OFFICIAL GolfWeek/Golf Channel Am Tour Thread

CassinoNorth

[quote name='3 Jack South' timestamp='1374768267' post='7536994']
I'm not sure why either, it is just the rules.[b] I believe it has something to do with preventing cheating[/b]. Like having a witness/cart buddy in sight.
[/quote]

That was honestly my first thought, but then I was thinking "no way that would be the case when it's in a tourney like this". I wouldn't think guys would try and cheat when playing in something like this, but if real money is on the line, I guess you never know who would try what. I'm sure they have their reasons and it's too bad if the rule is for that reason.

Ping G400 Max UST Proforce V2
TM M5 15* UST Proforce V2
Callaway Apex UW 19* PX HZRDUS Smoke Black
Srixon ZX5 - 4&5 MMT 105

Srixon ZX7 - 6-PW MMT 105
Edel SMS 50V/54V/58T Nippon 125
Odyssey MXM #1W

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I played the Golfweek Tour in Houston until I had back surgery last year. Shortly after my surgery, the director gave it up, and there was no Houston tour this year. I played on it for 3 or 4 years. It was a ton of fun, but at the end, it just got pathetic. When I started, we would have 60-70 players show up for the tournaments, which by some posts here, is not many, but it seemed like plenty. Each year, membership declined until last year it go so bad that we would show up and there would be no champ flight, 1-3 A flight (my flight) and maybe 6 or 7 others making the rest of the flights. It got so bad we played "winner take all" because of how few people there were. Even with that, you would pay $100 to play a $40 course, and leave with $20-$60.

When he gave up the director role, he said in his message that the national director would be appointing a new Houston tour director in time for the '13 season. Ya, that message is still up on the website, and there isnt a schedule or anything on the national site relating to the Houston tour.

I've thought about joining the GC Am Tour in Houston, but since my back surgery, I dont play as well as I used to, and I dont get the opportunity to practice as much as I used to, so I just dont think it would be a wise use of my money to spend over $100 on a tournament if I am not as consistent as I once was. I can go out and shoot a 74-75, and the next round might be a 90. I cant justify spending that kind of money playing like that. Perhaps one day I'll get back into it, but for now, I will enjoy my casual golf with the occasional work sponsored scramble.

• 1 month later...

Does anyone have any idea when the Golf Channel Am Tour will post its 2014 schedule? I'm planning to play in the New Jersey Tour. I'd like to start making my plans, especially for events played this fall (last year three tournaments were played in October), but I can't get anyone associated with the tour to respond to phone calls or emails. It's very frustrating. :(

[quote name='DanMaurer' timestamp='1379986634' post='7900749']
Does anyone have any idea when the Golf Channel Am Tour will post its 2014 schedule? I'm planning to play in the New Jersey Tour. I'd like to start making my plans, especially for events played this fall (last year three tournaments were played in October), but I can't get anyone associated with the tour to respond to phone calls or emails. It's very frustrating. :(
[/quote]

I play Am Tour in Texas. We start the 2nd week of October I think (nothing posted yet). I got an email the other days saying the first few tournaments will be posted when Nationals are over. I would keep an eye on the website this week, Nationals are over tomorrow. Some of the Majors have already been posted. I would expect to see some of your local tournaments start to pop up this week. It all just depends on when your locals start.

[quote name='rockinar' timestamp='1380599033' post='7935713']
[quote name='DanMaurer' timestamp='1379986634' post='7900749']
[/quote]

I play Am Tour in Texas. We start the 2nd week of October I think (nothing posted yet). I got an email the other days saying the first few tournaments will be posted when Nationals are over. I would keep an eye on the website this week, Nationals are over tomorrow. Some of the Majors have already been posted. I would expect to see some of your local tournaments start to pop up this week. It all just depends on when your locals start.
[/quote]

We got the list of Major tournaments at Sr Nationals (don't have it with me at work) and Pinehurst is on again. I talked to the Dallas director(Scott Chilcutt)and he has Champions Circle, TX Star and Rock Creek coming soon.
One thing they offered was the opportunity for 25 players to donate $25 to Troops First to get a reserved spot for a Major. Assume they also offered it for the open group so I figure Pinehurst already has 50 spots reserved.
No word on 2014 Nationals - just speculation.....

[quote name='BrettB97' timestamp='1380829541' post='7948717']
Does anybody play in a Houston tour? I was debating joining one of the HAGA, GC, GW tours this coming year but wanted some feedback. What to expect as a tournament newbie, etc.
[/quote]

Golf Channel AM Tour has a pretty big following in Houston. Good thing about the AM tour is that as a member you can play any event in any city.

