2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Guitar/guitar players thread

Got a few that I truly love. Fell in love with Zeppelin back in 7th grade, and learned to play along to LZ4. Got a John Cruz heavy relic John Mayer signature that I love. May have the craziest time as all the pickups are hand wound, and I've never heard a stray like it. Has the Big Dipper pickups in it, but the neck was wound a little too tight and has this amazing bell tone to it when put thru a ts 808.

A few epiphone les Paul's to be like JImmy Page and an American Lake Placid Blue Strat with a maple neck for those Clapton Tunes.

Is I could ever get my hands on an original 52 Tele I think it'd be the last guitar I would buy. That or a 59 les Paul

Rogue ST TD 10.5 Diamana ZF 60TX

Sim2 Max AD-DI 7x 15°
SIM2 Max AD-DI 8x
Apex ‘19 ..L Raw 4-W AMT S400
Fourteen RM-4 50-54-60 TI S400
Versa 1W

Here's a few pics of some of what's in my arsenal:

Custom22andCE22.jpg

Sevens.jpg

DSC02056.jpg

DSC02105.jpg

Titleist TS4 8.5* Diamana D+ LTD 70 X
Titleist 917F2 18* (turned down to 17.25*) Diamana S+ 80X
4 - 718 Titleist AP3 Project X 6.0
4-P 718 Titleist AP2 Project X 6.0
White Satin Mizuno MP T7 51-08 Modus 3 105X
Blue Ion Mizuno MP T7 55-09 Modus 3 105X Soft Stepped
Blue Ion Mizuno MP T7 59-09 Modus 3 105X Soft Stepped
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Fastback 1

I've been playing guitar for about 18 years now. My current stable of guitars:

2008 PRS Custom 22 10 Top Quilt (Standard and Drop D tuning)

1997 PRS CE 22 Maple Top (Down one Whole Step and Drop C Tuning)

2010 Gibson Explorer (C# Standard Tuning or Drop B Tuning)

2012 ESP/LTD EC 407 (Down One Whole Step and Drop G Tuning)

2005 Ibanez Prestige RG 2570E (Tuned down one half step)

2006 Schecter C7 (Standard Tuning)

2009 Taylor 814CE (Tuned down one half step)

The former guitars:

2009 Gibson Les Paul Custom (stolen from my car)

2008 Gibson Les Paul DC Pro with Duncan Pearly Gates pickups

2008 Gibson Les Paul DC Pro with Gibson 57 Plus Pickups

2009 Gibson Les Paul Traditional Plus

Amps:

Peavey Delta Blues 210

Randall RG50TC

Favorite songs to play:

Two Weeks by All That Remains. Great for getting fast precision picking and there's a whole lot going on with the solo from fairly big position changes/climbs to swept arppegio runs and very fast aggressive scale climbs.

Schism by Tool. Love that it's in a bit of an odd meter

Cemetery Gates by Pantera. It's Dimebag Darrell. Nuff said.

Crazy Train by Ozzy Osbourne. Just fun to play.

That's a hell of a lot of sound with your collection. I only have two guitars and one amp now. I miss filling my house with sound. Gonna trim my nails and plug my Tele in as soon as I get back from vaca.

BTW, what is your opinion of your Schecter?

The Schecter is a well made guitar and it sounds great, but it's a little uncomfortable for me to play. It has an extended scale, 26.5" if I recall correctly. I have small to average sized hands (I wear a Cadet Medium Titleist golf glove as a reference). The fret spacing on the Schecter makes it a little tough for me to play at the lower register. The LTD 7 string is much more comfortable for me to play.

Understand, I have a C1 classic, same scale and I also have to stretch at the lower end, but everything else about this guitar is so comfortable. It is on the heavy side but it hangs on me like an old flannel robe. And, the quality of workmanship and the sound are equal to guitars twice the price. I like it better than the LP studio I used to own.

