2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Bernhard Langer's new putting stroke (Merged)

Don L

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Make the putter max length 39"

Swinging the club from a fixed point should be illegal

Why 39"? How did you arrive at that number? Why the same max length for Tad Fujikawa and Phil Blackmar? There is about a foot and a half difference in their height.

I agree with tiger

Make the putter the shortest club in the bag and ban all anchoring

Mizuno ST190G atmos 6s
Mizuno MP18 2fh / PX 6.0
Mizuno MP18 3-Pw/ PX 6.0
Mizuno S18 5310+5812/PX 6.0
Ping TR Anser 1966/ 34”

Ball - pro v1x
Grips - Crossline cord

Lofts 18 , 21.5, 25, 29, 33, 37, 41, 45, 49, 53, 58

Why 39"? How did you arrive at that number? Why the same max length for Tad Fujikawa and Phil Blackmar? There is about a foot and a half difference in their height.

I agree with tiger

No need to make restrictions on putter length, except that I feel as if they should be the same as the other clubs (48'). If the issue is anchoring, then just ban anchoring. Oh wait, they already did.

Besides 39" would not make it the shortest club in the bag nor would it curb anchoring at all. A short player can still anchor a 32" club. Tiger could be the greatest player of all time, but not always the smartest. That suggestion he made was arbitrary and misguided insofar as the issue at hand is concerned

run of the mill driver with stock shaft
a couple of outdated hybrids
shovel-ier shovels
wedges from same shovel company
some putter with a dead insert and
a hideous grip

I agree with tiger

No need to make restrictions on putter length, except that I feel as if they should be the same as the other clubs (48'). If the issue is anchoring, then just ban anchoring. Oh wait, they already did.

Besides 39" would not make it the shortest club in the bag nor would it curb anchoring at all. A short player can still anchor a 32" club. Tiger could be the greatest player of all time, but not always the smartest. That suggestion he made was arbitrary and misguided insofar as the issue at hand is concerned

You really need to stop debating using common sense. It just isn't fair... :-)

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

This style is specifically mentioned by the USGA as being legal so it's a non-issue. I think that if you are going to ban anchoring (which I don't think they should have, but that's another story) the Kuchar/Langer method should be included in the ban. It takes the wrist totally out of the stroke. In what other shot is that the case?

How is it a loophole or against the spirit of the rule when it's expressly allowed?

A loophole is an ambiguity or inadequacy in a system, such as a law or security, which can be used to circumvent or otherwise avoid the intent, implied or explicitly stated, of the system. Loopholes are searched for and used strategically in a variety of circumstances, including taxes, elections, politics, the criminal justice system, or in breaches of security, or a response to one's civil liberties. Loopholes are distinct from lacunae, although the two terms are often used interchangeably.

I see nothing ambiguous or inadequate about either procedure, long putter away from his body or grip resting on his forearm. He is using something expressly stated as legal, not circumventing anything, and following the intent of the rule to the letter. You and others simply don't like the way it looks. Others calling him a cheater are simply ill informed...

Excellent Posts Bro!!

I hope that you're well and feeling better :)

Have a great week!!

Fairways & Greens 4ever My Friend,

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

langer1.jpg

This picture is quite a few years old

1993 but it is essentially the grip he is using.

The funniest thing about that, is that it's called the "Kuchar Grip" like people forgot that Langer used it for 6 or 7 years. At any rate, I was and still am against the rule change, but seeing what they are trying to accomplish, it seems that this grip is not contrary to that goal. They mentioned that part of the challenge of golf is keeping the free swinging arms in control. This doesn;t affect the arms, but yes the wrists.

In my opinion, this grip may be nicely suited for average to slightly longer than average lengths, but I don't think the rigidity of it does any favors for putts that are long, or on slow/wet greens. This is totally a bare bones assessment just from thought and I haven't tested anything out.

Also I'd like to say that is/was a highly contested topic and in responding to another poster, I am not trying to sound like I don't respect anyone's contrary opinion, because I absolutely do. Everyone has strong feelings and sometimes I try to get behind the reason for them so that I can upgrade my own thinking. Prior threads on this topic definitely taught me a thing or two about others view of the challenges of the game. But hey, sometimes "because that's just how I feel" is fair enough!

run of the mill driver with stock shaft
a couple of outdated hybrids
shovel-ier shovels
wedges from same shovel company
some putter with a dead insert and
a hideous grip

How is it a loophole or against the spirit of the rule when it's expressly allowed?

A loophole is an ambiguity or inadequacy in a system, such as a law or security, which can be used to circumvent or otherwise avoid the intent, implied or explicitly stated, of the system. Loopholes are searched for and used strategically in a variety of circumstances, including taxes, elections, politics, the criminal justice system, or in breaches of security, or a response to one's civil liberties. Loopholes are distinct from lacunae, although the two terms are often used interchangeably.

I see nothing ambiguous or inadequate about either procedure, long putter away from his body or grip resting on his forearm. He is using something expressly stated as legal, not circumventing anything, and following the intent of the rule to the letter. You and others simply don't like the way it looks. Others calling him a cheater are simply ill informed...

Excellent Posts Bro!!

I hope that you're well and feeling better :)

Have a great week!!

Fairways & Greens 4ever My Friend,

RP

Thank you my friend!

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

langer1.jpg

The funniest thing about that, is that it's called the "Kuchar Grip" like people forgot that Langer used it for 6 or 7 years. At any rate, I was and still am against the rule change, but seeing what they are trying to accomplish, it seems that this grip is not contrary to that goal. They mentioned that part of the challenge of golf is keeping the free swinging arms in control. This doesn;t affect the arms, but yes the wrists.

In my opinion, this grip may be nicely suited for average to slightly longer than average lengths, but I don't think the rigidity of it does any favors for putts that are long, or on slow/wet greens. This is totally a bare bones assessment just from thought and I haven't tested anything out.

Also I'd like to say that is/was a highly contested topic and in responding to another poster, I am not trying to sound like I don't respect anyone's contrary opinion, because I absolutely do. Everyone has strong feelings and sometimes I try to get behind the reason for them so that I can upgrade my own thinking. Prior threads on this topic definitely taught me a thing or two about others view of the challenges of the game. But hey, sometimes "because that's just how I feel" is fair enough!

Since the Langer grip is essentially the left hand low version of the Kuchar grip, it should be known as the Langer grip.

He won a major with it for goodness sake.

langer1.jpg

Since the Langer grip is essentially the left hand low version of the Kuchar grip, it should be know as the Langer grip.

Soren Kjeldsen has used this grip for years on tour as well.

langer1.jpg

Since the Langer grip is essentially the left hand low version of the Kuchar grip, it should be know as the Langer grip.

Does Kuchar Grab the grip and his left arm with his right hand?

Why the rule wasn't changed to be "the only part of your body that can touch a golf club of any sort is your hands" is beyond me

would have made everything so much clearer and absolutely no grey area

Sounds good. Would it be a 1 or 2 stroke penalty when your neck or shoulders touch the club on the follow through? Or straight up DQ?

Why the rule wasn't changed to be "the only part of your body that can touch a golf club of any sort is your hands" is beyond me

Sounds good. Would it be a 1 or 2 stroke penalty when your neck or shoulders touch the club on the follow through? Or straight up DQ?

I would assume you have already hit the ball when the club touches your neck or shoulders, dont think it matters what you do after you have struck the ball!

I would assume you have already hit the ball when the club touches your neck or shoulders, dont think it matters what you do after you have struck the ball!

Assume, think? So.... A grey area?

The word "assume" was meant in a sarcastic way if you couldn't tell

And yes i do think it doesn't matter what you do with the club after you have hit the ball.

The word "assume" was meant in a sarcastic way if you couldn't tell

And yes i do think it doesn't matter what you do with the club after you have hit the ball.

How about the guys anchoring the broom sticks? Only thing that touches the club is the hands. The left hand is touches, and is anchored to the body. Pretty wide grey area?

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

"And yes i do think it doesn't matter what you do with the club after you have hit the ball."

I can hand it to a person who is not my caddie and have them carry up to the green while my caddie carries the rest of the bag?

For a guy wanting to extinguish grey areas you sure do create a lot of them.

"And yes i do think it doesn't matter what you do with the club after you have hit the ball."

I can hand it to a person who is not my caddie and have them carry up to the green while my caddie carries the rest of the bag?

For a guy wanting to extinguish grey areas you sure do create a lot of them.

lol i am?? what the hell has handing someone the club got to do with anything? your not making a shot or stroke???

Your proposed rule so far is "the only part of your body that can touch the club during a stroke is your hands. It does not matter what you do with the club after you hit the ball."

Grey areas far and wide. Can do whatever you want with a club after contact (see above). Having 2 caddies has ZERO to do with an anchored stroke. But you just allowed it, maybe, with a grey area by saying it doesn't matter what you do with a club after contact. You have also allowed someone to anchor the putter against their chest as long as their hand is between the grip and their chest.

Your proposed rule so far is "the only part of your body that can touch the club during a stroke is your hands. It does not matter what you do with the club after you hit the ball."

Grey areas far and wide. Can do whatever you want with a club after contact (see above). Having 2 caddies has ZERO to do with an anchored stroke. But you just allowed it, maybe, with a grey area by saying it doesn't matter what you do with a club after contact. You have also allowed someone to anchor the putter against their chest as long as their hand is between the grip and their chest.

We are talking about bernhard langers putting stroke/grip, at no point have i mentioned caddies??

And since anchoring the putter is already banned, how is my idea allowing anchored putters?

We are talking about bernhard langers grip and if its a grey area, if they included that the putter can only be touched by the hands and no other part of the body, that would clear that "Grey area" in my opinion

We are talking about bernhard langers putting stroke/grip, at no point have i mentioned caddies??

And since anchoring the putter is already banned, how is my idea allowing anchored putters?

We are talking about bernhard langers grip and if its a grey area, if they included that the putter can only be touched by the hands and no other part of the body, that would clear that "Grey area" in my opinion

I am aware we aren't talking about caddies, but you are talking about eliminating grey areas. You created one with your rule about doing whatever you want with a club after contact. You created that to clear up the grey area about any body part besides hands touching a club. If your rule is simply only hands, anchoring would be ok if the putter doesn't touch the chest. Grey area again. All of this because you think Langher falls in a grey area, but the usga actually specifically allowed his method, eliminating the grey area. So you created several grey areas in order to clear up something that was actually crystal clear. People who think so many grey areas exist in golf don't actually take the time to read the rules and decisions books. They operate on internet hearsay or what they overhear on the practice green.

I completely agreed with you until now. You previously posted in post #43 above "Why the rule wasn't changed to be "the only part of your body that can touch a golf club of any sort is your hands is beyond me

would have made everything so much clearer and absolutely no grey area "

That implies you are suggesting that would have been enough verbiage to disallow anchoring. So your statement/rule was all that was needed. I thought that was pretty good until golfandfishing pointed out above that you could hold the club with just the hands but anchor the hand to the body.

Titleist TSR4 9° Tensei AV White 65

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TSR3 24° Diamana Ahina

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

I agree with tiger

The typical pro, including Tiger, has his hands closer to the ball on a 30 yard pitch than a 3 foot putt because in putting their arms are bent.

Putter is still okay and it is not anchored

Titleist TSR4 9° Tensei AV White 65

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TSR3 24° Diamana Ahina

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar