Bridgestone Tour B330-RX

GwrxMod

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

I've only played a couple of rounds with them, but so far i like what I see. For my game, the ball feels great off the driver - which is one of the reasons I was interested in trying it. As far as greenside spin, that's not my forte... but - once again - I can feel this ball a bit better.

I will play a couple of dozen. The sad thing is the price of all the dang good balls is so friggin' high!

I had high expectations for this ball. Today I had the chance to try one and was very disappointed. This ball feels and plays very similar to the E5+ in my opinion. Another one of the players in my group also tried the ball and said after the first shot that he didn't like how it feels. He played the hole out with it and gave it back to the guy that gave it to him. There are much better balls out there for the price they are selling these for.

I played 18 today as a single trying this ball along with my chosen few. I teed off with one of these on a par 5 and it flew pretty far. I then re-teed with a Taylor Made Black LDP. Same general drive except the TM flew higher and bolted past the RX. Skycaddie told the tale... 227 yards vs. 255 yards. I can honestly say that this ball is simply "average." This isn't anything special, therefore I can't justify the $42 price tag. I'd rather blow it on a ball that does as advertised.

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

Distance: It seems about the same as all the other premium balls

Feel: It feels much softer but not mushy. I love it off the putter.

[b][i]Titleist 917D3[/i][/b]
[b][i]Titleist 917F3[/i][/b]
[b][i]Titleist [/i]816H1[/b]
[b][i]Titleist 716[/i][/b] [i][b]AP2 [/b][/i]
[i][b]Titleist Vokey SM6[/b][/i]
[i][b]Titleist Scotty Cameron Golo 5[/b][/i]
[i][b]Titleist Pro V1X[/b][/i]

Have played 36 holes with this ball.

Found the ball to be as long as any ball I have played. I have played the Pro V1X, B 330 S, Taylor Made Black LDP, Taylor Made Burner.

Around the green the ball just did not stop like the Pro V1X, 330 S, or even the Burner. Maybe if I play with it a while I can get used to its

characteristics.

The ball is durable as any other.

I must say I was not playing my regular course with this ball so some of the problems around the green could have been not knowing the course.

I usually play bent grass greens, but was in Florida this week and played bermuda geens.

• 1 month later...

I was really excited about trying this ball after my Bridgestone ball fitting. My driver SS was 103mph on average and was told the 330S was best but to try the RX once they came out.

I picked up a couple sleeves and played 3 rounds side by side against the TP Red and new B330S. I hit the TP and 330 S well past the RX every time. I even had a buddy tee the ball up for me so I could not tell which was which. I also had the 330S and TP stop dead on the greens with approach shots and wedges. Consistently the RX had rolled out a bit too far for my liking.

Putting was OK but overall I was disappointed with this ball, especially considering the price. For me the biggest issue was lack of spin on approaches and chips.

I wonder if 103mph is too close to the recommended SS?

I have recently played a sleeve of the RX and here is my take on the ball:

Pluses:

Soft feeling off all clubs

Long off all clubs(as long as any decent feeling ball)

Putts well

VERY durable,it may have been a fluke but the RX last longer than most any ball I've played

Negatives:

Approach spin is only fair

Price,they are way too high but their durability offsets the price somewhat

I don't think I will buy anymore because I can use my regular ball (Srixon AD333) and it plays just as well for $10.00 per dozen less

Callaway Rouge 10.5

Rouge 3 wood

XR hybrid 19*

4-LW XR irons

White Hot 1

Recently went through a complete "tour bag" fitting, sans putter, ball included. The 330RX (isn't that a Lexus SUV) came off as the "best ball" for my game. Have played 2 rounds so far, found it to be a little bit longer on all clubs, superior feel on the greens but the spin on irons seems to be much less than the Callaway. Of course, it's cold right now and the hardness of the greens could be a factor but spin with wedges has been very good. Unlike an earlier poster, I've found it to be much more durable than the iX.

• 3 weeks later...

I played the b330rx for the first time today and I think im going to play it the rest of the winter. It was 45 deg out and I was still able to compress it and it felt good off the putter. I was playing the b330s but started loosing a lot of distance with the weather change thought to try a lower compression ball and I liked it. Seems like a winner.

• 3 weeks later...

The RX is agreat ball for the majority of players. Not a lot of amatures swing faster than or anywhwere near 105mph, for these guys it should be a great choice.

The RX goes longer than any other ball at lower s/s. There is plenty of check to be had on the greens and it has a nice soft feel for putting. Cover is very soft so not very durable, but this is the same for any premium ball that has some spin.

About time somebody made a ball that is better suited to the majority of golfers, not just lumping us with something that should be used on pro tours only. :beruo:

The RX is agreat ball for the majority of players. Not a lot of amatures swing faster than or anywhwere near 105mph, for these guys it should be a great choice.

The RX goes longer than any other ball at lower s/s. There is plenty of check to be had on the greens and it has a nice soft feel for putting. Cover is very soft so not very durable, but this is the same for any premium ball that has some spin.

About time somebody made a ball that is better suited to the majority of golfers, not just lumping us with something that should be used on pro tours only. :beruo:

Having played a dozen of them my conclusion is that it is a great premium ball for folks with a ss <95 mph.

Persoanlly they are too soft for me, I like the B330s much better, but then again my ss is 100-104 mph.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

my driver SS : 90mph

Driver : same distance other balls , soft and low side-spin

Iron : softer longer and higher than PROV1 , similar NXT or ZIP (for me B330RX is better than other premium balls)

Chip and little pitch : very good feel and spin (similar other premium balls)

Putter : good feel

B330RX is my ball for 2009

PING G425  max driver   10.5°    Alta-quick 35g soft-R  

PING G425  SFT  wood 3  5  7 ( 15° 19°  23°)       soft-R  DISTANZA

PING G le 2  wood     7(27°)  9(31°) Alta CB soft-R (+0,5" and some lead under the head)

PING G430 hybrid  7 (35°)

PING I500 soft-R Alta CB 5 - PW (22,5° (27°) (32,5°) (37°) 42° 47° ( 52°) )

PING Chip-R  soft-R Alta CB (38,5°)
PING Glide 3 eye2 54° 60° Alta CB soft-R 
PING Sigma 2  FETCH or PING Anser 6 milled

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I took the Bridgestone Ball Fitting Challenge at the Windsor Golf Course on 4/12/09 and this is the ball that was recommended for me. I hit three drivers with a ProV1 and a B330RX and here were my results-

Swing Speed: Prov1 89.4 mph B330-RX 90 mph

Ball Velocity: Prov1 146.4 mph B330-RX 146.5 mph

Launch Angle: Prov1 13.8 degrees B330-RX 11.0degrees

Ball Spin: Prov1 2633 rpm B330-RX 2683 rpm

Side Spin: Prov1 -983 rpm B330-RX -397 rpm

Distance: Prov1 246 yards B330-RX 253 yards

The reduced side spin numbers can it a more penetrating ball flight on the monitor.

I used the ball today, but it was so windy I couldn't give a good evaluation of it on the course.

I compared the B330 RX head-to-head with my usual ball which is the Cally HX Tour. I have a 95-97 mph swing speed with driver so I thought the Bridgestone would be right up my alley as it is advertised as a tour performance ball for amateur swing speeds.

The first thing that surprised me was that I found the ball to be a little clicky on the putting green. I was expecting it to be on the soft side but the cover feels firmer than anticipated. Compared to my regular ball, the B330 RX was a touch shorter from the tee, similar distance and spin on long approaches, but noticeably less spin on short pitches and chips.

In the final analysis, I was disappointed with the B330 RX, particularly because of how poorly it performed for me around the greens. Chips and pitches that would normally drop and stop skidded past the hole. I would rate this ball as average compared to all balls but below average compared to balls in its price range.