I've been playing guitar for about 18 years now. My current stable of guitars:

2008 PRS Custom 22 10 Top Quilt (Standard and Drop D tuning)

1997 PRS CE 22 Maple Top (Down one Whole Step and Drop C Tuning)

2010 Gibson Explorer (C# Standard Tuning or Drop B Tuning)

2012 ESP/LTD EC 407 (Down One Whole Step and Drop G Tuning)

2005 Ibanez Prestige RG 2570E (Tuned down one half step)

2006 Schecter C7 (Standard Tuning)

2009 Taylor 814CE (Tuned down one half step)

The former guitars:

2009 Gibson Les Paul Custom (stolen from my car)

2008 Gibson Les Paul DC Pro with Duncan Pearly Gates pickups

2008 Gibson Les Paul DC Pro with Gibson 57 Plus Pickups

2009 Gibson Les Paul Traditional Plus

Amps:

Peavey Delta Blues 210

Randall RG50TC

Favorite songs to play:

Two Weeks by All That Remains. Great for getting fast precision picking and there's a whole lot going on with the solo from fairly big position changes/climbs to swept arppegio runs and very fast aggressive scale climbs.

Schism by Tool. Love that it's in a bit of an odd meter

Cemetery Gates by Pantera. It's Dimebag Darrell. Nuff said.

Crazy Train by Ozzy Osbourne. Just fun to play.

That's a hell of a lot of sound with your collection. I only have two guitars and one amp now. I miss filling my house with sound. Gonna trim my nails and plug my Tele in as soon as I get back from vaca.

BTW, what is your opinion of your Schecter?

The Schecter is a well made guitar and it sounds great, but it's a little uncomfortable for me to play. It has an extended scale, 26.5" if I recall correctly. I have small to average sized hands (I wear a Cadet Medium Titleist golf glove as a reference). The fret spacing on the Schecter makes it a little tough for me to play at the lower register. The LTD 7 string is much more comfortable for me to play.

Understand, I have a C1 classic, same scale and I also have to stretch at the lower end, but everything else about this guitar is so comfortable. It is on the heavy side but it hangs on me like an old flannel robe. And, the quality of workmanship and the sound are equal to guitars twice the price. I like it better than the LP studio I used to own.

Schecter guitars are definitely impressive with their workmanship. Other than the playability problems that I encounter at the lower register thanks to my smallish hands, the only other complaint that I have is the Duncan Blackout pickups seem to suck the life out of a 9 Volt battery pretty quickly compared to the EMG 81-7's that are in my LTD.

Titleist TS4 8.5* Diamana D+ LTD 70 X
Titleist 917F2 18* (turned down to 17.25*) Diamana S+ 80X
4 - 718 Titleist AP3 Project X 6.0
4-P 718 Titleist AP2 Project X 6.0
White Satin Mizuno MP T7 51-08 Modus 3 105X
Blue Ion Mizuno MP T7 55-09 Modus 3 105X Soft Stepped
Blue Ion Mizuno MP T7 59-09 Modus 3 105X Soft Stepped
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Fastback 1

If you're serious about your guitar, you can get it custom precision plek'd (not factory plek'd) to your setup. To have it done right by a luthier who knows what they are doing is worth every penny. I have one near me. There aren't that many who truly know what they are doing. It's amazing the feel and sound difference.... Then they will typically store your profile for any new guitars you buy if you ever want it done again.

http://www.webercustomguitars.com/index.html

i don't know about pleking, but i am lucky to have a really good setup guy near me. He took my old Fender acoustic which had a warped neck and made if perfect again. My Shcecter always played great, but he took it and made it a totally different guitar. Same with my Tele. Perfect intonation and action.

BTW, I played 1st time in like 3 months last night. I gotta not let that happen again. Put new strings on my Shcecter and stayed up until 2 a.m. rattling my windows. Heaven.

On a separate note, I noticed that when I play in my living room I always twist in a clockwise direction. Every so often I have to spin around counterclockwise to untwist my cord. WTF is that?

Been playing for about 8 years, since I was 16. Picked up guitar on a whim on summer vacation. Learned really quickly and had a knack for it. Attended Berklee College of Music as a guitar principal where I got burnt out on guitar and transferred to another school. Put the guitar down for about 2 years after that. It was so uber-competitive that it wasn't fun to practice any more. I was practicing for a grade and to beat out other guitarists for prime spots in ensembles. I wasn't playing for the joy of music any more. After some deep introspection I decided it was time to give it up.

About 2 years ago I got back into playing big time. More gigs, just really enjoying it. I've got 8 guitars at the moment. Guitar ho'ing is so much more costly than golf ho'ing lol. I love anything from SRV to Metallica. Eric Clapton was my main inspiration for picking up guitar.

