Guitar/guitar players thread

I coulda sworn there was a thread on this already, but I did a search, and nada. Even if there were, it is so buried might as well start a new one. Oh yeah you bass players are included as guitarists.

I'm thinking mention what song(s) you love to play (instead of just genres) and why.

I haven't played since around new year's, been working on travel a lot, but in anticipation of being able to stay home more and maybe play with my buds from an old band, I put some new Boomers on my Tele and plugged in. Man, I miss playing, miss that sound. Felt good!

I always enjoyed playing Tom Petty 'I Need to Know'. Simple, fun, driving Tele sound, and we put an extended guitar solo in in. Always a crowd pleaser.

^^^^ This... 335 and 355... Love Gibsons... sound, quality, feel, have always been a winner. That being said, I also like the Gibson Les Paul as well.

I've always found Sweetwater a fun place to go drool ---> http://www.sweetwater.com/

Played in several bands when I was younger, just rhythm though, not lead so probably can't answer your question like some others. My style would be more like the Eagles etc.

Have some fun with open G tuning, several songs out there with that (a la Keith Richards)

I want to learn to play the bass guitar. Can I teach myself?

Of course. There's tons of online downloadable instruction. I would not recommend just picking up an ax and going it alone, although I did, but I had friends to learn with who were taking lessons (I just realized that I leeched off of them, yes!) One thing that really helps is if you have an 'ear'. If you can separate out and vocally hum the chord/bass progression of a song, you can pretty much pick up anything.

Purchased my daughter a Tim Armstrong Gretsch with bigsby recently.she plays left and loves the sound.rocky street sounds in New York.these guys are awesome.shipped to Canada with no issues.

I have an ovation that I tinker with.

What model is your Ovation?

Srixon ZX5  TT dynamic gold 95  PING G425 FST 43.25"  Tour Edge 721 Tensei blue 65  Mizuno T22 56* 60*  Bobby Grace AMG 6313 35"

Celebrity deluxe.just had a set up done on it new strings.sounds awesome.

Ovations have a great bright sound, they really project. Never liked the way they slide off your lap though..

:cheesy: Only guitar I had/have that doesn't get buckle rash.

Srixon ZX5  TT dynamic gold 95  PING G425 FST 43.25"  Tour Edge 721 Tensei blue 65  Mizuno T22 56* 60*  Bobby Grace AMG 6313 35"

Celebrity deluxe.just had a set up done on it new strings.sounds awesome.

Ovations have a great bright sound, they really project. Never liked the way they slide off your lap though..

:cheesy: Only guitar I had/have that doesn't get buckle rash.

An Ovie might actually give your belt buckle a rash.

My buddie once wanted me to try his new PRS, and I had my shirt untucked covering my belt buckle, but to make sure took my belt off...

I'm a 335/345/355 nut and love playing Freddie King songs such as 'Tore Down' and 'have you ever loved a woman'

Yessir, The old school classic blues/rock sound. That's the one sound I can't create with my Tele or humbucker Schecter. My many other addictions preclude me from even contemplating purchasing a guitar like that. Sigh...

I used to play everyday for years. I was in a band that was signed to a larger minor label. I got to tour and record, which was a lot of fun. I got paid (well not really much at all) to see the country.

That being said, after all of the touring and non stop playing, I got burnt out a little bit, I didn't play guitar for a couple of years and now I just starting to get the itch again.

Personally, I enjoy playing a little bit of everything from Aerosmith to Alice in Chains to Slayer and everything in between.

Ping G30 SFT (RIp Alpha)
Taylormade Jetspeed 3 Wood (RIP Alpha)
Taylormade SLDR 5 Wood (Kai'li)
Ping G25 (4-U) (Nippon 950gh)
Taylormade ATV 58*
Bettinardi Signature 6

Purchased my daughter a Tim Armstrong Gretsch with bigsby recently.she plays left and loves the sound.rocky street sounds in New York.these guys are awesome.shipped to Canada with no issues.

I have an ovation that I tinker with.

