andrew_m WITB Fall 17 - Blacked out M1 430, M2 DF, MB Smoke, Kia Ma

Personal stuff: I'm a University of San Diego alum at law school in the South. Hope to return to San Diego after law school, would like to do federal prosecution and drug enforcement

I really like the older Taylormade gear from 2007-2010. I have never hit a set of irons I like more than the TB MB Smoke. My eternal struggle is figuring out the gap between my 3w and my highest iron. I have too many clubs and not enough space in the bag.

Anyway, on to the clubs.

My head covers are from my favorite club in Portland, The Oregon Golf Club. I adore that course--it gets a lot of hate on here, but I think it's got incredible variety and a ton of shotmaking options. My putter cover is from Langdon Farms, another favorite. I have a white Ping Moonlite II bag, and I got my towel from the course I play most often here in San Diego.

It took a while to figure out the best configuration of clubs, but I'm really pleased with my final. I will likely never be happy with the configuration of my bag and I have accepted this now. I was delusional.

The Superdeep is the most workable driver I've ever played, and I really like how small the head looks at address. I also like the all-black look. Call me crazy, but the white heads distract me in my downswing. I've been playing sets of the TP MB irons since 2008, and although there are blades that have softer feel (the Mizuno MP-32 comes to mind), nothing beats the look of the TP MB Smoke irons to me. The look of having all the irons in your set, including wedges, match is very attractive to me, so I have Tour Proto rac Z TP smoke wedges--on the hunt for a gap wedge.

I actually just got this putter, although it's one I've wanted for a long time. I need a bit more stability than a blade, and the Kia Ma Maranello with the milled face is really pretty. Hoping to have it refinished in Satin Black soon to make it look new again. I'm on the hunt for any Kia Ma headcover, white or black, they're impossible to find and I will probably end up paying an absurd amount.

I've tried every set of TM blades that have come out since they discontinued these, but nothing is as pretty to me.

I still catch myself staring at them, even though I've been playing TP MB's since 2008.

Similarly, I haven't found a fairway wood I like more than this, although the Callaway X2 Hot came close. I call this 3 wood the Par 5 Punisher, haha.

Here's my backup bag. Tour Issue Tour Burner TP I got off the BST; the first time I tried the Tour Burner was on a Bandon Trip when it first came out. I played a demo round with it on Pacific Dunes, and I've been fond of it ever since. 2007 Rescue TP, 17 degrees, Bassara X flex. The last hybrid Taylormade made that I really loved, though, for what it's worth, I also have and love the original Adams Idea Pro in 20 and a terrifying Bridgestone J33 15 degree hybrid. I also have the 3 driving iron in this bag, need to get it reshafted though. The current shaft is very bendy. I also have my high school irons in this bag--TP MB Satin. Still a great-looking club, but not as jaw-droppingly pretty as the Smokes. These have Rifle 6.0's in them, but the launch was a bit low. The TTDG X100's I have in my smokes launch higher and land nice and soft. Wedges are old, old, old X-Forged and I have my trusty Cameron Studio Style Newport 2.

Thanks for looking!

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Awesome sets and pictures! You're right up the road from me, I'll be playing Balboa Park this weekend. Are the irons and wedges groove conforming, and if not does it concern you?

Titleist 910D3 9.5* AD-BB 6x
TEE CB2 15* ProForce V2 75s
TEE CB2 18* ProForce V2 75s
Ping i20 20* TFC707H 82s
Mizuno MP-14 3-PW S300
Vokey Oil Can SM4 58.06*
WITB Link

[quote name='VanBTs' timestamp='1428549943' post='11316593']
Awesome sets and pictures! You're right up the road from me, I'll be playing Balboa Park this weekend. Are the irons and wedges groove conforming, and if not does it concern you?
[/quote]

Thank you! If by "concerned" you mean terrified that I'll have to find new irons before taking my playing test, then yes, I am concerned! My irons are in the "Additional Testing Required" category, which is not a pleasant feeling. I love Balboa Park, I like playing around sunset to minimize people on the course, and see the sun set over downtown.

Great stuff! I love those smoke MB's

[color=#ff0000]Teaching out of Crystal Springs Golf Course[/color]<br /><br />Golf Digest Best Teachers In California 2005-2018<br /><br />Golf Digest Best Young Teachers In America 2007-2012<br /><br />[color=#0000ff]Head Men's Golf Coach Notre Dame de Namur [/color][color=#0000FF]University [/color]<br /><br />[color=#DAA520]My WITB[/color]<br /><br /><br /><br />[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/430688-zach-heussers-golf-clubs-putter-collection-and-man-cave-pics/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...-man-cave-pics/[/url]<br />@Zheusser on twitter

[quote name='Zach Heusser' timestamp='1428558410' post='11317087']
Great stuff! I love those smoke MB's
[/quote]

Thank you! They really never get old, and I love how small the club looks at address--probably because of the smoke finish. The satin ones look a bit bigger just because of the finish.

