Left hand low commitment

C_rad

OK, we all have done it. Trying to find the perfect putter grip to make every single putt like magic.

Ive putt all my short life of 28 years with a conventional grip. Never been a great putter, but on lag putt, i was hard to beat.

Last fall, i dedicate myself to the putting part and did a full fitting to know my specs, and contract lajosi to build the perfect flat stick. Also i found out that i was using a too small putter grip (ping black) and found better results with a superstroke slimfit 2.0.

Received my putter in february and dedicate my self to try the left hand low ( we all done it after the spieth domination last year on the green). What i found is that i have a more control backswing and follow through. The putt were on line when i was praticing on my birdie ball putting foam.

The season started a month ago with unperfect green and even if i was strugling with distance control, i really stand by the left hand low.

But heres the dilemma.

When i putt with a conventional grip, i ALWAYS found the sweet spot and my distance is better than average considering the short season so far. But the backswing tempo is not perfect and teh putt dont always start on the intended line cause of the backswing. When i putt LHL, the swing tempo is awesome and controlled. The putt start on the line and find the hole more often. But i have lost the TOUCH. My distance are off. Sometimes i have a 6 foot, and i end up benn 6 foot past the hole.

For those who have tried different putting style, when or where you knew it was the right one? Im comfortable with both and having a hard time commit to one because each has his downside.

Thank you for any advice, past experience or tips you would like to share.

Have a great season

MAT.

Titleist 915 d2
Titleist 917 f2 18*

PIng i25 hybrid 22* pwr 90

[u]project x L.Z 5.5[/u]:
Bridgestone J15 cb 5-pw
Nike engage 52 square,
56 toe sweep
60 dual sole

Lajosi Dd201

A dream bag

I just recently switched to left hand low on any putts with minimal/marginal break inside ~20ft. For me, it is hard to hit a putt off line with this grip, but distance control suffers. For that reason, I stick with my regular grip for longer putts or significant breakers. It is working out great so far.

Callaway Epic 10.5
Cobra biocell+ 3-4 Wood 14.5
Mizuno MP-H5 2 Iron
Mizuno MP 54 4-PW
Callaway MD2 Tour Grind 52 and 54
Callaway MD2 PM Grind 60
Byron Morgan DH89

If I am within "roll" distance LHL, if I have to "hit" the putt, use a conventional grip. The main thing with this is to trust both, and not try and venture to the other stroke just because you feel like you are rolling it good.

I have stayed solid with this so far this season, putting is improving.

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

TSR3 24 AV Blue X-Link 75
T150 6-G PX LZ
SM9 52/12/F-56/10/S TI S200 
Toulon Portland Garage 
ProV1x

I did the exact same thing last year. I could feel the distance well with a conventional grip but wasn't finding the hole as much. I gave the LHL a try and found the same things as you - putts started on line and my tempo was good but my distance control was $#!t. I just kept working at it. It became natural and everything started to click. I am putting better than I ever have. Now, when I grab a putter, my hands automatically go LHL. Like anything new, it just takes time and practice to get comfortable.

• Like 1

SiM2 Max  9°  Fujikura Ventus 6
TS2  15°  GD Tour AD VR-7

testing 5/7 woods🤔🤷‍♀️
818H2  21°  GD Tour AD IZ-85
0311T  4i / Z745  5-9  Nippon 950GH 
SM7 46F 52F 58D  DG 115
SM7 62M  KBS Tour
putter, KBS CT Tour, Pro Only *
(¬¬)

I use to push all my putts. Which initiated me to switch

I found similar results with left hand low, in my short term test. But my line was better like yours.

More practice and concentration in how much you rock your shoulders should start to fix that.

Recently switched to a claw grip and it has fixed both except now I sometimes pull which I never ever did with traditional. Which I'm fine with.

Besides a acassional pull , long long distance control is my only issue . Which proably won't matter unless I play slow a** greens and hit far end of green.

For this I may experiment with doing a traditional grip only for them. Unless claw comes around.

In my opinion, distance control is nothing but practice with the same putter so that you develop the feel you need to get the speed right.

I was 2.3 putt per hole average with conventional grip and had no desire to change anything until I tried LHL on a whim. Of course it felt awkward but the roll of the ball alone sold me immediately. Like you mentioned, a great addition to LHL is a controlled backswing and a putt that starts online every time. I started making other changes in my full swing about the same time and spent 4 weeks practicing before I played my first round LHL and by that time I was completely comfortable with it on the course.

If you're still looking for a putter grip, try the SS Pistol GT in the diameter you like. I found the extra fill in the top hand and no taper in the bottom to be the unicorn grip I've been looking for.

I have 16 rounds in since going LHL and my putts per hole average is now 1.86. Stick with it, it's the truth! Jack and Tiger have said if they could go back and change anything, they would go LHL.

When I initially switched to LHL, I found that I put a little "hit" into my putts. Just a tad bit of wrist action would throw my distance control to hell. Keeping the hands quiet was my key. I use a double interlock LHL grip. works for me. commit, and the feel will return.

I felt really good about that shot....
Until I hit it.

I went to left hand low, and made the commitment to be the best putter in the world inside 5 feet. I say that because that's the way I think, it may not be true, but it's the way I think. If you can make every putt from 5 feet and in, you can have that lack of distance control on the longer ones. It's a bit of give and take with the left hand low, but practicing 5 footers religiously has really helped me.

I'd say it's 75% of my putting practice, and the other 25% are putts of length. Just a thought, but I've found it's helped me a lot.

Rogue ST TD 10.5 Diamana ZF 60TX

Sim2 Max AD-DI 7x 15°
SIM2 Max AD-DI 8x
Apex ‘19 ..L Raw 4-W AMT S400
Fourteen RM-4 50-54-60 TI S400
Versa 1W

Great share so far. I was praticing today in the basement and what i found is the lhl is really more reliable for me. For me, the conventional give me more often sweet spot strike but every is like a "feeling" putt. And the lhl is more mechanical. I know if my backswing is on a good tempo and i release the putter smoothly, the putt feel automatic. Like i just have the let the line conduct the ball to the hole.

Titleist 915 d2
Titleist 917 f2 18*

Bridgestone J15 cb 5-pw
Nike engage 52 square,
56 toe sweep
60 dual sole

Lajosi Dd201

A dream bag

I stumbled into LHL by mistake 4-5 years ago, thinking I was trying a "reverse overlap". Oops. And yeah, long putts felt the most awkward at first. But I stuck with it and figured out little ways of measuring my tempo and backswing length to control distance. I practice at home with a metronome at 60, 80 & 100 bpm, and ladder drills on the putting green in increments of 2-15 ft.

So I'd encourage you to stick with a single grip, LHL or not.

Spring 2024

Callaway Mavrik Max 1W 10.5° HZRDUS Smoke 60

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 3W 15° HZRDUS Smoke 70

Cobra LTDx LS 5W 17.5° HZRDUS Smoke 70

Cobra LTDx 4Hy 21° HZRDUS Smoke 80

Srixon ZU85 4U 23° / Z585 6i-7i / Z785 8i-AW

Cleveland RTX Zipcore 56° 60°
SeeMore Mini Giant DF / Piretti Teramo / MannKrafted MA99 Proto

https://www.golfwrx.com/660122/witb-golfwrx-members-edition-jbrunk/

I have putted LHL for 20 years,,long before it became popular as it is today. I can tell all of you trying this that the backstroke is INITIALLY started by pushing back with the left hand but then the stroke is dominated BY THE RIGHT HAND. I learned this about 10 years ago by hearing Tiger say his distance control was always with the right hand . Even though his grip is conventional, he is correct for both styles. Since this discovery I have become an exceptional putter. In short I will say that after the initial take-a-way push with the left, the right hand should dominate. The other thing I will add is that all putts with this style outside of 3-4 ft you need to feel you are "pushing" the ball,,not "tapping" it. Inside of 4 feet you should have a soft "tap" to the ball. You will find that short, medium and long putts feel consistent and both your line, sweet spot and distance control will be good,,but of course you must practice. Hope this helps. WARNING! This will not help you read the line,,LOL.

