2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

HOW BAD DO YOU WANT TO IMPROVE?

hugh

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SPAM WHAT ARE YOU SAYING? IM ASKING A QUESTION AS A COACH/INSTRUCTOR AND FORMER PGA TOUR PLAYER AND 4 TIME WINNER ON THE NATIONWIDE TOUR! AND YOU?

I'm sure you will tell us that the only right answer is your school.

P.S. TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK. It is kind of rude to have it on as it comes across as yelling.

Honestly I dont care if you come to my school or not I am just trying to help kids that are taught improper fundamentals by shirt folding pros who read and think that they can teach. Personally Im tired of fixing crappy grips,pivots,weight shifts, poor planes. I just wanted to help, sorry to get in the way of people who read and watch TV and have never been to the optimal level just trying to help. Not everyone is trying to screw someone for money. I appologize for trying to add something.

No, that would be me.

Hugh isn't advertising, I don't see any logos or website links.

Since you really have no experience with either the IJGA or CGA, nor are answering Hugh's original question - I would suggest that you "go away".

TM, Hugh is just asking people on these boards if they are willing to devote themselves to the game. He's asking where they want to go with it, how far they are willing to take it. He's not asking them to come to his school. I agree though, if he wanted to advertise on GolfWRX he'd be better off becoming a sponsor.

DO YOU HAVE WHAT IT TAKES?I WOULD LIKE TO HEAR FROM MEMBERS DO THEY HAVE THE HEART TO IMPROVE? WHERE DO THEY WANT TO GO WITH GOLF,HIGH SCHOOL TEAM, COLLEGE SCHOLARSHIP, THE TOUR? DO YOU HAVE THE GUTS TO TRAIN AND SACRIFICE TO OBTAIN YOUR GOALS?

I want to take it to a D1 college scholarship (I'm pretty sure this will happen...hopefully, in either the SEC or Big 12) and then the PGA tour if possible. As someone who's been there I'd like to hear the advice you have.

Tell me first how you play. Then the one thing I would say to you is forget what is being said about smash and bash! work hard on your pace of the swing, swinging 60% at the most, this will help with control of pattern and control of distance. This will also help with timing and any changes that you are trying to make. Basically what Im saying is learn to change gears, hitting the ball a long ways is impressive but the numbers in the boxes on the card mean anything. Trust me when I tell you this and I was just with John Inman at UNC consistent solid play means more than a good tournament in every 5. Work on patience and attitude, coaches love that. Learn to have a plan for your practice time, spend time on everything not just hitting balls and putting. Learn to have your technical practice with no tournaments and to have playing and shot making time before a tournament. Delagating time for training and playing is so important, you have to be able to seperate both and this can be tough to do. Good luck and anything I can do to help let me know. Hugh

You have to remember that golf is just a game so work technical on practice tee and go on course to play the game. One of the best things I did for myself getting ready for the tour after a week off and we do here at the academy is have the kids play from the red tees with 5,7,9 and a putter , score par or better to move back and add a club. This will help with the thought and imagination process.You have to play to yardages and again learn to change gears with each club. This will help you get your playing head on and is great for your short game too. Good luck and let us know how else we can help.

I worked with Jim Grant who was and still is a top Ballard instructor. The bent left arm was an issue for me but you have to feel like your upper bicept is literally nailed to your arm pits and feel like your right shoulder and hip release the club and your body to the target. Also practicing with the split hand grip off a tee will help you get the club in front of your body, dont try to pull the grip down for so called lag. The club head mas to get in front of your chest ASAP. Let me know if this helps or you need something else.

I worked with Jim Grant who was and still is a top Ballard instructor. The bent left arm was an issue for me but you have to feel like your upper bicept is literally nailed to your arm pits and feel like your right shoulder and hip release the club and your body to the target. Also practicing with the split hand grip off a tee will help you get the club in front of your body, dont try to pull the grip down for so called lag. The club head mas to get in front of your chest ASAP. Let me know if this helps or you need something else.

