TaylorMade Burner Rescue

TaylorMade Burner Rescue Hybrids:

* Steel clubhead 7% larger than the Rescue Dual in volume, 13% larger in footprint

* Shallow clubface design making it easier to launch high and long

* Tremendous forgiveness for long, straight results on off-center hits

* Extremely light total weight with light shaft and light grip

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am looking for a hybrid to replace my non-existent 3 iron. I am a cally guy, all cally irons, woods, drivers, and putter (Odessey). Not that it had to be that way, it is just the clubs that worked best for me.

I have hit the various hybrids on 3 different days this week, comparing all of them each time. I tried Callaway (X, Havenwood, FT), MacTec, Cobra Bafller, Adams (OS2, OS3, Boxer), and others. I really wanted to like the Callys, but they just did not work for me.

I did not want to try the Burner Rescue as I tried the driver earlier this year and did not like the feel at all. But the guy convinced me to try them, so I gave them a go. Every time I hit this thing it was long and straight, I needed the stiff RE*AX shaft to give me more consistency the regular was a little whippy. I went back to this club on every occasion and hit it great each time. When I was off, it was a little draw, but only 5 yards. I hit about 30 balls with this club and it is the one for me. I am now considering replacing my 4 ironin addition to picking one up to replace my non-existent 3 iron.

My only complaint about the club is the paint schema, I am not a big fan. But if it hits good and consistently and fits my swing, then a little dirt will quiet down the look of the paint schema.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have the 19* and at the moment I swing it too fast for reg but not quite quick enough for stiff (obviously varies from manufacturer to manufacturer). I went with the standard superfast shaft in reg for higher lauch softer landing etc. But it was ridiculously flexy I hit a massive sweeping hook and so have now put and irod reg it it and it flies!

• 5 months later...
I have the 19* and at the moment I swing it too fast for reg but not quite quick enough for stiff (obviously varies from manufacturer to manufacturer). I went with the standard superfast shaft in reg for higher lauch softer landing etc. But it was ridiculously flexy I hit a massive sweeping hook and so have now put and irod reg it it and it flies!

I used to play stiff flex for all my clubs but have recently changed all my driver/fairway woods/hybrids to regular flex. The biggest problem I had with hitting the woods/hybrids was that I would try to swing hard and fast and the ball would be all over the place. Since changing over to the regular flex, it has forced me to swing with better tempo with better results. My irons are still in stiff flex, but my driver/wood play has improved significantly.

As far as the TM Burner, it's probably the best hybrind I've ever used. I tried everything from Cobra Baffler, Cleveland HiBore to Nike Sumo2 and others. None of which came close to that of the Burner. The Cobra and Clevelands are just plain ugly at address with the weird shape. Mentally, I just couldn't get used to it. I really love the way the Burners look at address, and the ball just flies off the face with great forgiveness.

I own the #3 hybrid, and wished TM would make a #2 as well. All in all, a great hybrid.

• 1 month later...
I own the #3 hybrid, and wished TM would make a #2 as well. All in all, a great hybrid.

me too man, its a great club. much easier to hit than a five wood or comparable club. i typically carry it off the ground about 200 or so and about 220 off the tee.

it does go a bit high for my liking but overall its easy as hell to hit and is straight for days.

i wish they made it in a 1 and 2 though as well. i wonder what a similar club would be that does come in a 1 or 2 is...?

I just went to Nevada Bob's today in search of a hybrid. I needed one for my upcoming tournament on May 31. I tested out the burner, the ping g10, the callaway x, the callaway ft, the adams boxer, and the adams pro. The best and most consistent hybrid was the burner. For me a 14 year old i was averaging about 210 with this 3 hybrid and i only drive the ball about 240.....this is definately the club that i will be buying. Props to Taylormade for such a sick club!

• 2 months later...

replaced the 4 iron with the 22 deg, boy this is one easy to hit club. Straight and effortless, can recommend this club to everyone.

Driver = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max-D 

3 wood = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max HL

3 Hybrid = Taylormade Stealth Pro
Irons = 4-PW Miura KM 700
Gap Wedge = Miura HB 50*

Sand Wedge = Taylormade MG3 TW 56*

Putter = LAB DF3

Ball = TP5x v’s Chrome Tour 

• 1 month later...

Started with the 3 iron replacement, then added the 4, nearly a year ago. Hit a handful of other hybrids before purchasing these. The TM Burner Rescues are simply easier to hit well, compared to the others I tried. Recently added the 5 iron replacement after finding that I can hit it a little more consistently than my G10 5 iron. Biggest surprise is how nice these are in the rough. I would say these clubs have a slight bias for higher than average trajectory and also a very slight draw bias. Both desirable attributes for most golfers, in my view. It is nice to feel like I have a good chance to hit the green from 160 to 200 yards away. Or that I can lay up on par 5's with a high level of reliability to be in the fairway.