12string ovation acoustic, 6string ibanez acoustic, 75 ibanez lawsuit LP copy and the amp it was sold with.

Finally learned to sing and play the last couple years. I like it better than golf, chicks do not dig golf.

Sing a girl a song she likes.......they seem to dig that.

I also have a pre lawsuit ibanez les Paul. It is the best playing guitar I own and have ever played. Everything is just right about it!

Ping G30 SFT (RIp Alpha)
Taylormade Jetspeed 3 Wood (RIP Alpha)
Taylormade SLDR 5 Wood (Kai'li)
Ping G25 (4-U) (Nippon 950gh)
Taylormade ATV 58*
Bettinardi Signature 6

^the best part is I payed a handy for the guitar amp and case, twenty years ago. I was playing a $2000.00 Gibson this weekend. Played for about ten minutes and decided my old standby is as good as it gets. It's got it's quirks because it's still bone stock. I just can't bring myself to change a thing.

I recently sold a Gibson Les Paul classic because it just fell short.

I bought my lawsuit LP about ten years ago for $175. I changed the pickups to some handwound 70s super distortion clones and this is seriously untouchable.

Ping G30 SFT (RIp Alpha)
Taylormade Jetspeed 3 Wood (RIP Alpha)
Taylormade SLDR 5 Wood (Kai'li)
Ping G25 (4-U) (Nippon 950gh)
Taylormade ATV 58*
Bettinardi Signature 6

i own a prs, american strat, dean, taylor acoustic and tacoma acoustic along with a mesa boogie tremoverb(basically a dual rectifier with tremelo and reverb). i dont play very much anymore. i was drunk a couple xmas's ago and i told my wife i always wanted to play drums. a couple weeks later on my b-day a drum kit showed up.

i own a prs, american strat, dean, taylor acoustic and tacoma acoustic along with a mesa boogie tremoverb(basically a dual rectifier with tremelo and reverb). i dont play very much anymore. i was drunk a couple xmas's ago and i told my wife i always wanted to play drums. a couple weeks later on my b-day a drum kit showed up.

About 10 yrs ago after 20 yrs of guitar playing I first sat on the throne and I had a blast. It is so fun, I missed my calling. About 1 yr ago I could suddenly time my kick with the main beat and now, whenever our drummer takes a break I am the first one to jump behind the skins. When he comes back I see him nodding and smiling at my play, I love it. Gonna get me a kit.

About 10 yrs ago after 20 yrs of guitar playing I first sat on the throne and I had a blast. It is so fun, I missed my calling. About 1 yr ago I could suddenly time my kick with the main beat and now, whenever our drummer takes a break I am the first one to jump behind the skins. When he comes back I see him nodding and smiling at my play, I love it. Gonna get me a kit.

yeah drums are a blast and much more difficult than i imagined. . i cant remember struggling so much with guitar as i have with the drums, im sure i did but i felt like the guitar came a little easier. anyway not trying to turn this into a drum thread.

yeah drums are a blast and much more difficult than i imagined. . i cant remember struggling so much with guitar as i have with the drums, im sure i did but i felt like the guitar came a little easier. anyway not trying to turn this into a drum thread.

No problemo, I am the thread master. This should really just be a 'musicians' thread anyway.

I picked up drums right away, except for the syncopation between the bass drum and the main beat. Then one day my brain split, and I started kicking and drumming. I love the way drumming is the skeleton of a song, but it adds the accenting through crashes and snaps and off-beats, and also provides transition between sections of a song, or provides the buildup to a cressendo. Very expressive instrument.

Merle haggard passed.sad news for music,guitar players.2016 has been rough for some of my music heroes

Hasn't it? Bowie hit me unexpectedly hard. I realized in retrospect how innovative and creative he was. It's gonna continue unfortunately, they're all getting old. At least I know that one of my favorite artists, David Byrne, will outlive me cause he is an alien.

• 1 year later...

I just found this thread. Historically, I'm a trumpet guy who played through college. I still have my Bach Strad 43 and 72 horns. The 72 is currently at Kanstul in Anaheim, CA getting getting a valve job and a re-plate. Problem is, my townhouse has a shared wall and I'd rather not be the owner that all of the other owners complain about during the HOA meetings. Thanks to Yamaha's Silent Brass muting system, I am able to keep my embouchure active but the sound quality leaves much to be desired.

