My putters with pics

Emm

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aren't they all polished on the face? As most seem to be?

If I remember the seller originally put "I am selling this putter, I think its called a putter". Now unless you were very very unfamiliar with golf a couple of years ago, I think I bought it from someone else, perhaps after your sale? I always thought it was odd that someone (the seller) knew very little about golf and yet would have one of these for sale...

Anyway I think you are right, this is probably the best one they made.

I will have another new Ping putter to add in the next month or so, can't wait... :D

Oh, I didn't sell it to you then! Anyway I hope it's serving you well and if you ever get rid of it let me know. I'd seriously consider buying it back!

If you want to simply polish, just use Autosol

If you want to remove battle scars 400 to 1200 wet and dry paper and lots of water, I use a sanding block to keep the face flat, its so easy to spend 10 mins cleaning a face and find that with your fingers you have created a slightly uneven surface.

As you can see from the Karsten Anser at the top, the patina takes a long time on the Manganese Bronze compared to BeCu. Apart from the Anser 2 I have left the BeCu with the full patina except the face, as it provides a nice contrast at address.

Foster Pan: Certainly will let you know, but if I had to keep one, it would probably be the Anser F Ti. :hi:

Thanks

Its getting a nice colour now, and seems to change every time I use it. I have added leads strips to the bottom as I try to get the weight up. Its at about 505g (including the tape on the sole) with 33in shaft and 56g Pingman blackout. It really shows how lightweight these things are, however I used it yesterday after adding the weight and its stable and consistant over distance.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi

Well I got a few things over the weekend (one I can't show just yet), but I did pick up a nice Becu Zing 2, I removed the paint fill in the writing because it was not that neat and will possible refill in the original white, or perhaps leave bare. It seems to be heavier than my B60 and Anser 2 but not liked the Zings in the past so will give it a go at some point . It promotes a nice swing which doesn't need to be forced IMO. My wife has always liked the Zings so she might try it first.

ZingBecutoe2.jpg

ZingBecutoe.jpg

One of the other items I picked up was simply a nostalgic purchase, a Ping Zing driver and 3 wood. I saw these and just had to get them. God knows what it will be like to hit (I haven't tried yet), but the proshop owner told me they have that old school ball flight, of the ball climbing to a peak in a curved climb over the distance before it drops. I remember those days. However I may just leave them alone in case my memories of old woods gets smashed as I top the ball off the first tee. Although I bet it would be a lot more satisfying to lash one of these down the fairway!

I thought it would be interesting to see a comparison to a modern driver. I think the sweet spot on the Cobra LD is as big as the head of the Ping wood!!

PingZingWoods.jpg

PingZingWoodtop.jpg

PingZing1wood.jpg

PingZingWoodshaft.jpg

PingZingWoodbase.jpg

PingZingWoodcomparison2.jpg

PingZingWoodcomparison.jpg

Enjoy :hi:

I thought i would add to this post the addition of my WRX Anser 2, instead of bumping this thread.

About a month ago I decided to order a WRX Ping Anser 2, I spoke to beruo and pitbull and both offered excellent help and advice about soundslots, filtered shafts, headweights etc (thanks guys). I wanted it simply but didn't want to order one and then think damn I wish I had got this or that, but they pretty much helped me to narrow down my request. I could have purchased a new model Redwood or something, but find that although they are near the target weight I was looking for, they can look a little bulky at address compared to the classic Ansers, and although I like them I really wanted an Anser 2.

So I ordered through Morton golf and dealt with Brandi, I assume I was your typical high maintenance customer checking everything loads of times (sorry Brandi).

I requested:

Anser 2 Stainless Steel

33.25 Inch Length

350g Tungsten Weight Head

Black Paint Fill (on the flange line and in the face weights)

Milled face

Stepless Shaft

Black Iomic Grip

Pingman WRX Black Headcover.

I had a few things I needed to check when it arrived but TBH it turned out perfect in the end. Ping WRX dept turned the putter around inside the suggested target time and I was kept up to date constantly from Morton, so I can’t really speak highly enough of the care of service.