• 1 month later...
if your natural ball flight is a draw are these a bad idea?

If your natural ball flight is a draw, I wouldn't say these are a bad idea, but I suggest really hitting a number of different hybrids before making a choice. I've had them in the bag for over a year now - as my swing has changed and improved, I am increasingly hitting these hybrids with too much draw. On the range, I can do some things to get them going perfectly straight or with only slight draw, but under pressure, too often, they have too much right to left movement compared to what I want. I'm not getting rid of them at this point but over the winter I'm going to demo some alternatives that are more weight and face neutral and just consider my options. I will say for sure that these hybrids do give you a lot of confidence standing over the ball. You know the ball is going to get up, and you know the ball is not going right. The trick is getting that 3-5 yard draw, not the 15-20 yard draw/hook, under pressure.

curious what you have found to be a more neutral setup--ping g10 hybrids perhaps? i'm in touch with a local seller of an 08 19 degree high launch stiff rescue for a decent price so i'm considering it. where i play, i need a 2.5 iron distance off the tee on a couple of holes which is why i'm considering bagging the 3 iron....

I agree w/ the above. I've had the 19* for over a year now. To me this club just looks very confidence inspiring at set up. Its very easy to hit and get up in the air also. I do fight a hook w/ it. I'm not sure if this is the shaft or if the face is slightly shut. If i hang on at impact, i can blast this thing about 230 +/-. I sticking w/ this club and adding the new titleist 909 hybrid 15* in place of a 3 wood.

I may even get the rescue 22* in place of a 4 iron. Its that good and easy to hit.

I had the G10 for a few months. It was a monster off the tee, but for some reason the leading edge and I just did not get along in terms of feeling good about hitting off the turf. Too much scatter. For hybrids, it is what fits each person's eye. But I believe the G10 to be more neutral weight and face, yes. With the TM Burner Rescue, if I keep my grip together properly through impact, and don't get too flat with my plane, the ball flight is fairly straight. I haven't given up on them yet. If I try anything different, I think I will demo a Cleveland Hibore. I may also hit a Bobby Jones, I had good luck with them before in demos. I will not return to Nickent - the flight is straight but for me the trajectory is too low and the feel is dead in my hands. I think the secret is to demo as many as possible - the off season is a great time to do that.

I just bought these (3, 4, and 5 in M flex) to replace my Ping G10 hybrids. I just got them in today, so I only got to hit a bucket balls on the range. I was swinging too fast with the new club excitement, but they still went pretty darn straight! These are much easier to hit at a high trajectory, so I hope to get some softer landings when I am going for the green.

I am playing 18 before Thanksgiving dinner, so I will give them a course test then. :yahoo:

EDIT:

I played these on the course for the first time this am. All I can say is WOW. These are longer than the G10 hybrids I had, since I did not have them cut shorter. I choked down a little to get more control. I do not want to cut them (yet) because I think the extra 3/4" will give me a little more distance if I can control it.

I hit one shot off the toe. (I think this was the 4 hybrid) This is a shot that I had to hit over water, over a bunker and hit a very narrow green. It was sweet, and straight, even off the toe. It is much easier to hit these high, even off the tight lies that we get in the winter. (I three putted, so I still made a 5 :( )

Another par 3, took my 5 hybrid and chunked it in the water. OK, I re-teed and hit it within 6 feet and made the put for a 4.

I love these!

• 3 months later...

I've been thru several hybrids. Cleveland hibore, Nike CPR, Callaway Heavenwood to name a few. The Taylor Made Burner Rescue is far and away the best hybrid i've tried. Flies high, tight, and true! I am so relieved that I discovered this club. I started with a 4. Bought the 3 a couple weeks after. Looking to possibly buy the 5 now. At the prices they go for now ( i've boughten them all new for less than 100 online, and that was last season ) you cannot go wrong. I highly suggest this club. It will change your game.

I am back to loving these hybrids. I had gotten the left hand grip a little too much in the fingers, and the right hand a bit strong. After making some adjustments with my grip, I am now once again hitting them straight and high. As an above average golfer but not someone who has yet reached single digit handicap index, it is really nice to be able to have confidence into the green from 180 to 190 yards out. Or to lay up on some tight par 5's without worrying about going left or right.

• 2 weeks later...

Bear with me as this is my first post.

