Does weight lifting have a bad affect on your swin

Whenever i start to lift for mpre distance and to look more fit, my swing always leaves me. I guess its because my muscles arent used to feeling that way, but i hit tons of bad shots during the times i lift. I strecth alot, and follow a good routine, but the nasty swings always come. Does your swing change when you lift, or do you only lift in the winter months when you can't play?

Comments

• TigerStrongTigerStrong Ack...Ack...Go Mr. McIver Banned Posts: 2,894
    Weight lifting is great for your golf swing. Thats the best thing for your swing but you have to know when to do it. If you have a match or you are playing don't lift that morning. Lift after you play or lift when you know you are not going to play. Be smart about it. Lift in the evening so your muscles can rebiuld for the next 12 hours. You should be ready to go by the next morning. image/bb.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':tongue:' />
    Nike VR Limited 10.5 BlueBoard 83x
    Nike VR Limited 15* BlueBoard 83x
    Adams Pro 21* Fubuki AX 82x
    Adams XTD Forged 4-Pw DG
    Titleist Vokey 50* 55* 60* TI DG
    Scotty Cameron 009 33 Inch
  • GooseGoose Junior Mod Squad Posts: 1,270 ✭✭
    Its great for you and your swing AS LONG AS YOU DO IT PROPERLY!!!!!! I am pretty much done playing probly as of this weekend....more than once a week bc of the waeather...so i started my exercise and fitness routine as of last week. I have been swinging to keep the feel as i work out... ill also hit balls into nets to keep my swing. Make sure you do low weight and high reps....thats the key and lots of cardio....yesterday i did a fitness test where you run/jog and the the treadmill speeds up til ur almost at a sprint, you maintain at that speed for a little while then it drops back down to a run/jog......i did 5 miles...then i rode the bike for 8 more miles.......it was my BIG Cardio day...LOL image/drinks.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':tongue:' />

Dan image/drinks.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':help:' />
    PXG 0811X 10* w/ Tensei Blue 70TX<br />PXG 0341X 15* w/ Tensei Blue 70TX<br />PXG 0317 19* w/ Tensei Blue 80X<br />PXG 0311T 4-W w/ Nippon Modus 130X<br />PXG 0311 50*,55*,60* w/ Modus 130X<br />Scotty Cameron Circle T Newport 2
  • ScottWS33ScottWS33 Up and down for par Jr. Boomers Posts: 1,379
    I try coupling it with stretches so to keep the muscles supple.
    Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 9° (set to 10°) w/ Speeder 565 Stiff
    Titleist 910F 17° (set to 16.25°) w/ MFT Kai'li 75 Stiff
    Titleist 913H 21° (set to 20.25°) w/ Diamana S+ 82HY Stiff
    Titleist AP2 4-9 w/ XP 95 S300
    Vokey SM4 46°, 52°, 56°, 60°
    Scotty Cameron GoLo S 34"
    progolfer33 wrote on Nov 22 2005, 04:50 PM:
    I try coupling it with stretches so to keep the muscles supple.
    »

Of course... i was just too lazy to go into details...ill do it when im not as tired...LOL im soo lazy
    PXG 0811X 10* w/ Tensei Blue 70TX<br />PXG 0341X 15* w/ Tensei Blue 70TX<br />PXG 0317 19* w/ Tensei Blue 80X<br />PXG 0311T 4-W w/ Nippon Modus 130X<br />PXG 0311 50*,55*,60* w/ Modus 130X<br />Scotty Cameron Circle T Newport 2
  • golfer_juniorgolfer_junior Members Posts: 1,152
    I do somewhat heavy lifting. I try to Max out in all my lifts for a while, then I go to high rep low weight, then I go back to maxing out. Takes me about 20 mins to complete upper body. As for lower body, I do squats same routine as upper. I naturally am core strong. I have had somewhat of a six pack for as long as I can remember so I can't really comment on core exercises. My shoulders are also about 4" wider than the average person's at 6' 1" which really helps in the swing but I can't help you with that. My weak spot is the lower back, I fell on my head in 5th grade from about 15' and lost 2 inches in height due to my spine swaying inwards more than normal. I do streches for that.
  • simmoboysimmoboy Members Posts: 777
    edited Nov 27, 2005 #7
    The best thing i have found is do small weights with high reps aswell as lots of cardio work. Swimming is a great way to build your upper body witout putting yourself through weight training. Other things that i have found work are rowing machines where you can change the resistance and getting those little pink and purple weights that only weigh a couple of kilo and take them on the treadmill with you and just run with them in your hand. The most important thing to remember is not to do the same work out 2 days in a row, always give your muscles atleast 24 to 36 hours rest.

