Life of a Conditional Web.com Member

GolfingBro

Awesome thread for us wanna-be's. Thanks for taking the time to share your experiences and good luck, hope you make it on the big Tour.

Ping G430 Max 9* Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6X
Ping G425 Max 14.5 Alta CB 65S
Callaway Rogue ST Max 18* Tensei Blue 75S

PXG 0211 XCOR2 5-GW
Titleist SM9  52*F 56*D and 60*D
L.A.B. Link1/Scotty Newport
Srixon Z Star XV

Good luck and go grab the bull by the horns and kick him in the giblets.

Next time you are up around campus (Nike not Davis) say hi and I'll buy you a beer.

Giblets!!

I like that Bro :)

Aggs and Maddie always tell me that "stones" is so, well, gouache and uncouthe, so giblets and gibletless it'll be :)

Thanks much :)

Have a nice weekend!!

All the Best,

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

Careful on sharing too much info regarding your Nike contract. My two cents. Cheers

He knows and is well aware :)

My .01 :)

Have a great day!!

Fairways & Greens My Friend,

Richard

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

Matt,

Wish I had some brilliance to share. All I can say, is after reading your moms posts here, that make certain you

Let her know how great she is, you're a lucky kid!

I had great parents, married an incredible women, and what little success I saw, would not have happened without their

Support as well as many others.

Trust your instincts, and learn to enjoy the struggles, they teach you volumes.

Great Post Bro!!

I'll never forget one of your earlier posts and it was in Tour section and it was one of those "I'm a scratch and what do I have to do to get to the Tour" threads and you had made a statement and gave some great advice regarding Practice and Tourneys and this Putz(not the OP) responded and said that he didn't feel that that was necessarily the correct way, LMAO

Ah Bro, I was Laughin so hard one of the nurses asked me what was so funny and I explained to her and as she wasn't a golfer, it didn't sink in so I changed directions and said to think if a guy posted on a board "I have a 4.0 I'm undergrad and wanna be a surgeon. How do I get there," and a surgeon responded telling the gent how to go about it and some jerk-off from the gallery disagrees and says, "nah, I don't think that's the way," LMAO

Well, that obviously hit home cuz she smiled and said "boy, what a dick," LMAO

And you handled his response like the Pro that you are :)

Anyhoo, your stories are Platinum!!

Have a nice season My Friend,

RP

Matt,

In regards to mini tour play, how much would you estimate it costs the average guy annually, with no sponsor? (Entry fees, travel, lodging, food, etc). Also, what do those guys do for work while traveling the country in pursuit of the dream? Trust funds? Caddy gigs? Knitting quilts to sell on Etsy? Thanks man!

Matt,

In regards to mini tour play, how much would you estimate it costs the average guy annually, with no sponsor? (Entry fees, travel, lodging, food, etc). Also, what do those guys do for work while traveling the country in pursuit of the dream? Trust funds? Caddy gigs? Knitting quilts to sell on Etsy? Thanks man!

Mat,

If you make it to Augusta one day, and still need a financial 'boost'. I'll pay you handsomely for the biggest divot you can manage........

Play well :good:

PING - G20 - 9.5  degree - Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue - X
BRIDGESTONE J33 (15) - Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue - X
MIZUNO Fli-Hi (17+20) - Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue - X
PING  ZING2 Irons (4-PW) - Black Lie angle - JZ Stiff
CALLAWAY MD3 Black (52+58 deg) DG Pro: S300
RIFE Iconic Three Putter -  343g  / 34.5" / 68 Deg 

TAYLORMADE TP5-X Yellow << 2021 Version >>

Regards "Shuv" : sevenfourate's WITB LINK (Click right here):

Can you talk us through your practice routines? I've enjoyed following Malnati's detailed blog regarding how he trains.

TI Taylormade SIM (9.0°) Tensei CK Pro Orange 70TX
TI Taylormade SIM Ti (15.4°) Tensei CK Pro Blue 80X
Callaway XR Pro (20°) Diamana White 90X
PING i210 (4i-UW) DG X100
Ping Glide 2.0 (54°) DG S400 TI
Artisan MT Grind (58°) DG S400
Taylormade Spider X Chalk SS

Taylormade TP5

Hi everyone, I am new to this board but from some encouragement from others I thought I would share what the journey I am on is like. There seems to be a good amount of interest in following young pro golfers such as @300_yards current thread in Asia..

Some of you may have seen the Canadian tour thread over the summer, my mom who is @Agatha on here was active on there.

Anyway a bit about my background, I knew from a very young age that I wanted to be a professional golfer, it was my dream so set my goals early and worked to achieve them. I was fortunate enough to get to play D1 golf at UC Davis where I was able to not only get my degree in Economics but also play some amazing courses, and had 4 years to develop my game at a high level. Because of a decent amount of success in college and as an amateur I was able to get a contract with Nike. Nike clubs and gear has become top of line in the past few years and they treat all of the players on staff great. I can go into specifics later on the equipment I play. I have had the same swing coach since freshman year of high school, his name is Don Parsons, he is in Goleta and is a great instructor. He was on Morning drive this week as he is a lead instructor as well with the golf channel academy.

