Thrift Store Jackpot

WELL DONE JUICE!! That's a fantastic haul. Never have had to use a shopping cart before to transport a haul outside. LOL. Yet. First class acquisitions. Yes, the pic of the '72 Hogans did give me a slight case of the vapors this morning. Looks like they've been reshafted, hosel pins are gone on all but one. No matter, makes it easier to put in a preferred set of shafts if those are not acceptable. Instant putter collection, love it.

The scroungers around here know and what I keep saying. Got to put in your time looking. Lots of misses. Then all of a sudden, they're they are. Quality classic clubs, just waiting for someone to pick them up on the cheap. Have a feeling Juice, this may not be your last time hitting the thrifts. Once bitten, hard to stop. If someone asks, "What are you looking for?" Just say, "Don't know for sure, but I know it when I see it."

As for the GF explanation, you're on your own. Only one bit of advice (when dealing with the Mrs. under similar circumstances) is not to hide anything. I learned that lesson awhile back. Better to be above board, tell her that you found a bunch of really nice golf clubs on the cheap. They HAD to be acquired. It was your charitable obligation. Always telling the Mrs. that I'm going to sell some off for profit. As the inventory continues to grow.

Don't forget to scan the clothing aisles also, same situation is in effect. Never know what you'll find there. Couple of days ago, no clubs. But did find a like new Zero Restriction Gore-Tex pullover for $10 and a "fancy dan" Peter Millar golf shirt for $6. Couple of weeks prior, a McGregor Tourney Gore-Tex rain suit for $12. My golf apparel is most definitely from the Thrift Store Collection these days.

LOL I have my better half trained and she knows a lot. If she spots something especially Macgregor she will snap a photo and send to me aint modern technology great?

I have lots of golf clothes I got in the thrifts. I am not mainstream sized so when I see something that fits me I jump. A couple of weeks ago I picked up 2 brand new golf hats with the tags still on them for $1 each one a Srixon hat and the other a Bridgestone B-330 in pink and of course the wife got that one even though I had planned to wear it. The best deal I ever got in a thrift was I bought a bunch of Bobby Chan shirts back when they were the thing for $5 each none of them even came close to fitting me. I think I bought 10 sold each one for $20.

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* TT Sensicore S-400

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

Hopefully you were able to use the profit on the shirts for your next golf purchases :taunt:

That is exactly what I did. Most of my shop work and trading keeps up my club hoeing habit and of course pays golf expenses

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* TT Sensicore S-400

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

The streak ended for thrift store irons and wedges, but Goodwill and Savers sure gave up some putters today!!! Spalding, TP mills, Ray cook, Butchhart Nichols, and a strange chunky bullseye putter I have never seen. Usually the bullseys have Acushnet or Titleist, this one says bullseye only and is super fat and chunky! took a pic next to my bullseye pro feel so you can get the idea. Is this Pre Acushnet? it doesn't look that old to me except the patina is almost black! but it is most definitely a bronze putter.

I think that putter is a bulls eye released in 1986 to compliment the Titleist B-33 irons? They had the brass (I think) inserts on the soles. You can see a hint of an insert on your putter as well. My guess is the putter is bronze with the brass insert?

Hmm sort of reminds me of an early T-MB. Anyways I think most pre Acushnet bullseyes atleast have Reuter's name stamped on them. Hope others can chime in and tell me if I'm wrong, but good finds buddy!

Sorry to thread jack, but has anyone ever played the b33's? I had a set 2-pw years ago that I found at a pawn shop, and to this day they are still the easiest to hit and the longest irons I have ever played. Wish I still had them. The 2 was a beast of a driving iron. I believe they were foam filled hollow head design.

Sorry to thread jack, but has anyone ever played the b33's? I had a set 2-pw years ago that I found at a pawn shop, and to this day they are still the easiest to hit and the longest irons I have ever played. Wish I still had them. The 2 was a beast of a driving iron. I believe they were foam filled hollow head design.

I've never seen a b33 or knew much about them until now. Just had a look on eBay, none in the UK and only a partial set in the US.....look like an early thin hybrid, bet they were great to hit!

I think that putter is a bulls eye released in 1986 to compliment the Titleist B-33 irons? They had the brass (I think) inserts on the soles. You can see a hint of an insert on your putter as well. My guess is the putter is bronze with the brass insert?

