Guitar/guitar players thread

I want to learn to play the bass guitar. Can I teach myself?

Thirdly, accept that the bass is a rhythm instrument, and not a lead instrument. I've seen too many wannabe guitarists pick up the bass, and try to play it like a guitar. The world has enough guitarists, but not enough bassists. Personally, I prefer the less-is-more school of bass. One doesn't need to play a zillion notes to make a good bass line. For the most part, the best bass lines are fairly simple. Your main focus is on the drummer's bass drum.

Tell that to Primus!

By all means you are correct, but playing bass properly is not easier than any other instrument.

Ping G30 SFT (RIp Alpha)
Taylormade Jetspeed 3 Wood (RIP Alpha)
Taylormade SLDR 5 Wood (Kai'li)
Ping G25 (4-U) (Nippon 950gh)
Taylormade ATV 58*
Bettinardi Signature 6

Bell witch is a band I just saw in concert.doom metal band just 2 guys a drummer and 6 stright base guy. Very awesome stuff. This guy is an amazing base player. Second les claypool is a freak on the bass. Cliff burton is my all Time favorite.

I used to be a drummer, and i am thinking about a set. I found a great deal. I might just pick them up

G400 Max 9* Ping tour 65r   

G410 17.5* Atmos Blue 7r

G25 23* oban devotion

G400 5-U AWT 2.0

Tour-W 56* AWT

Karsten Craz-e

Black Hoofer C-1 

K Sig

Thirdly, accept that the bass is a rhythm instrument, and not a lead instrument. I've seen too many wannabe guitarists pick up the bass, and try to play it like a guitar. The world has enough guitarists, but not enough bassists. Personally, I prefer the less-is-more school of bass. One doesn't need to play a zillion notes to make a good bass line. For the most part, the best bass lines are fairly simple. Your main focus is on the drummer's bass drum.

Tell that to Primus!

By all means you are correct, but playing bass properly is not easier than any other instrument.

Agreed. Bass in modern pop does not showcase the instrument at all. When I was a kid "Ramble On" by Led Zeppelin came on and my dad pointed out the bass. I had never noticed the bass guitar in a song before that, but it was so distinct and complimentary to the melody.

Since then I have sought out bands that have great bassists. John Entwistle from the Who, Nikolai Fraiture of the Strokes, Ben Orr of the Cars, and of course John Paul Jones of Led Zeppelin. As a side note, my favorite bass line ever is during the solo in "Five Minutes Alone" by Pantera. Rex's bass during that part never fails to get my blood pumping. (Not a metaller anymore, but was big time during my teen years in the 90's)

I AM AN FBI AGENT!!!!

Tell that to Primus!

Agreed. Bass in modern pop does not showcase the instrument at all. When I was a kid "Ramble On" by Led Zeppelin came on and my dad pointed out the bass. I had never noticed the bass guitar in a song before that, but it was so distinct and complimentary to the melody.

Since then I have sought out bands that have great bassists. John Entwistle from the Who, Nikolai Fraiture of the Strokes, Ben Orr of the Cars, and of course John Paul Jones of Led Zeppelin. As a side note, my favorite bass line ever is during the solo in "Five Minutes Alone" by Pantera. Rex's bass during that part never fails to get my blood pumping. (Not a metaller anymore, but was big time during my teen years in the 90's)

Ya don't look that old. How bout Geddy Lee

Srixon ZX5  TT dynamic gold 95  PING G425 FST 43.25"  Tour Edge 721 Tensei blue 65  Mizuno T22 56* 60*  Bobby Grace AMG 6313 35"

My 2 biggest influences as a bass guitarist were Geddy Lee and Sting. You probably couldn't get two more different approaches to the instrument, especially when you consider that each was in a 3 piece band. Geddy filled a lot of space with a lot of complex arrangements, but he was always locked on to Neil's kit. Sting spent more time not playing notes than playing them, but had many memorable bass lines, including Walking on the Moon, and Roxanne.

The point I'm trying to make is that neither was a "lead" instrument. They knew their roles as core members of the rhythm section, allowing Alex and Andy to do their things.

On the other hand, John Entwistle more or less was a lead. Pete was primarily a rhythm guitarist, and John filled the void in his own, wonderful way.

