Cobra King LTD pro cb/mb irons

Techgolfer1

Just got my set in last week. Unfortunately won't be able to play them till I head to AL for a few days in Feb, but will be doing some numbers testing very soon, outside of hitting them at the golf shop.

After the 30 min I spent hitting through the set when I got them, I have a little input but not much.

1). I love the look of them. That's the entire reason I ordered them since no where had anything to demo for lefties, I just decided to bite the bullet.
2). They feel good. I think they feel more solid than my Apex Pro's, which is probably due to the fact they are an MB and this was my first time hitting any sort of MB. A flushed shot feels like magic, but the nice part was that mis-hits weren't painfully punishing. I don't mean that in the sense of forgiveness, but I caught a few shots very thin and honestly, the sensation was easier to deal with than it was with my Apex Pro's even. That being said, you definitely know when you mishit one as well.
3.) They seem to spin a good bit more than my prior, above mentioned set. I don't have an issue spinning the ball, but was surprised to see that I still got right around 6500 rpm on a couple shots that I caught slightly behind the ball (using a 7i), and the launch was still pretty dang good. That being said, it does worry me to some aspect that I will be getting a little too much spin/height. When I gave it a little extra with my old set which were shafted with TI X100's, I could definitely get a little too much height, and while the C-tapers are definitely lower launching shafts, I think the grooves in the heads on these offer quite a bit more bite than the AP pros as their grove design was there to do the opposite that I'm aware of.
4). I haven't played C-tapers before. I decided to go in a stiff flex with them and can definitely see myself hard-stepping them in the future but we will see. According to the fitter I shouldn't really notice the difference between the 120g ctapers and the 130g of the x100's, and that it shouldn't affect my performance, but I also went with midsize grips, and I do notice the difference. Getting used to new heads, shafts, and a new grip size is leaving a lot to be decided for different aspects of the club build, but all that aside, the heads look, feel, and perform very nicely. They're a long ways off from being as forgiving as other club models, and that should be obvious, but slight miss hits weren't robbing me of 15 yards or anything of that nature. I found that a mis-hit towards the heel is punished very little, if at all, but moving out towards the toe is where I lost the yardage.

The day I picked up my clubs was a blessing and a curse. I wasn't aware they would be coming in and was still in jeans and work boots when I went to get them and was alerted that I could hit them. While I wasn't in the most comfortable golfing attire, standing higher than usual in work boots, and had walked several miles on the site of the project I am working on, I was a bit worn out, and my swing was just not really all there that day. This gave me a preview off what an off day with them will be like, and it alerted me that I will be able to manage with them. I didn't find them to be any more difficult to hit than the ap pro's really. The swing is in slight hibernation so I am admittedly lacking a bit of speed currently, but I certainly can't find any reason that they won't perform just as well, or subjectively better. If my ball flight is lower with the shorter iron's, I'll be a happy guy.

I will be spending some time with a track man tomorrow for an hour or two. I will do my best to get loose tonight and do what I can to bring a decent swing with me and hopefully be able to give some good numbers and comparisons for everyone. All I have to compare them to is my std distances with my old set for everyone, but it's enough for a high level overview.

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Tcann32' timestamp='1450798860' post='12751464']
Just got my set in last week. Unfortunately won't be able to play them till I head to AL for a few days in Feb, but will be doing some numbers testing very soon, outside of hitting them at the golf shop.

After the 30 min I spent hitting through the set when I got them, I have a little input but not much.