Hmm sort of reminds me of an early T-MB. Anyways I think most pre Acushnet bullseyes atleast have Reuter's name stamped on them. Hope others can chime in and tell me if I'm wrong, but good finds buddy!

wow thanks for the info!!! Wow thosee are beautiful and unique irons. Cool stuff. Yea I was stumped because the putter didn't look that old compared to some of my bullseyes. And no Titleist or achushnet lettering strange. Man does that putter have some weight!. Gonna have to take that one to the putting green.

I've never played them, but I had a friend whose dad played them when I was younger. Seemed he would always use that 2 iron off the tee. He rarely carried any woods.

wow thanks for the info!!! Wow thosee are beautiful and unique irons. Cool stuff. Yea I was stumped because the putter didn't look that old compared to some of my bullseyes. And no Titleist or achushnet lettering strange. Man does that putter have some weight!. Gonna have to take that one to the putting green.

Yeah, that's why I'm not entirely sure. Figured there would be some type of brand marking. Hope others chime in.

I believe you are correct about the OP's putter being connected with Titleist mid 80's era B33 irons.

Regarding Reuter Jr. , he designed , produced, and sold Reuter Jr. Bullseye putters from the late 40's to the early 60's. . In the early 60's he sold his company to Acushnet, and from that point on, , through the 60's, 70's and 80's the Bullseye putters carried the Acushnet brand name. By the mid 90's Titleist-Acushnet had turned its putter business over to Scotty Cameron.

When he came on board. Cameron initially just tweaked the bronze Bullseye's a bit, and from about 1995 to 2005 Titleist sold bronze Bullseye's with an "SC" stamp on the sole of the putters.

During this 1995-2005 period Cameron was having success selling his steel material putter line, so the SC stamped bronze Bullseye's were mostly sold as promotional putters for corporate events. In 2001 and 2002 Cameron did offer carbon steel Bullseye blade and flange models, but they were not good sellers. A few years later he tried again with the stainless steel American Classics blade and flange Bullseye models, but again they were not good sellers.

The Bullseye's heyday was throughout the 60's and 70's , when Reuter's bronze material putter was supported and marketed by Titleist. During that time many Tour pros played and won with Bullseye putters. Its relatively simple lines, designed to promote a free flowing stroke, combined with the soft brass head material, made for a good performing putter.

I believe you are correct about the OP's putter being connected with Titleist mid 80's era B33 irons.

Regarding Reuter Jr. , he designed , produced, and sold Reuter Jr. Bullseye putters from the late 40's to the early 60's. . In the early 60's he sold his company to Acushnet, and from that point on, , through the 60's, 70's and 80's the Bullseye putters carried the Acushnet brand name. By the mid 90's Titleist-Acushnet had turned its putter business over to Scotty Cameron.

When he came on board. Cameron initially just tweaked the bronze Bullseye's a bit, and from about 1995 to 2005 Titleist sold bronze Bullseye's with an "SC" stamp on the sole of the putters.

During this 1995-2005 period Cameron was having success selling his steel material putter line, so the SC stamped bronze Bullseye's were mostly sold as promotional putters for corporate events. In 2001 and 2002 Cameron did offer carbon steel Bullseye blade and flange models, but they were not good sellers. A few years later he tried again with the stainless steel American Classics blade and flange Bullseye models, but again they were not good sellers.

The Bullseye's heyday was throughout the 60's and 70's , when Reuter's bronze material putter was supported and marketed by Titleist. During that time many Tour pros played and won with Bullseye putters. Its relatively simple lines, designed to promote a free flowing stroke, combined with the soft brass head material, made for a good performing putter.

Thanks for the informative post.

I really like Bullseye putters. Right now this forum has another thread titled "are newer putters better", or "are more expensive putters better", something like that. I believe the answer is no.

Reuter Jr. was a golf pro who designed his putter from a players perspective, He wanted something that looked good at address, promoted the desired flowing putting stroke, and had a nice pleasing impact sound. His Bullseye design achieved all that, and its functionality was the reason it was so popular, for decades. These days I think thoughtful, pragmatic design elements and functionality are left out of current putter offerings.

I really like Bullseye putters. Right now this forum has another thread titled "are newer putters better", or "are more expensive putters better", something like that. I believe the answer is no.

Reuter Jr. was a golf pro who designed his putter from a players perspective, He wanted something that looked good at address, promoted the desired flowing putting stroke, and had a nice pleasing impact sound. His Bullseye design achieved all that, and its functionality was the reason it was so popular, for decades. These days I think thoughtful, pragmatic design elements and functionality are left out of current putter offerings.

Frozen-

Thanks for adding to the information on John Reuter Jr., and the Bullseye putter.

A lot has been written on Golfwrx, and to summarize-

A great deal of information came from a Golf Digest Article in 1970, titled "Putter Kings" which featured John Reuter (ROO-ter) Jr, and Karsten Solheim (PING). Reuter was 86 then.

John Reuter Jr., designed the Bullseye putter in Sault Ste. Marie, MI. in 1948, during a heat wave.

He designed the Bullseye to swing as evenly as the pendulum of a clock.

When he was 12, Reuter caddied for Harry Vardon. Yes, that Harry Vardon....

Bullseyes have won Major Championships in 5 different decades.

Jack Fleck used one to beat Ben Hogan. Gene Littler used one at Oakland Hills. Jack Nicklaus used one, painted it white "White Fang", and beat Hogans US Open record at Baltusrol. Johnny Miller used one to shoot 63 at Oakmont. Hale Irwin used one at Winged Foot and at Inverness, David Graham used one to beat Ben Crenshaw at Oakland Hills for a PGA, and at Merion to win a US Open. Tom Kite used one at Pebble Beach, and Steve Jones used one for another US Open win at Oakland Hills.

To my knowledge, its the only putter Bob Charles used in his career, which includes a British Open and a British Senior Open.

In talking about the equipment he used at the 1973 US Open, Johnny Miller wrote that the Bullseye was the best feeling putter ever made- the older the better.

Yaquigrande - Great haul! Those Rams are sweet, love the Kroydons too.

2015 Taylormade PSI 4-PW
2009 Titleist Vokey BV Spin Milled 52
2009 Titleist Vokey BV Spin Milled 56
2018 Taylormade Milled Grind 60
2005 King Cobra Baffler Hybrid 20
2017 Callaway GBB Epic 3W 13.5 +1
2014 Ping G-30 10.5
2018 Titleist Stay Dry Bag

Just to change back to the original topic, I took the three sets of irons I found to the range yesterday. Here's a quick review. By no means a scientific review.

To keep it simple, I took just the 7 irons.

1. My newer Titleist cb's 7 as a bench mark:

2. Vip 7

3. Mizuno Mp Grad 7

4. Apex 7

Little side wind at 5-8mph from left to right. Sunny clear and 75 degrees. Balls were Wilson Premium Range balls. For testing sake, looking only at carry distances. Warmed up with CB then would switch every 3-5 balls between all 4 irons for about 100 balls. Took into consideration really bad misses but left those numbers out of averages to get an average of a decent to good well struck shot.

My standard 7 Titleist CB was 155 yds. Occasional fat 145. Really going after it 160+ tops, but that was rare. Slight draw of 5 yards right but then curves back to target.

Vip: Misses seemed bad. Turf action of the 3 was the least favorite, but also out of the three it had the best trajectory. Seemed harder for me to draw. I would either push it 10 yards right or over draw it 10 yards left. Distance was consistently just falling short of 145.

Apex: Seemed the shortest. Consistently hitting it 140. The sound threw me off a few times. Well striked hits sounded amazing. Anywhere off center sounded super clunky!! Super clunky. Was on target most of the time. Decent trajectory but also thinned it a few times with this one. Not sure why.

Grad's: Best feeling and best sounding. I was right on target 145+, but the only problem was I was ballooning them. So seemed most affected by wind. I finally moved the ball in my stance and that seemed to bring flight down and get distance between 150-155.

Frankly I would game any of them. I think I need another session to better understand the VIP's.

Lots of things to consider before I make a choice to keep one set and sell the rest.

Juice,

Are those the split sole VIP, Nickalus? If so, they are notorious to hit. I have a set,and while they do provide exceptional trajectory, they can have an issue with direction. Mine tend to go too left when drawing and I can't, because of the sole, fade them. What I have found is they are golden on a windy day playing a 3/4 shot. I never really got that pured feeling with them even when striking them well. And a club shorter than my classic Wilson's.

Toby,

I contacted the guy and it's all or nothing. He doesn't have an inventory and said he didn't want to sell anything seperate. I believe the stash was bigger and has been culled out already. Most of the stuff came from a brick and mortar in Hilton Head. Still, I am sure there are some really good finds in there, but not worth the price of the whole unless I could find a couple of Texans, maybe a Scottsdale Anser or two, ETC.

I have asked him for a time we can get together. If he gets back to me I'll at least go check it out.