2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Fowlers pants.... You gotta be kidding

Here's my question... Do you guys want the sport of Golf to die?

I'm 30, so while this 'trend' won't be seen on me, I'm also young enough to know that I won't be caught dead wearing what half of the posters here do either. (10 years ago, we all likely agreed 'skinny jeans' would never catch on, but we all know how that played out) As someone mentioned above, this isn't about respect, or tradition, or setting new trends. It's about spreading the demographic of Golf beyond, yuppy, rich, white, 60 year old, men. Appealing to younger generations, even if only with 1 golfer they can relate to, could exponentially increase the business of golf for the entire lifespan of a single generation. This is not to imply that a small demographic, from a single generation will make or break the game of golf, but to be so close minded as to dismiss an entire golfer, brand, trend, style, fad, or whathaveyou, is just the first step in dwindling the audience as a whole. As a 30 year old, I am the product of Tiger Woods. My existence on the golf course, and on this forum can be directly related to Tiger Woods and Nike making golf 'cool' when I was growing up. The Tiger effect was massive. Fowler is not Tiger, but if he can attract even a fraction of new-golfers to the sport, that otherwise would have never even looked twice... then you can't sit here and tell me Fowler is negatively effecting the sport, because you think his clothes are offensive. If you truly want nothing but tradition, then the sport will die with your generation, in which you believe the tradition was created.

I understand that in your eyes golf is 'your game', but it's not. As a younger golfer, more often than not, I find myself despising being around the 'golf crowd'. I feel like I'm constantly being condescended to, or treated with disdain. I dislike spending time in pro-shops, because many of the older staff simply can't be bothered to help some kid. It's as if I'm dismissed for my age, and this extends onto the golf course as well. In tournaments it feels like we're being watched, people just expect you to do something completely disrespectful. You feel the eyes of people just waiting because they assume you're a hoodlum, here to steal, break, or set the store on fire. Demo Days, Fittings, Expo's, even at Lessons, you get that sense, that you simply aren't worth their time. You don't matter, you aren't wanted, and you don't belong. In essence, the way many of you view, discuss, and treat Fowler's pants, directly correlate to how you view, discuss, and ultimately treat young golfers in general. It's repulsive, and not just from a golfing perspective, but for humanity as a whole. Not everyone, not every time, not everywhere, but just something to keep in mind.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure how wearing (really,really) slim fitting golf pants (yes, these are golf pants) is disrespectful to the masters/golf. Whether they are liked or not, they are fashionable. I for one don't like the two tone color scheme but like them otherwise.

Some of you guys should lighten up. This "Oh no rickie, not at the masters" talk is a little much. Not like he's wearing sweat pants or shorts.

Edit:

Not to rough anyone's feathers but as soon as I posted that, I visited social media and the first thing that popped up was this from "menwithstreetstyle"

It may go against the grain HERE but this is fashionable fellas

Those pants were the style back in the late sixties. I think we called them stove pipes,bare ankles and all.

Shambles

I'm 30, so while this 'trend' won't be seen on me, I'm also young enough to know that I won't be caught dead wearing what half of the posters here do either. (10 years ago, we all likely agreed 'skinny jeans' would never catch on, but we all know how that played out) As someone mentioned above, this isn't about respect, or tradition, or setting new trends. It's about spreading the demographic of Golf beyond, yuppy, rich, white, 60 year old, men. Appealing to younger generations, even if only with 1 golfer they can relate to, could exponentially increase the business of golf for the entire lifespan of a single generation. This is not to imply that a small demographic, from a single generation will make or break the game of golf, but to be so close minded as to dismiss an entire golfer, brand, trend, style, fad, or whathaveyou, is just the first step in dwindling the audience as a whole. As a 30 year old, I am the product of Tiger Woods. My existence on the golf course, and on this forum can be directly related to Tiger Woods and Nike making golf 'cool' when I was growing up. The Tiger effect was massive. Fowler is not Tiger, but if he can attract even a fraction of new-golfers to the sport, that otherwise would have never even looked twice... then you can't sit here and tell me Fowler is negatively effecting the sport, because you think his clothes are offensive. If you truly want nothing but tradition, then the sport will die with your generation, in which you believe the tradition was created.

I understand that in your eyes golf is 'your game', but it's not. As a younger golfer, more often than not, I find myself despising being around the 'golf crowd'. I feel like I'm constantly being condescended to, or treated with disdain. I dislike spending time in pro-shops, because many of the older staff simply can't be bothered to help some kid. It's as if I'm dismissed for my age, and this extends onto the golf course as well. In tournaments it feels like we're being watched, people just expect you to do something completely disrespectful. You feel the eyes of people just waiting because they assume you're a hoodlum, here to steal, break, or set the store on fire. Demo Days, Fittings, Expo's, even at Lessons, you get that sense, that you simply aren't worth their time. You don't matter, you aren't wanted, and you don't belong. In essence, the way many of you view, discuss, and treat Fowler's pants, directly correlate to how you view, discuss, and ultimately treat young golfers in general. It's repulsive, and not just from a golfing perspective, but for humanity as a whole. Not everyone, not every time, not everywhere, but just something to keep in mind.

The game of golf is over 400 years old, and it isn't going anywhere soon, jogging pants or not. The reason the older golf crowd dismiss a lot of cats your age is because so many have their own personal drama that they wear on sleeves, and think their generation must be the most important to anything and everything. For instance, did you really need to make this thread about your personal outrage just to comment on a pair of really bad pants? Maybe next time engage those guys by asking what they shot on their round rather than going immediately into a social commentary.

Titleist Tsi3 9/Tensei White 65x

Titleist Tsi2 16.5/Tensei White 75x

Titleist 818 h2 21/Tensei White 95x

Mizuno Mp-20 mb 4-Pw/Dynamic Gold 120x

Mizuno T22 50, 54, 58/Dynamic Gold s400

Bettinardi Studio Stock #8

Titleist ProV1x

Maybe it's my generation (I am 60), but I am really surprised at all the topics, posts, threads on clothes. I thought that was a girl thing. I couldn't care less about "scripting" or fashion.

We call it "tour poser" Sean, but apparently the rest of the young world calls it "cosplayer" instead. I had to look up that term myself before I believed it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosplay

Titleist Tsi3 9/Tensei White 65x

Titleist Tsi2 16.5/Tensei White 75x

Titleist 818 h2 21/Tensei White 95x

Mizuno Mp-20 mb 4-Pw/Dynamic Gold 120x

Mizuno T22 50, 54, 58/Dynamic Gold s400

Bettinardi Studio Stock #8

Titleist ProV1x

Over the years of dealing with people on a daily basis...both on the course,and for a lifetime in Law Enforcement,you learn to read people

fairly well.The older generation have lived thru a lifetime of good and not so good/ Sometimes very bad. Two generations of Korea and Vietnam

experiences taught them a lot. A lot adopted the age old adage,of "Burn me once,shame on you....Burn me twice,shame on me". There is

normally always a reason people are the way they are.Yes,you will have the occasional grumpy ole man type....but you will also have the

loud mouth profanity spewing disrespectful to the game/course younger type sometimes too. These two groups will clash. The old guys know it,

and they sometimes choose not to get involved with the younger crowd,thereby avoiding any clashes,and get labeled "grumpy". The younger ones know it and seem to

SOMETIMES go out of their way to create the situation. Its just different generations .....life lived vs life learning.....and a good part of the younger ones

will one day,faster than they think,become the next generation of grumpy old men. Gotta love father time....he always wins.

Certified Orginal Member#2
Outlaw Golf Association
To Heck with the USGA

Maybe it's my generation (I am 60), but I am really surprised at all the topics, posts, threads on clothes. I thought that was a girl thing. I couldn't care less about "scripting" or fashion.

We call it "tour poser" Sean, but apparently the rest of the young world calls it "cosplayer" instead. I had to look up that term myself before I believed it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosplay

Wow, learn something new every day, thanks.