1). I love the look of them. That's the entire reason I ordered them since no where had anything to demo for lefties, I just decided to bite the bullet.
2). They feel good. I think they feel more solid than my Apex Pro's, which is probably due to the fact they are an MB and this was my first time hitting any sort of MB. A flushed shot feels like magic, but the nice part was that mis-hits weren't painfully punishing. I don't mean that in the sense of forgiveness, but I caught a few shots very thin and honestly, the sensation was easier to deal with than it was with my Apex Pro's even. That being said, you definitely know when you mishit one as well.
3.) They seem to spin a good bit more than my prior, above mentioned set. I don't have an issue spinning the ball, but was surprised to see that I still got right around 6500 rpm on a couple shots that I caught slightly behind the ball (using a 7i), and the launch was still pretty dang good. That being said, it does worry me to some aspect that I will be getting a little too much spin/height. When I gave it a little extra with my old set which were shafted with TI X100's, I could definitely get a little too much height, and while the C-tapers are definitely lower launching shafts, I think the grooves in the heads on these offer quite a bit more bite than the AP pros as their grove design was there to do the opposite that I'm aware of.
4). I haven't played C-tapers before. I decided to go in a stiff flex with them and can definitely see myself hard-stepping them in the future but we will see. According to the fitter I shouldn't really notice the difference between the 120g ctapers and the 130g of the x100's, and that it shouldn't affect my performance, but I also went with midsize grips, and I do notice the difference. Getting used to new heads, shafts, and a new grip size is leaving a lot to be decided for different aspects of the club build, but all that aside, the heads look, feel, and perform very nicely. They're a long ways off from being as forgiving as other club models, and that should be obvious, but slight miss hits weren't robbing me of 15 yards or anything of that nature. I found that a mis-hit towards the heel is punished very little, if at all, but moving out towards the toe is where I lost the yardage.

The day I picked up my clubs was a blessing and a curse. I wasn't aware they would be coming in and was still in jeans and work boots when I went to get them and was alerted that I could hit them. While I wasn't in the most comfortable golfing attire, standing higher than usual in work boots, and had walked several miles on the site of the project I am working on, I was a bit worn out, and my swing was just not really all there that day. This gave me a preview off what an off day with them will be like, and it alerted me that I will be able to manage with them. I didn't find them to be any more difficult to hit than the ap pro's really. The swing is in slight hibernation so I am admittedly lacking a bit of speed currently, but I certainly can't find any reason that they won't perform just as well, or subjectively better. If my ball flight is lower with the shorter iron's, I'll be a happy guy.

I will be spending some time with a track man tomorrow for an hour or two. I will do my best to get loose tonight and do what I can to bring a decent swing with me and hopefully be able to give some good numbers and comparisons for everyone. All I have to compare them to is my std distances with my old set for everyone, but it's enough for a high level overview.
[/quote]

One thing I have noticed with going to larger grips is that they make the club feel lighter. I've noticed this several times on sets I have regripped or ordered with my normal SW then got them and they felt very light despite measuring perfectly to spec

My theory is that the wider grip distributes the weight of the club across a larger area of your hand which results in less pressure and thus less sensation of heft. Similar to the way a snowshoe will keep you from sinking in powdery snow when otherwise you'd be waist deep.

ONOFF Labospec 358 — Tour AD TP6
Titleist TS2 16.5* — Kuro Kage XM 80
Justick Proceed 21* UT — Nippon GOST 
Mizuno MP-20 HMB/MB— MITSUBISHI MMT 105/125
Mizuno T20 50* and 55* — MITSUBISHI MMT 125
Seven ST 61* Black Boron — MCI Black 125 “mild”
Epon Ltd Edition I-33 — Matrix PZ-125 Shaft 

[quote name='Tcann32' timestamp='1451194292' post='12767366'][attachment=3078350:ImageUploadedByGolfWRX Mobile1451194267.696303.jpg]

Well here's what they look like with no paintfill, deciding what to do from here![/quote]

Looks good! How long did it take you? I would say to put your favorite colors in there or leave it blank. I for one like the big cobra being painted. I think it looks cool.

I change too much to list it. Working on that...

[quote name='LoveSick666' timestamp='1451198697' post='12767460']Just curious, but what did you use to remove the paint? I used acetone but it didnt work very well. Ended up scraping the paint out with a razor blade. Lol[/quote]

I used acetone and a toothpick. I ended up layering the acetone a couple times then started scraping with the toothpick.

It honestly took a solid 30-40 min for just the one club.

[quote name='Tcann32' timestamp='1451194292' post='12767366']
[attachment=3078350:ImageUploadedByGolfWRX Mobile1451194267.696303.jpg]

Well here's what they look like with no paintfill, deciding what to do from here!
[/quote]

How did you remove the paint?

Callaway Mavrick Callaway Mavrick SZ 3W Callaway Superhybrid Titleist 510 20 Titleist T100 Vokey SM7 54 and 60 Scotty Cameron T22

[quote name='Tcann32' timestamp='1451237584' post='12768334']
[attachment=3078562:ImageUploadedByGolfWRX Mobile1451237527.123048.jpg]

Plus it matches the rest of my setup

I've got some ideas for the entire set club, should be able to get this one finished up today, will upload once I'm done!
[/quote]

Nice looking clubs you have there. Good luck with them.

[quote name='tsur1' timestamp='1449358804' post='12685174']
Great clubs, but so disappointed, because they are too player for me. The 7-GW MBs are too much for me (3 handicap, rely on length and short game). They look sooo good at address, I want to love them so bad...
Shot a decent round, but just scrambled the whole day because I wasn't hitting it solid... And I know I'm not a great ball striker, and I was intimidated of missing... So more my problem than the clubs... Hit two great shots, with the 5 iron and 9 iron, and oh my, if I could hit it on the face consistently the size of a nickel, I would be in love...They will be on the BST tomorrow, someone will get a DEAL, I just talked with DD and they are on back order until mid January...
[/quote]

Saw your signature, what do you think of the Cobra King LTD driver and 3 wood?

LEFT HANDED

Titleist TSR3 with Metaflex 5H shaft (currently testing the Proxima 6 stiff shaft)
Titleist TSR2 16.5 degree fwy with Ventus Red 7 stiff shaft
Ping G430 19 and 22 degree hybrids with Ventus Blue HB 8 stiff shaft
Srixon ZX7 mkii 5-PW with Fuji Axiom 105 stiff shafts

Titleist SM9 50F, 54D, 58T wedge with Fuji Axiom 105 stiff shafts
L.A.B. MEZZ Max putter with LAGP putter shaft

The green is beautiful. Being a fellow lefty and nobody near me with a demo, I'm going to order a full CB set. I've never tried removing the paint fill and unfortunately I have 0 artistic ability. Wish there was somewhere I could take them and just pay someone to do it.

Cobra L4V 9 Degree (Old Faithful)
Callaway X2 Hot 15 Degree w/ Diamana Blueboard
Ping I3 4-PW
Titleist Vokey SM5 Wedges 54, 58. SM6 50
Ping Milled Anser #5
All in a Sun Mountain C-130S

[quote name='kaaayelll' timestamp='1449578357' post='12694228']
[quote name='FairwayFred' timestamp='1449540087' post='12693022']
Can someone post some pics at address? Especially of the MBs?

How do they compare at address, shape, offset etc to the Bio Cell Pro and Fly Z Pro MB?
[/quote]

7i and PW
[/quote]

Nice curves.

@therealping

[quote name='Leftymoose' timestamp='1451320401' post='12771722']
Does anyone have a set of strictly CB's in these instead of the CB/MB set? If so, is there much difference in the short irons?
[/quote]

Although I have the combo, the difference between the 6i (cb) and 7i (mb) is pretty minimal actually. Looking down at the ball I personally don't really notice anything. The forgiveness isn't exaggerated by much at all, and the head size, offset, sole, and topline all seem the same to me. If the top line and sole are any thicker, it's well hidden by the black finish.

This is also my first experience with MB's in general, and I don't notice much difference in comparison to my apex pros as far as forgiveness goes in the short irons, and my distances are the same as well. Not that the callaways had much offset anyways, but these having even less in the only noticeable thing I have come across as far as performance, and with my miss being a pull, it's actually helped me lol.

[quote name='Tcann32' timestamp='1451323174' post='12771884']
Does anyone have a set of strictly CB's in these instead of the CB/MB set? If so, is there much difference in the short irons?
[/quote]

Although I have the combo, the difference between the 6i (cb) and 7i (mb) is pretty minimal actually. Looking down at the ball I personally don't really notice anything. The forgiveness isn't exaggerated by much at all, and the head size, offset, sole, and topline all seem the same to me. If the top line and sole are any thicker, it's well hidden by the black finish.