Testing:

I like the light silver and contrast black line, but the main difference I noticed is the soft feel of the putter, not sure why it feels soft like the Becu’s. I was expecting a harsh feel (which I thought I would need to get used to) as its 17-4, but it turned out similar to the copper putters I have thankfully. Almost springy if that makes sense, it could be a combination of the shaft and grip as well. It felt lighter than expected, and although its 5g heavier than a Redwood I would have sworn it was lighter. Perhaps the 65g Iomic Medium grip has just taken away a little swingweight. But I will keep the Iomic black grip for a few rounds to see how it compares before make a final decision.

Ping call this simply an Anser 2, a boutique putter company would suggest it has "melted bumpers, weight saving cavity pocket, with black highlighted channel line in the cavity and tungsten ingots blended into the face :rolleyes:

WRXAnser2Day2.jpg

WRXAnser2Day2toe.jpg

WRXAnser2Day2bk5.jpg

WRXAnser2Day2bk3.jpg

WRXAnser2Day2milled2.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Emm,

Great collection and pics. Thanks for sharing.

Quick question, what did you use to clean up the stainless steel Anser and the head of the Anser TI that are in the pics? I just found an old steel Anser 2 in my Dad's basement and would like to try and clean it up. Yours look very nice, not sure what condition they were in when you started but would like to make this one and nice looking as yours are.

Your bronze and copper putters look great also.

Thanks again..

Spinner

I love the pair of blondes you got there.....And the Zing is sweet too

I took the Blonde 3 wood out today, over to the South Essex Country Club for 18 holes. The feel is amazing, and even better than I remember years ago. I hit it as far as my G2 3 wood with the NV Aldila shaft but TBH is felt way more satisfying. I think the thin walls of a moden wood produces a sweet but hollow feel, its hard to describe the difference of the old blonde wood but it was solid, very solid

I can't buy that kind of feel no matter how much I spend... :man_in_love:

Emm,

Great collection and pics. Thanks for sharing.

Quick question, what did you use to clean up the stainless steel Anser and the head of the Anser TI that are in the pics? I just found an old steel Anser 2 in my Dad's basement and would like to try and clean it up. Yours look very nice, not sure what condition they were in when you started but would like to make this one and nice looking as yours are.

Your bronze and copper putters look great also.

Thanks again..

Spinner

The Anser 2 is brand new, so it never really needed a clean (although it did arrive a very different colour but thats another story) The Anser Ti comes in a Guyson finish and all thats needed to keep the face clean is a metal polish called Autosol as its milled shiny. I use this on all my putters and you will be surprised that the cream is white, but it turns the cloth black as soon as you start to rub it (probably extracting the tarnish out of the metal). If your putter is tarnished I would start with that, because the least amount of abuse you give the putter to achieve the finish the better. however if this doesn't give the desired results you can always try "wet & dry" paper.

Use plenty of water and for all the flat surfaces use a sanding block with the paper wrapped around it so you don't create indentations where you rub with pressure in one area. Start with 400 grade paper, then 600, 800, 1200 etc so you remove the maximum at the beginning and then remove the scratches the 400 grade introduces with the finer paper. Keep using the water and with light even pressure, finish with the metal polish.

Most Ping Stainless Steel putters come with a "Guyson" Bead blast type finish whether thats bronze or Stainless Steel. If you remove this by rubber excessively with coarse "Wet & Dry" paper, you can end up with a mirror finish. In the UK this isn't a problem because our weather is not that sunny. But the glare in a hot climate might be unbearable.

One last tip: Always rub with "Wet & Dry" paper in the same direction (either horizontally or vertically), never cross over the directions or you will introduce fine scratches. e.g If you are rubbing the face, rub backwards and forwards horizontally, but don't then rub the face backwards and forwards vertically, as the putter will remain scratched.

This is a Sedona I did in SS this was completely cleaned using the above method, you may not want to go this far as it removes the Guyson bead finish thats designed to reduce glare and provide a robust surface, but it was an experiment...

You could do the face and sole and leave the top line and flange to reduce glare?

sedonaside.jpg

DSC02475.jpg

sedonaprov2.jpg

• 5 weeks later...