2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Traveling to Phoenix.....Some course info for you

One_Putt_Blunder

Dmitch37

All three of those courses are good courses, and I think you would enjoy them all I. However still prefer Legend Trail over the other two.

Copper Canyon is very nice but is a pretty decent drive from the Scottsdale/East Valley. and that is the only setback of Copper Canyon. Longbow is a good course too, just doesnt have the elevation changes and the design that Legend Trail has. If you can and its in your budget I say give Legend Trail a run otherwise play Copper Canyon then Longbow.

here are a few more pics of Legend Trail ignore the signs there just happend to be a tournament going off right after my group

Edit: one more to add to the mix would be Whirlwind Cattail or Devils Claw Courses. Also becarefull on the par 5's on the back nine at Coyote Lakes the get a bit narrow and the fairways all slope hard to the water play the right side of the fairway.

[twitter]oneputtblunder[/twitter]
10.5 Aeroburner TP Fujikura Speeder Pro XLR8
14.5 X2 Hot 3 Deep Tour Green
18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
Byron Morgan DH89 Rincon Neck deep mill or Circa 62 No 2
Vokey 52/56/60 SM5/TVDK/TVDVgrind DG S300
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/175527-one-putts-road-to-redemption-bag-04262014/"]WITB Link[/url]

Thanks very much for the advice & pictures. I believe Legend Trail is usually alot more expensive but an email I had the other day was offering golf plus some food for about $80.

As you can see from the list we've got booked we're not afraid of a little travel. But when you've travelled from the UK (missed that in my original post) 40 mins to an hour down the road doesn't hurt! This will be our 4th visit to the city in as many years and I think we have a fairly decent handle on the courses. It never hurts to get a bit more inside knowledge from a PHX resident.

No problem you have some good rounds lined up and quite a bit of golfing to do.

Legend Trails' special is 79.99 for the round, cart, range balls, and a free cheese crisp in the new cantina (19th hole) if you play Mon-Thurs. normaly that time of year I think they are around $150 or so. Enjoy the trip weather is still holding solid in the mid 80's or so. the courses are coming off the overseed nice to.

18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/175527-one-putts-road-to-redemption-bag-04262014/"]WITB Link[/url]

• 3 weeks later...
Lets hope so as last year we got rained off on our last day in late November. The day after being assured it never rains in Phoenix!

2 weeks and counting.

Dmitch how did the trip go? Did you make it to Legend Trail?

18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120

Thank you for the great thread. Your list as well as the replies has been tremendously helpful in planning our trip, but I have some more questions.

We (3 couples) are headed to the Phoenix area in late December. Our schedule is tight and we have already made our ticket purchases, arriving about 1:00 p.m. on the 25th and leaving 11:59 p.m. on the 28th. My questions are:

1. Would we be able to get in 36 holes in a day, considering that nights are longest at that time of year?

2. Based on the thread and other research so far, courses we are considering are:

2 of the following 3 courses: We Ko Pa, Eagle Mountain, Sunridge

1 round at Poston Butte

Would these be good choices? I don't see Poston Butte on you list, but our budget is tight and they seem to have reasonable rates. We are looking for well-maintained scenic courses.

3. The time we have chosen to travel seems to be the most expensive season. I see that there are deals to be had, but they seem to be last minute or for Arizona residents. Would it be best to go with a golf package, or should we wait till we are down there and try to get a good last minute deal?

Thank you.

Thank you for the great thread. Your list as well as the replies has been tremendously helpful in planning our trip, but I have some more questions.

We (3 couples) are headed to the Phoenix area in late December. Our schedule is tight and we have already made our ticket purchases, arriving about 1:00 p.m. on the 25th and leaving 11:59 p.m. on the 28th. My questions are:

1. Would we be able to get in 36 holes in a day, considering that nights are longest at that time of year?

2. Based on the thread and other research so far, courses we are considering are:

1 round at Poston Butte

Would these be good choices? I don't see Poston Butte on you list, but our budget is tight and they seem to have reasonable rates. We are looking for well-maintained scenic courses.

