Fishing

Warrick

I'm in a very small town that has a lake association consisting of 5 large ponds. The largest and best fishing pond is across the street with a very good largemouth, crappie and bluegill fishing.

Rattletraps, dark plastic worms and spinner baits are my favs.

I've seen some 4-6 lb largemouth come out of there but I've not had the patience to go after them.

What crank and top water baits do you gentlemen recommend?

In warmer water, my go-to topwater plugs are Jitterbugs and Zara Spooks. The Zara is a lot of fun because the angler has to work it back and forth manually. Either one is great fun when a big largemouth blows you up!

Top water largemouth fishing is the best.

Like nightime with a jitterbug...

Glug glug glug glug glug glug

Crash!

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz! Jump! Splash.

Been a while but I was good a running a 6 inch sluggo right along the surface.

Sad, my tackle box has dust on it, got crazy lures in there.

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I developed a technique of wiggling a weightless texas rigged curly or auger tail worm over/around the lily pads in the shallow cedar lakes of my area. Although, more often than not you'll just get smacked by a big nasty pickerel. Not much big bass water here, part of the reason I go out to the saltwater...

I didn't start playing golf until my mid 20's, but caught my first fish when I was 3. I stopped fishing after I got the golf bug then picked it back up a few years ago. I have a stocked river within 5 minutes and a good number of lakes/ponds in the area which helps. I now pretty much stick ultralight for everything -- typically 4lb line on a 1000 size reel. I like to think it gives the fish a fighting chance. All of these except the bass was on 4lb line. That was on a $12 reel with 6lb in about 3 feet of water through a ton of weed.

TBD

Callaway XHot 4 Wood

Cleveland Mashie Hybrid 23

Cleveland Mashie Hybrid 26

Mizuno Comp EZ 5-PW

Vokey Satin 50
Vokey Satin 58

Kingston KP1 custom stamped
ProV1x/KSig

Papa, nice fish. How do reds fight, and are they yummy?

Hogan, nice assortment of NJ species. I love catching smallies. They are like little bulldogs, they don't think you can take them with your puny 4lb test...

Thanks. Even the smallest smallies are a blast to catch on UL tackle. In fact, I have more fun catching smallies, bluegill and rock bass from rivers and streams -- they seem to be much better fighters because they have to swim in fast current. That reel that I caught that smallie on is a $12 Shimano. Zero ball-bearings, no infinite anti-reverse, far from smooth, but a reel that keeps going. I'm hard on my gear, but the thing just won't die.

TBD

Callaway XHot 4 Wood

Mizuno Comp EZ 5-PW

Vokey Satin 50
Vokey Satin 58

ProV1x/KSig

Hogan, nice assortment of NJ species. I love catching smallies. They are like little bulldogs, they don't think you can take them with your puny 4lb test...

Thug reds can fight like hell or come easy haha. It really just depends. The sandy looking red was pretty tame. I thought it was just a big blue. The last one tha I'm hanging vertical (whoops don't get mad) was my first red ever and it got me hooked on hem for life. 42 inches and made about 3 or 4 really good runs in the surf.

Eating wise they are supposedly nice. I have never caught one in the slot limit. You can only keep them in this state if they fall between 14-27" or somewhere around there. All mine have been above 30". Reason for the slot limit is due people loving so much in the 80s and 90s that they almost went bye bye so I guess ya they are pretty good haha.

Forever Changing at this point.......

Thug reds can fight like hell or come easy haha. It really just depends. The sandy looking red was pretty tame. I thought it was just a big blue. The last one tha I'm hanging vertical (whoops don't get mad) was my first red ever and it got me hooked on hem for life. 42 inches and made about 3 or 4 really good runs in the surf.

Eating wise they are supposedly nice. I have never caught one in the slot limit. You can only keep them in this state if they fall between 14-27" or somewhere around there. All mine have been above 30". Reason for the slot limit is due people loving so much in the 80s and 90s that they almost went bye bye so I guess ya they are pretty good haha.

Love the slight passive brag there! ;-)

Beautiful bucketmouths. Why do they look so clean? And they don't have that splotchy line going down the side. They look like they were scrubbed with a scotch brite pad. Gorgeous.