I recently took up and now have become obsessed with golf. I was given an old set of Callaway Great Big Bertha Irons and "thrown together" woods and drivers. I hit balls once in a blue moon and played every now and then and basically "stunk". A friend of mine asked me to meet him to play one day and it ended up being in a tournament. I was embarrassed before I even started. and on my first tee shot I shanked it hard left and hit a house. I was completely embarassed. So then this older man (70's) gets up and nails a line drive right down the fairway. By the sixth hole the results were about the same and the older man suggested I try his driver. I had always heard, "it's the archer, not the arrow", so I thought it would not make a difference but I was curious to see what would happen. Well, needless to say I hit (up until that point) the best drive I've ever hit. So on the next hole I tried the driver again and the results were the same. That was pretty much the moment I was hooked and determined to "get it".

I went to test different drivers at Edwin Watts and they determined that was the Taylor Made Burner 9.5 was the driver for me. The more I practiced the more I wanted to change each of my clubs. I hit woods and hybrids better then my irons at first and replaced the longer irons with Burner Rescue hybrids. I notice with the hybrids if I make a swooping swing down into the ball the results were usually what I wanted.

Now that I've been regularly playing and practicing 3-4 times per week and working with my irons regularly I feel as though I am ready to look into new technology like X-20's. I think I will do the same thing I did with my driver though and that's go get tested on the computer.

Part of me feels like having all those hybrids in my bag looks "funny" and I should play lower irons...I guess as long as the results keep getting better than that's all that matters right?

Bear with me as this is my first post.

I recently took up and now have become obsessed with golf. I was given an old set of Callaway Great Big Bertha Irons and "thrown together" woods and drivers. I hit balls once in a blue moon and played every now and then and basically "stunk". A friend of mine asked me to meet him to play one day and it ended up being in a tournament. I was embarrassed before I even started. and on my first tee shot I shanked it hard left and hit a house. I was completely embarassed. So then this older man (70's) gets up and nails a line drive right down the fairway. By the sixth hole the results were about the same and the older man suggested I try his driver. I had always heard, "it's the archer, not the arrow", so I thought it would not make a difference but I was curious to see what would happen. Well, needless to say I hit (up until that point) the best drive I've ever hit. So on the next hole I tried the driver again and the results were the same. That was pretty much the moment I was hooked and determined to "get it".

I went to test different drivers at Edwin Watts and they determined that was the Taylor Made Burner 9.5 was the driver for me. The more I practiced the more I wanted to change each of my clubs. I hit woods and hybrids better then my irons at first and replaced the longer irons with Burner Rescue hybrids. I notice with the hybrids if I make a swooping swing down into the ball the results were usually what I wanted.

Now that I've been regularly playing and practicing 3-4 times per week and working with my irons regularly I feel as though I am ready to look into new technology like X-20's. I think I will do the same thing I did with my driver though and that's go get tested on the computer.

Part of me feels like having all those hybrids in my bag looks "funny" and I should play lower irons...I guess as long as the results keep getting better than that's all that matters right?

Age might have a bearing on this. But I am 50 and have three of the TM Burner hybrids - 3,4, and 5. My handicap index was down to 10.9 at end of last golf season in fall. Has crept up a few points over the winter, as expected, but I am looking to get to high single digits this season. Use what works. If you have a small amount of extra money, do what I did - get the 5 iron as part of the set, then you can hit the 5 iron against the 5 hybrid and determine what works best. If things change in the future, you will have the alternate at home in the basement, ready to go.

• 1 month later...

I have the 22* and 25* Burners. I am using them to replace my 3 and 4 iron (G10s). My lowest lofted iron is the G10 5 iron at 27*. The Burner 5 Hybrid really replaces the G10 4 iron. The loft of the Burner is 1* less than the 4 iron so I am going from a 25* hybrid to my next club being a 27* iron. Because of the added length over the 4 iron, the 5 hybrid is the perfect "next club" after the 5 iron.

I have the 22* and 25* Burners. I am using them to replace my 3 and 4 iron (G10s). My lowest lofted iron is the G10 5 iron at 27*. The Burner 5 Hybrid really replaces the G10 4 iron. The loft of the Burner is 1* less than the 4 iron so I am going from a 25* hybrid to my next club being a 27* iron. Because of the added length over the 4 iron, the 5 hybrid is the perfect "next club" after the 5 iron.

I think you need to hit the clubs outside, with a gps or rangefinder, to find out your yardages with these hybrids versus the G10. You can't accurately compare a loft on a hybrid to a loft on an iron and conclude that one will be further than the other or vice versa. Individual results will vary, but for me at average swing speed and R flex stock shafts, my Burner hybrids are an exact distance replacement for my G10 irons - 5 hybrid replaces 5 iron, etc. My total distance with medium high trajectory is 4 hybrid 185 yards, 5 hybrid 175 yards, 6 iron 165 yards (btw coming into most greens, the ball pretty much stops right where it lands with these clubs unless you hit a bit thin).

• 2 years later...