I agree that mastering the bass is no easier than mastering any instrument. However, having played bass, and a bit of keyboards, guitar, and drums, I still believe that bass is the easiest to learn the basics.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

Tell that to Primus!

Ya don't look that old. How bout Geddy Lee

Got to be honest, I never was into Rush. I tried!!! Just not my thing. Great musicians and pipes though.

I AM AN FBI AGENT!!!!

I believe I started the last thread on this and it was over a year ago.

I took about three lessons when I was 11-12 and got an electric guitar for my birthday. Played a little every day but got to a point where getting much better was going to take a lot more practice and I didn't really have a reason to play that much/had other activities I enjoyed more.

Fast forward ten years and I had a bad injury from weight lifting and was laid up for 6 months or so and decided I'd start to play again. My music taste had changed and my favorite artist (Aaron Lewis) played mostly acoustic stuff and he was basically my inspiration after seeing his acoustic shows 3-4 times. Went looking for the exact guitar he had, found out it was $5K, so decided I'd test a bunch to see what works that I could afford. Since I didn't play much and only knew a few riff's I didn't want to spend too much but once I got a Martin in my hands, even with my (at the time) lack of skills, it was beautiful sounding and I couldn't not buy it.

Still play it almost every day and I play pretty much everything. Love taking a song that isn't acoustic based at all and messing around with it to make it work with some adds and deducts to the tab's/picking/strumming patterns.

I no longer play, and I sold all of my gear when I had to move. But I had an Original Block Letter 5150 head with a Mesa Cab w/K100's in with a 91 Ibanez RG750 that had the original wizard neck. I played a lot of death metal in B standard tuning. I miss that 5150, it was organ crushingly loud and alive.

Bats/Sticks/Tools:

Ping G 10.5 set at 9.9, tour ad di 6x
Titleist 915F set at A4 (16.5), Rouge Black 80s
Titleist 910H set at A1 (19), Diamana Whiteboard 90s
Titleist 714 AP2 4-PW, KBS Tour 120s
Titleist SM6 52(bent to 51), 56, 60. M grinds on the 56 and 60 F on the 51
Cameron Squareback.
ProV1x

Assistant Professional
PGA Apprentice

"Live Free or Die"

Just had to share my excitement with this. I currently work on the new vikings stadium and we got work today that the first rock concert here will be Metallica. I saw them last time they were here and it's been a long time..

I work for the company that's doing all of the electrical and technologies work, which includes audio/visual. We've got 7-8 speaker arrays that had to be trucked in that are 23'L X 12'H and they are gonna sound pretty dang good over those things.

Just had to share my excitement with this. I currently work on the new vikings stadium and we got work today that the first rock concert here will be Metallica. I saw them last time they were here and it's been a long time..

I work for the company that's doing all of the electrical and technologies work, which includes audio/visual. We've got 7-8 speaker arrays that had to be trucked in that are 23'L X 12'H and they are gonna sound pretty dang good over those things.

Now that is THE way to christen a new stadium!

Ping G30 SFT (RIp Alpha)
Taylormade Jetspeed 3 Wood (RIP Alpha)
Taylormade SLDR 5 Wood (Kai'li)
Ping G25 (4-U) (Nippon 950gh)
Taylormade ATV 58*
Bettinardi Signature 6

Now that is THE way to christen a new stadium!

Agreed. Unfortunately the first concert overall will be Luke Bryan. When a fellow co-worker asked who that was upon the announcement, the only reply I could muster up was "he's the worlds first tone def country singer." haha

Metallica is the head liner and will be playing with Avenged Sevenfold and Voelbeat or however you spell that one. I'm indifferent on those two, A7x has some good songs and Voel... whatever has a could good tunes as well, but it'll all be worth it.

When I saw them they were playing with Godsmack and that was an awesome show.

I have to say I miss playing. I played in bands for a total of 45 years. I knew I wanted to be a Bass player the first time I heard The Beatles. My only regret is that in all the bands I've played in, I never could just sit back and play Bass, I always had to be the damn lead singer or sing at least half of the songs. Just once I would have liked to just kick back and play. I still might buy an acoustic someday and mess around with it.

