2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Fishing

Warrick

That settles it. This spring I'm going. Thinking of camping and launching out of Elk Neck SP

Elk Neck is one of the better MD Parks as well, so that is a good choice.

Not sure how you go about it, but "live-lining" is the most fun way of fishing rocks that I have tried. My buddy who is also with the agency is a lifelong waterman. It is the only way he does it. We go out and catch small fist sized Spot, then live fish with them. Plus, you get double the time behind the reel. (Behind the rod or pole were leaving me too open).

Yeah, if you said you had more time on your pole I would have said something ;-)

Fishing out of a kayak has always limited my live bait abilities. If you use a bucket over the side, you have to pull it up every time you paddle up to a new drift. I'm looking into getting a small battery powered cooler/aerator that would just barely fit between my feet in the cockpit. (I refuse to paddle one of those sit on top bathtubs which can carry a truckload of stuff, but will give you a cardiac if you try to paddle more than 1 mile - I like to have the ability to paddle fast and far in pursuit of prey.) I'm also looking into using an anchor so I can cast/retrieve, although I have heard using an anchor with yaks can be dangerous.

I checked a guy last year who had an insanely awesome pedal paddle system. Kayak was built for the sole purpose of fishing and it takes away the true kayak fishing, but it was awesome. Light enough to move on your own and throw in the truck, but hands were always free and you used the legs for propulsion.

Never thought about not being able to keep bait fish, that makes perfect sense. The only time I could imaging a anchor being an issue is if you are in any significant current.

Those peddle propulsion yaks are made by Hobie. They are pretty awesome as they allow you to hold position while you cast. The drawbacks are that they are like $1700 for a decent model (I paid $800 for my 17' fast as hell sit-in) and they are still heavy and have limited range. I went out a couple times with some fellow kayak fishermen using them, and after like 1 mi I looked back and I was like, 'where did they go?' It's all about trade-offs. I wish I had enough money for both, but then I would just get a 20' CC!

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Been tooo long since I was fishin.

People dont know, but if you know where to go and what to do, there are some great largemouth bass spots in NY. Not even way upstate, just 20, 30 miles from the city.

Small lakes, small, even pond size but there are some smart 5 or 6 pound bass (nice for NY!) that never been caught that if you got skills, you can have a blast.

Like, there was this spot, nobody went to, I mean nobody knows how to fish bassies in NY, I dont think but you could go with very light gear, like 4lb or 6lb test and delicate lures and topwater and catch crazy, leaping bassies, lots of 2, 3 pounders.

I went myself on my birthday morning and, man, this load of a bass just bent the pole,

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!

Goes the drag, down, down, then....

Levels off and starts climbing, climbing, Im taking slack it coming to the surface

Crash! Up, up, into the air!

brought it in, 22 inches, must have been 6 lbs

Man, thats living.

Let em all go, of course.

Gotta do some fishing ; )

Dude, you must be talking about the Croton lake system. It's part of the water system that feeds NY, about 20 mi N of NY. I remember reading a Field and Stream article about those lakes. Very little fishing pressure, full of hogs just eating alewives and freshwater shad.

Dust of your rod bsc! (that did not sound right)

I just got into fishing last year, and I am terrible, but it is so much fun. Right now just doing a lot of perch, bluegill, and a little bit of bass. Some great pictures, can't wait for Spring to get here so I can get back out there.

CJPSignatureV3.png.c58dade69e39827f99ae02c309fb82e2.png

Instagram  |  iTunes  |  SoundCloud  |  Spotify | YouTube

^^Eeeeeww! That halibut's guts are hanging out.

NIce fish, that's some good eatins there

Thats my wifes good friend and coworker she often reminds me that she's good with gaff.

Srixon ZX5  TT dynamic gold 95  PING G425 FST 43.25"  Tour Edge 721 Tensei blue 65  Mizuno T22 56* 60*  Bobby Grace AMG 6313 35"

^^Eeeeeww! That halibut's guts are hanging out.

NIce fish, that's some good eatins there

Thats my wifes good friend and coworker she often reminds me that she's good with gaff.

Looks like she missed that time!