This is also my first experience with MB's in general, and I don't notice much difference in comparison to my apex pros as far as forgiveness goes in the short irons, and my distances are the same as well. Not that the callaways had much offset anyways, but these having even less in the only noticeable thing I have come across as far as performance, and with my miss being a pull, it's actually helped me lol.
[/quote]

Thanks for the feedback. I also have yet to own a set of MB's and am used to CB's put like the look of the King LTD CB's as they aren't exaggerated. I think the offset will be the main issue I will notice with this set compared to my current set up. These are definitely on my wish list for the upcoming season, but I'm airing to see what else is coming out in the next few months.

[quote name='Leftymoose' timestamp='1451326686' post='12772138'][quote name='Tcann32' timestamp='1451323174' post='12771884']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Thanks for the feedback. I also have yet to own a set of MB's and am used to CB's put like the look of the King LTD CB's as they aren't exaggerated. I think the offset will be the main issue I will notice with this set compared to my current set up. These are definitely on my wish list for the upcoming season, but I'm airing to see what else is coming out in the next few months.[/quote]

I was skeptical of mb's as well seeing as though I'm no pro lol. I wouldn't go past 7i in an mb for a combo for myself, but I'm confident in my ball striking from 7i on down so I decided to give them a shot. I love the soles on them most of all I think. They are certainly worth a shot, and after extensively demoing almost all other available options, I'm not disappointed in my decision. I spent 2 1/2 hrs with a gc2 over the weekend to go over the set and see my average distances etc and they didn't fall short of anything else I had tried. There were definitely "longer" options available, but every option that was longer had 3* less loft so it wasn't apples to apples. Forgiveness wise is tough to say.. There's more forgiving options as well, but that seemed to be paired with the loft "jacking" and anything with similar lofts reacted about the same as the Cobras. At best, a few clubs may have squeezed a couple more yards on a toe hit, but nothing I tried was saving you from losing 15 yards on a bad miss. I just haven't found it to be true to the stereotype of "if you hit outside of a nickel sized spot on the face you'll lost 100 yards" scenario. They actually spin more than my apex Pro's as well which helped on slight misses. There wasn't an instance in all the testing I did that made me think I shouldn't be hitting them. In the short clubs it was really a horse a piece between an MB and a players CB. The smaller heads are kinda confidence inspiring. It's like looking down at a wedge almost with all your clubs lol.

I'll post more feedback once I have some more time but I have a set of full CB's. When I looked at them the offset from 7i down is the same on the MB and CB. Only difference I can tell besides the cavity is the sole is slightly wider. I doubt there is must difference in forgiveness to be honest but I have not hit the MB so maybe there is. From address you would have to do a double take to tell which is which. While they are smaller heads I think the black makes them look smaller than they really are. Compared to my AP2's there was not as much difference in blade length as I originally thought.

[quote name='Tcann32' timestamp='1451328645' post='12772234']
[quote name='Leftymoose' timestamp='1451326686' post='12772138'][quote name='Tcann32' timestamp='1451323174' post='12771884']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Thanks for the feedback. I also have yet to own a set of MB's and am used to CB's put like the look of the King LTD CB's as they aren't exaggerated. I think the offset will be the main issue I will notice with this set compared to my current set up. These are definitely on my wish list for the upcoming season, but I'm airing to see what else is coming out in the next few months.[/quote]