Making more than ever since going LHL. Also made my putter a little more upright.

Saving an average of 1.5 putts per round. Now averaging 30 putts per round. Before it was close to 32.

I'm making a lot more 5-10 footers and am able to get the ball on line consistently.

Seems to make keeping the back of my Left hand moving toward the target easier.

Rogue ST Max LS Oban Devotion 6/03 10.5, -1* @45.25" 

Paradym 3HL  Kai’li 60 R
Ping G410 19*,  22* & 26* Riptide CB 80 5.5
Srixon ZX5 MKII 6-AW, SF i80cw R,  Or Cobra Forged Tec Black 6-GW, SF i95cw R   
PM Grind 2.0 54 and 58

Bettinardi Innovai Rev 6.0  33” 

E.R.C. Soft TT/ Chrome Soft TT / TM Tour Response '20

I have putted LHL for 20 years,,long before it became popular as it is today. I can tell all of you trying this that the backstroke is INITIALLY started by pushing back with the left hand but then the stroke is dominated BY THE RIGHT HAND. I learned this about 10 years ago by hearing Tiger say his distance control was always with the right hand . Even though his grip is conventional, he is correct for both styles. Since this discovery I have become an exceptional putter. In short I will say that after the initial take-a-way push with the left, the right hand should dominate. The other thing I will add is that all putts with this style outside of 3-4 ft you need to feel you are "pushing" the ball,,not "tapping" it. Inside of 4 feet you should have a soft "tap" to the ball. You will find that short, medium and long putts feel consistent and both your line, sweet spot and distance control will be good,,but of course you must practice. Hope this helps. WARNING! This will not help you read the line,,LOL.

This is exactly what i found during this past week pratices sessions. I initiate the backswing by applying preesure with the left hand low and when i initiate the stroke, my right hand take the lead. I found better distance control with this technique. Also, i found that if i stand farther from teh ball in my stance ( almost where i play my 4 iron ) it forces me the ``push`` the ball on a straight line.

Titleist 915 d2
Titleist 917 f2 18*

Bridgestone J15 cb 5-pw
Nike engage 52 square,
56 toe sweep
60 dual sole

Lajosi Dd201

A dream bag

Ive had the same issue as you with left hand low. It is straight as an arrow but distance control is bad. I have going to a method where if I think a putt is very speed dependent I putt traditional. When I believe I just need to bang one in on line I go left hand low. It may seem like alot of change but the more you do it the more you become comfortable deciding which way to put which and you have confidence. Generally the longer the putt the more likely I am to go traditional.

If you have been using the conventional style lhl takes getting used to. Awkward at first but over time it will become habit. Technique is some thing you will have to experiment with over time. I have kept records on my putting stats over a decade and my distance control has improved to a point were I don't panic if I'm twenty feet from the cup. ( thats how I earned the name twoputttom)

Srixon ZX5  TT dynamic gold 95  PING G425 FST 43.25"  Tour Edge 721 Tensei blue 65  Mizuno T22 56* 60*  Bobby Grace AMG 6313 35"

I have also changed to LHL on putts under 10 feet. I have a tendency to pull everything when I get close. I use my regular grip for any long putts, as mentioned above, the distance control is better for me. One thing I did notice is that it changed my stroke to where it's not quite SBST any longer and a plumbers neck putter works great now vs the face balanced putter I currently have.