First Year as a Pro: Aug '14 to Aug '15:

I decided to play high level amateur golf the summer after senior year at Davis and turned pro in August of 2014. I played one tournament before web.com Q school that year. Q school I breezed thru pre qual and eked thru stage 1, stage 2 was where I got knocked out. I played some mini tour events to work on my game and actually won a decent amount of money so that was nice. I went to Argentina and did Latin American Q school but came up short. So back to more mini tour stuff for awhile. In spring I went thru Canadian tour Q school (now called the MacKenzie tour) and was successful in getting my card. I spent the summer on the tour and played all the events but 1. I guess I had an okay rookie year but I missed keeping my card by $900 Canadian which was frustrating. I missed 4 cuts by 1 stroke, that was rough.

So back to web.com Q school in Sept.. I did not have to pre qual this year and made it all the way Q School Finals in Florida. I did not have my A game at finals and finished T110 out of the 156.

I can post more about what conditional status really means if there is interest in knowing.

My plan is to continue to compete on some of the mini tour events as well as try to Monday for Northern Trust and I plan to go back to Louisiana for a web.com Monday qualifier. I am signed up for Canadian Q school again and that will take place in April.

If anyone has any questions I would be happy to answer and if there is interest I will come on here and post updates as well.

Hang in there. I played for 2 years hardcore in Florida years back, with some success, and a lot of "by 1 or 2 shots".....I know what you are going through, and how hard it is at times........

This is the upcoming Monday Qualifier.. To give you all an idea of how many guys try to get in, there were 5 pre qualifiers last week, each of those fields had 88-90 per site. Each site had 4-6 or so advance to the official Monday qualifier. There are about 150 in the field this upcoming Monday and there are 4 spots, no ties. So basically your looking at over 500 players trying for 4 spots in the end.

You might recognize some names on the list of players in the Monday field. It is a nice advantage to get to bypass the prequalifying stage. Matthews friend played one last week, shot -4 and didn't make it thru the pre..

https://scpga.bluegolf.com/bluegolf/scpga16/event/scpga1630/index.htm

Here is a link to the page that has the pre qualifiers..

https://scpga.bluegolf.com/bluegolf/scpga16/event/scpga1630/index.htm

To be eligible to do the pre qual- Professionals and Amateurs with a handicap index when applied to the qualifying course slope will generate a handicap of two (2) or less. The SCPGA reserves the right to verify the handicap index of amateurs and to refuse anyone not meeting the requirements

This is really fascinating stuff - a great insight into how tough it is to break through, the size and quality of you guys fighting just to get to a Monday Qual.

One thing I note - the support Nike and other companies giving to you guys, really good stuff. I always seen Nike as the corporate money grabbers - clearly iv been wrong.

Followed your progress last season on the Canadian tour thanks to Aggs, Richard and the PGA app.

You've got the talent and a great team - there is nothing to stop you going the whole way - good luck to you Matt. Fairways and greens and 1 putts ;)

Amazing. Best thread on here imo.

I love the first hand insights from mom and Matt.

Love it!

Titleist Ts2 10.5* GD DI 6x
Titliest 915 5w 18* GD DI 7x
Callaway Apex 23*h Oban Devotion 
Callaway Apex 26*h GD DI 85x
Srixon 785 6-PW Nippon 105 Modus
Titleist SM7 50*, 54*, 58* Nippon 115 Modus 
Odyssey #7 Plumber Neck 
2018 Taylormade tp5

https://www.instagram.com/benzoducky/ 

This is the upcoming Monday Qualifier.. To give you all an idea of how many guys try to get in, there were 5 pre qualifiers last week, each of those fields had 88-90 per site. Each site had 4-6 or so advance to the official Monday qualifier. There are about 150 in the field this upcoming Monday and there are 4 spots, no ties. So basically your looking at over 500 players trying for 4 spots in the end.

You might recognize some names on the list of players in the Monday field. It is a nice advantage to get to bypass the prequalifying stage. Matthews friend played one last week, shot -4 and didn't make it thru the pre..

https://scpga.bluego...a1630/index.htm

To be eligible to do the pre qual- Professionals and Amateurs with a handicap index when applied to the qualifying course slope will generate a handicap of two (2) or less. The SCPGA reserves the right to verify the handicap index of amateurs and to refuse anyone not meeting the requirements

Geez, that line right there sums up how tough it really is.

M2, maybe
915 FD
913 HD
712u 3
714 AP2 4-p
SM5 53, 59
Circa62

Matt,

COSTS Mini Tours:

Min Tour events consist of State Opens as well and entry fees range from $400-1500. Lodging is 4-5 nights depending how many practice rounds or how far away the event is and that cost can be $60-150 a night depending how nice a place you want to stay at. (I go for the cheapest hotels...my mom is not a fan of it but it saves me money) Travel if driving can range 200-1500 mile round trip and that cost depends on gas prices and mpg of the car you are driving. Travel if flying can be 250-450 round trip depending how far the tournament is and how far ahead you book the flight: if you are flying then you have to get a rental car and that costs about $50-80 per day. Food costs on average about $11 per meal X3=$33 per day......COST SAVING TIP......find hotels with hot breakfast, buy lunch items (meat/other lunch items) at grocery store and bring to the course.........Practice rounds range from $30-80 depending on the course, and some tournaments include practice round with entry fee.

