Spieth's Attitude

KnightPS

So PLHR's back...

Ha. No, I am not PLHR. I really am a big Jordan fan. My wife called me a fanboy the other day. I think I am just holding him to an unreasonable standard. That's why I posted the thread, I realize it might be my flaw, not his.

Seriously, I do see it a little bit of what you see. Like Frankie said a few posts above, it feels as if he's pressing a bit.

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

#prayformikegreller

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

Oh Dear Lord, he's fine.....

LMAO, I'm not the only one with too much time on my hands, lol

Stay well my Friends :)

All the Best,

Richard

What!? No story or 5 paragraph post from you regarding this subject?! :cheesy: just playin'!

--

On a serious note, I have been noticing the same. Last year it was very cordial attitude but this year there's a lot more negativity whether it be with his outbursts and what not. It could contributed to a higher standard or more pressure but like others have mentioned, he is still young and as long as he keeps himself in check, he'll mature to be what he is too young to be right now.

Seems to me that some of y'all dislike Spieth for mundane or unknown reasons.

That's not fair to Jordan; here's the only reason one needs:

longhorns-logo11.jpg

:tongue:

PXG 0811X Proto 9*
Ping G30 14.5*

Ping G20 Hybrid 17*
PXG 0317X Gen 2 22*
Ping K15 4 Hybrid

Ping Rapture J-Spec 5 Iron

Ping i5 6 Iron

Ping S59 7-PW
Taylormade Hi-Toe 54*, 58*
Ping Zing 2 BeCu

Oh Dear Lord, he's fine.....

LMAO, I'm not the only one with too much time on my hands, lol

Stay well my Friends :)

All the Best,

Richard

You may have identified the problem. Not sure why I have invested this much thought into the subject since last Saturday. My next post will be about trying to count how many thousfands of mental golf swings I execute in my head throughout a day at the office.

HaHa, Bro, have you seen some of my stuff???

I should just STFU and sleep through my IV's, lol

It's either Play with you guys, scrap with the nurses or sleep, haha

It's a fun thread :)

Fairways & Greens My Friend,

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

Seems to me that some of y'all dislike Spieth for mundane or unknown reasons.

That's not fair to Jordan; here's the only reason one needs:

longhorns-logo11.jpg

:tongue:

Well, that and he's a Champion!!!

Been doin this at every single level since he was a tyke~

The ride ain't over and there's room on the bus Bois :)

Golfingly Yours,

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

Can someone provide me with a cheat sheet of who GolfWRX deems off-limits? Professional athlete gets frustrated with bad breaks at world's most frustrating game. In other news, water is wet.

12.0 @ 11.25 Titleist 915D2 | Diamana M+ 50
16.5 @ 17.25 Titleist TSI2 | HZRDUS Smoke Black 60

23.0 @ 22.25 Titleist TSI1 | HZRDUS Smoke Black 60
7H 29.0 @ 28.0 Titleist TSI1 | HZRDUS Smoke Black 80HYB
6-P Titleist T100 | Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue AM2
50.12F, 54.12D, 58.10S, 62.08M Titleist Vokey SM8 | Nippon 850GH
Scotty Cameron SS Newport 1.5
Taylormade TP5

Over the last few tournaments I can't help but notice that Spieth has had a little bit of an attitude problem. We know he always talks to his ball a lot and the back and forth with his caddy has been featured on all the broadcasts, but is this a different issue? My questions is, has he always been this way? I have a few theories. One is that the he played so well last year that it didn't get a chance to show itself. Another is that I was giving him too much of a benefit of the doubt as the new young gun on the scene. He is under a tremendous amount of pressure to stay on top and regain the #1 ranking, maybe the pressure is getting to him.

For me I think it started when he threw his caddy under the bus earlier this year (I know they win together and lose together) and last weekend I felt he was constantly complaining about the bounces he got and the lies he was left with.

Am I crazy or does anyone else see this happening?

For the record, I am a huge fan, and the real thing happening could be that I simply holding Jordan to a higher than reasonable standard and expecting too much.

I don't really watch that closely since I have enough to worry about. I did see him hit it in the water on 18 Sunday and hit his bag. You make a decent point about the ball for sure. They bounce where ever they want....so maybe he needed another year at Texas to figure that one out. Now it is pressure like nothing before with big sponsors and expectations...and just like me to this day I'm sure he is ultra competitive.

"We have learned that we must
live as men, not as ostriches, nor
as dogs in the manger." FDR

I think we're just noticing someone who is feeling a lot of pressure due to extremely high expectations. I don't mind the showing of emotions at all. People who are criticizing him for this are probably the same people who didn't like Jose Bautista launching his bat into the air during Game 5 of the ALDS.

Plus, like many have said already, if I tell myself to "eff off" during a tournament, I can only imagine what a tour pro must want to say when that kind of $$$ is on the line. Not to mention there is no "perfect athlete" just like there is no "perfect person". He's human, which makes what he (and Rory, and Jason, and on and on) so much more amazing.

What I don't like about it is the sense of entitlement he shows. It seems like he feels the universe owes him a perfect shot every time.

Not sure if serious.

Not sure why you are not sure.

Yes, very serious.

The way he reacts when he hits a bad shot is exactly like that, like he has a right to hit only perfect shots and like some entity does not respect that right. He even gets his fits when he hits it on the green, hole high, but 40 feet right of a left hand hole location.

Please enlighten me how you would describe that in any other way than I did.

I see a gap. There definitely is a gap.

What I don't like about it is the sense of entitlement he shows. It seems like he feels the universe owes him a perfect shot every time.

I agree in a sense, but I'd alter that thought a little. To me, his actions seem childish and immature. Like he's having a mini tantrum far to often.

The really loud complaining, slapping his bag or hitting the ground with his club. I hate it. It reminds me of behavior I've seen out of high school kids.

Not endearing at all. I hope someone in his inner circle gets in his ear a little bit.

I remember when I was 17. I was playing with my dad at his private club out in Cali. I hit a terrible shot, cursed and threw my club 7 or 8 feet toward the cart. It bounced and went towards another member in our group. It Didn't hit him, but he was startled and his expression said he was irritated. I immediately felt foolish, but as we got back in the cart and the other twosome were out of earshot, my dad looked at me with a look I had never seen before, like a look of death...and he very quietly and very slowly said, "if you ever do that again, it will be the last time we play golf together". It was abundantly clear he meant it. And that was the last time I ever threw a golf club or had a tantrum on the course.

That is exactly what I mean, and I can relate to that big time.

I played Tennis at a pretty high level from age 12 to about 15 or 16, and my hero was John McEnroe, because i also played serve and volley (stupid thing on Central European clay courts, but that was where my talent was), I always tried to outwit my opponents rather than outpower them, and I brought a really bad temper with me naturally. So, little wonder that I acted exactly like "my man" on the court as well.

And it was especially when I lost, because certain shots did not turn out the way I imagined, that I began to act that way.

When I watch golf on TV or play with somebody nowadays, I don't have a problem with people who curse at times or throw a club here and there, although I no longer do that myself. But when somebody constantly acts like an incredible injustice is done to him, it really gets on my nerves. And that is exactly what I see Spieth doing for the past few weeks.

Not sure if serious.

Yes, very serious.

The way he reacts when he hits a bad shot is exactly like that, like he has a right to hit only perfect shots and like some entity does not respect that right. He even gets his fits when he hits it on the green, hole high, but 40 feet right of a left hand hole location.

And if he stops showing emotions after poor shots, watch everyone on here start hollering about how he's content to collect that sweet, sweet Under Armour money.

12.0 @ 11.25 Titleist 915D2 | Diamana M+ 50
16.5 @ 17.25 Titleist TSI2 | HZRDUS Smoke Black 60

23.0 @ 22.25 Titleist TSI1 | HZRDUS Smoke Black 60
7H 29.0 @ 28.0 Titleist TSI1 | HZRDUS Smoke Black 80HYB
6-P Titleist T100 | Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue AM2
50.12F, 54.12D, 58.10S, 62.08M Titleist Vokey SM8 | Nippon 850GH
Scotty Cameron SS Newport 1.5
Taylormade TP5

Not sure if serious.

Yes, very serious.

And if he stops showing emotions after poor shots, watch everyone on here start hollering about how he's content to collect that sweet, sweet Under Armour money.

