2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

So frustrated with BOS (Black Oxide Service)

Hungsolo

He is right. as i stated before, since it is a personal quote, they have to honor it. If they received comfiramtion and have records that he asked for a sightline before the quote was given (which as stated above they do), thern they HAVE TO BY LAW refund his money

Could you point me to the law?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

yea why dont i just grab a book take pictures and paste all of them on here

thats logical

What's that mean?

If it's a law you would think it would be easy to provide a link that describes the law or cite the law itself.

Are you sure it is a law? As far as I know a retailer is not required to honor an advertised price, nor are they required to honor a quote or other promise of service if it is in error.

I'd be honestly interested to know that is incorrect.

read the fair trading act #44 false representations.................44 False representations

(TPA s 53)

A person shall not, in trade or commerce, in connection with the supply or possible supply of goods or services or in connection with the promotion by any means of the supply or use of goods or services:

(a) falsely represent that goods are of a particular standard, quality, value, grade, composition, style or model or have had a particular history or particular previous use,

(b) falsely represent that services are of a particular standard, quality, value or grade,

© falsely represent that goods are new,

(d) falsely represent that a particular person has agreed to acquire goods or services,

(e) represent that goods or services have sponsorship, approval, performance characteristics, accessories, uses or benefits they do not have,

(f) represent that the person has a sponsorship, approval or affiliation the person does not have,

(g) make a false or misleading representation concerning the price of goods or services,

(h) make a false or misleading representation concerning the availability of facilities for the repair of goods or of spare parts for goods,

(i) make a false or misleading representation concerning the place of origin of goods,

(j) make a false or misleading representation concerning the need for any goods or services,

(k) make a false or misleading representation concerning the existence, exclusion or effect of any condition, warranty, guarantee, right or remedy,

(l) make a false or misleading representation concerning a person's rights or obligations under a residential tenancy agreement (within the meaning of the Residential Parks Act 1998) under which the residential premises consist of a residential site in a residential park or a moveable dwelling on such a residential site (within the meaning of that Act), or

(m) make a false or misleading representation concerning a person's rights or obligations under a village contract (within the meaning of the Retirement Villages Act 1999), or

(n) make a false or misleading representation concerning a person's rights or obligations under an occupation agreement (within the meaning of the Holiday Parks (Long-term Casual Occupation) Act 2002) under which the residential premises consist of a site in a holiday park (within the meaning of that Act).

TITLEIST TS3 8.5 T1100
Callaway XR Pro 15* Fairway
Taylormade GAPR 2
Honma 737V 4-pw
Titleist SM6 52/58
Machine M20 Converter Aluminum Bronze
Scotty Newport Select

read the fair trading act #44 false representations.................44 False representations

(TPA s 53)

A person shall not, in trade or commerce, in connection with the supply or possible supply of goods or services or in connection with the promotion by any means of the supply or use of goods or services:

(a) falsely represent that goods are of a particular standard, quality, value, grade, composition, style or model or have had a particular history or particular previous use,

(b) falsely represent that services are of a particular standard, quality, value or grade,

© falsely represent that goods are new,

(d) falsely represent that a particular person has agreed to acquire goods or services,

(e) represent that goods or services have sponsorship, approval, performance characteristics, accessories, uses or benefits they do not have,

(f) represent that the person has a sponsorship, approval or affiliation the person does not have,

(g) make a false or misleading representation concerning the price of goods or services,

(h) make a false or misleading representation concerning the availability of facilities for the repair of goods or of spare parts for goods,

(i) make a false or misleading representation concerning the place of origin of goods,

(j) make a false or misleading representation concerning the need for any goods or services,

(k) make a false or misleading representation concerning the existence, exclusion or effect of any condition, warranty, guarantee, right or remedy,

(l) make a false or misleading representation concerning a person's rights or obligations under a residential tenancy agreement (within the meaning of the Residential Parks Act 1998) under which the residential premises consist of a residential site in a residential park or a moveable dwelling on such a residential site (within the meaning of that Act), or

(m) make a false or misleading representation concerning a person's rights or obligations under a village contract (within the meaning of the Retirement Villages Act 1999), or

(n) make a false or misleading representation concerning a person's rights or obligations under an occupation agreement (within the meaning of the Holiday Parks (Long-term Casual Occupation) Act 2002) under which the residential premises consist of a site in a holiday park (within the meaning of that Act).

Doesn't apply in terms of errors. You misunderstand the law. The law only applies to purposeful misrepresentations. No retailer is required to honor an error.

MISREPRESENTATION - The statement made by a party to a contract, that a thing relating to it is in fact in a particular way, when he knows it is not so.

MISLEADING CONDUCT - Knowingly making a false statement; intentionally omitting information from a statement and thereby causing a portion of such statement to be misleading, or intentionally concealing a material fact, and thereby creating a false impression by such statement; with intent to mislead, knowingly submitting or inviting reliance on a writing or recording that is false, forged, altered, or otherwise lacking in authenticity; with intent to mislead, knowingly submitting or inviting reliance on a sample, specimen, map, photograph, boundary mark, or other object that is misleading in a material respect; or knowingly using a trick, scheme, or device with intent to mislead. 18 USC

That said, I'll leave this up to you guys to argue about. It's off topic. I'll just say I'm glad the OP got satisfaction.

Carry on.

Here's what i think happened.

Miscommunication/misquote on pricing.

Calling it misleading, false advertisement seems a little overreactive...

I think Hungsolo might have come off not so pleasant? Maybe that's why the reps there decided not to honor?

Not saying you're an unpleasant person Hungsolo, but maybe you sounded really nasty.

And maybe that's why they're not budging...

Just a thought...

he sent them a request for quote. they sent him a price for service. he accepted. he sent it in and they billed him more than quoted. they did not say it was a mistake on their part for misquoting him. how is that not purposeful.

TITLEIST TS3 8.5 T1100
Callaway XR Pro 15* Fairway
Taylormade GAPR 2
Honma 737V 4-pw
Titleist SM6 52/58
Machine M20 Converter Aluminum Bronze
Scotty Newport Select

I'm no lawyer, but legally speaking I've got to say that you'd lose that battle without a doubt. At best you'd have to pay the prices as specifically stated in their price list which can be easily downloaded from their main website. That would be $46 for the finish + $25 for the sight line + the shipping charges you choose. And yes, they are going to charge you a tad extra for the new box. It's called packaging engineering. They had those boxes specifically made to protect their product and allow for better air flow because finished heads were being subject to condensation while wrapped in plastic.

Black Oxide Service will do whatever to help you out and make sure things are set right. Also, if you got the price quote by just filling out the thing on their website, I don't think that will include things such as sight lines. You should also know that shipping is an extra charge in nearly all instances of online business. BOS has always exceeded expectations for me and gone out of their way to do things not even offered in their general services. I feel like this issue is rising a little out of hand and can simply be resolved by some understanding on both parts. Lawfully speaking, they'd use the term "reasonable person standard" stating that any reasonable person should know the difference of what they're being charged and if it's substantially different from expected. Especially when anything in question can be seen in the price sheet.

No I do not work for or am affiliated with Black Oxide Service in any way shape or form. I'm just trying to give my insight. They're a great business and more than willing to work with the customer. From their end, I don't see any reason a refund should be issued. If I were running the business, I'd probably offer say a 10% or 20% off next service or something just to make up for any complications and make sure to keep the customer happy. Maybe check into that?

Driver: Ping G30
3-Wood: Ping G30
Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro
Irons: Mizuno JPX921 Hot Metal Pro
Wedges: Scratch 1018
Putter: Scotty Cameron Red X5

In regards to my last post - maybe it's a tad extreme and potentially off topic, but if you want to talk about the law...

Remember several years back the whole Pepsi points thing where the Harrier Jet was offered for 7,000,000 points? The kid ended up purchasing enough points and demanding his jet. Once they told him he couldn't actually get it, he sued. Pepsi won without question with the results being that "no objective person could have reasonably concluded that the commercial actually offered consumers a Harrier jet". They won in the court of law based on it being a humorous completion to their promotion

EDIT: Sorry I didn't see that you already had this resolved too. I just thought this example was really interesting whether it pertains to this or not. Again, sorry and carry on. Yeah to new putters, LOL :D

Driver: Ping G30
3-Wood: Ping G30
Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro
Irons: Mizuno JPX921 Hot Metal Pro
Wedges: Scratch 1018
Putter: Scotty Cameron Red X5

This posting surely shows how our culture has degraded. A well-known company has an easy-to-understand price list for high quality work. A customer can't use the price list, asks for a quote, miscommunication takes place, customer feels ENTITLED to a low price which anyone could easily tell was a mistake. "SOMETHING FOR NOTHING". In a previous time, the customer would feel obligated to point out the mistake to the service provider, rather than feel ENTITLED to cheat them. Just my $.02...

You are right. I don't think they tried to intentionally defraud me for 25 dollars. No way. This was a mistake on their part for misquoting a price, and on mine for not checking the quote more carefully. Their initial customer service on the phone was not to my satisfaction, so I emailed Monica again. She has offered an acceptable comprimise to the situation. All of my concerns were addressed appropriately and I think we have a solution (not a full refund, but the problem is partially mine). Not sure why this wasn't handled during the telephone call, but I guess the end result is what counts.

The putter arrives tomorrow. I'm sure the work will be good....

Mods, if you want to lock this I'm good.

I'm glad you got a solution to the problem hungsolo enjoy the putter and post some pics.

[twitter]oneputtblunder[/twitter]
10.5 Aeroburner TP Fujikura Speeder Pro XLR8
14.5 X2 Hot 3 Deep Tour Green
18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
Byron Morgan DH89 Rincon Neck deep mill or Circa 62 No 2
Vokey 52/56/60 SM5/TVDK/TVDVgrind DG S300
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/175527-one-putts-road-to-redemption-bag-04262014/"]WITB Link[/url]

This posting surely shows how our culture has degraded. A well-known company has an easy-to-understand price list for high quality work. A customer can't use the price list, asks for a quote, miscommunication takes place, customer feels ENTITLED to a low price which anyone could easily tell was a mistake. "SOMETHING FOR NOTHING". In a previous time, the customer would feel obligated to point out the mistake to the service provider, rather than feel ENTITLED to cheat them. Just my $.02...

Are you kidding me? I think you are taking this a little too far here! Like this guy is trying to cheat them out of money. What a joke your post is!! Why have a request a quote process if the pricing list is the freaking bible? When it comes to something like this and the company gave him a quote no matter the miscommunication, they should accept the fault. Customer is always right aren't they? Every "good" business person I have ever known "takes care" of the customer when something like this happens!

First of all, I am in FULL agreement with MchSt's post. He is a good BOS customer and knows them well.

I have come to know Monica and all of the other staff fairly well, and I know that they are more than willing to fix order problems.

I NEVER use that system they have on the website. I just shoot Monica an e-mail and let her know what I want. Then I send the package out and let her know it's coming. I also send a order form with it, and maybe a picture of the putter with lines pointing to which engravings get what color paintfill. If you do your homework, then there will be less chance for problems.

Bottom line: BOS is great and I have never been overcharged for anything or misquoted. Get to know them and they will treat you like a friend. Not to mention the work is superb.