2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Better have game to back up your style

it's been my experience that people who complain about attire or clubs either: a) don't like people walking on their lawn, 2) can't afford it, c) are so miserable in their own lives that they feel the need to try and bring other people down... misery does love company and some people need a lot of company.

Ping G400 Max AD IZ 6s
2016 TI M2 HL AD IZ 7s
M2 4h AD DI 8s
Ping G400 5hy ADDI 9s
718 TMB 6-Gap Modus 130s
Scratch 53 Modus 125
Scratch 57 Modus 125
PXG 03x 60* Modus 125

Scotty Cameron Custom 009 HHH

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/982109-joes-witb-set-for-2014-update-2015/#entry10682349"]WITB Link[/url]

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I enjoy wearing pink (lost my mother to breast cancer), some guys that I play with give me a bit of a hard time at first:

--"Wow Pink ok"

--"nice shirt"

The at the end of the round and they are paying for lunch, I just tell them it was the pink shirt...then I really explain to them why I wear them (not all the time), they turn around and apologize, I tell them they don't need to, just don't judge anyone due to their attire...

DRIVER: Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5*, Ventus TR Blue 6TX at 45"
3 WOOD: Callaway Paradym HL 16.5*, Diamana Flower Band White, D+ 82X Flex, tipped 1" at 42"
7 WOOD: Callaway Paradym 21*, Tensei AV white 75g S Flex, tipped 1" at 41"

IRONS: Callaway Apex MB 7-10, CB 4-6 -- DG TI S400

WEDGES: Callaway JAWS Raw 50, 54, 58 -- DG TI S400
PUTTER: SC Phantom 5, Stability Shaft, 33.25", Garsen Quad Tour grip (Toulon Chicago as back up)
BALL: Callaway CT X (current gamer), Srixon Diamond, -ProV1X and ProV1

There were a few foursomes backed up on the first tee the other day and we were playing behind a foursome where each of the golfers were dressed with either Titleist or Callaway hats shirts dress pants and shoes, and the first thing that crossed my mind was these guys look like they have played golf for quite a while and we're pretty good. Watching them tee off was a contradiction to the way they were dressed, duffing their shots off the tee. To me they looked nicely dressed and I appreciated it, but sometimes the way people are dressed contradicts they're playing ability and their personality.

As if it matters though, as long as your clothes fit you and you are having fun it doesn't matter what you wear. I'm a strong believer in holding etiquette rules as well. Whether your head to toe in Nike looking like Rory or head to toe in UA like Jordan, as long as you are enjoying the game it shouldn't matter how much time or money you spend on clothes, these threads always start negativity.

People can be insecure. some men dress down on the course--they have one pair of pants they wear, one pair of shoes (which they don't take care of), and seeing someone who looks good makes them insecure. So the default is "i'm better at golf than you". It can make them feel better about themselves.

your assumption (with no basis for the statement) is as bad as the golfers who assume dressing nice is a poser move.

Ha ha re-reading my post that's what it sounded like. Was only offering an attempt at answer to OP's question " Someone wears something bold or has decent style and they're either a "tour poser" or they "better have the game to back it up". Since when did someone's choice in golf attire have a handicap requirement?" not stating a personal belief or a Universal Truth.

To each his/her own obviously. It's 2016.

M6 10.5
M4 3W
Titleist 816h 21
CF19 5-AW
SM6 54 & Cally PM 60
Byron Morgan 612
V1X/ERC Soft

I'm pretty likely to be the guy that gets made fun of - but I'm enjoying myself immensely and have a deep respect for the game. So I don't see how it effects anyone else if I want to wear nice clothes and play expensive new gear.

Yes i have a staff bag (Nope not a pro)

Yes I have shiny new blades (Nope not a scratch golfer)

Yes I have a Scotty Cameron (Nope don't care if u think I overpaid)

Yes I wear bright colors (Nope not an attention seeker)

Yes I wear Nike/UA/Adidas (Nope I'm not pro-staff)

Yes I play almost all Taylormade (No they don't pay me to)

Yes I wear a flat bill (No I'm not modern or hip or disrespectful)

Bottom line, don't be judgmental and just enjoy the game. Stop caring so incredibly much about everyone around you.