Showing emotions is one thing. I don't mind a short curse or a silent nonchalant helicoptering of a club into a lake, when it is over after that. What I do mind are ongoing tantrums.

Jordan's Beef is certainly showing a different side to himself this season. Perhaps he had it too easy last year and is now realising just how hard the game is when certain aspects are slightly off. He's neither putting or swinging as well, and it's showing in his results, as well as his attitude.

I like a bit of passion, but he's bordering on looking petulant because not everything is going his way, unlike last year, when it did.

PXG 0811X Gen2 9deg Driver - AD-GP 7TX
PXG 0341X Gen2 15deg Fairway - AD-GP 8TX
PXG 0311X Gen2 1 DI - KBS Prototype Graphite 95X
PXG 0311X Gen2 3 DI - KBS Prototype Graphite 95X
PXG 0311T Gen2 4-PW - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Sugar Daddy 51 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Sugar Daddy 56 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Zulu 61 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG Brandon H - 34.5”
PXG Operator H - 34.5”
Toulon Indianapolis - 34.5”
PXG 50/50 Staff Bag
Bridgestone Tour B X

KaBoom Baby!

As long as it doesn't get out of hand (cursing, throwing clubs, taking it out/blaming it on caddy, fans, media, etc.) I wholeheartedly approve of his emotion and attitude, both positive and negative. I don't want to watch robots out there, I'd like to see human beings who care about their performance with real emotions out there.

I'm also fine with TD celebrations (to an extent, I mean I don't want full dance numbers after a score to make it 35-7), bat flips, pumping fists after a big strikeout, pull-ups after a big dunk, posterizing defenders, etc. Rile the fans up, create bad blood, rivalries, etc and just be passionate without being rude/inappropriate.

Interesting. A person cannot do what they want. Rather what the audience assumes is the proper behavior.

Everybody can do anything they want.

And I can say if I like the behaviour or not, when someone asks the question in a community of which I am a member.

I don't think Jordan Spieth cares what we discuss here.

Interesting. A person cannot do what they want. Rather what the audience assumes is the proper behavior.

Yes. Totally. You nailed it.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

It took me years to control my anger at golf. Still not mastered it. For certain personality types it hard. He will improve his attitude in time.

XR16 Driver 11.5 Prolaunch Blue Axis reg spine aligned FLOed 45.25" 245y
Adams Speed Line Fast 12 Fairway 17 degrees stock Prolaunch Blue Speedcoat reg spine aligned FLOed 220y
Wilson19.5 Fybrid FY(fairway bridge) stock reg Prolaunch V2 spine aligned FLOed 200y
Adams Super Pro 23 Hybrid Stock Prolaunch Platinium reg spine aligned FLOed 190y
i25 Black Dot 4i-9i Z-Z65 1/2" Long(4-7i with bounce grind) 180-130y
i25 Black Dot UW weakened to 48 Z-Z65 1/2" Long 115y
TM TP 52-9(bent to 53) DG SL300(close match to Z-Z65) 1/2" long 100y
TM TP 58-10(bent to 59 bounce ground to 6) DG SL300(close match to Z-Z65) 1/4" long 85y
Evnroll ER5 370g Hatchback 34" No 30g counterweight 69 degrees Lie 4 Loft Winn Jumbo Lite Pistol 59g Grip Black Tone
All 13 grips GP MCC+4 Grey Logo hidden/down midsize +1 tape layer
Callaway Chrome Soft Ball White
Mizuno Skintite Glove

I've noticed more slamming of the clubs into the bag as well. You never see Mickelson, Scott or Day act this way. They're playing at the same level. And don't give me the youth excuse. He's a multiple major winner and acts like a teenager on the AJGA if he gets a bad bounce or his line was off.

I'm from TX and can't seem to come around liking him. Reminds me a little of JJ Watt here in Houston. Wants to be goody two-shoes but acts like a brat.

I might not see Phil, Scott or Day acting that way, but I sure remember Tiger and Rory acting that way. People aren't the same and they way they handle the stress of golf is going to be different. Some guys can go the stoic route (and then we complain they are robotic with no emotions) other guys express emotions. Obviously there is a line (berating your caddie is obviously on the other side of ok) but I wouldn't say Jordan's behavior crosses the line for me.