Good for her, and you made a good pick- Gretsch's are nice. I would suggest she always use the string sizes that it came with (or whatever they recommended since it has a bigsby .011 to .048 or more maybe?) She should have fun with that...

Seriously guys if u are in the market for a new guitar the guys from street sounds will hook you up

I don't get paid to advertise them but they are the real deal .purchased ax synth as well from alto music from New York

Fantastic to deal with.wish Canadian dollar was close to par Maui would be on the radar again

As Richard says fairways and greens lads

I play a Martin DR and have an Epiphone Les Paul. I like to play along with the Cars and the Strokes. I go through phases though.

That guitar player for the Cars was really good. His playing defined that industrial post glam pop sound of the Cars. And his leads were sick.

Elliot Easton. I love his playing. Quirky/rockabilly/bluesy all at the same time. He bends a note and you know it's him. The sign of great guitar player.

I AM AN FBI AGENT!!!!

I play a Martin DR and have an Epiphone Les Paul. I like to play along with the Cars and the Strokes. I go through phases though.

That guitar player for the Cars was really good. His playing defined that industrial post glam pop sound of the Cars. And his leads were sick.

Elliot Easton. I love his playing. Quirky/rockabilly/bluesy all at the same time. He bends a note and you know it's him. The sign of great guitar player.

This post just made 'Touch and Go' pop into my head. Now that was a great guitar solo. Beautiful structure and phrasing.

This post just made 'Touch and Go' pop into my head. Now that was a great guitar solo. Beautiful structure and phrasing.

Oh yeah, I love this solo. The outro is also incredible. My favorite solo by him is "Shake it Up". It is so fast and catchy. I can't imagine the song without it. I also love the solo and outro in "You're All I've Got Tonight" as well. He is incredibly underrated. He is in a new group called the Empty Hearts with guys from the Romantics, Heart, and Blondie. They are pretty good as well, but the Cars also had great bass lines from Ben Orr. Such a great band IMO. My Dad even likes them!! His vinyl goes from Waylon, Willie, Buddy Holly, to the Cars!

I AM AN FBI AGENT!!!!

Oh yeah, I love this solo. The outro is also incredible. My favorite solo by him is "Shake it Up". It is so fast and catchy. I can't imagine the song without it. I also love the solo and outro in "You're All I've Got Tonight" as well. He is incredibly underrated. He is in a new group called the Empty Hearts with guys from the Romantics, Heart, and Blondie. They are pretty good as well, but the Cars also had great bass lines from Ben Orr. Such a great band IMO. My Dad even likes them!! His vinyl goes from Waylon, Willie, Buddy Holly, to the Cars!

Totally agree. Any decent guitarist can create a solo if they're given no constraints. However, Easton's solos almost always had to fit within 8 or 16 bars. He was classic "less-is-more". He didn't simply try to jam in as many notes as possible, but rather focused on something catchy.

My favorite solo is also "Shake It Up". "My Best Friend's Girl", "Just What I Needed", "Double Life", and "Touch and Go" are also classic.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

I want to learn to play the bass guitar. Can I teach myself?

Yes, probably the easiest instrument to pick up. There are plenty of instructional videos available to help.

For starters, pick up a decent used Fender Precision bass. A recent American model if you can afford it, but the lower priced Mexican built models are playable. If you decide not to stick with it, the Fenders hold their value, and you'll break even or lose a handful of dollars on resale. Trying to learn on a piece of junk is frustrating. Playing on a quality instrument is easier, which encourages you to play more.

Second recommendation is to start by playing with your fingers, and not a guitar pick. It's easier to play with a pick at first, but avoid the temptation.

Thirdly, accept that the bass is a rhythm instrument, and not a lead instrument. I've seen too many wannabe guitarists pick up the bass, and try to play it like a guitar. The world has enough guitarists, but not enough bassists. Personally, I prefer the less-is-more school of bass. One doesn't need to play a zillion notes to make a good bass line. For the most part, the best bass lines are fairly simple. Your main focus is on the drummer's bass drum.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0