Life of a Conditional Web.com Member

GolfingBro

Heard from the kid, he said he tried to and almost holed out on 9 because he knew he had to.. He will post later, he has to drive from Industry Hills to Moorpark for a mini tour event that starts tomorrow. Its thru AAGT https://gway.bluegolf.com/bluegolf/gway16/event/gway1614/index.htm

No practice round but he played that event last year.

wow that is a stacked qualifier. So far -6 and -5 makes it through. Good showing Matt with -3. Nice round! Monday qualifier seems like an awfully tough way to go. rooting for you!

Here is the leaderboard for the Monday qualifier: https://scpga.bluegolf.com/bluegolf/scpga16/event/scpga1630/contest/1/leaderboard.htm

Fun Fact: Those you see who have withdrawn usually are playing poorly and have somewhere to be. I've played with Ted Purdy in two of these so far and the first time he made it to the 9th hole and today he made it the the 15th hole.

I gave myself a chance all day. Putted lights out. Made practically everything from inside 12 feet, I just didn't hit enough approach shots that close enough. On my final hole (the 9th) I was 40 yards away with a pin on the 2nd tier of the green (I couldn't see the bottom of the flag stick from where I was). I had him go tend the pin because I knew 5 under might give me a chance if I made it. He said it was 1 foot to the right, just missed. Solid play won't get you through Monday qualifiers. Fantastic play is needed...next time.

Possibly the coolest thread I have stumbled upon since joining golfwrx. Will be following and rooting for you. And one day many of us can look back and say, remember when. Best and thanks very much for sharing your experiences.

Cobra Aerojet 10.5 +1.5 Mitsubishi Kai'li S
Cobra LTDx 5w PX Hzrdus green 5.5

Cobra King Utility 20.5 Elements Chrome S 20.5

Mizuno 243 5-P DG S200
Corey Paul 52, 56, 60 
Mizuno OMOI 3 black 35"
Emeritus set:  Mizuno MP20 HMB 5, MMC 6-8, MP 9-P KBS C-taper Lite R 

I am following your thread! Best of luck! Most of us are living vicariously through you! Thanks for taking the time to take us inside the ropes.

-Kevin

TM SIM Max 9* Oban Kiyoshi Purple
TM SIM Ti 15* Oban Kiyoshi Purple

TM SIM Max 19* 

Srixon ZX5/7 combo 4-AW

Fourteen 54*

Titleist SM6 58*

Evnroll ER2

Great thread Matt and huge thanks for letting us follow along with your progress!!

When you get to an event what do you do for a caddie?

I like to go watch the open qualifier near my house every year and I'm surprised how many guys don't have a caddie. I would think members of the club would enjoy being a caddie for a player so they can share the experience, as well as being able to maybe help the player with local knowledge. Alas I play mostly goat tracks and no big events are held at the courses I frequent!

Thanks for sharing, awesome insights. Wishing you the best in your journey.

Two questions if you could please:

1. During course of a so-called "normal" week, how often do you get to practice? is it as often as you would like, or enough to suit you?

2. Is there any one part of your game that you feel needs most improvement to move to next level? I only ask as I once played a round with what I called a "AAA" player, he played a year back when it was the Hogan Tour. Watching him hit the ball like he did, and knowing that he was a fringe type for that level, really make you realize just how darn good you guys are. He said it was the putter that kept him from reaching the next level.

Thanks again.

What are your greatest strengths and areas you believe you need to work on? Thanks again for contributing!

Strengths: Ball striking, Driving the golf club.

Improvement Areas: Green Reading, Alignment with putting, Wedge control

Holy Cow. Nothing like opening a thread to make you feel old. I went to MBHS and was gone before you were born,

How do you get great playing sea pines and the state park? You must have some skills. :) Lol...

Sea Pines has been great to me. Learned golf there and got better by creating my own holes and dropping balls to hit extra shots.

wow that is a stacked qualifier. So far -6 and -5 makes it through. Good showing Matt with -3. Nice round! Monday qualifier seems like an awfully tough way to go. rooting for you!

Here is the leaderboard for the Monday qualifier: https://scpga.bluegolf.com/bluegolf/scpga16/event/scpga1630/contest/1/leaderboard.htm

Fun Fact: Those you see who have withdrawn usually are playing poorly and have somewhere to be. I've played with Ted Purdy in two of these so far and the first time he made it to the 9th hole and today he made it the the 15th hole.

I gave myself a chance all day. Putted lights out. Made practically everything from inside 12 feet, I just didn't hit enough approach shots that close enough. On my final hole (the 9th) I was 40 yards away with a pin on the 2nd tier of the green (I couldn't see the bottom of the flag stick from where I was). I had him go tend the pin because I knew 5 under might give me a chance if I made it. He said it was 1 foot to the right, just missed. Solid play won't get you through Monday qualifiers. Fantastic play is needed...next time.

Yes! That is incredible. Tough break that it didn't fall though. Good luck out there.

M2, maybe
915 FD
913 HD
712u 3
714 AP2 4-p
SM5 53, 59
Circa62

Holy Cow. Nothing like opening a thread to make you feel old. I went to MBHS and was gone before you were born,

How do you get great playing sea pines and the state park? You must have some skills. :) Lol...

Sea Pines has been great to me. Learned golf there and got better by creating my own holes and dropping balls to hit extra shots.

Very cool that they take good care of you. Always play dairy or the park when I get back. Will check out sea pines next time. Bring back some cool memories.

Good luck on your run!

Looking at leaderboards for Monday qualifiers always depresses me! So many good players who can't even get in an event! Mind blowing to see the margin.

Also interesting to see someone shoot 51-35 = 86 with a 12 on the 2nd hole (Siporin). Tip of the cap to him for sticking that out!

Nice round yesterday Matt, all the best to you going forward!

Callaway Great Big Bertha 9* (Rogue Rip i/O 60x)
2016 M1 3HL (Aldila Rogue Silver 70x)
TaylorMade p790 3i (KBS Tour S)
TaylorMade RSi TP 4-9i (KBS Tour S)
Mizuno T7 Blue Ion 46-50-54-58 (S300)
Spider Tour Platinum 35"
TP5x

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/hurryupgolf/?hl=en

What are your greatest strengths and areas you believe you need to work on? Thanks again for contributing!

Strengths: Ball striking, Driving the golf club.

Improvement Areas: Green Reading, Alignment with putting, Wedge control

That's solid playing on the Babe. PGA Mondays are so hard. Makes what Patrick Reed did so incredible. Keep it up Matt and hopefully you get in a web.com event early in the year and get in the reshuffle. You do that and you will be golden for the rest of year. The web.com event in Mexico at El Bosque is a great Monday to try. It's on the tournament course, which is tough and pure, and you can drive to San Diego and walk across the new terminal for Tijuana airport located in the USA side of the border to fly there for dirt cheap. Good luck to you the rest of the year and keep your head up. Remember the cream always rises to the top!

Matt,

If you are home and ever want someone to "spar" with someone (read: give you money) you got a game.

Don taught me how to swing a club. Chad has been my only teacher since college and was in my wedding.

I live about 45 minutes from Los Osos and I'd love to play with someone of your caliber again. Never bad to play with someone better than you, which I don't get to do too often.

If not, no worries.

Play well.

Brian

Heck yes. I'm always down to play with anyone.

Great thread Matt and huge thanks for letting us follow along with your progress!!

When you get to an event what do you do for a caddie?

I like to go watch the open qualifier near my house every year and I'm surprised how many guys don't have a caddie. I would think members of the club would enjoy being a caddie for a player so they can share the experience, as well as being able to maybe help the player with local knowledge. Alas I play mostly goat tracks and no big events are held at the courses I frequent!

Official PGA sanctioned events (PGA TOUR, Web.com, Canada, Latin America) always have caddies on site looking for work. In Canada local people, inexperienced people, came out to carry the bags. Most of the time it was just to save energy but some guys also did bring their own guy to Canadian events. All other events such as mini tours, most guys take carts or carry themselves. When you are on the developmental tours like me, we can't afford to pay our own caddy and feed them when the purses are so small. Thats why it is good to have friends everywhere....for example....my buddy caddied for me in the Northern Trust Monday qualifier since he lived close to the course and his rate was much cheaper than a normal caddy.

Also very interested in your Practice / Workout schedule.

Thanks for sharing, awesome insights. Wishing you the best in your journey.

Two questions if you could please:

1. During course of a so-called "normal" week, how often do you get to practice? is it as often as you would like, or enough to suit you?

2. Is there any one part of your game that you feel needs most improvement to move to next level? I only ask as I once played a round with what I called a "AAA" player, he played a year back when it was the Hogan Tour. Watching him hit the ball like he did, and knowing that he was a fringe type for that level, really make you realize just how darn good you guys are. He said it was the putter that kept him from reaching the next level.

Thanks again.

Can you talk us through your practice routines? I've enjoyed following Malnati's detailed blog regarding how he trains.

I will put together a very long post regarding these questions. Thank you for your patience.

Remember the cream always rises to the top!

ALWAYS!!

Fairways & Greens, Pins & Cups 4ever My Friend

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

Matt,

If you are home and ever want someone to "spar" with someone (read: give you money) you got a game.

Don taught me how to swing a club. Chad has been my only teacher since college and was in my wedding.

I live about 45 minutes from Los Osos and I'd love to play with someone of your caliber again. Never bad to play with someone better than you, which I don't get to do too often.

If not, no worries.

Play well.

Brian

Heck yes. I'm always down to play with anyone.