I played this ball yesterday and was pleasantly surprised. Soft feel with all clubs, and a little extra yardage compared to the ProV1x I usually play. 15+ yards on the driver and about a 1/2 to 1 club on the irons. It rolled off the back of the green on 5 or 6 holes with long iron approaches to rear pins. Not sure if it is the extra distance or less check spin with longer irons. Felt very good off chips and the putter. Wedge and short iron approaches flew higher than the ProV1x and stopped on a dime. Cover is kind of soft and scuffed a little with the wedges.

I got a check go ball spinner last year. At least one or two out of a dozen ProV's wobble badly before spinning out (I give those away). I only spun 3 of the RX's, but they smoothed out quickly with no wobble at all.

All in all, I liked it. Extra distance, higher trajectory on short irons and wedges, soft feel around the greens... what's not to like?

Bought a dozen of these balls. What a waste of money!

Not worth the price at all. Gave away 1/2 dozen to my kid's.

All Hype, no results!

All hype is very true for me. I like the B330-S but this RX ball has surley got to be a joke on the public. You can buy balls like these all day long for one third of the price of the RX. If you like this ball save your money and buy D2 Topflite balls or something like them.

• 2 weeks later...

I usually play the B330-S, sometimes the U-tri Tour because they are cheap. I tried the RX for two rounds. It is longer than the precept by far. If it is "pured" you will fly your target by at least a club over the 330S and well beyond the U-Tri. It feels harder than the B330S even though it is supposed to be a "softer" ball more like the B330. It goes further than the 330S but not by much. I played one round in the wind with it and it performed well, though I could not get it to check up like the B330S especially on Wedge shots. Played alot of 3rd shots from the back of the green or just off. It scuffs like a B330. All in all it is a good ball, but overpriced because it is not significantly different than its two siblings and offers the shortcomings of both but advantages over neither. It's like a marketing gimmick (miracle of loaves and fishes) if you like either the B330 or B330s you will probably wonder why there is an RX. For a non-tour player why would you spend as much money for a "non-tour" ball, when you can play what the pros play for the same price. Compared to other balls, i.e. Titleist and Callaway it is really not a competitor to the ProV1 or the Callaway Tour iX (sic). If you are looking for a cheaper replacement for those balls, this is not it. I have to say the 330S is the more like the ProV1 (not the X) and usually less expensive and superior for the price to the Callaway ball. I am hardly ever surprised by the 330S, good or bad. The RX had a couple of startling moments for me. Especially on scoring shots (irons) where surprises are least desired. Bad surprise! Driver (long) Good Surprise!

The Chile Guy

Compared to other balls, i.e. Titleist and Callaway it is really not a competitor to the ProV1 or the Callaway Tour iX (sic). If you are looking for a cheaper replacement for those balls, this is not it. I have to say the 330S is the more like the ProV1 (not the X) and usually less expensive and superior for the price to the Callaway ball. I am hardly ever surprised by the 330S, good or bad. The RX had a couple of startling moments for me. Especially on scoring shots (irons) where surprises are least desired. Bad surprise! Driver (long) Good Surprise!

Disagree -- No, the RX is not equivalent to the Tour iX -- the Tour i is more likely its competitor. For me, the RX feels very soft off the irons and woods in comparison to the 330-S. In actual play, I haven't had issues stopping the RX ball around the greens on partials during an actual round. But then, the RX is made for guys like me whose SS is 95 and under. I don't quite understand the "check" issue since the ball is urethane and on the core and mantle -- you'd think -- they'd be softer with the RX.

Agree - I think the price ought to be in the $36 range -- give the guys a break who can't hit that pellet more than 95mph. lol.

Testing out the Tour i, RX and ZStar against each other -- ZStar seems firmer to me are first impressions.

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi Golf Shaft @45 in. (coming soon)
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18/ TPT Golf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H/TPT Golf
  • Ping i230 5-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 or Ping Glide Forged Pro, Both with Nippon 105 
  • Putter:  LAB DF3 TPT Shaft (waiting)
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions