Fishing

Warrick

We just booked 4 days up at Leech Lake in Minnesota for the week after the opener I have been going since I was a kid and we got away from it for a while, but my uncle retired recently and bought a sweet new Lund for gettin after the walleye. The 4 of us that normally play golf together will head up Saturday night, fish Sunday-Wednesday, then drive home Thursday for a 4 day golf match Friday-Monday (does not get any better).

Anyone else like to drag some bait or toss some spoons?

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

TSR3 24 AV Blue X-Link 75
T150 6-G PX LZ
SM9 52/12/F-56/10/S TI S200 
Toulon Portland Garage 
ProV1x

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now here is a topic I can blab all day about. OP, wait a sec, you're bringing a boat to fish in Minnesota in Feb??? Please explain...

I fish for everything in my area. Largemouth, smallies, browns, brooks, rainbows, flounder, weakies, but my fave is STRIPERS. I use my 17' kayak like a jeep - I can paddle up to 10 mi in pursuit of those beautiful fish.

My thing is big browns and small brookies!

DT, those are beautiful big browns. I know you didn't get them in MD (or did you?). After going after stripers in my kayak, my next love is hunting native brookies in small creeks here in Jersey. Most people don't even know that there is now an abundance of them in small brooks and streams in the hilly areas of NW Jersey. This is a great testament to the environmental movement and rebound over the last 20 years. I use micro spinning tackle, and they are of no food value, but man are they pretty fish!

PS, if you're in Bowie MD you live very close to some prime striper territory, do you partake?

Now here is a topic I can blab all day about. OP, wait a sec, you're bringing a boat to fish in Minnesota in Feb??? Please explain...

I fish for everything in my area. Largemouth, smallies, browns, brooks, rainbows, flounder, weakies, but my fave is STRIPERS. I use my 17' kayak like a jeep - I can paddle up to 10 mi in pursuit of those beautiful fish.

No, we booked our trip for opening walleye season,(mid-May).

My father in law runs a guide service in PA for Stripers. The first time he took me out, caught a 18 and a 23 within 90 minutes.

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

TSR3 24 AV Blue X-Link 75
T150 6-G PX LZ
SM9 52/12/F-56/10/S TI S200 
Toulon Portland Garage 
ProV1x

DT, those are beautiful big browns. I know you didn't get them in MD (or did you?). After going after stripers in my kayak, my next love is hunting native brookies in small creeks here in Jersey. Most people don't even know that there is now an abundance of them in small brooks and streams in the hilly areas of NW Jersey. This is a great testament to the environmental movement and rebound over the last 20 years. I use micro spinning tackle, and they are of no food value, but man are they pretty fish!

PS, if you're in Bowie MD you live very close to some prime striper territory, do you partake?

East TN are where both the Browns and Brooks are from. Grew up fishing small water in WV and that's where my small water love came from.

I'll still float the New River for smallies and we make a Lake Erie trip every year for Walleye, but I'd much rather throw on some waders and hit the low water.

I am in Bowie, I'm all too familiar with Rock Fish as I am a MD Game-warden (NRP). It's a good time, but not my "go to".

TM TI M2 - Yellow HZRDUS HC 6.5
XR16 5w - Speeder 757
Taylormade CB 3-AW
Vokey 254, 258
Taylormade Spider Tour Black

East TN are where both the Browns and Brooks are from. Grew up fishing small water in WV and that's where my small water love came from.

I'll still float the New River for smallies and we make a Lake Erie trip every year for Walleye, but I'd much rather throw on some waders and hit the low water.

I am in Bowie, I'm all too familiar with Rock Fish as I am a MD Game-warden (NRP). It's a good time, but not my "go to".

You're a MD warden? Awesome. Thank you for your service.

I have been wanting to do some paddling for stripes on the Susky flats for some time now. How is their health in the Chesapeake these days?

I have been wanting to do some paddling for stripes on the Susky flats for some time now. How is their health in the Chesapeake these days?