I was skeptical of mb's as well seeing as though I'm no pro lol. I wouldn't go past 7i in an mb for a combo for myself, but I'm confident in my ball striking from 7i on down so I decided to give them a shot. I love the soles on them most of all I think. They are certainly worth a shot, and after extensively demoing almost all other available options, I'm not disappointed in my decision. I spent 2 1/2 hrs with a gc2 over the weekend to go over the set and see my average distances etc and they didn't fall short of anything else I had tried. There were definitely "longer" options available, but every option that was longer had 3* less loft so it wasn't apples to apples. Forgiveness wise is tough to say.. There's more forgiving options as well, but that seemed to be paired with the loft "jacking" and anything with similar lofts reacted about the same as the Cobras. At best, a few clubs may have squeezed a couple more yards on a toe hit, but nothing I tried was saving you from losing 15 yards on a bad miss. I just haven't found it to be true to the stereotype of "if you hit outside of a nickel sized spot on the face you'll lost 100 yards" scenario. They actually spin more than my apex Pro's as well which helped on slight misses. There wasn't an instance in all the testing I did that made me think I shouldn't be hitting them. In the short clubs it was really a horse a piece between an MB and a players CB. The smaller heads are kinda confidence inspiring. It's like looking down at a wedge almost with all your clubs lol.
[/quote]

Man, you can't play muscle-back irons with a 11 handicap! You'll shoot your eye out!! :) Nice sticks!

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

Callaway 2007 X-Forged 5-PW/ PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 / Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2.5+ 

Life is like riding a bicycle, to keep your balance you must keep moving

I've played the S3 Pro's for several years and now the Amp Cell Pro. I can hit both just fine, including the MB's in each set. I have days when I get a little lazy with my swing so I've decided to go with a full CB set of the King forged. According to Cobra, when I called them they told me the new King Forged were a little more forgiving than the S3's and a lot more forgiving than the amp cell pro's. Especially if I ordered a set of all CB's. I doubt the forgiveness differential is night and day but every little bit is welcomed. The more I think about it, I think I might go ahead and get the
8-PW in the MB.

Ping I3 4-PW
Ping Milled Anser #5

Down side to being a lefty is the lack of demo clubs available. I bought the S3 Pro's and Amp Cell pro's without even hitting them first and they are both GREAT clubs. So, I have a little faith and trust I guess you could say with Cobra. They make fantastic forged irons. For the life of me I can't figure out why more people don't play them. I guess it's a brand thing. Who knows. Their loss the way I see it. Not only do they look and feel great but they perform, and tend to be very easy to hit for small, forged clubs. I don't know what my handicap is but my avg scores are 78-84. What's kind of head scratching to me is the fact that before moving to the S3 Pro's I was using super game improvement irons. Never liked the look of them and always shot above the 90 mark. Some would say that when I made the move to the S3 pro's I had no business playing a club like that but once I did, I became a better iron player. My scores went down and I got better.

Ping I3 4-PW
Ping Milled Anser #5

i'm loving mine so far. i think I've lost a little forgiveness coming from the fly z pros, however i believe the feel of these irons is superior. for me i am hitting these about 5yards further on every club (give or take a yard). what I'm loving the most is my ability to shape shots, not necessarily left or right but the height. I've never felt in more control of my trajectory than i do now. i can put the ball in a window which has also helped my distance control form 150 in. i have no complaints with these clubs, i saved my fly z pros just in case these werent as good, but not only are they as good, they for me have been better. Better feel, flight, and looks.

Ping G430 LST 9* Graphite Design Tour AD-MT 6x
Ping G430 LST 13* Oban Devotion HB 75-05
Callaway Apex UW 19* Graphite Design Tour AD-MJ 8x
Mizuno CLK Black 22* Oban Kiyoshi Black 95-05
Ping Blueprint S 5-pw KBS Tour V 120x
Ping Glide 4.0 50* ss and 54*ss KBS Tour V 120x

Ping Glide Forged Pro 59* eye 2 KBS Tour V 120x 
Taylormade TP Reserve M21 Accra Sync 

I got 4-PW. Here is a simple black paint job over the orange on the PW.

Chose these over 716 MB/TMB/CB

Love the 7-PW

These were the first irons to be able to defeat my S55 with KBS Tour.

Might pull the KBS tour black from my S55

Anyone need 5-PW S55 heads?

Cobra F9 44.75” Daytona Speeder S.  
Cobra F9 3w Atmos Blue S 
Mizuno 5W JPX 900 Blue S
Titleist T100S w DG 105 4-PW

Miura K2.0 54, 60. SM9 black 50
Odyssey 7 ch