Thanks, Hugh I really appreciate it,

I just started working with Jimmy a few days ago and I must say it is quite different from my old swing. I can see how it will work eventually and I am slowing working towards it. I probably hit over a hundred balls in a harness type thing that emphasizes connection just as you were saying and he did show me the split grip drill.

BTW- to answer your original question... I am working very hard to bring my game up to a college level. Unfortunately, I am running out of time because I am a senior this year. I am however practicing every chance I get and have joined my High Schools team (which is horrible) but at least they offer me free access to a course. I usually start working on my golf at 2pm and usually end up back at home by 7:30-8:00. I feel like I am working somewhat hard but I am sure there is others out there that are working even harder.

I think I can sacrifice to reach my goals but I do not think I want to go past the college level. Just the thought of the pressure scares me. I can imagine standing over a putt and thinking "I have to sink this to pay for my mortgage payment". I do not want to put myself into that position.

I am currently a D2 college golfer and i work hard in all my free time to get better. I am really lookoing for ways to get to the next level. Right now my wedge game is not very good though, and I just can't afford to make bogeys from inside 100 yards so it is killing my scores. Any thoughts would be great.

Look the tour is not for everyone, it takes a certain type to live that life. Remember feel as though you release with the right elbow not the right wrist or hand. Use the connection strap as much as you can it will help, but hit balls at 50% this will help change the old habits. Good luck let me know if I can help more.

When it comes to wedge play a stable lower body is crucial. Too many people allow their lower body to move too much in the back swing. Work on keeping your legs as stable as possible like you were standing in concrete on the backswing and then move to the follow through once contact is made. Also work on the clock type system for distance control, go 9-3,10-2 and so on but control distance with your arm speed not hands. Good luck

I'm sorry hugh but even though there have been some replies that you think at unfair, you are in the wrong. Even a cursory familiarity of netiquette (how to behave on web forums) would have saved you a whole heap of trouble.

ALL CAPS: As someone mentioned before, this is the equivalent of shouting.

Unnecessary links: I don't know where the link in the first post went to as it's been disabled. By any chance did it link to some site or post that refers to your business? If so, that's shilling and a big no-no. If not, what's it there for?

Hero-grams and Hero-photos: Telling people how great you are (even if it is just the fact that you used to be on Tour) or posting pics of you with big names is the wrong way to get people to take you seriously. Actions not words or pictures are the way forward..

Persecution complex: 'sorry to get in the way of people who read and watch TV and have never been to the optimal level .... I appologize for trying to add something.' You may well be a experienced golfer trying to help but sarcastic comments like this and it sounds more like a sulky teenager.

Multiple posts: On a busy web forum, people often navigate by looking a most recent posts. Posting numerous replies when no one else has posted anything can be seen as bumping which is frowned on.

Grammar: Not required but it'll make people take you a lot more seriously.

From your other comments, you obviously have a lot of knowledge and an admirable desire to help others. I feel that your best bet is to let this thread drop and either start a new one as I think that you started off on the wrong foot here.

Thanks for your advice I sincerely didnt try to play some power trip here. I am not trying to sell the academy I just wanted to help. One of my students thought it would be cool to provide people with chance to talk about golf the tour and what ever interests them. The pictures were per suggestion to let people know that these people come by on occasion and questions can be answered. Yes I get flustered with people who dont have a clue about the game just what they read or hear on tv, all we wanted to do was open discussion and help people with questions without the costs. I really think Im done with all of the discussion rooms I just struggle with opinions with no factual basis, just wanted to help. Good Luck :drinks:

Before you go, here are a few PROTIPS just in case you ever teach a student or run into other people you don't know, they actually work quite well in both situations.

1) When you come across people you don't know, introduce yourself. If people know who you are, they might be open to talking to you, listening to you or even getting instruction from you. Yelling "DO YOU HAVE WHAT IT TAKES? DO YOU HAVE THE GUTS TO TRAIN AND SACRIFICE TO OBTAIN YOUR GOALS?" makes you sound like an imbecile from the POWERTHIRST commercials. Also being in a picture with a tour player doesn't make you qualified to give advice to a kid with a +3.2 index, just ask the other guy in the yellow shirt.

David-Cook-Tiger-Woods.jpg

2) Good instructors are patient or at least can give the illusion of being patient whereas you were flustered after the first reply to your post. If you can't keep your cool on the internets, you probably don't have great people skills in the real world either. I'm sure Butch and Leadbetter get plenty of dumb questions, but they at least have the ability to communicate their thoughts with others without getting flustered.

3) You work at a golf academy and you're tired of fixing "crappy" players, well then you chose the wrong occupation. The average golfer can't break 100 so you might run into a few crappy grips, pivots, weight shifts and poor planes. A golf professional who doesn't like helping students is like a surgeon tired of cutting people. You may want to find another line of work if this teaching gig doesn't pan out for you. In fact I hear the military is looking for Drill Sergeants.

Gentlemen I wish all of you the best and by the way I was a Tour Player for 14 years. Tiger is a friend so is Woody, Ernie, Dimarco and I have won 4 times on Nationwide Tour and Teach a guy who is getting his card this year for the tour from the Nationwide.Oh and if you need to go to Wikepedia and look up Hugh Royer III, I have an academy for people who want to play on that level not those that wish they could. But thanks for your help you wont have to worry about me here anymore Im sorry I bothered you or came accross wrong. Good luck guys and play well

Gentlemen I wish all of you the best and by the way I was a Tour Player for 14 years. Tiger is a friend so is Woody, Ernie, Dimarco and I have won 4 times on Nationwide Tour and Teach a guy who is getting his card this year for the tour from the Nationwide.Oh and if you need to go to Wikepedia and look up Hugh Royer III, I have an academy for people who want to play on that level not those that wish they could. But thanks for your help you wont have to worry about me here anymore Im sorry I bothered you or came accross wrong. Good luck guys and play well

ok,

Hugh Royer III

Height:6-1 Weight:155

Born:2/13/64 Birth Place:Columbus, Georgia

College:Columbus College Turned Pro:1987

Career Earnings:$400,935

problem 1 - you really need to understand how forums work.

problem 2- you cant get so upset so easily, you can be tiger woods posting and some jerk will make a comment

about not standing up for world peace, hurricane victims etc.etc... you are going to get negative comments everywhere

on the net with your postings.

problem 3- you have such a i am better than you undertone on almost all your posts.

it gives you zero net-cred.

"I have an academy for people who want to play on that level not those that wish they could"

like ozzie coach of the white sox's says sssh please.....

400k in career earnings ? for 14 years of work ?

"Tiger is a friend so is Woody, Ernie, Dimarco and" I like the name dropping

i have had both clinton's,kennedy's etc.etc.. visit my companies it doesn't mean s***.

• 2 weeks later...
DO YOU HAVE WHAT IT TAKES?I WOULD LIKE TO HEAR FROM MEMBERS DO THEY HAVE THE HEART TO IMPROVE? WHERE DO THEY WANT TO GO WITH GOLF,HIGH SCHOOL TEAM, COLLEGE SCHOLARSHIP, THE TOUR? DO YOU HAVE THE GUTS TO TRAIN AND SACRIFICE TO OBTAIN YOUR GOALS?

Hi I''m a junior golfer and I want to get lower scores more offten, I did win a tourmanet this year at one under ( was 4 udner thru 7 ), but since then it has been difficult for me to get under par, the other problem is there is snow 6 months of the year, and i'm not the biggest kid i can carry the ball about 265(controal swing) but others in my age group can go alot deeper then that, do you have any excersise ideas? I think the biggest problem is with my putter, do you have any ideas of how to putt better?

Thanks Greg