Cobra King LTD pro cb/mb irons

Techgolfer1

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Working on all gloss black right now...I'll post pics tomorrow when its light out, the lighting in my workshop isn't the greatest.

TM M1 460 9.5* Matrix BT 6M3 X
TM M1 15* Aldila Rogue Black X
Cobra King Pro MB 2-Pw C-taper 130 X
Callaway MD3 52* S Grind
Callaway MD3 58* S Grind
Odyssey MXM Versa #1

I love seeing these pictures. I love the color orange and I hesitate to remove it because it looks so cool in my orange and white H2NO bag. I can't wait to see what all black looks like.

Mini review:

A buddy of mine and I played 18 the other day. This is the first 18 I have played since I had my first child on Dec. 2nd. I have been getting out for 9 here and there, hitting balls and swinging in the house. I have been taking lessons making a few changes (getting hands higher in the back swing, releasing club better and getting the club out in front on the way down better and not stuck behind). I got the handicap down to a +5 at my home course this summer. I really played well and won a state event. I blew 3-4 tournaments because I wasn't driving the ball well and had not for a while. It cost me down the stretch because I didn't trust it or was playing out of deep rough. Changes needed to be made.

Well like any swing change you worry about will I be as good as I was? Will I get worse? Etc.. Thursday was my first full round with the cobras and it was awesome to see a few things coming together, but mainly it was a pleasure to hit these clubs. They have probably kicked the Ping i.e. irons out of the bag. I don't necessarily hit them better or worse really. I like them both but these are just so much better to look down on. The black finish is just sick man. I wish it lasted forever, but I must admit it appears relatively durable for what it is.

So on to Thursday... I have struggled with toe shots since I started the lessons. I am now hitting the center of the face basically every time (yes + handicaps miss on the face too and I am more one for my short game but I will get there with the ball striking). It is a good time to start because it is cold outside now. I hit one super skank shot on a par 3 that didn't deserve to get anywhere near where it did which was basically just rolling over the green. I made a bad bogey, but it was my only one as I went on to shoot a 67 with 16 greens hit, 10 fairways, and 29 putts. Yes I did putt well. I figure if you hit 16 greens, 32 putts is par and I was -3 on the greens. The exciting part was that I hit 16 greens! It has been a while since I have done that.

So I am really loving the stick so far. They feel incredible. I am a project x 6.0 guy and I cannot tell a difference at all in that and the c taper stiff. IMO its the same shaft and I may like the c taper better. Glad I didnt pay the $200 up charge on the PX.

So no regrets here guys. These are at the top of the list this year as best irons IMO. Don't be scared of them either. They are tiny, but have a lot of forgiveness built in. I would recommend them to a higher handicap and mainly a single digit.

I change too much to list it. Working on that...

Anyone tried these with PXi shafts? I actually hit mine (stock C-taper stiff) very nicely on the range yesterday but had trouble launching the 4 iron. Was very pleased with 7-P but have some PXi shafts lol. Considering a 4 iron reshaft and then go from there but also interested in experiences or opinions as to how the King-PXi combo might work.

Cobra Aerojet 10.5 +1.5 Mitsubishi Kai'li S
Cobra LTDx 5w PX Hzrdus green 5.5

Cobra King Utility 20.5 Elements Chrome S 20.5

Mizuno 243 5-P DG S200
Corey Paul 52, 56, 60 
Mizuno OMOI 3 black 35"
Emeritus set:  Mizuno MP20 HMB 5, MMC 6-8, MP 9-P KBS C-taper Lite R 

I really like the orange color but something has me wanting to tinker cause it's cold as hell. Has anyone just thought about taking all the paint out and going all black? Be pretty cool.

First couple pages of this thread there are a few examples.

I've done a few different things to see what I like best.

All Black

All black with lime green cobra symbol

All black with orange cobra symbol.

Most likely going to go with black shafts and matching ferrules to the paintfill.

Have a set of CB/MB's coming to me. I was going to get Fly-Z Pros but got these for a hell of a deal. CAN'T WAIT.