Last Hali season nearing the end, it got really hot and there were a lot of boats on the water. We were on our last haul and the biggest yet ( fought for twenty minutes) She's standing by with the gaff and and a roller knocked her back and over the starboard gun wale. We fished her out and up. Pissed off and stompin' around the deck looking for another gaff, nothing and the big one was breaking the surface. She bounds over to the port side reaches down grabs the gill slit, just then a blue shark comes up from under and a tug of war starts with my wife holding on to her belt, Marie to the halibut and the shark thrashing about below the surface with the halibut flapping away. I look up too see boats around us with camera phones snappin away and people cheering. My wifes yellin "let the Fn' thing go or I'll let you go". Shark won the day. But the memory lives on for ol' soggy britches.

Srixon ZX5  TT dynamic gold 95  PING G425 FST 43.25"  Tour Edge 721 Tensei blue 65  Mizuno T22 56* 60*  Bobby Grace AMG 6313 35"

Cool story 2putt. Although if I were playing tug-o-war with a shark I would let the shark win. Marie must be one tough woman.

Here's a fishing story - my stepson and I were stalking up a small stream in N Jersey, and we come to a small bridge. I go up on the bridge and look down and with my polarized glasses I see a beautiful deep hole, probably 10', with lots of structure. I make a cast a little upstream and bam! I hook up with a big rainbow. Problem is I got 4 lb test, and that ain't gonna be enough to haul this thing up, and the banks are a solid wall of thorn bushes so I can't work him around to the side. So after fighting for a while, I tell my son I guess I have to cut the line, and he goes 'No!', and jumps into the stream with the net, and this is in april, so that water was cold. He scoops up the fish and works his way upstream to where he could scramble out. It was a 25" beast, and it was delicious. I let him have the prime cuts of the fillets..

Used to do a ton of bass and crappie fishing. And our other hobby was noodling at night for catfish (not noodling in the sense that you're bare hand fishing in the dark. Noodling in the sense it's a modified swimming pool noodle that has a line affixed and you bait a hook, drop them off and sit for an hour or so then go pull them in barehanded. They sell them for astronomical prices but i made 2 dozen for the cost of abut 4 using swimming pool noodles I cut and inserted a broom stick with a screw eye threaded into it with a washer on the other end so it wouldn't pull through. Basically trot lining without the line attaching all of them). But, with having 2 kids, I rarely have time any more and limit myself to 1 hobby of my own.

I'm in a very small town that has a lake association consisting of 5 large ponds. The largest and best fishing pond is across the street with a very good largemouth, crappie and bluegill fishing.

Rattletraps, dark plastic worms and spinner baits are my favs.

I've seen some 4-6 lb largemouth come out of there but I've not had the patience to go after them.

What crank and top water baits do you gentlemen recommend?

Titleist TSi3 D Smoke Black 60 5.5
Titleist TSi2 3w/7w Tensei Blue 65
Callaway Apex DCB/DG AMT Red
Titleist Vokey SM7 (Raw)
TM Spider Tour Black
Titleist ProV1
Titleist Hybrid 14
Bag Boy Nitron

I'm in a very small town that has a lake association consisting of 5 large ponds. The largest and best fishing pond is across the street with a very good largemouth, crappie and bluegill fishing.

I've seen some 4-6 lb largemouth come out of there but I've not had the patience to go after them.

For top water I absolutely love the bronze eye frog. I don't leave on a fishing trip without it. I guess you can call it my go to lure when nothing else is hitting

I hit about a 12 lb Pike the last time we were up for opening. When you are dragging bait for Walleye and a decent sized Pike hammers you, wakes you up real quick.

Nice Muskie, that takes some work...

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

TSR3 24 AV Blue X-Link 75
T150 6-G PX LZ
SM9 52/12/F-56/10/S TI S200 
Toulon Portland Garage 
ProV1x

Well, there is not a massive population, and it is a grind most won't endure. They lay back in weed beds in the summer, but are not as aggressive as Pike, can be tough to lure out. You can literally just cast your arm out.

My dad and his buddies use to go out and grind it for a day or two on their longer trips, not many caught.

My dad does have q 31lb Pike mounted on his wall from the Churchill river in Canada. He was almost spooled 3 different times (was using a lighter weight set up with 8lb test, had to chase it several times, took him over an hour to land it.