3. The time we have chosen to travel seems to be the most expensive season. I see that there are deals to be had, but they seem to be last minute or for Arizona residents. Would it be best to go with a golf package, or should we wait till we are down there and try to get a good last minute deal?

Thank you.

1: 36 a day is definatley possible make your first tee time is between 7-8am and you will be fine. Plus We Ko Pa runs a 36 hole special, And Eagle Mountain and Sunridge are about a mile apart so you dont have to worry about driving to far.

2: Poston is a nice course however it is quite the drive for me (1hour plus) so not something I would play all that much. With your schedule it may be quite a stretch to get out to Poston. If you could only play 2 courses I would just go play both We Ko Pa tracks Saguaro and Cholla. Both those courses will be immaculate and incredibley senic since there are no homes on either course

3: It is the most expensive time you could always try www.golfnow.com

We Ko Pa is not listed on there however. Just call the shop and ask about thier 36 hole special which should help cut your per round cost down, plus you are able to book up to 90 days out.

18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120

Would we be able to get in 36 holes in a day,

courses we are considering are:

1 round at Poston Butte

Would these be good choices? I

The two courses at We-Ko-Pa are the best choices from your list, and that would enable you to play 36 a day. Eagle Mtn and Sun Ridge are close to each other so you could play both in the same day, but if you are only playing one day, play We-Ko-Pa. Sun Ridge is a very diffciult course. Unless you are very good golfers I would skip Sun Ridge. Eagle Mountain is a much more foregiving course. For 36 a day, if you don't play We-Ko-Pa I would suggest Grayhawk or Troon North

Thanks for the info. We will be playing golf for 3 days. I checked out the 36 hole special at We Ko Pa and that is our first choice. We don't know if we want to play 36 or 18 the other two days. We are considering Poston Butte because they have an unlimited golf deal, and it seems to be good value. We don't mind the drive. My biggest question is, should I play safe and book through a golf package or should I wait and try to get a good deal through the golfnow site?

Thanks for the info. We will be playing golf for 3 days. I checked out the 36 hole special at We Ko Pa and that is our first choice. We don't know if we want to play 36 or 18 the other two days. We are considering Poston Butte because they have an unlimited golf deal, and it seems to be good value. We don't mind the drive. My biggest question is, should I play safe and book through a golf package or should I wait and try to get a good deal through the golfnow site?

For a place as far out as Poston Golfnow should be fine I would just call ahead to make sure they dont have a tournament or special event that day. Golfnow has a huge selection of times and it really should not be an issue.

What days of the week are you playing? if any of the days are mon-thurs Grayhawk has been running some great specials and you could prob get a great price for 36 holes out there. Sign up for thier email club @ www.grayhawkgolf.com and see if any specials come your way.

18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120

Great review. Funny to see Hillcrest on your list. I played my part of my high school golf career there. I still love the 3rd hole. It is a par 3 about 215 yards to a large green with bunker right and left of the green. The green on number 4 or pretty interesting too, with the difference in elevation from the front right to the back edge having to be about 10-12 feet.

Great review. Funny to see Hillcrest on your list. I played my part of my high school golf career there. I still love the 3rd hole. It is a par 3 about 215 yards to a large green with bunker right and left of the green. The green on number 4 or pretty interesting too, with the difference in elevation from the front right to the back edge having to be about 10-12 feet.

Not sure what it is about that course, but when you play from the back tees right around 7000 yards its a whole lot tougher than you would think. Plus the price is always right. The two closing holes are tough too a 245 yard par 3 followed by the 460+ yard par 4. Not much in the way of scenery but a pretty fun track for a cheap price

That green on 4 is brutal its every bit of 10-12 ft elevation change from top to bottom, dont want to be above the hole on that one :black eye:

18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120

I was trying to book at We Ko Pa and just found out that they don't have a 36 hole deal in December because tee times are too late for 36. They do have the 27+ deal so we might do that. The question is, which course do we play first?