I like Rickie (he's actually great for the game, a gentlemen and acts very professional) and I'm cool with most of the stuff he wears - but based off the picture in the original post, those things look horrendous! lol. I don't care if they are tight, or joggers, or with hightops - I'm fine with all that but the jester split cop colors look is brutal in my opinion!

WITH THAT BEING SAID, I couldn't care less what he wears. Would I wear it? No, but if someone else wears it I'm totally fine with it. It's ok for us to disagree on what we think is "cool" or "looks good" .... but no need to bash the person.

Plenty of ways to show your personality or making yourself stand out. Lots of guys do it with colors and sharp dressing. No one should do it so that they are leaving themselves open to being mocked. If that is happening, maybe what you think is stylish and cool, really isn't and you need to rethink your strategy.

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45"

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Rogue 3iron Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4-AW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM2 52º cc, SM4 56°, SM4 60°
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

What truly baffles me about this thread is the amount of people who want to absolutely sh*t on the kid for a style choice, but can't even SPELL HIS NAME RIGHT!

And if nothing else, one thing this thread taught me is how ignorant some people can be - regardless of what he wears or acts like on a golf course, what he shoots on a given day... he is actually PLAYING while everyone here is sitting on a golf forum mocking him. I don't know about you, but I'd MUCH rather be playing Augusta -- not sitting here crying about what a person is wearing there.

No one else besides Rickie has young kids dressing like him, wearing all orange with flat brim hats. Do you guys want this game you claim to love so much to die? Because that's exactly what this thread is telling me you're trying to accomplish.

What truly baffles me about this thread is the amount of people who want to absolutely sh*t on the kid for a style choice, but can't even SPELL HIS NAME RIGHT!

And if nothing else, one thing this thread taught me is how ignorant some people can be - regardless of what he wears or acts like on a golf course, what he shoots on a given day... he is actually PLAYING while everyone here is sitting on a golf forum mocking him. I don't know about you, but I'd MUCH rather be playing Augusta -- not sitting here crying about what a person is wearing there.

No one else besides Rickie has young kids dressing like him, wearing all orange with flat brim hats. Do you guys want this game you claim to love so much to die? Because that's exactly what this thread is telling me you're trying to accomplish.

The game is gonna die because nobody wants to look ridiculous (or "fashion forward" depending on your POV)? And those people are trying to kill the game?? Now that's truly baffling.

The game is gonna die because nobody wants to look ridiculous (or "fashion forward" depending on your POV)? And those people are trying to kill the game?? Now that's truly baffling.

I didn't say you had to wear those clothes or the game would die. I mean that people, especially kids are going to start wearing those clothes on the course whether you like it or not, so you can either look down on those people and bash them until they no longer want to play anymore OR you can just shut up and accept it so that kids who idolize players like Rickie will feel accepted wearing clothes THEY think is fashion forward on the golf course. I am not too narrow-minded to know that my POV on the clothes ANYONE wears doesn't really matter nor will it change what Rickie is going to wear anyway.

Rickie fashion is definitely a good thing to help grow the game with future generations, to attract more young eye balls to the game of golf, I am ok knowing its a bi-product of making doe ray me for Puma. Certainly, the cool thing about fashion is that you have a choice for yourself...choose carefully my friends.

PXG GEN6 0311 10.5*DRIVER/FUJI RED VELOCORE 6S/GP TW WHT

PXG GEN5 0311XF 17*FAIRWAY/FUJI MOTORE X F3 7S/GP TW WHT

PXG GEN3 0311XP 3 IRON/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG GEN3 0311P 4-PW/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG GEN4 0311P GW/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG SD II WEDGES/56/13&62/10/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/GP TW BLK

MACHINE M2A 1018RAW CS PUTTER/ACCRA I-STEEL/SS FLAT 1.0

if someone is paying me millions to dress me up 2-4 days a week...............I'd wear a skirt if that's what they want!! I have no soul.

COBRA LTDx LS 9* 

Taylormade P790 2 Iron
Taylormade P790 3 - 4 Irons 
Taylormade P750 5 - 6 Irons 
Taylormade P730 7 - 9 Irons
ARTISAN GOLF 0318 mallet

ARTISAN GOLF custom grind 45* wedge 

ARTISAN GOLF custom grind 50* wedge
ARTISAN GOLF custom grind 55* wedge

Jimmy Fowler?

MCC Align Midsize

I didn't say you had to wear those clothes or the game would die. I mean that people, especially kids are going to start wearing those clothes on the course whether you like it or not, so you can either look down on those people and bash them until they no longer want to play anymore OR you can just shut up and accept it so that kids who idolize players like Rickie will feel accepted wearing clothes THEY think is fashion forward on the golf course. I am not too narrow-minded to know that my POV on the clothes ANYONE wears doesn't really matter nor will it change what Rickie is going to wear anyway.

so you think people on an internet msg board that disapprove of Fowler's fashion sense, or lack thereof, are going look down on kids that don't and bash them until they no longer want to play anymore? I doubt it works out that way. And if you know that your opinion on the clothes anyone wears doesn't really matter, then you might consider that those opinions of others probably doesn't either, in the grand scheme of things.

I may be wrong, but maybe PUMA is making or having a strong influence on him wearing them? I don't think Rickie went to Puma and said "hey let's try something new, make me some skinny, yoga/sweatpants I can wear golfing, let's see if the trend catches on." I think PUMA is to blame somewhat here as well. We don't know what's in his contract but I'm pretty sure Rickie could have said, hell no, to wearing these pants. I don't like them but just looking at it from Puma's angle too.

He asked for them. Joggers and hi-tops are how he dresses off the course. He wanted to bring it to the course because he felt comfortable.

So if I showed up wearing my bathrobe, slippers and tighty whiteys on the first tee, I'm good to go?

C'mon man.

Is this is the same WRX where there is a 20 page thread about whether shirts are okay un-tucked at a club?

They are not ok. :)

These pants are very bad, but untucked shirts are worse.

I was hoping that someone from The Masters would have taken him aside and told him that they weren't acceptable. He really should look around on any practice range and see what anyone else is wearing and realize that he looks like an idiot. He could even play a Euro event and not see that same whatever that is he is wearing.

Because, above all else, conformity it the top priority.

Where have you been? Non golfers have been laughing at golfer's clothes for generations - lol.

I was hoping that someone from The Masters would have taken him aside and told him that they weren't acceptable. He really should look around on any practice range and see what anyone else is wearing and realize that he looks like an idiot. He could even play a Euro event and not see that same whatever that is he is wearing.

Not saying he has to conform. You just don't have to dress like a clown to stand out or be different. Then again, maybe he can resort to being this guy if he wants to be different and stand out.

Before you ask, "what happened to that guy", he is currently serving 3 consecutive life sentences (but not for bad hair).

MCC Align Midsize

Not saying he has to conform. You just don't have to dress like a clown to stand out or be different. Then again, maybe he can resort to being this guy if he wants to be different and stand out.

Before you ask, "what happened to that guy", he is currently serving 3 consecutive life sentences (but not for bad hair).

In other words - conform.

Bet he doesn't even lift.

BEST QUOTE EVER!!!

Callaway Mavrik - Fujikura Pro 2.0 6-S stiff 
Tour Edge 3 wood - Mitsubishi Fubuki HL-55 stiff 
Callaway Apex 21 3 hybrid - UST Mamiya Recoil Dart 75 HYB stiff
Mizuno JPX921 Hot Metal 5-PW - Nippon N.S. PROGH neo stiff 

Haywood Signature 48°, 52°, 56°, 60° - KBS Tour stiff
PXG One & Done

I know some people like and people some hate Fowlers fashion sense. But what in the world is up with the woman's yoga hot pants that he was wearing today. Being fashionable is one thing, but straight up embarrassing yourself by wearing your girlfriends yoga stretch pants at the Masters is another.....

Really like Rickie, but that's a horrible look for a golfer. 80 doesn't help his case.

Very solid post here.