• 2 weeks later...

My buddy Xerxes Nabong had a hole-in-one yesterday in the LAVA Cup. He had a solid bar tab that day.

I will be playing the Tidewater Section next year after patiently awaiting getting status back.

Callaway Epic Flash SZ w/ Hzardus Smoke
TM UDI 20* w/ RIP Tour 90
Callaway Apex Pro 19 4-PW
Mack Daddy 4 52/10 S Grind
Mack Daddy 58/10 PM Grind
Taylormade Spider X

I used to play on the Am tour in Tidewater back in mid 2000s. That tour is very strong. Their director, Lyle, has really done a great job and is a relly good guy. I moved to Huntsville, Alabama 7 years ago and there really isnt a good tour anywhere in North Alabama. I will either have to play Am tour out of Nashville or Birmingham. Problem with those are that their tournamts are 2 hours away, sometimes more.

Great times. I went to the tour champ in Myrtle Beach one year and completely bombed. LOL!!

PXG Black Ops Tour driver 

PXG g5 3 wood

PXG Black Ops 17* hybrid

TaylorMade Qi10 5 wood

TaylorMade P770 4-9 KBS Tour

TaylorMade MG4 46/52/58wedges

Bettinardi BB1 putter

• 1 month later...

Does anyone play GC Am tour in the Pittsburgh area? There does not seem to be many people in the tournaments but was curious if anyone had first hand experience.

Ping G430 LST 10.5 - Ping Tour 2.0 Black 65
Ping G430 Max 15 - Ping Tour 2.0 Black 75
TM Sim 19° - Accra TZ6 85h
Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW - Nippon 105
Mizuno T22 50S - Nippon 105

Mizuno T22 54D, 58C - Nippon 115 Wedge
Bettinardi Queen B 6
ProV1

• 1 month later...

I am happy they are playing more in the Syracuse area.... we had a chapter here but it dissolved back in 2008 I believe... then Rochester... it too went... now there is Buffalo but that was too far.... this year they are playing quite a few tournament closer to me... so I may join it again.

Ping G400 Max AD IZ 6s
2016 TI M2 HL AD IZ 7s
M2 4h AD DI 8s
Ping G400 5hy ADDI 9s
718 TMB 6-Gap Modus 130s
Scratch 53 Modus 125
Scratch 57 Modus 125
PXG 03x 60* Modus 125

Scotty Cameron Custom 009 HHH

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/982109-joes-witb-set-for-2014-update-2015/#entry10682349"]WITB Link[/url]

• 2 months later...

ive been playing the am tour for 3 years now. It has it pros and cons. The pros are you can play every week if you wanted to all around your state or area whatever it be. It has major 2 day tourneys all over the U.S it has one day tourneys and then the nationals a 4 day tourney somewhere nice, and the best its stroke play against players of your OWN skill Now the cons are you pay way to much to play! usually 120-140 for a 40- to 60 course. If you win your flight in which in my area is about 20 players on most days. You probably win that money back. second place would get about 3/4 back and 3 would get about half back. In my opinion that's horrible. There is a yearly 200 membership fee.
All in all its fun, its competitive, its well run, but for me no longer worth the $$$ I enjoy playing golf to much to throw that kind of cash away. But I feel every competitive golf deserves it to there self to try it for a year. Save up lots of money is all I can advise..

• 1 year later...

I just joined the gcamtour and registered for the Ohio Old Course Open on the Ohio - Cincinnati/Louisville tour. I'll likely register for the Kentucky Bourbon Bowl and then probably ~1 per month going forward.

Looking forward to getting to play nice courses around the area with predetermined groups, and a fun and competitive environment to push myself to play better.

ive been playing the am tour for 3 years now. It has it pros and cons. The pros are you can play every week if you wanted to all around your state or area whatever it be. It has major 2 day tourneys all over the U.S it has one day tourneys and then the nationals a 4 day tourney somewhere nice, and the best its stroke play against players of your OWN skill Now the cons are you pay way to much to play! usually 120-140 for a 40- to 60 course. If you win your flight in which in my area is about 20 players on most days. You probably win that money back. second place would get about 3/4 back and 3 would get about half back. In my opinion that's horrible. There is a yearly 200 membership fee.

All in all its fun, its competitive, its well run, but for me no longer worth the $$$ I enjoy playing golf to much to throw that kind of cash away. But I feel every competitive golf deserves it to there self to try it for a year. Save up lots of money is all I can advise..

Welcome to America... I love this country but if you're a competitive amateur then Europe is a lot friendlier on the wallet. Though, if you're not a lazy bum this is the place to be career wise!