After Prince passed away in April 2016, I decided to pick up the guitar. I've had a standing weekly lesson since June 2016. Like golf and other hobbies, I have become a bit neurotic with my gear purchases. In the time that I've been playing, I've purchased approximately 15 different guitars. My first guitar, a Squier Vintage Modified 72' Thinline Telecaster is probably my favorite for sentimental reasons and because it feels really good (even for an Indonesian made consumer brand bargain rig). I use it for most of my lessons. In addition to the Squier I currently have: a 2006 PRS Singlecut SE; a MIM Fender Standard HSS Strat Plus; a Gibson Les Paul Tribute; an Ibanez AG-95 hollow body electric; a Harley Benton TE-80 Deluxe (Copy of Prince's Hohner Mad Cat) that is being customized to my "Mad Cat" specs; an Ibanez GA-35 thin line nylon string acoustic guitar; a Taylor 214ce acoustic guitar;a Brubaker Brute 4-string bass; and an Electric 4-string U-Bass. My main amp is a Vox AC4C1-12 (4 watt tube amp with a 12' speaker). It's clean and is plenty loud enough for my style of play. I have an Orange Crush 35rt for backup. I use a Fender Rumble 25 for my bass guitars.

I love golf

Driver:  2018 Cally Rogue 10.5* (Set to 12.5*)

Fairway Metals:  Ping G30 14.5* and 18*

Irons:   PXG Gen3 0311P (4-G) MMT80 Stiff

Wedges:  PXG 0311 Forged 54*/58* MMT80 Stiff

Putter:  Odyssey Stroke Lab “Double Wide” 34”

Bag:  G-Fore Daytona Plus (AKA: Vessel Lite)

Thinking about a Laney CUB-12R 15W 1x12 for my son. I've always thought of Laney as a "one trick pony" distortion amp. Is there decent clean headroom at higher volume? There are none to demo around here . . . Sam Ash and GC don't have any on the floor. Anyone out there use one?

Adams Speedline 9088UL 10.5* AXIVCore 69 Black (S) Ping G SF Tec 3W, 5W Alta 65 (R) Ping G 4H,5H Alta 70 (R) Ping G 6-U TT XP 95 (soft R) Ping Glide 54*, 58* WS TT XP 100 (R) Ping Darby Sigma G

I just found this thread. Historically, I'm a trumpet guy who played through college. I still have my Bach Strad 43 and 72 horns. The 72 is currently at Kanstul in Anaheim, CA getting getting a valve job and a re-plate. Problem is, my townhouse has a shared wall and I'd rather not be the owner that all of the other owners complain about during the HOA meetings. Thanks to Yamaha's Silent Brass muting system, I am able to keep my embouchure active but the sound quality leaves much to be desired.

After Prince passed away in April 2016, I decided to pick up the guitar. I've had a standing weekly lesson since June 2016. Like golf and other hobbies, I have become a bit neurotic with my gear purchases. In the time that I've been playing, I've purchased approximately 15 different guitars. My first guitar, a Squier Vintage Modified 72' Thinline Telecaster is probably my favorite for sentimental reasons and because it feels really good (even for an Indonesian made consumer brand bargain rig). I use it for most of my lessons. In addition to the Squier I currently have: a 2006 PRS Singlecut SE; a MIM Fender Standard HSS Strat Plus; a Gibson Les Paul Tribute; an Ibanez AG-95 hollow body electric; a Harley Benton TE-80 Deluxe (Copy of Prince's Hohner Mad Cat) that is being customized to my "Mad Cat" specs; an Ibanez GA-35 thin line nylon string acoustic guitar; a Taylor 214ce acoustic guitar;a Brubaker Brute 4-string bass; and an Electric 4-string U-Bass. My main amp is a Vox AC4C1-12 (4 watt tube amp with a 12' speaker). It's clean and is plenty loud enough for my style of play. I have an Orange Crush 35rt for backup. I use a Fender Rumble 25 for my bass guitars.

Dude, that's a heck of a collection in just over a year! You got some serious disposable income..

Dude, that's a heck of a collection in just over a year! You got some serious disposable income..

