Garmin S20 GPS Watch

I haven't used the auto shot features yet. Just the basics... gonna go out again this saturday and see what its all about though...

Titleist TSi2 [9*] Graphite Design AD-DI 6S

Titleist TSi3 [15.0*] Graphite Design AD-DI 7S
Titleist TSi3 [20*] Graphite Design AD-HY 8S
Titleist 718 AP2 [4-PW] TTDG AMT Tour White
Titleist SM6 [50.12F/54.08M/60.08M] TTDG
Scotty Cameron Champions Choice Newport +

• Replies 627
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good grief. I'm wondering if I'm supposed to have this watch...

Pre-ordered through TGW with an expecting shipping date of the 12th. TGW keeps pushing back the date, so on Monday I cancel with TGW and order from Carl's Golfland.

Next morning, get email confirmation that the watch has shipped, expected delivery date of today.

No watch. There's been no movement on the UPS website - yet MyChoice delivery planner says it should be here. No one at UPS has a clue other than to say "we see no movement."

Awesome.

Good grief. I'm wondering if I'm supposed to have this watch...

Pre-ordered through TGW with an expecting shipping date of the 12th. TGW keeps pushing back the date, so on Monday I cancel with TGW and order from Carl's Golfland.

Next morning, get email confirmation that the watch has shipped, expected delivery date of today.

No watch. There's been no movement on the UPS website - yet MyChoice delivery planner says it should be here. No one at UPS has a clue other than to say "we see no movement."

Awesome.

Hang in there muckit! Mine took 6 days to move from Austin TX to Cleveland OH through UPS Ground. Granted one day was a Sunday and the next was a semi-holiday, but still, they could've shipped Priority Mail and it would have taken 3-4 days.

WITB:
Mizuno GT/ST-180 Dr w/ EvenFlow White 6.0 75
Mizuno GT-180 3wd w/ Tensei CK White 75
TM UDI 1, 3 w/ KBS C-Taper Lite S
TM P770 4-PW w/ TT Tour Concept Satin
TM Milled Grind 52* LB and 58* SB
Odyssey O-Works 7S Tank

I'm not sure exactly how Autoshot works, but I'm pretty sure I saw while scrolling through the menus some option to select a club. Autoshot is either on or off. If on, I am thinking it will record shot distances/locations through GPS and later map them for you on the website/app. I'm only guessing at this point, but am assuming if you want actual distance PER CLUB, you will have to scroll through a menu and manually select which club you are about to hit. Hopefully someone without snow on the ground will get to test this and report back before I can.

Mine came out of the box at 55% charge, and I've been running it 2 days on watch/activity tracking/alarm mode, and it's at 54%. I tried linking up Bluetooth to my smartphone today to try and kill it, but got told to go through Garmin Express for connection instructions, and haven't done that yet. So instead of seeing how long it takes to charge from 0% to 100%, I'm charging it up to 100% now and will get Bluetooth hooked up and see how long to wear it down.

WITB:
Odyssey O-Works 7S Tank

Finally got my phone paired with notifications enabled at 8:51pm. Will see how long it takes to wear it down getting emails/texts/calls.

WITB:
Odyssey O-Works 7S Tank

Incoming phone calls works for notifications, but not email/texts. Can anyone else confirm this? I've sent myself numerous emails from my work account, got them on my phone, but not watch. Just woke my 13 year old daughter up and made her send me text, got it on the phone but no notification on watch.

WITB:
Odyssey O-Works 7S Tank

Incoming phone calls works for notifications, but not email/texts. Can anyone else confirm this? I've sent myself numerous emails from my work account, got them on my phone, but not watch. Just woke my 13 year old daughter up and made her send me text, got it on the phone but no notification on watch.

I use iPhone and text message work but no notifications for email. The text notification on the watch shows up immediately.

917 D2 8.50* - Tensei CK Pro White 60
917 F2 13.5* - Rogue Max 70
816 H2 19.0* - D+ Plus 90
716 T-MB (3i, 4i) - Modus 120
716 CB (5-PW) - Modus 120
Hogan TK15 - 49, 55
Edel Deschutes

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1457364-pitchinwedges-witb/page__p__15152218#entry15152218"][color=#0000ff][b]Photo WITB[/b][/color][/url]

Just got mine, and any time I try to either download a course on the app or do a course update through Garmin Express all I get is an instant failure. Anyone else had the same issues?

Yes I had the same issue. It is a software bug that is being worked on.

I ignored it. The watch installed an update later that night on it's own.

Hogan TK15 - 49, 55
Edel Deschutes

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1457364-pitchinwedges-witb/page__p__15152218#entry15152218"][color=#0000ff][b]Photo WITB[/b][/color][/url]

I was getting notifications for calls and text messages, not emails. This was with an iPhone 6s.

Just got mine, and any time I try to either download a course on the app or do a course update through Garmin Express all I get is an instant failure. Anyone else had the same issues?

Yes I had the same issue. It is a software bug that is being worked on.

I ignored it. The watch installed an update later that night on it's own.

There was a sw update from v 2.1 to 2.2 that went through okay on mine, but not the course updates. Is this the same experience you had?

Don't know if it was... anyways it says v 2.20 now :taunt:

So I just got back from the driving range and here's a short update.

At the golf course, the watch wanted me to START ROUND, which I did even though I wasn't going to play. I then found out that I had to enable scoring to invoke the MEASURE SHOT feature.

Once MEASURE SHOT was enabled, the S20 requested I take golf shot. I swung a six-iron. The s20 screen changed to a scrolling list of clubs from DR to LW (iirc). I selected 6i and the S20 again prompted to take another golf shot. Same goes with the scoring and stat tracking - the S20 requires manual input of the number of strokes, club used, fairway hit, miss left, miss right, and how many putts.

Had I walked to where my ball came to rest and taken another shot, I suspect the S20 would have then recorded the distance for my 6i. Since I was on the range, however, I only moved only a few steps so it appeared to the S20 as a couple of yards. I stopped playing with the S20 at this point and saved my "round" to see what stats and data were available post-round.

Now that I'm back at the office, I've examined my post-round data via the Garmin Connect web-app. There is no map overlay, just charts displaying whatever inputs I had entered into the S20.

Clearly, the S20 is not an alternative to something like Game Golf or Arccos. What it is, IMO, is a basic GPS golf watch with a pedometer (activity tracking). I'll reserve my final judgement until I have at least a couple of full rounds with the S20, but so far, I don't believe the AutoShot and stat-tracking features will work for me.

Hogan TK15 - 49, 55
Edel Deschutes

Once MEASURE SHOT was enabled, the S20 requested I take golf shot. I swung a six-iron. The s20 screen changed to a scrolling list of clubs from DR to LW (iirc). I selected 6i and the S20 again prompted to take another golf shot. Same goes with the scoring and stat tracking - the S20 requires manual input of the number of strokes, club used, fairway hit, miss left, miss right, and how many putts.

Had I walked to where my ball came to rest and taken another shot, I suspect the S20 would have then recorded the distance for my 6i. Since I was on the range, however, I only moved only a few steps so it appeared to the S20 as a couple of yards. I stopped playing with the S20 at this point and saved my "round" to see what stats and data were available post-round.

That is not at all what I expected. I would have thought Measure Shot would measure individual shots on request, pretty much like any other golf GPS, whereas Autoshot would record every shot automatically in the background without the need for user interaction.

UPS officially lost mine. LOL.

Of course, UPS wouldn't do anything about it, it took Carl's to call them and file a missing package report.

There was ONE black S20 left in stock at Carl's, and they are going to ship it out Monday, expedited, free of charge. Pretty cool of them considering it's not their fault.

So looks like Tuesday or Wednesday before I can give a review.

Got mine last night and wore it all day at work. I walked 5 miles at work.Should be less but I have to get parts from other depts. Debating on wearing it on the course tomorrow,but it's a event so probably won't. It wouldn't install up dates when hooked up on Exspress?

I wish connect would get their act together, I have over 300 rounds with my G6.

Jimmy B

I'll try and chime in on my experience.

I got mine last week, played 2 9's so far.

One gripe I'll get out of the way now is there's no haptic feedback, only a chime, I don't like that.

I charged mine 3? days ago, played 9 holes, bluetooth on and notifications and all that stuff, I'm at 94% battery still.

Shot tracking works ok, a little buggy. A couple swings didn't detect my swing. After a shot is detected a list of clubs will come up, it usually defaults to a club 1 or 2 away from the one I would select. It doesn't start at driver and make you go to Lob Wedge when your 50 yards away. Online I added a few clubs I use that aren't in the default list so I have all mine in there now. The autoshot round analyzer feature doesn't seem to be working yet so really this shot tracking is useless right now. However I'm still trying to use it so when it is available hopefully all the data will be there.

When I get close to the greens the scorecard feature automatically comes up. This annoyed me at first but I'm starting to like it. This way I dont have to go to the menu, select score card, then enter the data. You can select score, putts and fairway hit, left or right. Hazards info is pretty simple to navigate and the pin placement is straight forward.

On the notifications, I'm getting them for my games, clash of clans, boom beach. My email thru gmail, primary messages only which is nice, not the junk email. Messages come up also. There isn't really much detail to the notifications though, it's basically a very short description of the notification so you can see if it's worth checking your phone or not. Also on my Iphone 6s it auto detects when I'm in the car and has learned my habits so it'll give me gps data with route times, this info is sent to my watch also.

Important, You'll need to go into settings on your watch and turn on stat tracking, scoring and club tracking for all the features to work.

I want to try truswing with this also. for $150 it has the potential to be a nice add on but I want to get it from somewhere with a good return policy incase it's just gimmicky.

I had a apple watch with golfshot pro for awhile, the gps was inaccurate on a few holes and the touch screen on the watch would drive me nuts sometimes. So I actually like the buttons on the s20, they have a good feel and respond really well. By the way mine hasn't locked up on me at all. I can't do the course update with garmin express either, I'm sure a update down the road will fix that.

So, so far I like it, nice improvement over the S1 that I was still using, battery seems great. Hopefully the autoshot round analyzer will be available soon, and I'm looking forward to trying truswing with this.

Shot tracking works ok, a little buggy. A couple swings didn't detect my swing. After a shot is detected a list of clubs will come up, it usually defaults to a club 1 or 2 away from the one I would select. It doesn't start at driver and make you go to Lob Wedge when your 50 yards away. Online I added a few clubs I use that aren't in the default list so I have all mine in there now. The autoshot round analyzer feature doesn't seem to be working yet so really this shot tracking is useless right now. However I'm still trying to use it so when it is available hopefully all the data will be there.

When I get close to the greens the scorecard feature automatically comes up. This annoyed me at first but I'm starting to like it. This way I dont have to go to the menu, select score card, then enter the data. You can select score, putts and fairway hit, left or right. Hazards info is pretty simple to navigate and the pin placement is straight forward.

Awesome review. Thanks a lot.

A couple of questions for clarification:

What happens if you don't respond to the club selection screen? Does it eventually pick the one it proposed (Autoshot being really automatic) or does it keep waiting for input forever (Autoshot being only semi-automatic)?

Same question regarding the scorecard function. Do you always have to confirm the scores it is supposed to register automatically, or is it only an option for you to edit the scores?

Since it is supposed to know the number of shots, it would be really great if you didn't have to do anything, although you are offered the option of correcting club and score.

Thanks for the reviews guys. I'll be upgrading from my Bushnell Neo this season and I think it will be between the Neo iON and the S20. Both have similar features so we'll see what happens when reviews for both devices start popping up.

Optiforce 440 9.5* w/ B-Series BlueBoard 60X
913H 18*& 22* w/ iRod 85F4
Ping s55 (4-PW) w/ Recoil 95 Prototype
Engage 50sq, 54sq, 60ds w/ Recoil 110 Prototype
Bettinardi Signature Series 7

Awesome review. Thanks a lot.

A couple of questions for clarification:

What happens if you don't respond to the club selection screen? Does it eventually pick the one it proposed (Autoshot being really automatic) or does it keep waiting for input forever (Autoshot being only semi-automatic)?

Same question regarding the scorecard function. Do you always have to confirm the scores it is supposed to register automatically, or is it only an option for you to edit the scores?

Since it is supposed to know the number of shots, it would be really great if you didn't have to do anything, although you are offered the option of correcting club and score.

It waits for you to select a club.

It doesn't keep your score, you enter the score after each hole. The scorecard comes up around the green automatically but you can hit the back button to get out of that and then go back to scorecard from the menu after the hole.

I don't think it detects putts or small chips around the green, only full shots from what I've noticed.

I plan on playing the next couple of days, I'll update again after a couple 18 hole rounds.

this isn't game golf, it's a gps unit with some added features. I trust garmin for accurate yardages and the S20 has awesome battery life and the new design is comfortable. I feel this watch is a good value for $200 without autoshot.

this isn't game golf

No apparently it isn't. Really a pity, because it wouldn't take much to make it truly automatic, and eliminate the need for user input. I think Microsoft Band does this, but without the hazards.

If I wanted a product where I needed to enter anything, the Game Golf app already fits that demand perfectly. And it's free too.

I think it is a nice GPS range finder, with hazard information. It is light and has good battery time, it seems. However, anyone considering this for it's promised autoshot and round analysis features should probably stay away until Garmin decides to deliver on the Garmin Connect promises.

Very short review:

+ Competent range finder

+ Light, sleek design

+ Responsive and intuitive interface

+ Hazards information

+ Manual score keeping works well

- The "automatic" shot tracking isn't automatic

- The autoshot feature misses quite a few swings

- The post round analysis simply isn't there (at least not the fancy map...), or I have not been able to find it.

Will probably return it stating that Garmin simply didn't deliver on its promises. Or keep it and just use the distance features, in conjunction with Game Golf...

I'm playing my first round this afternoon this afternoon and will report back with results. I just turned on Shot Tracking, set Club Tracking and Scoring to "Always Ask", and will see how it goes. I'll be walking today, so should have plenty of time between shots to play around with as I walk to my next shot.

By the way, the battery life on this seems excellent as of now when just using as everyday watch with notifications, alarm, and activity tracking turned on. Will check battery life in "Golf Mode" today.

WITB:
Odyssey O-Works 7S Tank

I just turned on Shot Tracking, set Club Tracking and Scoring to "Always Ask", and will see how it goes.

Now that's really interesting. I have been asking if Autoshot could be fully automatic, or you always had to enter club info and score data, too. If there is an "Always Ask" setting, I would expect a setting which is "not asking". Could this imply that a fully automatic function is indeed available, although obviously without club info?

"Always Ask" seems to be the setting Tink was using in the review earlier. "Not ask" or whatever it's called, is much more interesting imho.

Good to see the favorable comments about this devices solid GPS rangefinder performance that actually includes hazards. Hazards has been somewhat a gap in the Garmin watch line so good to see they've closed it. Also glad to see this looks like a good fitness monitor... since I was planning on a Garmin Vivofit this year I would likely buy the S20 instead. Couldn't really care less about bluetooth notifications and autoshot but might be a bit of a novelty item worth trying.

I've played 3 rounds with the S20, and overall, it is a really nice device. As far as keeping score on it goes, after a hole concludes, it asks you for your score (offers par and you change up or down as needed), putts and whether you hit the fairway, right or left. It's really simple to use and if you hit the fairway, the green in regulation and 2 putted, you simply need to hit the OK button 3 times. Very quick/easy.

As someone said, you've got to turn on all the features for the autoshot thing to work. One thing that had me confused was in Settings I think it asks for your typical Driver distance. I was wondering why, then found out that with autoshot tracking, it uses that Driver default to offer the correct club to enter for the distance you are from the hole. Interestingly, I'd say that the club it offered was correct about 75% of the time. Cool. Anyway, after it detects that you hit a shot, it asks what club you used, again, starting with the club it thinks was most likely used (based on your default Driver distance you entered in Settings....does this make sense?). If you used a different club, you simply hit the up or down button to select the proper club and then hit the OK button. Very easy since it seems to offer the correct club most of the time.