I am surprised that they wont let you get in 36. As far as which course thats tough I would prob start on Saguaro and hope to finish Cholla in the afternoon. If you want to walk definatley Saguaro.

The yardage layout is better on Cholla more of a even mix where Saguaro is a bunch of tough short par 4's and very long par 4's. 18 is a beast. Which ever course you pick to start you will not be dissapointed

18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120

Is there a discount for walking Saguaro, or is it the same price, you are just allowed to walk?

Same price. They do have some motorized hand carts that you can use as well, I am pretty sure that is included with the price. The course will be cartpath only that time of the year and was designed to walk, there are a few elevation changes but all in all a good walking course.

18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120

VIstal always seems to get overlooked for good cheap courses in AZ. Ans I personally feel that Aguila(city course) is a really fun course and in awesome condition. Ive yet to play either since overseeding, but I look forward to getting back out to Vistal. Just spoiled from playing solo rounds by myself in the summer for $10, riding hahaha.

callaway epic max ls MMT x
Ping G25 15* Black Tie

818 H2 set 21* evenflow 6.5

HOGAN ft worth black x100

cleveland 50* scratch  54 & 60 customs T&A
Cleveland TA milled options

VIstal always seems to get overlooked for good cheap courses in AZ. Ans I personally feel that Aguila(city course) is a really fun course and in awesome condition. Ive yet to play either since overseeding, but I look forward to getting back out to Vistal. Just spoiled from playing solo rounds by myself in the summer for $10, riding hahaha.

While I think the design at Vistal is outstanding, the few times I have played it the course was in horrible condition. The fairways were completley dead and like hitting off concrete, the rough was not any better either. I remember commenting to the guys I played with that it would be an outstanding track if they took care of it. I still think they have a semi bad rep after that kid died a few years ago from bacteria in the water coolers. I last played it in March/April 2008 and wouldnt mind playing it again if the conditions have improved.

18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120

Yeah I played it alot in the summer time and though I dont play the real expensive course out here, I found that the condition of the course was really good, no major deadspots at all and the greens were real nice. I played it the week before reseeding and it was in real good shape, equal to the condition of the raven @ South Mountain around the same time period. Give it another try~

Ping G25 15* Black Tie

This deal just in Grayhawk either course Dec 1st through Dec 7th 99$ up to 4 players. Shot me an pm with your email address and I will forward the email special to you. That is about 50% off normal rack rates for this time of year.

18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120

Maybe its because Im young or grew up blue collar but I think its insane how expensive the rates are for winter golf in AZ. I know its a huge winter golf and vacation destination, so I understand charging more for the out of staters, but you think they'd cut locals a bit more of a break. Granted, the conditions are greatly improved but the courses are often so packed that it kinda kills the fun.

I've gone from playing 5 times a week in the summer to just going to the range 3 times a week and MAYBE playing one round per week at some ho-hum track.

That being said, do you know of any deals for something under $30?

Rio Salado has a web special for $12.95 all you can play with cart after 2pm

Ping G25 15* Black Tie

Fore Life,

Through the golf now email specials there are a few rounds under 30 may not be the best tracks but a few decent tracks can be found in there. Another good option is if you are a resident you can get the city discount card to use at Cavecreek muni, Papago muni(great track) once it reopens dec 6th, Estrella muni, Aguila and the other phx muni courses. Not a bad deal for a 50$ card. If you have a chance to play mid week there are usually some better deals on golf now. I usually save one of the golfnow.com's emails so I can pull up the email only specials at anytime.

http://phoenix.gov/SPORTS/clubhouse.html

18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120

• 2 weeks later...

Another smoking hot deal just in. This one is from Legend Trail who btw has some of the best if not the best greens in the valley right now.

The Deal is the 12 days of Christmas and is 59.99 includes round of golf, cart, range balls and a sleeve of Pro V's. I dont have the link at this moment but feel free to Pm me for details. The special runs from the 14th through December 25th. Normal rack rate for this time of year is $165.