[quote name='trbgolfer' timestamp='1428560997' post='11317157']
SO SWEET! I used to want those irons SO bad and I would play them right now! Well Done! Best to you in the future.
[/quote]

I bought the satin ones used in high school and I always wanted the smokes!!

Great bag(s) man! I still swithc back and forth between and tour issue supertri 8.5 and a Tour Issue r9 460 depending on conditions. They aren't the longest drivers in the world but man are they consistently in the middle of the fairway. Love them. I am changing back to an old r9 15* fairway too as it is so much better off the deck than my RBZ stage 2. Great stuff!!

G430 LST 10.5* - Tensei Pro White 60X
SIM2 15* - ADIZ 7X
SIM2 19* - Kai'li 80X
MP18 MMC FLIHI 23* + New Level CB 623CB 5-PW- AMT TI X100
SM9 50.08, 54.10*, & SM8 58.12D*-DG S200
OG Double Wide + PRO V1X

[quote name='blakesmittkamp' timestamp='1428686309' post='11328281']
Great bag(s) man! I still swithc back and forth between and tour issue supertri 8.5 and a Tour Issue r9 460 depending on conditions. They aren't the longest drivers in the world but man are they consistently in the middle of the fairway. Love them. I am changing back to an old r9 15* fairway too as it is so much better off the deck than my RBZ stage 2. Great stuff!!
[/quote]

Man, the R9 fairways are something else. They feel so solid, I really want a tour issue 4 wood. On a related note, if you ever want to sell that 460, let me know!! I love that club.

You have put together a very classy set of clubs. I used to own the R9 fairway wood. I found it easy to get the ball up in the air with it and it provided excellent distance. While I've moved on to the X2 Hot, I recall the club at address just gave one such a feeling of confidence!

G410 Plus 10.5
X2 Hot 3 Wood
X2 Hot 5 Wood
G410 19, 22, and 26 degree hybrids
G25 6 - UW
Titleist Vokey Spin Mill 56.14
SC Futura X 33 "

[quote name='andrew_m' timestamp='1428689286' post='11328481'][quote name='blakesmittkamp' timestamp='1428686309' post='11328281']
[/quote]

Man, the R9 fairways are something else. They feel so solid, I really want a tour issue 4 wood. On a related note, if you ever want to sell that 460, let me know!! I love that club.[/quote]

You got it man! Good luck this season.

SIM2 15* - ADIZ 7X
SIM2 19* - Kai'li 80X
OG Double Wide + PRO V1X

Also looks like you have tour issue adaptors on both the driver and fairway,no? Look much thinner than the retail ones I have.

SIM2 15* - ADIZ 7X
SIM2 19* - Kai'li 80X
OG Double Wide + PRO V1X

[quote name='blakesmittkamp' timestamp='1428723771' post='11332151']
Also looks like you have tour issue adaptors on both the driver and fairway,no? Look much thinner than the retail ones I have.
[/quote]

Good spot! I get the faces a bit more open with the tour adaptors. Otherwise everything hooks!!

[quote name='shortgame85' timestamp='1428706293' post='11330425']
You have put together a very classy set of clubs. I used to own the R9 fairway wood. I found it easy to get the ball up in the air with it and it provided excellent distance. While I've moved on to the X2 Hot, I recall the club at address just gave one such a feeling of confidence!
[/quote]

Thanks!! It means a lot. It wouldn't take much to get me to the X2 Hot....I love the metallic sound at impact and it'd probably just have to be the right shaft. The R9 FW just makes you feel like you can make whatever score you want!

[quote name='andrew_m' timestamp='1428731808' post='11332569'][quote name='blakesmittkamp' timestamp='1428723771' post='11332151']
[/quote]

Good spot! I get the faces a bit more open with the tour adaptors. Otherwise everything hooks!![/quote]

Good call. I found the tour issue paint break to give the r9 fairway the appearance of an open face angle at address. Seeing so much face at address really inspires confidence in my game!

SIM2 15* - ADIZ 7X
SIM2 19* - Kai'li 80X
OG Double Wide + PRO V1X

• 2 weeks later...

Those are some sweet irons! Nice bag :-)

I love golf

Driver:  2018 Cally Rogue 10.5* (Set to 12.5*)

Fairway Metals:  Ping G30 14.5* and 18*

Irons:   PXG Gen3 0311P (4-G) MMT80 Stiff

Wedges:  PXG 0311 Forged 54*/58* MMT80 Stiff

Putter:  Odyssey Stroke Lab “Double Wide” 34”

Bag:  G-Fore Daytona Plus (AKA: Vessel Lite)

Those are some sweet irons! Nice bag :-)

I love golf

Driver:  2018 Cally Rogue 10.5* (Set to 12.5*)

Fairway Metals:  Ping G30 14.5* and 18*

Irons:   PXG Gen3 0311P (4-G) MMT80 Stiff

Wedges:  PXG 0311 Forged 54*/58* MMT80 Stiff

Putter:  Odyssey Stroke Lab “Double Wide” 34”

Bag:  G-Fore Daytona Plus (AKA: Vessel Lite)

• 2 months later...