Matt,

Same goes for me if you're ever in central Texas...I've played the MQ sites for the Valero and Shell a # of times (I'm going to try - for better or worse - for the Valero) ...would be happy to loop for you during those or play a friendly match if you're ever around Austin.

I've had a lot of interest about what Nike provides for their athletes. So here is the scoop...

There are a lot of different levels of support for golfers. There is the Rory and Tiger level (millions of dollars and access to the newest clubs and clothes first) and then there is the developmental tour level.

Most guys sponsored by Nike just get gear and clubs for free. The next step up is monetary compensation for playing and wear Nike. This compensation varies depending on what tour you on. I can't go into too much detail on the money side due to what was in my contract. I can say that there is also bonus money for FedEx cup points and world ranking points on top of the yearly compensation money. To put it simply, the guys who are top 50 in the world and high in the FedEx cup are making A LOT of money.

Now onto the clubs. Nike makes sure most of their athletes play the new woods as soon as possible. This year its the Nike Vapor Fly driver line (which is blue). The highest paid guys get access to it first, then the rest of the staff. Basically the higher tour you're on the sooner Nike wants the new stuff in your bag. I have played now 6 generations of the Nike woods starting with the Nike VR Pro and now the Nike Vapor Fly. They have all been fantastic, and the technology keeps getting better each year. Every year I think that the Drivers can't get better and yet they do.

Nike has a small group of athletes on their staff. For example at Final Stage of Q School there were 12 guys that made it. (and they told me that was a lot) They treat all the athletes well and aren't shy about giving us lots of clothes, balls, gloves whenever we need it. If I ever need gloves or balls I get in contact with my guy and they send them immediately to any address I need. That goes with any other clothing I think I need outside the clothing packages.

The Nike clothing packages are unbelievable. Someone mentioned on here about having a closet full of Nike clothes, clubs, and old balls... I have a lot of stuff. About 3 times a year Nike sends out clothing packages which contain anywhere from 10-20 new shirts, 5-10 new pants, 4-8 new jackets/pullovers, and new hats as well. The amount of Nike gear I have is unbelievable. I am used to wearing stuff for multiple years and now I have new stuff coming in quarterly to wear. Once a new logo or brand idea is created the old stuff can't be worn in tournaments anymore. For example when I first turned pro I was sent 20+ hats of various colors with the Nike VRS RZN logo on them. In early 2015 this is when Nike was transitioning to the NIke VAPOR RZN logo. So, three months after my brand new hats came they sent 20+ new hats with no logo on them for me to wear. Three months after that I got MORE hats but now with the NIke VAPOR RZN logo on the. My first 7 months as a pro golfer I had over 30 new hats that I could no longer wear to tournaments but thankfully I had lots of people who would gladly take them (since selling any gear or clubs given from Nike is looked down on).

The hat story is the same with Staff bags. I now have a collection of 3 staff bags. A 2014, 2015, and 2016 bag, which are all different. Thats how you can tell a true pro golfer on staff, if they have an up to date staff bag.

Someone asked about clubs too. I can call up my contact and order new wedges whenever I like (I usually do it every 3-5 months). I have a friend who orders new putters frequently but doesn't always use them and has a large collection now. I never need to or want to do that. I usually stick with what I have because it's the player and not the putters fault. However, I do have 6 Nike putters that I have gotten over the years. (since I was with Nike all throughout college as well). I try not to take advantage of Nike's generosity, I ask for what I need and that is all.

As you guys can see Nike is an amazing company to be a part of. I'm sure all the other companies are great as well but you can't beat the fact that a club and clothing deal is all wrapped up in one. I hope you enjoyed this insight into Nike golf and feel free to ask any further questions.

I have a question about clothes that i've always wondered about. If you're like me and are short or extra tall for that matter, do you get tailored pants or just off the rack lengths? This is a great thread to read. So glad you decided to start it. Good luck and looking forward to more insight

Mp

I've had a lot of interest about what Nike provides for their athletes. So here is the scoop...

There are a lot of different levels of support for golfers. There is the Rory and Tiger level (millions of dollars and access to the newest clubs and clothes first) and then there is the developmental tour level.

Most guys sponsored by Nike just get gear and clubs for free. The next step up is monetary compensation for playing and wear Nike. This compensation varies depending on what tour you on. I can't go into too much detail on the money side due to what was in my contract. I can say that there is also bonus money for FedEx cup points and world ranking points on top of the yearly compensation money. To put it simply, the guys who are top 50 in the world and high in the FedEx cup are making A LOT of money.

Now onto the clubs. Nike makes sure most of their athletes play the new woods as soon as possible. This year its the Nike Vapor Fly driver line (which is blue). The highest paid guys get access to it first, then the rest of the staff. Basically the higher tour you're on the sooner Nike wants the new stuff in your bag. I have played now 6 generations of the Nike woods starting with the Nike VR Pro and now the Nike Vapor Fly. They have all been fantastic, and the technology keeps getting better each year. Every year I think that the Drivers can't get better and yet they do.

Nike has a small group of athletes on their staff. For example at Final Stage of Q School there were 12 guys that made it. (and they told me that was a lot) They treat all the athletes well and aren't shy about giving us lots of clothes, balls, gloves whenever we need it. If I ever need gloves or balls I get in contact with my guy and they send them immediately to any address I need. That goes with any other clothing I think I need outside the clothing packages.

The Nike clothing packages are unbelievable. Someone mentioned on here about having a closet full of Nike clothes, clubs, and old balls... I have a lot of stuff. About 3 times a year Nike sends out clothing packages which contain anywhere from 10-20 new shirts, 5-10 new pants, 4-8 new jackets/pullovers, and new hats as well. The amount of Nike gear I have is unbelievable. I am used to wearing stuff for multiple years and now I have new stuff coming in quarterly to wear. Once a new logo or brand idea is created the old stuff can't be worn in tournaments anymore. For example when I first turned pro I was sent 20+ hats of various colors with the Nike VRS RZN logo on them. In early 2015 this is when Nike was transitioning to the NIke VAPOR RZN logo. So, three months after my brand new hats came they sent 20+ new hats with no logo on them for me to wear. Three months after that I got MORE hats but now with the NIke VAPOR RZN logo on the. My first 7 months as a pro golfer I had over 30 new hats that I could no longer wear to tournaments but thankfully I had lots of people who would gladly take them (since selling any gear or clubs given from Nike is looked down on).

The hat story is the same with Staff bags. I now have a collection of 3 staff bags. A 2014, 2015, and 2016 bag, which are all different. Thats how you can tell a true pro golfer on staff, if they have an up to date staff bag.

Someone asked about clubs too. I can call up my contact and order new wedges whenever I like (I usually do it every 3-5 months). I have a friend who orders new putters frequently but doesn't always use them and has a large collection now. I never need to or want to do that. I usually stick with what I have because it's the player and not the putters fault. However, I do have 6 Nike putters that I have gotten over the years. (since I was with Nike all throughout college as well). I try not to take advantage of Nike's generosity, I ask for what I need and that is all.

As you guys can see Nike is an amazing company to be a part of. I'm sure all the other companies are great as well but you can't beat the fact that a club and clothing deal is all wrapped up in one. I hope you enjoyed this insight into Nike golf and feel free to ask any further questions.

I have a question about clothes that i've always wondered about. If you're like me and are short or extra tall for that matter, do you get tailored pants or just off the rack lengths? This is a great thread to read. So glad you decided to start it. Good luck and looking forward to more insight

Most off the rack sizes aren't readily available in stores. But, when I played amateur golf and won script to a golf shop I would special order my 36 length pants. When I was younger and grew, I got my pants tailored. So, I've done both. I have a friend who is sponsored by addidas and he even has a problem getting pants from them since his pant length is 38. He makes me feel small and I'm 6'2"!!

Tournament next week in Fresno, he is here at our house till tomorrow and then headed off to Fresno, he said he is sharing a motel room with a friend to save money, I didn't ask where, because its probably the kind with the nasty polyester bed spreads.. Ewwwww..

This mini tour event actually has a great turn out and field. http://www.gstour.com/Event/EventDetails.aspx?TID=3991

There are some of you out there who are interested in my practice routines when I have an off week. So here we go...

There are a few types of practice that I like to do. Block practice (where I work on technique), focused practice (here is where I have a goal in mind and something to accomplish). For example...this morning I worked on block practice and focused practice with chipping. Attached is a picture below of what I was working on and it was all to cones (since sea pines doesn't have a real chipping green). However, cones and an empty patch of grass is all you need to get a good practice in.

During the block practice I was working on impact and setup things and keeping my head down longer. I have a David Duval move with my full swing and it's starting to get into my chipping which I don't like. For 1 hour and 45 minutes I worked with block practice. I followed this with a focused practice...

The goal of my focused practice today was go from cone to cone and hit each, once with a normal shot and once with a high soft shot. The cones were placed starting at 5 yards and ending at 20 yards with increments of 3 yards between them. I started at the 5 yard yard cone and hit a low shot and went up the ladder all the way to the 20 yard cone. Then I came back down the ladder hitting all high and soft shots. Each time one of those shots connected with a cone (on the fly) I eliminated that cone and that shot from the ladder.

This was very very challenging...but you can't cheat yourself even if you keep coming close to the cone. It took me 1 hour and 10 minutes, but I did it.

I do this same kind of thing with putting practice. I work on my stroke path and alignment at address. Following this practice I do a focused practice and try to accomplish something. It's a great way to get better by not even going on course.