Given all of these costs for one event that is 900 entry fee, 80 dollar hotel (4 nights), 25 bucks a day for food, 60 dollars for gas, 40 practice round:

Driving: 900+320+100+60+40=$1,420

Flying: 900+320+100+(flight 300)+(rental car 250)+40=$1,910

These estimates are for ONE mini tour event and it is very approximate costs since as you can see there are many variables to take into account. I have a spreadsheet of my golf expenses for 1 entire year.

Most players have some support from family members or close friends. If they do not then they work for certain months out of the year to save up and then play some tournaments in a row and hopefully use any winnings towards getting into the next event.

Holy guacamole, I had no idea how many established pro's, some with Tour wins even, went through Monday qualifiers. I'm assuming a few of them on a very regular basis.

Fairways & Greens, Pins & Cups My Friend :)

My Best,

Richard

Phillip Mac Ogrady ??? is this HIMSELF ?

Can you talk us through your practice routines? I've enjoyed following Malnati's detailed blog regarding how he trains.

I can give you details on what I do and maybe even some pictures of my ghetto made yardage book, possibly tomorrow.

I'm very interested in seeing the yardage books! I have just recently started to create me own but need some more fine tuning.

Matt,

COSTS Mini Tours:

Min Tour events consist of State Opens as well and entry fees range from $400-1500. Lodging is 4-5 nights depending how many practice rounds or how far away the event is and that cost can be $60-150 a night depending how nice a place you want to stay at. (I go for the cheapest hotels...my mom is not a fan of it but it saves me money) Travel if driving can range 200-1500 mile round trip and that cost depends on gas prices and mpg of the car you are driving. Travel if flying can be 250-450 round trip depending how far the tournament is and how far ahead you book the flight: if you are flying then you have to get a rental car and that costs about $50-80 per day. Food costs on average about $11 per meal X3=$33 per day......COST SAVING TIP......find hotels with hot breakfast, buy lunch items (meat/other lunch items) at grocery store and bring to the course.........Practice rounds range from $30-80 depending on the course, and some tournaments include practice round with entry fee.

Given all of these costs for one event that is 900 entry fee, 80 dollar hotel (4 nights), 25 bucks a day for food, 60 dollars for gas, 40 practice round:

Driving: 900+320+100+60+40=$1,420

Flying: 900+320+100+(flight 300)+(rental car 250)+40=$1,910

These estimates are for ONE mini tour event and it is very approximate costs since as you can see there are many variables to take into account. I have a spreadsheet of my golf expenses for 1 entire year.

Most players have some support from family members or close friends. If they do not then they work for certain months out of the year to save up and then play some tournaments in a row and hopefully use any winnings towards getting into the next event.

We have a couple guys in my area that are trying to get to where you are with sponsor money from manufacturers, but for the time being are being backed by local guys who have the money or have the belief that it's a sound investment. They have had to put expenses down to show their investment group and the numbers are high considering what the purse money is for some of the minitours. A guy who I know well who plays on the Tour now told me that you probably need about $100K a year if you just want to play golf as much as you can with lessons, food, travel, entry fees, etc. so everything that you said is absolutely spot on, just want to add to what you said for the person who asked the question.

Keep playing well, and best of luck to you in your journey going forward.

Holy guacamole, I had no idea how many established pro's, some with Tour wins even, went through Monday qualifiers. I'm assuming a few of them on a very regular basis.

I agree. I was very surprised at that list. Johnny Vegas has to Monday qualify? Perhaps it is because this event is so popular, but still.....

Nice to see Mac O'Grady giving it a go.

I agree. I was very surprised at that list. Johnny Vegas has to Monday qualify? Perhaps it is because this event is so popular, but still.....

Nice to see Mac O'Grady giving it a go.

It didn't seem that long ago that Johnny's mega watt smile was lighting up the screen....

Fairways & Greens My Friend,

Richard

wow that is a stacked qualifier. So far -6 and -5 makes it through. Good showing Matt with -3. Nice round! Monday qualifier seems like an awfully tough way to go. rooting for you!

Bridgestone J33R speeder 652X
Titleist 910f 15 diamana kai'li s
Ping G30 5 wood S tour spec
Ping G30 7 wood S tour spec
Mizuno MP 37 s300 P-3
Wishon 575 mmc cavity P-4 Aerotech I95 moi'd
Callaway Mac Daddy 2 tg 54° 60°
Scotty Cameron black studio design I 2001 (stolen haven't found replacement)

https://scpga.bluegolf.com/bluegolf/scpga16/event/scpga1630/contest/1/contestant/10924/scorecard.htm

Nice day Bro!!

Not enough today however you're at the door!!

Thank You for taking us along!!!

Fairways & Greens, Pins & Cups My Friend,

Richard