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

Next to golf, the guitar is my second addiction. Mainly play blue and classic rock but like to play about anything as long as it is loud.

This is my basement. There are a few not in the picture (a 6-string banjo, Yahmaha Acoustic, and Fender Acoustic Bass). I play through a Fender Tweed Blues Deluxe. I have some more pedals and a Crybaby (not pictured) but I mainly like to control the sound and tone directly through the amp. I rarely use the pedals other than killing time.

WITB
Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 9.0*

Taylormade Sim2 Ti 15* 

Taylormade Sim2 Ti 19* 

Ping i525 4-UW

Titleist Vokey SM8- 54* and 58*

Custom Scotty Cameron Circa 62 #1

Next to golf, the guitar is my second addiction. Mainly play blue and classic rock but like to play about anything as long as it is loud.

This is my basement. There are a few not in the picture (a 6-string banjo, Yahmaha Acoustic, and Fender Acoustic Bass). I play through a Fender Tweed Blues Deluxe. I have some more pedals and a Crybaby (not pictured) but I mainly like to control the sound and tone directly through the amp. I rarely use the pedals other than killing time.

Very nice. I'm in a similar boat. Not only am I a golf equipment ho, I'm a bass guitar ho. I believe I'm up to 23 bass guitars at this point, all but one on display in my living room. I finally did get rid of two amp stacks, and I'm down to 1 amp head, and 6 1x12 cabinets that I swap in and out. Getting rid of the stacks was very, very tough.

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

Very nice. I'm in a similar boat. Not only am I a golf equipment ho, I'm a bass guitar ho. I believe I'm up to 23 bass guitars at this point, all but one on display in my living room. I finally did get rid of two amp stacks, and I'm down to 1 amp head, and 6 1x12 cabinets that I swap in and out. Getting rid of the stacks was very, very tough.

What's your favorite Bass? I had two that I should have never sold. A 64 Jazz and a 69 (or 70) Gibson EB1

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

What's your favorite Bass? I had two that I should have never sold. A 64 Jazz and a 69 (or 70) Gibson EB1

My favorite is my Fender Custom Shop P-Bass with a sunburst finish. Gorgeous sound. Gorgeous to look at. Gorgeous to play. I also have Fender Deluxe American P-Bass. I like the added J pickup, as it allows me to dial in a bit of J-bass sizzle without losing the P-bass sound. My '73 sunburst Jazz bass is also pretty sweet when you want that '70's funk sound.

My biggest mistake was trading in my early 80's custom walnut Alembic Series I bass for an amp stack. It was the 80's, and I had just purchased a Steinberger, which I loved to death, but I had a cr*p amp, and no cash, so the Alembic had to go. It was heavenly sounding, but a beast to play in crowded, dive bars, Sigh.

Fender2011CustomShop59SunburstP-11.jpg

This is similar to my old Alembic, except I had the "omega" cut in the tail.

92714.jpg

A purist. Get sound from your pickups and tubes. Well done sir.

My favorite is my Fender Custom Shop P-Bass with a sunburst finish. Gorgeous sound. Gorgeous to look at. Gorgeous to play. I also have Fender Deluxe American P-Bass. I like the added J pickup, as it allows me to dial in a bit of J-bass sizzle without losing the P-bass sound. My '73 sunburst Jazz bass is also pretty sweet when you want that '70's funk sound.

My biggest mistake was trading in my early 80's custom walnut Alembic Series II bass for an amp stack. It was the 80's, and I had just purchased a Steinberger, which I loved to death, but I had a cr*p amp, and no cash, so the Alembic had to go. It was heavenly sounding, but a beast to play in crowded, dive bars, Sigh.

Fender2011CustomShop59SunburstP-11.jpg

This is similar to my old Alembic, except I had the "omega" cut in the tail.

92714.jpg

Holy f*ck Argonne, those guitars are giving me wood. I think I could actually hear notes coming from that Fender through the computer screen...

Two other members of the collection include a butterscotch '93 Fender Precision CIJ '51 reissue. I have it strung with flat wounds, and it has a nasty tone. The other is a '78 ash P-Bass. 'Weighs a ton.