Im not sure why it came out that way in the picture I took it out of the live well to measure and weigh once we finished our day then took the picture. It was the best catch I had that year

Beautiful bucketmouths. Why do they look so clean? And they don't have that splotchy line going down the side. They look like they were scrubbed with a scotch brite pad. Gorgeous.

Im not sure why it came out that way in the picture I took it out of the live well to measure and weigh once we finished our day then took the picture. It was the best catch I had that year

Beautiful fish. What rig were they caught on?

TBD

Callaway XHot 4 Wood

Mizuno Comp EZ 5-PW

Vokey Satin 50
Vokey Satin 58

ProV1x/KSig

Love the slight passive brag there! ;-)

Haha had to throw it out there :)

Forever Changing at this point.......

Beautiful fish. What rig were they caught on?

Top two were caught with "junebug" and last years was with a " watermelon brushhog"

That ain't a barracuda, that's a cobia (right friday?), a mess of red snappers, a grouper, and ???

I don't really know the southern species.

It's a wahoo. My wife loves to fish. She tolerates golfing with me so she can force me to go fishing with her. (Don't tell her I really like to fish in the gulf--it will blow my cover).

Ok, ok.

Anybody do tarpon fishing? To me, that looks like the freakin insanest thing.

In Grand Cayman, there is a dive site known as Tarpon Alley. It is a big cut in the edge of a wall which goes straight down to a 4,000 ft trench, and it is always filled with gigantic tarpon. I swam alongside these fish almost as long as myself, and they did not care, but at one point I tried to touch one and it just kind of twitched and smacked my arm with its tail as it took off. Amaaaaazing.

That ain't a barracuda, that's a cobia (right friday?), a mess of red snappers, a grouper, and ???

:cheesy: Im talkin bout that bearded guy behind her :fie:

Srixon ZX5  TT dynamic gold 95  PING G425 FST 43.25"  Tour Edge 721 Tensei blue 65  Mizuno T22 56* 60*  Bobby Grace AMG 6313 35"

It's a wahoo. My wife loves to fish. She tolerates golfing with me so she can force me to go fishing with her. (Don't tell her I really like to fish in the gulf--it will blow my cover).

You got yourself a good woman there friday

Definitely not cobia. Kinda looks like a wahoo*. And, my guess would be vermillion snapper.

Went out of Ft Walton Beach once - enjoyed the diversity of the Gulf. I even enjoyed the porpoises, lol.

* Ha! Didn't see Friday's response above.

Definitely not cobia. Kinda looks like a wahoo*. And, my guess would be vermillion snapper.

Went out of Ft Walton Beach once - enjoyed the diversity of the Gulf. I even enjoyed the porpoises, lol.

* Ha! Didn't see Friday's response above.

Hey Crabby, you're a fisherman as well? You and I gonna get along well. See you back in Con11.

Ok, ok.

Went tarpon fishing on my wedding day (w/the future Mrs. Crab). Chumming in Government Cut out of Key West. Caught 5 that morning 50-100 lbs. Very exciting!

Would you stop that sh!t? Every time you mention 'Mrs Crab' I almost shoot snot out my nose. Not even sure why. Now if you refer to you family as the Crab family, and your kids as the Crab kids I don't think I can continue to read your posts......

Ok, ok.

Went tarpon fishing on my wedding day (w/the future Mrs. Crab). Chumming in Government Cut out of Key West. Caught 5 that morning 50-100 lbs. Very exciting!

Would you stop that sh!t? Every time you mention 'Mrs Crab' I almost shoot snot out my nose. Not even sure why. Now if you refer to you family as the Crab family, and your kids as the Crab kids I don't think I can continue to read your posts......

The Crab Clan? Myself, Queen Crab, my daughter, Zoea, and my son, Megalops - what's wrong with that?

Ok, ok.

The Crab Clan? Myself, Queen Crab, my daughter, Zoea, and my son, Megalops - what's wrong with that?

OMG, the Crab Clan. I will simply have to adjust to not have any liquids within my oral cavity when reading your posts. But, beware Mr Crab, I will do my utmost to make snot shoot out of your nose whenever possible!!