance. I've always liked as many squared edges as I can get. That's what originally drew me to this putter was the squareness and sharpness, when it comes to putters I dont like roundness, but again that is just personal preferance. The putter is very soft which I like as well. No tingy sounds or titanium sounds just very solid and soft which is awesome. I liked the heaviness of it to. The alignment is unparallelled. It is super easy to align and put a good stroke onto. The weight made it easy for me to keep online a stroke. I really was making lots of putts which is what I was most pleased with. Overall the putter is fabulous and I would put it up against any scotty, ping, rife, or whatever. This putter is the shizznit.

Ping G425 Max 9*

Ping G425 LST 14.5*

Mizuno Pro 225 2-PW

Mizuno T22 52* & 58*

Ping Isoforce Anser F

Vessel Cart Bag

If you are into tools and building things than this is right up your alley. It was really fun to play around with and essentially get to have three putters for the price of one. There was a problem with one of the screwing tools snapping but machine will work that out and it wont be a problem in the future. Remember this is not a toy it is a work of art.

Ping G425 Max 9*

Ping G425 LST 14.5*

Mizuno Pro 225 2-PW

Mizuno T22 52* & 58*

Ping Isoforce Anser F

Vessel Cart Bag

I just wanted to finnish off by saying a little something from the heart. I joined this site about a year ago. Probably a day where I was jacked up on caffeine and bored and needed something to do. Well I have to say that this site is awesome. Little did I know I would get three Macgregor 7 irons to demo, I would get a sick putter to use as I please for like 3 weeks, I would get a free hat that is friggin sweet, and I would get in depth details and pictures of all OEMs clubs 3 months before they come out, and get to tell my golfin buddies "guess what, titleist new drivers will have 3 different models and will be released in a few months", i mean come on it is pretty cool to get to be "that guy" lol. But anyway when I can afford to get new clubs there are to companies that officially have there spots set in stone in my bag and that is macgregor and machine, and most likely my bag will be macgregor driver through wedges and a machine putter, you can count on that.

Ping G425 Max 9*

Ping G425 LST 14.5*

Mizuno Pro 225 2-PW

Mizuno T22 52* & 58*

Ping Isoforce Anser F

Vessel Cart Bag