Fender1993Reissue51P-2.jpg

PBass78-4.jpg

Here's my Aguilar stack, and my 2 primary basses. Having lugged gargantuan bass stacks over the past 35 years, the arrival of lightweight Class D amps and neo 1x12 speakers is a slice of heaven. In the background you can see the neck of my electric upright. I'm not much of an upright player, but I like to use it for warmup. After 10 to 15 minutes on an upright, the lower relief of an electric bass makes allows one to really fly.

20130406_153917.jpg

I've been playing guitar for about 18 years now. My current stable of guitars:

2008 PRS Custom 22 10 Top Quilt (Standard and Drop D tuning)

1997 PRS CE 22 Maple Top (Down one Whole Step and Drop C Tuning)

2010 Gibson Explorer (C# Standard Tuning or Drop B Tuning)

2012 ESP/LTD EC 407 (Down One Whole Step and Drop G Tuning)

2005 Ibanez Prestige RG 2570E (Tuned down one half step)

2006 Schecter C7 (Standard Tuning)

2009 Taylor 814CE (Tuned down one half step)

The former guitars:

2009 Gibson Les Paul Custom (stolen from my car)

2008 Gibson Les Paul DC Pro with Duncan Pearly Gates pickups

2008 Gibson Les Paul DC Pro with Gibson 57 Plus Pickups

2009 Gibson Les Paul Traditional Plus

Amps:

Peavey Delta Blues 210

Randall RG50TC

Favorite songs to play:

Two Weeks by All That Remains. Great for getting fast precision picking and there's a whole lot going on with the solo from fairly big position changes/climbs to swept arppegio runs and very fast aggressive scale climbs.

Schism by Tool. Love that it's in a bit of an odd meter

Cemetery Gates by Pantera. It's Dimebag Darrell. Nuff said.

Crazy Train by Ozzy Osbourne. Just fun to play.

Titleist TS4 8.5* Diamana D+ LTD 70 X
Titleist 917F2 18* (turned down to 17.25*) Diamana S+ 80X
4 - 718 Titleist AP3 Project X 6.0
4-P 718 Titleist AP2 Project X 6.0
White Satin Mizuno MP T7 51-08 Modus 3 105X
Blue Ion Mizuno MP T7 55-09 Modus 3 105X Soft Stepped
Blue Ion Mizuno MP T7 59-09 Modus 3 105X Soft Stepped
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Fastback 1

The former guitars:

Amps:

Peavey Delta Blues 210

Randall RG50TC

Favorite songs to play:

Two Weeks by All That Remains. Great for getting fast precision picking and there's a whole lot going on with the solo from fairly big position changes/climbs to swept arppegio runs and very fast aggressive scale climbs.

That's a hell of a lot of sound with your collection. I only have two guitars and one amp now. I miss filling my house with sound. Gonna trim my nails and plug my Tele in as soon as I get back from vaca.

BTW, what is your opinion of your Schecter?

The former guitars:

Amps:

Peavey Delta Blues 210

Randall RG50TC

Favorite songs to play:

That's a hell of a lot of sound with your collection. I only have two guitars and one amp now. I miss filling my house with sound. Gonna trim my nails and plug my Tele in as soon as I get back from vaca.

BTW, what is your opinion of your Schecter?

The Schecter is a well made guitar and it sounds great, but it's a little uncomfortable for me to play. It has an extended scale, 26.5" if I recall correctly. I have small to average sized hands (I wear a Cadet Medium Titleist golf glove as a reference). The fret spacing on the Schecter makes it a little tough for me to play at the lower register. The LTD 7 string is much more comfortable for me to play.

Titleist TS4 8.5* Diamana D+ LTD 70 X
Titleist 917F2 18* (turned down to 17.25*) Diamana S+ 80X
4 - 718 Titleist AP3 Project X 6.0
4-P 718 Titleist AP2 Project X 6.0
White Satin Mizuno MP T7 51-08 Modus 3 105X
Blue Ion Mizuno MP T7 55-09 Modus 3 105X Soft Stepped
Blue Ion Mizuno MP T7 59-09 Modus 3 105X Soft Stepped
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Fastback 1