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

T150 6-G PX LZ
Toulon Portland Garage 
ProV1x

In warmer water, my go-to topwater plugs are Jitterbugs and Zara Spooks. The Zara is a lot of fun because the angler has to work it back and forth manually. Either one is great fun when a big largemouth blows you up!

Adaptive Golf.....look out for the one-armed man:

Ping G425 Max Driver, 5W, 7W....+2"

PXG 0211 hybrids, 25*, 28*, 31*….+2”

PXG 0211 8i - SW….+3” or Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

Bobby Grace F-22 side saddle

I've caught some muskies. The OP mentioned Leech, I've fished Cass which is close to Leech, a number of times. The Leech Lake strain of muskies is what is used to stock a lot of trophy musky waters. I never fished muskies on Cass, but boy oh boy we caught a lot of walleyes and perch. Those MN jumbo perch are one of my favorite things to eat.

Kevin

I've caught some muskies. The OP mentioned Leech, I've fished Cass which is close to Leech, a number of times. The Leech Lake strain of muskies is what is used to stock a lot of trophy musky waters. I never fished muskies on Cass, but boy oh boy we caught a lot of walleyes and perch. Those MN jumbo perch are one of my favorite things to eat.

Kevin

There has been some big ones taken from Leech. We have fished Cass also. Leech is a good sized lake, some big fish in there.

I definitely recognize the type of gear you are wearing, opener can be a clod b1tch some years.

Don Medici used to take a case of beer, a buddy and a few 5 gallon buckets out in front of Trader's Bay and just load up on them Perch, bring em in and do a fish fry at the lodge for everyone.

Good times man...

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

T150 6-G PX LZ
Toulon Portland Garage 
ProV1x

Kevin

There has been some big ones taken from Leech. We have fished Cass also. Leech is a good sized lake, some big fish in there.

I definitely recognize the type of gear you are wearing, opener can be a clod b1tch some years.

Don Medici used to take a case of beer, a buddy and a few 5 gallon buckets out in front of Trader's Bay and just load up on them Perch, bring em in and do a fish fry at the lodge for everyone.

Good times man...

Oh, yeah, some real trophies in Leech. I was bringing a fat perch in an ultra light one time on Cass, and had what had to be a 50"+ musky streak up and take a swipe at it at boat side. I just about crapped myself. The one in the picture is a skinny 47" fish caught on a lake about 35 minutes outside Milwaukee. November, 8. Caught it soaking a sucker. That's the biggest one I've caught, but I lost one right at the boat on Eagle Lake in Ontario that looked like a friggin submarine. It came out of a cabbage bed and hit a Double Cowgirl bucktail and then just kept coming right at the boat. Lost tension on the line and it spit the bait in my face after rolling a couple times.

I may have cried. Absolute fish of a lifetime. Hooked, then gone in about 10 seconds.

Kevin

Good times man...

Oh, yeah, some real trophies in Leech. I was bringing a fat perch in an ultra light one time on Cass, and had what had to be a 50"+ musky streak up and take a swipe at it at boat side. I just about crapped myself. The one in the picture is a skinny 47" fish caught on a lake about 35 minutes outside Milwaukee. November, 8. Caught it soaking a sucker. That's the biggest one I've caught, but I lost one right at the boat on Eagle Lake in Ontario that looked like a friggin submarine. It came out of a cabbage bed and hit a Double Cowgirl bucktail and then just kept coming right at the boat. Lost tension on the line and it spit the bait in my face after rolling a couple times.

I may have cried. Absolute fish of a lifetime. Hooked, then gone in about 10 seconds.

I may shed a tear for ya, that is a rotten feeling. They can move, and if they come at the boat, can be tough to keep em on.

That is one hell of an adrenaline rush...

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

T150 6-G PX LZ
Toulon Portland Garage 
ProV1x

Kevin

Good times man...

I may shed a tear for ya, that is a rotten feeling. They can move, and if they come at the boat, can be tough to keep em on.

That is one hell of an adrenaline rush...

I had to sit down for a while. If you ever find yourself heading to Eagle, I'll tell you the spot.

The lil woman 5'2" 130 they fought for an hour. weighing in @ 52#

Sweet 2putt. Is that a king? That's food for like 2 months..

Big ol KING. been round the Pacific only to end up in a briolier,smoker, and a bar b que.