Callaway Paradym 10.5* - Ventus TR Red
Taylormade Stealth 2 Plus 15* - Fujikura Ventus Red
Taylormade Stealth Hybrid 19* - Fujikura Ventus Red
Titleist T200 2023 4-PW Nippon Modus 120
Taylormade MG3 50, 54, Hi-Toe 60
Taylormade Spider GT Max

Honestly this is how they should have came. It's to hard to get paintfill too look perfectly factory, especially where the orange line was. That line was to close to the cavity part and made it hard to fill completely in and was a pain to clean up.

Callaway MD3 52* S Grind
Callaway MD3 58* S Grind
Odyssey MXM Versa #1

Tee2Green,

Those look absolutely naughty. Well done. I will be copying your work sir! thanks for the pics. Black Bag and you are set. of course when you play that E9 and pull 7 instead of 9 on the last dark hole, you will be laughing.

Cobra F9 44.75” Daytona Speeder S.  
Cobra F9 3w Atmos Blue S 
Mizuno 5W JPX 900 Blue S
Titleist T100S w DG 105 4-PW

Miura K2.0 54, 60. SM9 black 50
Odyssey 7 ch 

I debated on paint filling them gloss back but leaving them raw just gave it the factory look. Love them!

Those look incredible!

LEFT HANDED

Titleist TSR3 with Metaflex 5H shaft (currently testing the Proxima 6 stiff shaft)
Titleist TSR2 16.5 degree fwy with Ventus Red 7 stiff shaft
Ping G430 19 and 22 degree hybrids with Ventus Blue HB 8 stiff shaft
Srixon ZX7 mkii 5-PW with Fuji Axiom 105 stiff shafts

Titleist SM9 50F, 54D, 58T wedge with Fuji Axiom 105 stiff shafts
L.A.B. MEZZ Max putter with LAGP putter shaft

I hit these for the first time the other day and I was amazed on the feel. They do look small at address and that's because of the black finish but wow, very solid set of irons. Like others have mentioned, I would definitely get rid of the orange, go all black.

I heard that they are coming out with a brushed chrome version around April. That has peaked my interest.

Zprime, looking forward to the pics.

Techgolfer, thanks for the quick review.

Ping G400 LST 8.5* w/ Tensei Pro White 70 TX
TM '17 M2 15* w/ Kurokage Dual Core 80 TX
TM P790 UDI 2 w/ KBS Tour 130x
Titleist 718 CB w/ KBS $ Taper 130x
Fourteen Raw RM 22 50, 54, 58 w/ KBS 610 Tour Black Nickel
Scotty Cameron Circle T Futura 6M[/b][/color][/font][/size][/font][/size]

I hit these for the first time the other day and I was amazed on the feel. They do look small at address and that's because of the black finish but wow, very solid set of irons. Like others have mentioned, I would definitely get rid of the orange, go all black.

I heard that they are coming out with a brushed chrome version around April. That has peaked my interest.

Zprime, looking forward to the pics.

Techgolfer, thanks for the quick review.

They are small and it's not just the black! I've got a set of Titleist 716 mbs and the blade lengths on the Cobras are a tad bit smaller. Surprisingly forgiving for as small as they are.

I change too much to list it. Working on that...

You guys have made them look great, paint fill or without. Ordered my lefty set, full CB set on Monday. Trying to decide on a new stand bag to go with them. Maybe the Titleist staff stand bag. Can't decide.

Cobra L4V 9 Degree (Old Faithful)
Callaway X2 Hot 15 Degree w/ Diamana Blueboard
Ping I3 4-PW
Titleist Vokey SM5 Wedges 54, 58. SM6 50
Ping Milled Anser #5
All in a Sun Mountain C-130S

Thanks guys! I've owned a lot of top notch bladed iron sets and the king pro mb's are up there with the best. It was a close race between the srixon 945's and these this year for me, but I couldnt pass down the set matching 2 iron with cobras new releases. If I didn't hit the c-taper 130x shafts so well I would have went black on black with the kbs tour customs black nickel, but the launch is much higher with that shaft. Cobra did a great job with their line up this year all around.

Callaway MD3 52* S Grind
Callaway MD3 58* S Grind
Odyssey MXM Versa #1

Yes I have multiple bags and this set looks amazing in an all black bag, but I tend to walk quite a bit and I just purchased the Bennington wfo stand bag with its quiet organizer and its amazing, no clanking at all and its very minimal in cart.

Callaway MD3 52* S Grind
Callaway MD3 58* S Grind
Odyssey MXM Versa #1

Citrus strip in the spray can is the quickest and cleanest way to remove the paint fill. Spray it on, leave it sit for 10 minutes and use a toothbrush. You can use painters tape with edge lock to stop it from leaking to a spot you don't want it. I'm doing my full set of mb's right now.

So does the spray mess up the black finish and need to be covered?

G400 lst digital loft at 9 playing at 8
G400 3w. Xtorsion Black 80tx
G400 5w. Ad-di 8x
20 and 24 ft worth hi
5-pw Miura BB with x100 ti
60 mack daddy forged
Nike 006 proto

Does anyone know if Cobra is going to make a new wedge or keep the tour trusty? I currently use Vokey's, something about the look of the tour trusty wedges didn't appeal to my eye but with all the new stuff they are releasing I was hoping to see a nice set of wedges.

Cobra L4V 9 Degree (Old Faithful)
Callaway X2 Hot 15 Degree w/ Diamana Blueboard
Ping I3 4-PW
Titleist Vokey SM5 Wedges 54, 58. SM6 50
Ping Milled Anser #5
All in a Sun Mountain C-130S

Cobra Golf's recent equipment unveiling at PGA National Resort and Spa centered around the King Ltd driver, but it wasn't the only product that was introduced. Cobra released two sets of irons — King Forged CB/MB Combo and King Forged Tec — that are geared for different players.

The King Forged CB/MB Combo set was designed for the TOUR player through three handicap golfer. Developed with feedback from Cobra staffer Rickie Fowler, the irons feature 1025 carbon steel and a five-step forging process that produces a more precise shape and aligned gain structure (the face and grooves are CNC milled for maximum spin and trajectory control).

Both the CB and MB have a co-forged tungsten weight in the toe of the club that positions the center of gravity (CG) closer to the center of the club face, delivering more forgiveness

The forged combo set comes in a "Diamonized" Black Metal (DBM) non-glare finish that, according to Cobra, is more durable than the standard PVD finish. The stock combo set is comprised of 3-6 (CB) and 7-PW (PW) and will be available Nov. 13 for $1,100 with KBS's Tour C-Taper shaft.

A full set of MB irons (right-handed only) will also be available through Cobra's custom department as well as full sets of CB irons (right- and left-handed). A chrome version of the CB/MB will be released in Feb. 2016.

Rickie Fowler confirmed during the product launch that he plans to put the King Forged MB irons in play at some point.

"I've always enjoyed the satin, matte black finish," Fowler said. "I've played wedges over the years like that, but to have a full set of irons is going to be fun. To look down at that, they're a cool looking club, and to me, looks are important. If you like what you're looking down at, it makes it that much easier to hit.

"I've done a bit of testing and they felt great. They're similar to what I'm currently playing with just some minor tweaks and improvements."

Cobra also created a King Forged Tec cavity-back model that's for the TOUR through 10 handicap golfer that wants more forgiveness and distance. The multi-material iron has the same five-step forging technology as the King Forged CB/MB Combo set along with a new high-strength J15 steel forged face insert that saves weight while boosting forgiveness and ball speeds.

To improve sound and feel, Cobra engineers added a Thermoplastic Urethane (TPU) insert that's positioned directly behind the impact zone, between the face and back cavity. In addition to improving sound and feel, the insert acts as a vibration dampening agent.

Tungsten heel-toe weights were also inserted in each iron head, lowering the center of gravity while increasing forgiveness and launch angle.

Cobra's King Forged Tec (3-PW or 4-GW) is available Nov. 13 and retails for $1,110 (steel) with a nickel chrome plating over forged 1025 carbon steel. The stock steel shaft offering is KBS's Tour C-Taper Lite.

1440769022893.jpg

http://www.pgatour.com/equipmentreport/2015/08/28/cobra-king-forged-irons.html

Chrome version

where's this come from? looks amazing. Cobra rep said he would know more about release date at the PGA show

Came from an email I received from DD

Titleist TSR3 10* Diamana GT 60
Titleist TSR3 15* Diamana GT 70
Titleist 816 H2 19* Fubuki AV400
Mizuno MP 241 Dynamic Gold Mid 115 S300
Mizuno T24 Raw 50.54,58 DGTI S400
Bettinardi SS28 Tour DASS