Thanks man.

The Chesapeake is one if not the best Rock/Striper fisheries anywhere. Pretty much non stop the entire year (in season obviously). When they "run" it's stupid how easy it can be.

XR16 5w - Speeder 757
Taylormade CB 3-AW
Vokey 254, 258

Thanks man.

The Chesapeake is one if not the best Rock/Striper fisheries anywhere. Pretty much non stop the entire year (in season obviously). When they "run" it's stupid how easy it can be.

I know I can look it up, but when is the season closed for the spawning run?

Goose, those are nice bucketmouths, but, you look like you're standing on top of saltwater?

The Chesapeake is a brackish tidal estuary. The big one was caught at the Bay Bridge, and the largemouth were caught literally in the background of the photo. My folks live about 30 miles north of the bridge.

Depending on the amount of rainwater we get in a season, I've caught species ranging from crappie and chain pickerel through 20-25" bluefish in the Upper Bay.

TSR2 8*, Ventus TR Red 7x

TSi2 15*, Diamana BF 80TX

TSR2 18°, Atmos TS Blue HB 8x 
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 21°, Recoil 110

MP-20 MMC  5-P, DG X100
SM8 50F, 54S, 58M (X7 "spinners")
Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

Goose, those are nice bucketmouths, but, you look like you're standing on top of saltwater?

The Chesapeake is a brackish tidal estuary. The big one was caught at the Bay Bridge, and the largemouth were caught literally in the background of the photo. My folks live about 30 miles north of the bridge.

Depending on the amount of rainwater we get in a season, I've caught species ranging from crappie and chain pickerel through 20-25" bluefish in the Upper Bay.

That's kind of crazy, being able to catch stripers and largemouth in one trip. You're talking the rt 50 bridge, right? So that would make the Susky flats pretty much fresh water. I would guess then that stripers actually lay their eggs just a little north of there around the rt 95 bridge? I'm not trying to get or give away any secrets, just trying to understand the dynamics of the upper Chesapeake...

beautiful brookies

I fish many streams like those in WV

Used to go over to Castleman's when I was at WVU

Thanks man, I grew up fishing the central WV brook trout waters. Sadly, many of them have become over fished or the populations have taken huge hits from old mining pond wash outs / chemical spills, etc. Still some beautiful water, woods, and fish.

XR16 5w - Speeder 757
Taylormade CB 3-AW
Vokey 254, 258

That's kind of crazy, being able to catch stripers and largemouth in one trip. You're talking the rt 50 bridge, right? So that would make the Susky flats pretty much fresh water. I would guess then that stripers actually lay their eggs just a little north of there around the rt 95 bridge? I'm not trying to get or give away any secrets, just trying to understand the dynamics of the upper Chesapeake...

If you look at a map of the Chesapeake around MD, you will see all the massive freshwater rivers that dump into it: Patapsco, Patomac, Susquehana, Gunpowder, etc. Rocks can be caught during their spawn miles above the "Tidal Fisheries" mark. It is pretty awesome pulling in a "freshwater" rockfish in a small river well north of the bay.

Seasons are calculated every year. Usually, it is mid-late fall through mid May that are Catch and Release only.

XR16 5w - Speeder 757
Taylormade CB 3-AW
Vokey 254, 258

Yeah, up in the Susquehanna they spawn. In the spring, the real hogs are in the Lower Bay which is trophy season. Sometime late summer, the whole Bay starts running in spurts and when the water cools down they start gorging for winter. Like DT says, it is flat out stupid- we're talking leaving the mouth of a river on a boat, and within your sightline you'll see a handful of different schools of fish crashing bait on the surface. Topwater, jigging, trollling, it all works. My dad and I went out Halloween morning and caught our limit within 40 minutes.

MP-20 MMC  5-P, DG X100
Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

That settles it. This spring I'm going. Thinking of camping and launching out of Elk Neck SP

Elk Neck is one of the better MD Parks as well, so that is a good choice.

