College Academic Majors

Vong it28 ·  
Vong it28Vong it28 Members  11WRX Points: 0Posts: 11
Joined:  edited Oct 27, 2008 in Juniors/College Golf Talk #1
What are golf related majors in college?
I love playing and and want to even turn pro someday. Just started college but don't know what to major in. Golf is my only interest and wanted to hear some recommendations about majors in college that is related to golf, majors that can help me find jobs that are golf related.
Posted:

Comments

• bk4bk4 Members  868WRX Points: 0Posts: 868
    Business
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • callawayguy10callawayguy10 Members  600WRX Points: 0Posts: 600
    well if you are looking to golf you could get a turf/grass management degree which allows you to work on golf courses or you could do a physical education degree and just become a golf coach or a secondary education degree and become a golf coach. Or like bk4 said just get a business degree. I am in college also and the best thing to do is just get your basics out of the way and then start talking to people around your college and see what other people are majoring in and base your decision on that. That's what I did I just when for the basics and went from there
    Posted:
  • GatorBaitGatorBait Members  312WRX Points: 0Posts: 312
    Professional Golf Management (PGM) is the BEST
    Posted:
  • Vong it28Vong it28 Members  11WRX Points: 0Posts: 11
    I've been told, Psychology is a good field to look into. Players like Tom Watson majored in Psychology too.
    Posted:
  • SnaxSnax Members  177WRX Points: 77Posts: 177 Fairways
    Im looking to get into the insudstry some day, and was thinking of PGM, but my school doesnt offer it, however Im majoring in Finance, which is a pretty good fit.
    Posted:
  • BogeysBGoneBogeysBGone Members  274WRX Points: 0Posts: 274
    Vong it28 wrote on Oct 27 2008, 04:52 PM:
    I love playing and and want to even turn pro someday. Just started college but don't know what to major in. Golf is my only interest and wanted to hear some recommendations about majors in college that is related to golf, majors that can help me find jobs that are golf related.

Do you want to play golf as a professional on the PGA tour? Or do you want to work in the golf industry? Or do you want a job that will allow you to play a lot of golf?

If it's the PGA Tour - then focus on your game and get a basic education. If you're already college age it may be too late to have a realistic shot to play on tour.

If you want to work in the golf industry - take 2 finance courses no matter what. Management or "travel industry management" may also help. There are a lot of schools with golf programs like Penn State I believe. Agronomy is a good one to get you as close to the grass as possible. But even if you end up working at a golf course - you won't play much golf. You'll be too busy.

I agree with the 2nd poster in this thread - if you want a job that pays well, and allows you a lot of on-course time - go into business or law. I can tell you from experience that during the spring and summer, I play at least 3 times a week, and on lots of nice courses. Of course - the point is that you get 4-5 hours alone with a business prospect and you'd better close the deal! image/smile.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

Good luck.
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • CRHgolferCRHgolfer Account Hold  396WRX Points: 0Posts: 396
    All of my friends, who were on the golf team, got degrees in Finance... A business degree is a great degree for a golfer to have. Having a good golf game in the business world is an amazing asset to have. In the end you should choose something that you are ultimately interested in and comes easy (or easier) for you.

Good luck on your choice and enjoy college, best years of your life... sad I had to go to the real world image/sad.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':(' />
    Posted:
  • italianstallionitalianstallion Bethpage Black - 8th hole Junior Mod Squad  3060WRX Points: 147Posts: 3,060 Titanium Tees
    pdobrove wrote on Oct 27 2008, 08:29 PM:
    All of my friends, who were on the golf team, got degrees in Finance... A business degree is a great degree for a golfer to have. Having a good golf game in the business world is an amazing asset to have. In the end you should choose something that you are ultimately interested in and comes easy (or easier) for you.

Good luck on your choice and enjoy college, best years of your life... sad I had to go to the real world image/sad.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':(' />

Finance or Accounting are two of the more marketable business degrees. I'm taking accounting, but if I get into the golf industry I will be owning a course, not being a pro at one.
    Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.