Wanted to post a quick update, because a couple new clubs made their way into the stable.

First, I made a post about this in the equipment forum--I bought a club described as a R9 TP Driving Iron on eBay a while back. I'd never heard of Taylormade even producing this club, but I was curious and it was like $35 or something so I bought it. As it turns out, it's just a regular R9 TP 3i. Easier to hit than my blades, but I prefer the 08 Tour Preferred 2DI I got off the BST. It's more consistently straight and I prefer the lower ballflight.

[attachment=2824830:r9 tp head.png]

[attachment=2824832:di comparison.png]

Second, I was at the golf shop today and found this in the used bin--Tour Issue RBZ Stage 2 with a Fujikura Fuel 60 Tour Spec X shaft, priced at $99. It's in perfect shape, it looks like someone only used it at the range. Just a bit of dirt on the crown and no scratches on the face or sole.

I traded in a couple old clubs and walked out with it for $52, which felt like highway robbery. It caught my eye and I thought I'd just pull the shaft and throw it in another club, but I hit it a few times and it feels great. Just a really solid driver head--I've only owned one white driver before, and it was a bit distracting, but I was gaining 8-10 mph in ball speed over the two drivers I've been experimenting with and the standard deviation in distance from the center went way down with the RBZ. Got home and couldn't wait to share it.

[attachment=2824836:rbz head.png]

[attachment=2824838:rbz serial no.png]

[attachment=2824842:rbz face.png]

[attachment=2824840:rbz shaft.png]

[attachment=2824834:rbz address.png]

I can't wait to try out the driver. The R9 TP will probably end up gathering dust, unfortunately.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='b_teet' timestamp='1435376296' post='11842978']
New driver set up looks like it'll be a monster. Unreal steal for $52!
[/quote]

Took it out last Thursday, good god man. It sounds muted and the thing just takes off like a rocket. Headed to Northern Michigan in a few weeks, and I'm feeling much better with this than I was with any of my other options. Just a few other kinks to work out. (Hint: it's putting.)

• 8 months later...

Thought I should do a little update. Added a few things to the bag, and have a few decisions to make.

Quick personal update: law school is the worst thing ever. I've never had this much work in my life. 5 weeks until finals and I think I'd rather go live in a shack on the beach than finish up the semester.

My birthday's coming up, so when I saw these on the BST (for a great price) I had to get them. Had them shipped to CA because I'll be playing there next. I've wanted some since I saw them on Scotty's bag on Pure745's WITB and I can't wait to see them in person.

Next, a nice tour issue OG RBZ tour spoon. I saw this on the BST and the seller noted he had a tough time getting it up in the air. How hard could it be, I thought to myself when I got it. I'm here to report, very hard. I hit worm burners with this thing unless it's off the tee, and even then it's 50/50. Let this be a lesson.

I mentioned above that I wanted an R9 TP 4w. I was looking for a tour issue one to match my TS, but ended up getting this retail one on the 'bay. Haven't had a chance to hit it yet.

I had a few drinks one night and bought this tour issue RBZ S2 5-wood off the BST. Hoping to have a little competition for the spot in the bag between this, the 4w, the 2h, and the 2 driving iron.

Finally, I got this Seamus headcover in February, and it is awesome. Quality is stellar, really nice feel to the fabric, and the pattern is beautiful. I want the aqua putter cover to go with it.

I'd like to test the HZRDUS black in the next few weeks in my driver and the driving irons, and want to get the fairway set I end up going with reshafted with a couple Fuji Pro Tour Specs. I'll post a shot of the bag when I get the new covers on. Playing at Encinitas Ranch and the Crossings at Carlsbad next week with an old friend who's going to be visiting from Oregon.

Nice updates and I like that you have found a group of clubs that you like/suit your play!

Best of luck with law school, I can only imagine how intense a course like that would be (I am a builder, my course was substantially easier I bet!) but you should stick at it, you will reap the benefits later on in life for sure.

• 2 weeks later...

Had an awesome time back home this weekend. I was pretty rusty, but had a blast catching up with my buddy and we played 36 in a day, which was a bit insane (I ended up looking like a lobster), but the weather could not have been better. Crossings was in great shape, greens were pure and fast, and Encinitas is a great place to have a more relaxed round and watch the sunset.

I purchased a HZRDUS Black for my RBZ S2 fairway. The head feels awesome, but it's just launching too high with the Motore F3. I only hit a couple shots with it on the course because it was just ballooning all over the place. I was bombing the 2 driving iron all weekend, but I really want to like the 5w. Need to figure out a place to get the shaft pulled and replaced. Any suggestions there are definitely appreciated.