Not sure how you go about it, but "live-lining" is the most fun way of fishing rocks that I have tried. My buddy who is also with the agency is a lifelong waterman. It is the only way he does it. We go out and catch small fist sized Spot, then live fish with them. Plus, you get double the time behind the reel. (Behind the rod or pole were leaving me too open).

XR16 5w - Speeder 757
Taylormade CB 3-AW
Vokey 254, 258

That settles it. This spring I'm going. Thinking of camping and launching out of Elk Neck SP

Not sure how you go about it, but "live-lining" is the most fun way of fishing rocks that I have tried. My buddy who is also with the agency is a lifelong waterman. It is the only way he does it. We go out and catch small fist sized Spot, then live fish with them. Plus, you get double the time behind the reel. (Behind the rod or pole were leaving me too open).

Yeah, if you said you had more time on your pole I would have said something ;-)

Fishing out of a kayak has always limited my live bait abilities. If you use a bucket over the side, you have to pull it up every time you paddle up to a new drift. I'm looking into getting a small battery powered cooler/aerator that would just barely fit between my feet in the cockpit. (I refuse to paddle one of those sit on top bathtubs which can carry a truckload of stuff, but will give you a cardiac if you try to paddle more than 1 mile - I like to have the ability to paddle fast and far in pursuit of prey.) I'm also looking into using an anchor so I can cast/retrieve, although I have heard using an anchor with yaks can be dangerous.

Yeah, if you said you had more time on your pole I would have said something ;-)

Fishing out of a kayak has always limited my live bait abilities. If you use a bucket over the side, you have to pull it up every time you paddle up to a new drift. I'm looking into getting a small battery powered cooler/aerator that would just barely fit between my feet in the cockpit. (I refuse to paddle one of those sit on top bathtubs which can carry a truckload of stuff, but will give you a cardiac if you try to paddle more than 1 mile - I like to have the ability to paddle fast and far in pursuit of prey.) I'm also looking into using an anchor so I can cast/retrieve, although I have heard using an anchor with yaks can be dangerous.

I checked a guy last year who had an insanely awesome pedal paddle system. Kayak was built for the sole purpose of fishing and it takes away the true kayak fishing, but it was awesome. Light enough to move on your own and throw in the truck, but hands were always free and you used the legs for propulsion.

Never thought about not being able to keep bait fish, that makes perfect sense. The only time I could imaging a anchor being an issue is if you are in any significant current.

XR16 5w - Speeder 757
Taylormade CB 3-AW
Vokey 254, 258

Love this, more pics!

Cool. From about 15 years ago:

1098242_749659018380277_1981873553_n.jpg?oh=6eda7cebf802e167f96fcfb6cf8a9611&oe=57288664

And recent:

Here's what they were eating. 5" Storm shad for reference:

12195906_10104110792884958_5878324247517133866_n.jpg?oh=7d7b4c57f457b5d8b7934e11c51fb4fb&oe=57340B29

MP-20 MMC  5-P, DG X100
Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

Been tooo long since I was fishin.

People dont know, but if you know where to go and what to do, there are some great largemouth bass spots in NY. Not even way upstate, just 20, 30 miles from the city.

Small lakes, small, even pond size but there are some smart 5 or 6 pound bass (nice for NY!) that never been caught that if you got skills, you can have a blast.

Like, there was this spot, nobody went to, I mean nobody knows how to fish bassies in NY, I dont think but you could go with very light gear, like 4lb or 6lb test and delicate lures and topwater and catch crazy, leaping bassies, lots of 2, 3 pounders.

I went myself on my birthday morning and, man, this load of a bass just bent the pole,

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!

Goes the drag, down, down, then....

Levels off and starts climbing, climbing, Im taking slack it coming to the surface

Crash! Up, up, into the air!

brought it in, 22 inches, must have been 6 lbs

Man, thats living.

Let em all go, of course.

Gotta do some fishing ; )