Club Champion (Philadelphia) Fitting review

wundej

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

I had a wedge fitting in Hackensack NJ. . It was terrible experience. It took me about 30 mins (i paid for one hour). He tried to sell me Edel wedges and each one is about $350. I wanted to try other clubs like Epon, Miura etc. but he kept on saying Edels are what I need.
Later I found that I could get an Edel wedge for about $210 with a graphite shaft and etc. He even charged me $13 for a pure grip, $30 for puring and $100 for Mamiya Recoil shaft.
It's like I paid $80 to try Edel wedges. Don't go there. Save your time and money.

[quote name='justiny' timestamp='1432302910' post='11607708']
I had a wedge fitting in Hackensack NJ. . It was terrible experience. It took me about 30 mins (i paid for one hour). He tried to sell me Edel wedges and each one is about $350. I wanted to try other clubs like Epon, Miura etc. but he kept on saying Edels are what I need.
Later I found that I could get an Edel wedge for about $210 with a graphite shaft and etc. He even charged me $13 for a pure grip, $30 for puring and $100 for Mamiya Recoil shaft.
It's like I paid $80 to try Edel wedges. Don't go there. Save your time and money.
[/quote]

I can't speak for the NJ location but I know Philly isn't like that. If you pay for a wedge fitting, you should get the time you paid for and get to try what you want.

Price wise, this isn't going to be the same as shopping at golf galaxy or an online retailer. Apples and oranges.

Either way, pay for a fitting, you should get what you paid for. I'm curious what they said when you wanted to try something else. He should have humored you even if he was sure that the edel were the best fit.

• 8 months later...

I know this thread is a couple of years old, but has anyone had a fitting at the Hackensack, NJ store recently? I see one review a year ago was not good. Thanks for any info...

I just had one last month and it lasted around 3 hours and I was happy with it.. Basically I hit some shots with my clubs to get a baseline and then we started with shafts. I tried around 10 shafts and anything I wanted to try he was fine with. Then we moved on to the heads and went through whatever I wanted. Same way with the driver and woods. Not once did he pressure me into buying anything and I asked to print me out the order sheet and my Trackman stats. This was my first time ever getting fitted and I am glad I went because my clubs were not for me. He never tried to push any brands on me.

I know this thread is a couple of years old, but has anyone had a fitting at the Hackensack, NJ store recently? I see one review a year ago was not good. Thanks for any info...

Here ya go (see around middle of page 2 on the below post).....

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1259038-club-champion-50-fittings/page__fromsearch__1

• 11 months later...

Sorry to revive this thread but I could not find the specific answer I was looking for. I currently play to a 2 handicap and am intrigued by the full fitting service club champion offers. I was fit into Ping iBlades at a golfsmith fitting a while ago and love them but was wondering if I could optimize the fit. Basically, I did not take the advice of the fitter as he clearly did not understand the process or product. His advice was all about distance and nothing in regards to dispersion so I went with the shaft I had been playing for years, the good ole Z-Z65. I shot all my best rounds with this shaft but love the feel of X100 and wanted to compare. If I did a fitting, could they reshaft what I have or do they only sell new? Additionally, it would be nice to take my driver and just buy the best shaft for my club head. I love the look and do play well with the current setup. Just want to remove any doubt that I am playing the best for me.

Sorry to revive this thread but I could not find the specific answer I was looking for. I currently play to a 2 handicap and am intrigued by the full fitting service club champion offers. I was fit into Ping iBlades at a golfsmith fitting a while ago and love them but was wondering if I could optimize the fit. Basically, I did not take the advice of the fitter as he clearly did not understand the process or product. His advice was all about distance and nothing in regards to dispersion so I went with the shaft I had been playing for years, the good ole Z-Z65. I shot all my best rounds with this shaft but love the feel of X100 and wanted to compare. If I did a fitting, could they reshaft what I have or do they only sell new? Additionally, it would be nice to take my driver and just buy the best shaft for my club head. I love the look and do play well with the current setup. Just want to remove any doubt that I am playing the best for me.

No worries with reviving old threads. It's way better to keep relevant info in one place so others can search and find it. It's actually ideal to do it this way :)

They will do whatever you want regarding club work. You pay them for the fitting and then based on the results you make a decision on what to do. They use my shafts for installs in most cases. I often have access to pulls so it saves me some cash when getting stuff installed.

• 2 weeks later...

How does Club Champion handle the Brands offering more and more shafts w/o an upcharge? Like if i was fitted for a Set of MP-5's with Project X and want a Winn Dri Tac grip...those are both 'no upcharge' choices on Mizuno's website and are clearly not "Made For" shafts---so would it just be the $1199 (or whatever the standard MP-5 price is these days) or would it be $1199 plus $25 a shaft (or whatever it is in their pricing book)?

Driver: Titleist 910 D3
3w: 915 F 15*
Hybrid: Taylormade Rescue Mid TP 16*
Irons: 3-PW Titleist DCI 822 OS
Wedges: Titleist Vokey 52 & 56
Putter: Scotty Cameron GoLo7

Club Champion has two prices- one if you want them to build it and get the parts separately (obviously more expensive) or one where the OEM builds it (obviously cheaper).

yea they told me this as well during my fitting yesterday. Was a good experience, I will prefer outside though, we couldn't get my launch angle or spin down with any combo, We ended up thinking the combo I had was the best. Ive done enough fittings to know what range I can pick shafts in and usually always works out.

• 3 months later...

I recently, went through a fitting at the Charlotte, NC facility. Great guy working there that seemed very knowledgeable and an overall great experience. I went for the sole purpose of trying a few iron shafts with the Ping i200 irons. Surprisingly, I hit the Dynamic Gold AMT Tour Issue the best. Really liked that shaft.

The pricing policy is confusing and so maybe you guys see something that I am missing. Club Champion claims to order the clubs from Ping, pull out the shafts from Ping, orders the specific shaft separately, and then builds them from the club heads up. Price was high, really high. The sales pitch was basically that Club Champion will weight-sort all shafts to make sure they match and that explains the premium price.

Here's the problem - True Temper Dynamic Gold AMT Tour Issue shafts are already weight-sorted and guaranteed to be within 0.5 gram of target weight and then, are sold only in a set so that all shafts in set match. That is from True Temper themselves. I've tried to order that iron shaft personally. They will only sell to their fitters and claim their fitters must install the shaft. (It's an expensive set at $475 for shafts only). True Temper will not sell a set to me directly, not even through a retail fitter, unless they install the shafts.

So whether I buy those shafts as a custom order from Ping (they are available) or whether I get them from Club Champion, the shafts are already weight-sorted. I cannot determine what, if any, service Club Champion has to offer to support their claim that they weight-sort iron shafts and therefore charge a premium. I suppose in most sets that is possible. But it doesn't fly with a pre-sorted shaft that is only available in a pre-sorted set.

I might be missing something but it seems to me that their price was inflated $350 for no reason - again with this specific set of iron shafts. When questioned about it, I was told that Club Champion doesn't want to compromise the integrity of what they do by subsidizing price. (Translation, please). I took that to mean they were going to charge me an additional $350 over the custom order price from Ping for no reason other than it's their policy.

I placed the order directly with Ping through another retailer and saved the $350.

The fitting process is great. Awesome really as they have every head and shaft combination you could ever hope to try. They are courteous and knowledgeable. Their fitting fees are very reasonable for what you get. But I'm not sure their model is going to work for selling a lot of clubs when most manufacturers are offering so many free upgrades on shafts today.

• 1 year later...