18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120

Hi I live in Chicago and come out in april. All the courses you guys mention are the one's I play. Thanks for the sugestions. You guys have to try Raven at verrado do the member for a day unliminted driving range, round of golf, snack and beverage on the course lunch or dinner when you are done and a replay of golf. Very nice course great service. The Proshop even gave me Arizona resident rates so i think i paid $109 Great price for all that ! When you hear a lite whistling noise behind you look up in the mountains they are not too load but it is cool to watch the fighter jets doing there maneuvers over head from the nearby airforce base. Tip of the day everything on the greens brake towards the new football stadium. I would miss a putt pick my head up and see in the far distance the dome. ASU karsten is a nice little course but the proshop people were very rude to me 2 times i went there sorry i will not be going there again. Dinosaur Mountain is my fav! Places i am going to play this year papago since the renovation, longbow, Apache creek, Sidewinder. Thanks

Is there a discount for walking Saguaro, or is it the same price, you are just allowed to walk?

Same price. They do have some motorized hand carts that you can use as well, I am pretty sure that is included with the price. The course will be cartpath only that time of the year and was designed to walk, there are a few elevation changes but all in all a good walking course.

Seems they did away with the motorized push carts, however they do have regular Speed Carts you can use for NO EXTRA CHARGE !! (LOL, no discount for walking). Actually, since it is CART PATH only, you may as well walk the course. Saguaro is set up for walking with very short green to tee distances.

Added a new course to the list Southern Dunes GC out in Maricopa. Great track worth the drive south

18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120

• 2 weeks later...
Is Southern Dunes in Maricopa private? How much was it to play there? Where would you put it on your original list of favorites to play? thanks.

It was a private course, now it is open to the public. When I played it a few weeks ago it was 54. Now on golfnow it is running 59.99, Well worth it great greens pretty fast but very true, They were rolling in the neghborhood of 13 on the stimp when I played. I did add it to my list on the 1st page I have it very high up there.

18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120

Played Southern Dunes last weekend... One tough track. I counted 13 holes that I could not see the pin location due to high dunes in front of the green. Greens rolled at 12 and true as a pool table. I have all the courses previously listed above and I would rate this #1 in my rotunda.

PING G425 Max       10.5* Tensei  AV Blue 60 gram X flex
PING G425 Max       16.5* TD AD TP 80 gram X flex
PING G425 19*         Tensei CK Blue 80 gram X Flex

PING G425 22*         Tensei CK Blue 80 gram X Flex

PING i230                  5-PW     w/ PX LZ 6.0 Black out shafts (+ 1/4”)
Titleist SM 9 raw        50*/54*/58* PX LZ 6.0  Black out shaft (+ 1/4”)

Odyssey                     AI One  Seven CH

BULLPEN

TM Rossi   M-21 Reserve and Odyssey Tri Hot      5k Seven CH   

Played Southern Dunes last weekend... One tough track. I counted 13 holes that I could not see the pin location due to high dunes in front of the green. Greens rolled at 12 and true as a pool table. I have all the courses previously listed above and I would rate this #1 in my rotunda.

It was indeed a very tough track, with quite a few decieving shots, especially most of the approaches. Its well deserving of its rating. I love the design of the course most of the tee shots fit my eye nicely, the only one I want back is on the short par 4 # 14 I didnt know there was a nice landing area on the otherside of the huge fairway bunker.

I wish I could play on greens like that every week, once you get the speed down its just point and putt, the ball just rolls so true. One of the more visually intimidating tee shots on a par three was on #6 its the last of my pics above. Pin was on the left/middle and you could barely see the top of the flag.

I was lucky enough to get three kick in birdies after nice approaches and holed out a bunker shot for birdie on 9, Still managed to find the lake with a back right pin placement on 18 for a double bougey ended up with a 79. Pretty good round for me considering the rating and slope . I will definatley make the drive to play it again.

18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120