If you were really serious i would go get a personal trainer and get him to give you a program to do.
    simmoboy wrote on Nov 27 2005, 05:37 AM:
    The best thing i have found is do small weights with high reps aswell as lots of cardio work. Swimming is a great way to build your upper body witout putting yourself through weight training. Other things that i have found work are rowing machines where you can change the resistance and getting those little pink and purple weights that only weigh a couple of kilo and take them on the treadmill with you and just run with them in your hand. The most important thing to remember is not to do the same work out 2 days in a row, always give your muscles atleast 24 to 36 hours rest.

If you were really serious i would go get a personal trainer and get him to give you a program to do.
    »

Simmo, i cudnt have said it any better, thats exactly what i did, i went over to my Gym and talked to the trainers and now i have an extremely dreative personal trainer who has helped me build a program, we built a weight training program, cardio, and nutrition. It very sound and solid. i am starting my new program this week.

DaN "goose"

image/drinks.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':tongue:' />
  • littleprov1xlittleprov1x Members Posts: 1,050 ClubWRX
    Goose has got it right. Low weight and high reps. Go for the power effect and you'll be sorry when you get on the course; your muscles get all tight and it becomes difficult to feel your swing. Definitely stretch often using those stretchy rubber band things and do lots of cardio. Try to balance the golf and wroking out, as someone mentioned, and never work out the day before a big match or tourney.
    Goose wrote on Nov 28 2005, 12:26 AM:
    simmoboy wrote on Nov 27 2005, 05:37 AM:

»

Simmo, i cudnt have said it any better, thats exactly what i did, i went over to my Gym and talked to the trainers and now i have an extremely dreative personal trainer who has helped me build a program, we built a weight training program, cardio, and nutrition. It very sound and solid. i am starting my new program this week.

DaN "goose"

image/drinks.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':tongue:' />
    »

Yer goose did the right thing, i just got my new program this week because i injured my back he gave me heaps of exercises to do so my back dosnt get tight during my round. Most gym's should give a free program for any member if not just go ask a trainer and they will proberly give you one in exchange for you buying there lunch or something like that. If you can get a friend to come with you aswell so you can keep each other motivated becuase the gym can get lonely when your buy your self.

cheers, brent
  • cjdrcccjdrcc Jr. Boomers Posts: 543
    edited Nov 28, 2005 #11
    I thinks that the benefits outweigh the dangers. I use a scale of 10 yards of distance gained for every 25 lbs added to your total.(total = max bench + max squat + double you max power clean)
    cjdrcc wrote on Nov 28 2005, 03:48 PM:
    I thinks that the benefits outweigh the dangers. I use a scale of 10 yards of distance gained for every 25 lbs added to your total.(total = max bench + max squat + double you max power clean)
    »

I know my reasons for working out is not for distance. I am quite long already...not that any additional distance would hurt but i am doing it for my health, stamina, future. My goal is to earn a college golf scholarship at the D1 level. You can never hurt yourself by being in better shape. AS LONG AS YOU DO IT PROPERLY!!!!! just as i am working with a trainer and monitoring youself.

DaN "goose" image/drinks.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':tongue:' />
    Goose wrote on Nov 29 2005, 09:03 AM:
    »

I know my reasons for working out is not for distance. I am quite long already...not that any additional distance would hurt but i am doing it for my health, stamina, future. My goal is to earn a college golf scholarship at the D1 level. You can never hurt yourself by being in better shape. AS LONG AS YOU DO IT PROPERLY!!!!! just as i am working with a trainer and monitoring youself.

»

Working out isnt just about distance becuase if you are in top physical condition your core muscles are usually stronger which will give you better balance aswell as more accurate shots. Being fit will also help your mental game cause as soon as your body gets tired your mind will start to wonder and you wont be able to concentrate as well.