@ TTB, I work hard, play accordingly, and look for deals (just like with my golf equipment). Half of my guitars were purchased secondhand but in great condition and I've sold/traded a few to restock. All of my guitars combined cost about the same price as 1-2 premium-branded American rigs (Fender Custom Shop, Paul Reed Smith/not PRS, Gibson Custom Shop, etc.) but they work for me.

I love golf

Driver:  2018 Cally Rogue 10.5* (Set to 12.5*)

Fairway Metals:  Ping G30 14.5* and 18*

Irons:   PXG Gen3 0311P (4-G) MMT80 Stiff

Wedges:  PXG 0311 Forged 54*/58* MMT80 Stiff

Putter:  Odyssey Stroke Lab “Double Wide” 34”

Bag:  G-Fore Daytona Plus (AKA: Vessel Lite)

I started playing when I was 12. Was a real student of the instrument, practicing all the time. I could play. I never entertained playing for a living, though I did teach for a while to make some side dough. I enjoyed that. Then, as an adult I started playing in blues jams around town. Started singing - as a way to get more playing time (haha). Took voice lessons, too, for a short while. Found out I had a 4.5 octave voice during the training with the voice instructor. Started playing and singing rock stuff I grew up listening to - Sammy Hagar, a little Journey, and a bay area rock band called Y&T (Yesterday and Today). When the front man of Y&T turned 50 he had me on stage at his b'day gig to play a song with him. That was surreal, and I'll always love that band. I played in a hard rock band for several years, all over norcal at the various rock clubs. My 3rd gig ever was at Slim's in SF - that was a trip. Then, about a decade ago, my firstborn came down with autism. I hung my prized Hamer guitar on the wall right over my custom-built half stack amp in my home office - where they remain today. Priorities...

Gear: Hamer Studio (unbelievable guitar), 50-watt Modern Vintage head with EL-34 power tubes sitting on a custom 4x12 cab with Celestion Greenbacks. I've got an old Dean acoustic.

Thug I've played almost daily for about as long as I've played golf. Can't sing a lick which is a little sad when you play a lot.

Prefer finger picking. Sigma Martin Classical from the college days and a Yamaha. Have a tone port set-up and sometimes lay down three or four tracks. At about the point I'm feeling cocky about it I listen to Tommy Emmanuel, Chet Atkins, or any of the greats and realize just what a huge lightweight I am. (lol - like watching pros play golf).

Good thread my friend. Love playing guitar. Probably good thing I can't sing... Life would have taken me in a very different direction.

Thug I've played almost daily for about as long as I've played golf. Can't sing a lick which is a little sad when you play a lot.

Prefer finger picking. Sigma Martin Classical from the college days and a Yamaha. Have a tone port set-up and sometimes lay down three or four tracks. At about the point I'm feeling cocky about it I listen to Tommy Emmanuel, Chet Atkins, or any of the greats and realize just what a huge lightweight I am. (lol - like watching pros play golf).

Good thread my friend. Love playing guitar. Probably good thing I can't sing... Life would have taken me in a very different direction.

Tommy Emmanuel is an alien. For some strange reason I think he could do a maniac collaboration with Rush.

I have some really nice guitars, but I am a horrible player. Every time I pick one up, I just fumble around chords and play what I think sounds good. I've been doing this on and off for a couple years now I really want to be a proficient guitarist, but have been putting off signing up for lessons. I feel bad that a guitar most people would love to have just sits there. I either need to get lessons or sell the guitars. I guess a new set of clubs wouldn't be the worst thing.

Just ordered a new Taylor 510e to compliment my Martin 000-28. Will throw up some pictures of the family when she arrives next week.

Driver: Callaway GBB EPIC 10.5* w/ [color=#545454][font=Roboto, arial, sans-serif][size=1]Project X [/size][/font][/color][color=#6A6A6A][font=Roboto, arial, sans-serif][size=1][b]HZRDUS T800 [/b][/size][/font][/color]
3 Wood: Ping G30 14.5* w/ TFC 419F Stiff
5 Wood: Ping G30 18* w/ TFC 419F Stiff
3-PW: Nike Vapor Pro w/ X-100 AMT
Wedges: 54/58* Callaway Mack Daddy Forged w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S-200
Putter: Ping Cadence Anser 2 Counterbalance
Bag: 2017 Ping Hoofer