Milled vs Insert putters

yangsta1 ·  
yangsta1yangsta1 Members  38WRX Points: 0Posts: 38
Trying to Choose One...
I putted yesterday at my local golfsmtih with a Never Compromise Exchange #5 and one of the new Taylormade putters and some Odysseys. What are the pros and cons of a milled putter vs a putter with an insert? Thanks!
Posted:

Comments

• yangsta1yangsta1 Members  38WRX Points: 0Posts: 38
    Any help guys?
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • SpeedyProSpeedyPro Members  575WRX Points: 97Posts: 575 Golden Tee
    Are you sure about this? If you know the difference, you cannot stop spending money.

So before turning you into a WRXer, let me ask you this.

What difference did you notice if at all?
    Posted:
    welll the never compromise was notably softer and felt better on the mishits. but the taylormade felt decently soft and produced a decent roolll.
    Posted:
  • SpeedyProSpeedyPro Members  575WRX Points: 97Posts: 575 Golden Tee
    Which one did you like more?

Anyway, here is the answer.

Old putters did not have any special treatment on the face. They had different shapes, length, etc, but very few company worked on the face.

Now, it seems there are whole bunch of different types of putter face.

What's the advantage of the different material, finish, and blahblah of face?

1. To reduce the spring effect

You don't wanna use thin titanium faced putter because the ball will launch off of face too quick and you will have hard time controlling the distance. So they use different materials and finish to reduce spring like launch of ball from the face.

The best example is Odyssey white faced putters.

2. To increase the friction between the face and the ball

Putters have slight loft. 4 degree is most common. So when you putt it hard, ball is lifted from the ground a little bit and hops. So to reduce this effect, they shape the face so that it can produce some kind of friction between the face and the ball, and reduce the hop but increase the roll.

The best example is YES putters.

3. To decrease the irregular reflection due to the ball's dimples.

I don't know if this is true or not, but some putters were said to be designed on this purpose.

The best example is TaylorMade Nubbins.

4. To increase the MOI

Most of putters are made out of steel and steel is heavy. So cut out the center of the face, and replace it with a lighter material. Then it will push the weight distribution to the perimeter, which increases the MOI.

The best example is Odyssey DFX.

Milled face? There are different types of milling method. So other than looking great, each milled face serves as different purpose.

Hope this helps.
    Posted:
  • Skaffa77Skaffa77 No place like the Sand Hills! ClubWRX  6929WRX Points: 232Posts: 6,929 ClubWRX
    I think if you search the threads, it really boils down to a personal preference for feel.

I started with insert putters because I like the soft feel, but overtime, I came to appreciate non-insert putters because they provided better response (feel) at impact resulting in better distance control. Anymore, I can't stand insert putters as they feel mushy and I become somewhat inconsistent with my distance.

Again...just a personal preference...
    Posted:
  • puttputtyputtputty Members  350WRX Points: 0Posts: 350
    Depends on what kind of Insert. Not all inserts are the same, so, some just like to go with Milled - simple milled is one piece, no gimmicks, steel and it all depends on the softness of the steel.

Then you do have these various inserts- Odyssey with its soft feeling urethane-type, and TM with its AGSi.

But then again you've got Scotty Cameron:

http://www.scottycameron.com/putters/putte...ily.aspx?id=131

unbelievable softness in this insert, it's literally so stable and solid, I wish I could afford to buy it.
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • gandorgandor Members  2001WRX Points: 132Handicap: 5.8Posts: 2,001 Platinum Tees
    puttputty wrote on Sep 26 2008, 03:21 PM:
    Depends on what kind of Insert. Not all inserts are the same, so, some just like to go with Milled - simple milled is one piece, no gimmicks, steel and it all depends on the softness of the steel.

Then you do have these various inserts- Odyssey with its soft feeling urethane-type, and TM with its AGSi.

But then again you've got Scotty Cameron:

http://www.scottycameron.com/putters/putte...ily.aspx?id=131

unbelievable softness in this insert, it's literally so stable and solid, I wish I could afford to buy it.

****! if they have that in newport 2.5 it'll be in my bag!
    Posted:
    SIM 10.5* Tensei Pro Orange 70TX(.5") :: TS3 9.5* Tensei Pro Orange 70TX(.5") :: 2017 M2 TI 9.3*-1.8* 205g Diamana X Limited 60s(.5")
    F9 14.5* Tour AD IZ-8TX(1") :: TS2 15* Tour AD IZ-8TX(1") :: 2017 M2 15* Crazy La Bomba FW 80s(1")
    MB-001 2i KBS C-Taper Lite 115X :: X-Forged UT 18* Project X :: F9 19* Tensei Pro White 100TX
    MB-001 4-9 Modus3 Tour 120X :: AR1 4-9 Aerotech SteelFiber 110cw :: MP-29 2-9 KBS Tour
    WedgeWorks V-Grind 46/50/55/60 DG S400 Tour Issue
    Scotty Tour Black 009M Hoops
    Scotty Tour Black Buttonback T10 Newport Deep Milled Insert Only
    Studio Stock 28 SB Center Shaft Blackout(Spacial Black Friday) Limited Release
    Queen B 5 Blackout(Spacial Black Friday) Limited Release
    Studio Stock 38 (current gamer)
    K-Signature
    WITB Link
    Thanks for the replie sguys! I'll be looking into the Odyssey White Tour and the New Compromise. Could anybody reccomened/ review anymore putters like this?
    Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.