Brent
    simmoboy wrote on Nov 28 2005, 08:21 PM:
    Goose wrote on Nov 29 2005, 09:03 AM:
    »

»

Working out isnt just about distance becuase if you are in top physical condition your core muscles are usually stronger which will give you better balance aswell as more accurate shots. Being fit will also help your mental game cause as soon as your body gets tired your mind will start to wonder and you wont be able to concentrate as well.

Brent
    »

EXACTLY!!!!!!! MIND AND BODY MY FRIEND MIND AND BODY!!!!!
  • nuffy12nuffy12 Jr. Boomers Posts: 150
    i dont do weights but ive got a powerball which works nice. Got it for £17.99 off play.com but imsure youd be able to get it somewhere in us. It is a gyroscope thing which works all the muscles in your arms. And i do like stretches before every round.

http://www.powerballs.com/

powerballs.jpg
  • KingOAcesKingOAces Jr. Boomers Posts: 739
    In moderation is fine, but streaching is the key.

KinG
  • LegacyUserLegacyUser Guests Posts: 0
    edited Feb 24, 2006 #17
    I had the same dilema last year, but if u swing with a weighted club in addition to lifting weights it doesnt hurt. As stated before swimming is a excelent way to get in great shape and build good endurance so u wont get tired walking the course twice a day. I joined the swim team (and yes my legs are shaved) (sections yesterday) but anyways it has done wonders for my swing. ALso do alot of body exercise ex sit ups pushups and other things of that sort
  • birdman72birdman72 Members Posts: 444 ✭✭
    I lift 3-4 times a week focusing mainly on the abs, back and legs. I also do about 30 minutes of cardio on each of those days. Like others have said high reps and low weight is the way to go, especially with any upper body lifting. I found that I not only have added distance since I started lifting, but it has also helped me with hitting balls out of the rough.
  • Jer-JerJer-Jer Members Posts: 2,924
    I was just lifting weights and doing crunches. Low weight high reps. Will that mess me up tomorrow golfing? It will be around 14 hours by tomorrow. Enough or no?
  • golfreak1golfreak1 Members Posts: 23
    If you are lifting weights to get stronger than the low wieght high rep theory is pointless. People say that they do low weight high reps because they dont want to get "too big" when in reality they probably couldnt get too big from lifting even if they try.
  • sebastiansebastian Banned Posts: 123
    I lift because I need to gain weight. I am 5'9 and weigh about 125 pounds. (Went up from 115 over the winter because of lifting weights). People like me need to gain weight to inrcease driving length. Even super skinny Charles Howell III is still way heavier than me. Need to keep working hard.
  • kblakeney35kblakeney35 Jr. Boomers Posts: 937
    I lift because I am pretty much being forced to by the football coach. Not even low weight, high reps. He makes me do core lifts at 4 sets of 5 reps. I know everyone probably thinks this will ruin my swing. But it has actually made it much more controlled. I am starting to stretch before and after lifting to keep me loose, and once the weather warms up I will do some jogging as well(If I can brag once after all the posts I've had, ok, I will, Conference champ 800 runner 2 yrs ago image/cool.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':kewlpics:' /> )
  • GolfdogGolfdog Members Posts: 701
    There are two ways that fitness helps your golf swing. The first is to have core strength, which positively effects your balance and your ability to put the clubhead on the ball. The second is to have muscular speed--fitness of the fast-twitch muscle fiber. If you just workout for muscle strength through slow-speed workouts (standard lifts, etc), you can actually make yourself stronger and slower. However you can workout for speed as well strength and gain swing speed. You do this by working swing specific muscles at high speed--i.e. speeds that are higher than your golf swing.

Some golfers are born with higher amounts of fast twitch muscles. this is how very slight guys like CHIII can hit the ball a mile.
  • Hey Guys, here is an excellent article on junior golfers training from William Healy, who is the IJGA Director of Fitness, and currently trains over 150 golfers each day including PGA, LPGA,Nationwide players, and the US Junior Champion

http://www.golffitnessproducts.net/trainin...ior-golfer.html

He has other articles on the junior golfer training on the site. Read them!! I am a trainer and there is a lot of false info out there, including this post. GolfFreak1 hit the nail on the head. You're wasting you time with low eight, high reps. Golf is a power sport, train like an athlete, that's what you ar.

Anthony