After the round, you uses Garmin Express (on your PC) to sync your watch with the Garmin site. Once the sync is completed (just a few seconds), you select the button on Garmin Express to go to Garmin Connect. This is where your round is stored. Someone asked how to see the hole overview (If you did the autoshot thing). If you pull up the Scorecard for any of the rounds you played and then click (or maybe it was double click) on the hole you want to see, the screen will show the hole, where you hit each shot, how far you hit your shot and which club you used (as entered). If you failed to enter a club, I think it just shows ? as the club.

As per battery life, when I've completed a round, it shows that I have about 67% battery life remaining. So, it looks like it should give you about 3 rounds before needing to be re-charged. And, the charging seems to be MUCH faster than with my old S1.

All in all, this is a really nice golf watch offering several "additional' features such as scoring, autoshot tracking, etc. They've made entering data VERY easy, so you really don't fumble around with too many buttons to enter stuff. Distance is spot on too (verified with my laser rangefinder). I'm also using this device as an activity tracker, so that's another nice feature.

A couple of other observations: this thing is very easy to read in sunlight (you can set it to be black on white screen or white on black screen). It's very, very light, so you hardly feel it on your wrist. I know guys who don't like wearing watches while playing golf, but this thing is light and doesn't wiggle around when worn. I haven't messed around with syncing it with my iPhone and Garmin Connect Mobile), so I've nothing to report about that.

Sadly, the user manual doesn't get into detail about autoshot (or anything else for that matter). You've gotta kind of experiment a bit to figure stuff out, but with a few "clues" given in posts like this, it all comes together pretty quickly.

Garmin is going to sell a TON of these things. Price point is about right and the watch has several neat features. Highly recommended by this hacker!!!

This is how Garmin markets the autoshot feature:

golf.jpg

Looks nice, I guess, but I'm not able to get that view in Garmin Connect. Anyone got that nice course view to work? Is it just the usual Garmin vapor ware?

If so, I'll return the watch...

If you had Stat Tracking and Club Tracking turned on, and sync'd your watch with Garmin Connect, when you pull up your round and then pull up the score card for the round, if you click (or maybe it was double-click) on a hole, that hole overview should then be shown. Let me know if you're still having problems getting it to show, and I'll try and be more specific. Hope this helps.

Sadly, NONE of this stuff is in the rather sketchy user manual. Go figure.

Thanks "opgolfguy". I think your post was really helpful for many of us wondering about the autoshot feature. The way you described how it worked was pretty much how I thought it would be, without owning the watch yet. My only question about checking the club stats after round on Garmin Connect is, can you only check the club stats by hole? Or will it in fact give you a total or average of all your drives you took that round? If you play 10+ rounds will it give you all your stats from those rounds or is it only for the last round you played?

This is how Garmin markets the autoshot feature:

Looks nice, I guess, but I'm not able to get that view in Garmin Connect. Anyone got that nice course view to work? Is it just the usual Garmin vapor ware?

If so, I'll return the watch...

If you had Stat Tracking and Club Tracking turned on, and sync'd your watch with Garmin Connect, when you pull up your round and then pull up the score card for the round, if you click (or maybe it was double-click) on a hole, that hole overview should then be shown. Let me know if you're still having problems getting it to show, and I'll try and be more specific. Hope this helps.

Sadly, NONE of this stuff is in the rather sketchy user manual. Go figure.

Thanks for taking the time to write the review and explanation! :) I actually managed to get that hole view... For some reason the link in Garmin Connect did not work using Safari in OS X. Tried Firefox and I got the view I was looking for! Do any one now if it is possible to trigger a shot manually, so to speak? If the autoshot function does not detect the shot, that would be handy. The experience so far is that, for me, the autoshot function does NOT properly detect small chips, pitches or putting...

I'm having a hard time deciding if the autoshot and stats in Garmin Connect are just gimmicks or actually valuable. As compared to GG, that is. What do you guys think?