I played at a private club two nights ago. I pulled up, put my golf shoes on, popped the trunk and grabbed my bag. I was wearing new Adidas Tour 360 boosts, grey golf shorts, a bright pink golf shirt, white belt, a Taylormade new era flatbill, and oakley's - carrying my big staff bag - and you literally would've thought I had a parrot on each shoulder the way the "regulars/members" were looking at me.

Get over it - not everyones gonna wear pleated slacks, ugly old footjoys, a baggy polo your wife bought you on vacation, and a titleist curved hat. The game is evolving and becoming more appealing to a younger crowd, which is awesome.

I'm not a personal fan of the flash colors and patterns on a lot of the newer golf attire, but I have grown to not give a crap about what people wear. Now unless the course specifically states a certain dress code, and you go against it for whatever reason but get pissed when someone calls you out on it, I won't have a problem with you. More than anything, I just wish golfers would get clothes that actually fit. If you are 280lbs, you don't wear a large, or probably even an XL for that matter. And don't wear skinny pants either unless you are built like DJ or someone equally as lanky and/or cut. It just looks silly.

TSi2 10* w/ Trono 65x set at C1

TSi2 16.5* w/ Trono 75x set at C1

TSi2 18* w/ GD Tour AD BB 7s set at C1

VEGA VDC-01 Raw 4-P w/ Modus 120S

Edel SMS 52 T Grind

Edel SMS 56 T Grind

Edel SMS 60 T Grind

LAB DF 2.1 w/ Stability Shaft

Bridgestone Tour BXS

I'm pretty likely to be the guy that gets made fun of - but I'm enjoying myself immensely and have a deep respect for the game. So I don't see how it effects anyone else if I want to wear nice clothes and play expensive new gear.

Bottom line, don't be judgmental and just enjoy the game. Stop caring so incredibly much about everyone around you.

I played at a private club two nights ago. I pulled up, put my golf shoes on, popped the trunk and grabbed my bag. I was wearing new Adidas Tour 360 boosts, grey golf shorts, a bright pink golf shirt, white belt, a Taylormade new era flatbill, and oakley's - carrying my big staff bag - and you literally would've thought I had a parrot on each shoulder the way the "regulars/members" were looking at me.

Get over it - not everyones gonna wear pleated slacks, ugly old footjoys, a baggy polo your wife bought you on vacation, and a titleist curved hat. The game is evolving and becoming more appealing to a younger crowd, which is awesome.

So long as you don't judge others on what they wear. Including *gasp* jeans or cargos.

So long as you don't judge others on what they wear. Including *gasp* jeans or cargos.

Is it "judging" if I am of the "I don't care what someone else wears...but I'd probably not wear ___ myself" camp?

I'm not much for bright colors or flat hats, but...I've got bigger things to worry about than someone wearing cargo shorts, a highlighter yellow shirt, and a flat hat.

For example, I have to worry about "do I want to grill a steak after this round, or make a pizza? Or I could have chicken. Hmm there's always a dinner salad...and of course what will I wash it down with? So many choices!" Important stuff. Clothing...not so much.

Is it "judging" if I am of the "I don't care what someone else wears...but I'd probably not wear ___ myself" camp?

I'm not much for bright colors or flat hats, but...I've got bigger things to worry about than someone wearing cargo shorts, a highlighter yellow shirt, and a flat hat.

For example, I have to worry about "do I want to grill a steak after this round, or make a pizza? Or I could have chicken. Hmm there's always a dinner salad...and of course what will I wash it down with? So many choices!" Important stuff. Clothing...not so much.

No that's not judging.

No that's not judging.

Dag nabbit....oh well, I tried.

Sort of.

Okay not really.

Mmmmm steak.