Need to buy a putter, help!

huggbees

I just picked up this game two months ago and have been practicing everyday and getting pretty decent. I'm currently using some second-hand Nike Slingshots, used Ping I-Wedges, some unknown driver, and a $15.99 Slotline putter (got it for free so I can't complain). Since I'm still new to the game I've decided to hold off on splurging on new irons, wedges, and driver until I get a better idea of what I need and they do fine for me now. I still shank and chunk the irons occasionally so I don't want to do unnecessary damage to new clubs :fool:

I just took two lessons on short-game and figured the putter would experience the least wear and tear so I want to buy my first real piece of equipment. I prefer a classic putter shape like the Yes! Tracy or Ping Anser, slightly heavier head (not too much), and something that doesn't require customization since I have no idea what I'm doing. Also, with my cheapo Slotline I don't feel like I'm getting any feedback when I hit. Are there putters that provided better feel and distance control? I'm 5'11" if it'll help determine what length shaft I should be using since most putters offer 34"-36" options.

For some reason the two pro-shops at the golf courses where I play don't have any clubs to buy even though they come up as official distributors/retailers, maybe they have to special order it? In this case should I just buy from the manufacturer's site directly? My budget is ~$200 unless there's something significantly better for $50-$75 more then I have no problem digging a little deeper. Thanks and fire away!

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just picked up this game two months ago and have been practicing everyday and getting pretty decent. I'm currently using some second-hand Nike Slingshots, used Ping I-Wedges, some unknown driver, and a $15.99 Slotline putter (got it for free so I can't complain). Since I'm still new to the game I've decided to hold off on splurging on new irons, wedges, and driver until I get a better idea of what I need and they do fine for me now. I still shank and chunk the irons occasionally so I don't want to do unnecessary damage to new clubs :man_in_love:

I just took two lessons on short-game and figured the putter would experience the least wear and tear so I want to buy my first real piece of equipment. I prefer a classic putter shape like the Yes! Tracy or Ping Anser, slightly heavier head (not too much), and something that doesn't require customization since I have no idea what I'm doing. Also, with my cheapo Slotline I don't feel like I'm getting any feedback when I hit. Are there putters that provided better feel and distance control? I'm 5'11" if it'll help determine what length shaft I should be using since most putters offer 34"-36" options.

For some reason the two pro-shops at the golf courses where I play don't have any clubs to buy even though they come up as official distributors/retailers, maybe they have to special order it? In this case should I just buy from the manufacturer's site directly? My budget is ~$200 unless there's something significantly better for $50-$75 more then I have no problem digging a little deeper. Thanks and fire away!

since you stated you can stretch it to $250. this would be a good pick and u could probably use forever :fool: ping redwood

SIM 10.5* Tensei Pro Orange 70TX(.5") :: TS3 9.5* Tensei Pro Orange 70TX(.5") :: 2017 M2 TI 9.3*-1.8* 205g Diamana X Limited 60s(.5")
F9 14.5* Tour AD IZ-8TX(1") :: TS2 15* Tour AD IZ-8TX(1") :: 2017 M2 15* Crazy La Bomba FW 80s(1")
MB-001 2i KBS C-Taper Lite 115X :: X-Forged UT 18* Project X :: F9 19* Tensei Pro White 100TX
MB-001 4-9 Modus3 Tour 120X :: AR1 4-9 Aerotech SteelFiber 110cw :: MP-29 2-9 KBS Tour
WedgeWorks V-Grind 46/50/55/60 DG S400 Tour Issue
Scotty Tour Black 009M Hoops
Scotty Tour Black Buttonback T10 Newport Deep Milled Insert Only
Studio Stock 28 SB Center Shaft Blackout(Spacial Black Friday) Limited Release
Queen B 5 Blackout(Spacial Black Friday) Limited Release
Studio Stock 38 (current gamer)
K-Signature
WITB Link

I understand that once you pass a certain price range, it boils down to preference but like I stated for some reason the pro-shops at the golf courses I go to don't have ANY clubs to try out or sell. All they have in the shop are some shirts, balls, gloves, and other miscellaneous equipment.

Thanks for the Ping Redwood suggestion, that was actually one of the ones I was considering.

Unless you are living in the middle of nowhere (my apologies if you actually do!) then go to a golf superstore or drive an hour or two to get to one. In my area north of Atlanta, we have pga superstore, golfsmith, and a brand new edwin watts, all within 10 miles of my house. These stores all have dozens of putters lined up and large indoor multi hole greens to try them out on. Also, most of these stores have a playability guarantee with a new club as well. You can usually get a putter fitting for free as long as you buy the putter from that store. My advice, for putters, get something decent quality and brand, after that, it is all personal preference. If you think it is a great putter, then it will be. But there is no reason from a performance standpoint, to pay beyond, say, $150 max, unless you are going for a certain image or brand.

ping karsten series are about $90 and are very solid, probably the best sub $100 non-insert putter out there. i love mine. The bettinardi c-series are a bit less than $200 and have a heavy version. You can get a ton of putters for less than $100, so if it were me, I'd find something I like around that range and spend the extra $100-150 to replace your unknown brand driver (lots of great deals right now) to get you off the tee. Slingshots are decent, the pings are great, and you'd have a solid bag.

First off, you might get even more advice if the Mods can switch this to the putter forum.

Just to sum up what everyone has said so far into my own advice as well: you're starting off the game, like you said you don't really know what exactly suits your needs yet. So I'd agree with "atlanta_golfer", there are tons of quality putters to be had for the sub $150 range. Again, try to find a shop (Golf Galaxy, PGA Superstop, GolfSmith, etc) that you can test out the newest putters, then buy used to save some hard earned cash. Check the boards here, or Ebay. Half the time you can find what you're looking for brand new still and save 10-20%. I'd give you a suggestion as well, but there's just so many options you should explore rather than going on what works for someone else.

Driver: Ping G30
3-Wood: Ping G30
Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro
Irons: Mizuno JPX921 Hot Metal Pro
Wedges: Scratch 1018
Putter: Scotty Cameron Red X5

Thanks for all the suggestions. I did some more reading, slow day at work, and I think I'll go with the Ping Karsten series like someone said. Looks like a solid putter and I won't feel guilty about spending all that money :fool: The only question now is there are seven models for this series, how do I choose? Also, how long should the shaft be? I used their fitting tool and they recommend a 33.5" shaft since my wrists are 35" from the ground when standing up. Should I err on the safe side and pick a 34" shaft? It also recommended Putter type: Heel Shafted but I'm not sure if I filled in the inquiry correctly.

I'm 6'0" and prefer a 34" putter. Doesn't mean that's the standard for everyone, but based on that a 33.5" or 34" should suit you well IMO. Ping Karsten would be a good option, but actually I did think of another one you may want to consider...

The Mizuno Bettinardi lines. Either the Black Carbon or C lines retail for around $230, but can be had for far cheaper online. Under $150 most likely, I've even seen them in mint condition as low as $90 - $100. Just a thought...

Driver: Ping G30
3-Wood: Ping G30
Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro
Irons: Mizuno JPX921 Hot Metal Pro
Wedges: Scratch 1018
Putter: Scotty Cameron Red X5

Rife two bar has been the best putter I have played. Incredibly well balanced.

Tried out the Itsy Bitsy Spider the other day and loved it.

I think 35" is standard for normal sized men?

Callaway GBB Driver
Callaway GBB 5 wood
TM Aeroburner 5 hybrids
Ping Anser irons 6-PW
Ping I20 UWTI, SW
Callaway MD PM 58, 64
Ping Ketch mid heavy
Callaway Supersoft, Bridgestone extrasoft

All good posts - not much to add. But . . . I found the Kartsen series Anser a little light and you mentioned wanting some heft in the putter. You may also want a putter with more directional forgiveness than Anser. Spider, Rife Two-bar, Odyssey Two-ball are popular in this category.

Callaway Rogue 10.5°
Ping G410 2, 3 Hybrid
Ping G410 3, 4 Crossover 
Ping G410 5-UW
Vokey spin milled 54/14
SC Studio Select Newport 2

Spider- Spider! Spider- Spider! Spider- Spider! Spider- Spider! Spider- Spider! Spider- Spider! Spider- Spider! Spider- Spider! Spider- Spider! Spider- Spider! Spider- Spider! Spider- Spider! Spider- Spider! Spider- Spider!

Sabertooth! Sabertooth! Sabertooth! Sabertooth! Sabertooth! Sabertooth! Sabertooth! Sabertooth! Sabertooth! Sabertooth! Sabertooth! Sabertooth! Sabertooth! Sabertooth! Sabertooth! Sabertooth! Sabertooth! Sabertooth!

Great Putter

You can't go wrong with Odyssey White Hot XG #7 Putter.

I can't say enough about this putter, it's great.

Golf Galaxy has it on sale for $119.

I'm sure Spider and Sabertooth are great putters also, but I just wanted to share my experience with the #7.

2 additional things:

You can pickup the ball from the ground without bending down.

I noticed that lot of the pros use the this putter.

Lots of anser styles out there right now and on sale. An older model anser style that someone has on sale will work as well right now as a full priced anser style until you get your technique down.

It's best first to find technique, then find a putter that fits you. Moral of story -- don't spend much right now -- you can spend <$99 for an excellent OTR Putter.

Putter length depends more or less on how upright you want you stance -- bent over or upright? eyes over ball? eyes inside ball? Once again, it's about technique and comfort. I like to save my back from misery so I've adopted a technique that works for speed control and saves my back - hint - it's more upright. If you're not comfortable over the ball with your setup, you won't like the result.

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi Golf Shaft @45 in. (coming soon)
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18/ TPT Golf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H/TPT Golf
  • Ping i230 5-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 or Ping Glide Forged Pro, Both with Nippon 105 
  • Putter:  LAB DF3 TPT Shaft (waiting)
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

Spider- Spider! Spider- Spider! Spider- Spider! Spider- Spider! Spider- Spider! Spider- Spider! Spider- Spider! Spider- Spider! Spider- Spider! Spider- Spider! Spider- Spider! Spider- Spider! Spider- Spider! Spider- Spider!

+1. I haven't putted so good since putting it in my bag.

[font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif][b][i]Ping G400 - 9*[/i]
[i]Ping G30 - 17*[/i][/b]
[b][i]Ping G400 - 19*[/i]
[i]Ping G30 - 22*[/i][/b]
[b][i]Ping G30 - 25*[/i]
[i]TaylorMade P790 Custom Black Finish - 6-GW - Steel Fiber i95 shaft[/i]
[i]Cleveland RTX-4 - 54 and 58 [/i]
[i]Scotty Cameron "Joker" X5 34" with 20g Joker weights[/i][/b][/font]

I've heard nothing but great things about the Spider but it seems like a lot of people are claiming or joking that the putter does most of the work and doesn't really provide great feedback, it just makes the ball go really really straight. I think I'd rather get something that I can improve with and learn the nuances of putting. Plus that thing is ugly to look and I think I'd be more comfortable with a traditional blade style putter. Anymore suggestions before I bite the bullet on a Ping Karsten?

Edit: Off topic but are there any small practice bags that can hold a couple clubs (5-6) I can use when I'm just going to the driving range or putting green? I usually only bring a couple clubs and leave em on the ground/grass cause I don't feel like carrying around a carry/cart bag.

I've heard nothing but great things about the Spider but it seems like a lot of people are claiming or joking that the putter does most of the work and doesn't really provide great feedback, it just makes the ball go really really straight. I think I'd rather get something that I can improve with and learn the nuances of putting. Plus that thing is ugly to look and I think I'd be more comfortable with a traditional blade style putter. Anymore suggestions before I bite the bullet on a Ping Karsten?

Edit: Off topic but are there any small practice bags that can hold a couple clubs (5-6) I can use when I'm just going to the driving range or putting green? I usually only bring a couple clubs and leave em on the ground/grass cause I don't feel like carrying around a carry/cart bag.

Just find out whether you want a center shafted Anser or the traditional shaft towards the heel.

Ping, Mizuno, Sun Mountain all have a Scratch Bag - take a look at their websites for the bags. I will say that I prefer a very lite weight stand bag for such purpose only for the fact that they have stiffening rods that hold the bag up to make it easier to slide clubs in and out of the bag.

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi Golf Shaft @45 in. (coming soon)
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18/ TPT Golf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H/TPT Golf
  • Ping i230 5-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 or Ping Glide Forged Pro, Both with Nippon 105 
  • Putter:  LAB DF3 TPT Shaft (waiting)
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

As far as the bag goes, I have a brand new one of these you can have for $50 plus shipping

t-80singlestrap-baltic.jpg

As for the putter, have a look at the Never Compromise exchange series. They can be had for cheap and have adjustable weights so you can work out what weight you like and then buy something better down the track.

Alrighty thanks for your help everyone. My bags gonna look pretty nice now. I bought a Ping Karsten Anser 2 for $60, Ping G10 Driver for $212.50, and an Ogio Vaporlite White/Navy bag for $98.00. Ebay FTW! Once I stop shanking the ball I'll replace my Nike Slingshots and I'll be all set! Too bad my new toys won't be here in time for the weekend.