If you have been using the conventional style lhl takes getting used to. Awkward at first but over time it will become habit. Technique is some thing you will have to experiment with over time. I have kept records on my putting stats over a decade and my distance control has improved to a point were I don't panic if I'm twenty feet from the cup. ( thats how I earned the name twoputttom)
and you putt lhl?

Titleist 915 d2
Titleist 917 f2 18*

Bridgestone J15 cb 5-pw
Nike engage 52 square,
56 toe sweep
60 dual sole

Lajosi Dd201

A dream bag

and you putt lhl?

Pert near five year.

Srixon ZX5  TT dynamic gold 95  PING G425 FST 43.25"  Tour Edge 721 Tensei blue 65  Mizuno T22 56* 60*  Bobby Grace AMG 6313 35"

curious to hear how putter specs have changed for those who have gone from conventional to lhl.

I saw Lionstar mention his lie flattened; how about length, loft, offset, shaft axis point and weight?

when i was conventional, the lie was was 68 now it is 70. Went from 5 degree loft to 3 degree. Same length, same offset and same weight.

Titleist 915 d2
Titleist 917 f2 18*

Bridgestone J15 cb 5-pw
Nike engage 52 square,
56 toe sweep
60 dual sole

Lajosi Dd201

A dream bag

curious to hear how putter specs have changed for those who have gone from conventional to lhl.

I saw Lionstar mention his lie flattened; how about length, loft, offset, shaft axis point and weight?

I went from 70* lie to 69* lie, stayed at 34" 350g. I can use a 35" 340g,

Currently using plumbers neck. MXM Versa #1, or a Cameron Select Newport.

Using the Super Stroke flatso 1.0

After watching Spieth hole everything last year I figured I'd give LHL a shot. First time out shot 77 w/ 27 putts

Rogue ST Max LS Oban Devotion 6/03 10.5, -1* @45.25" 

Paradym 3HL  Kai’li 60 R
Ping G410 19*,  22* & 26* Riptide CB 80 5.5
Srixon ZX5 MKII 6-AW, SF i80cw R,  Or Cobra Forged Tec Black 6-GW, SF i95cw R   
PM Grind 2.0 54 and 58

Bettinardi Innovai Rev 6.0  33” 

E.R.C. Soft TT/ Chrome Soft TT / TM Tour Response '20

For me, the only difference has been length but even that is pretty minor. I used to use a 35" and grip it all the way at the top of the grip. Now I grip it farther down so I sometimes try out 34" putters in the store. Offset hasn't changed at all either. I still can't use a no offset or center shaft putter or one with too much offset. Seemores and the Bett Inovai 3.0 CS are the oddities though. Both of those work for me now but they aren't center shaft. A full shaft offset is the max for me and half shaft is right at perfect. It's basically no difference.

SiM2 Max  9°  Fujikura Ventus 6
TS2  15°  GD Tour AD VR-7

testing 5/7 woods🤔🤷‍♀️
818H2  21°  GD Tour AD IZ-85
0311T  4i / Z745  5-9  Nippon 950GH 
SM7 46F 52F 58D  DG 115
SM7 62M  KBS Tour
putter, KBS CT Tour, Pro Only *
(¬¬)

speed (i.e distance control) comes from finding your natural ryhthm and just letting the length of the backstroke dictate the length of the putt. Hitting the sweetspot is also important for consistent energy transfer from putter head to ball.

LHL should provide a more consistent radius and immobilizes the RH to put the shoulders more in control...which may help hit the sweetspot a higher percentage of the time.

Hope this helps

M60

I switched to lhl on the suggestion from a family friend when I was 3 years into the game. This was probably 18ish years ago and I was really struggling with distance control on long putts.

Switching felt awkward for a week or less. It felt like my left hand was blocking my stroke on longer putts. But then I realized to think push back with left, push through with the right (as mentioned early).

The feeling quickly became that my left hand is almost "dead" coming through the ball. It does nothing more than stabilize the putter and keep my tempo in check. At least that's how the lhl makes sense in my mind.

Now if anything I have a tendency to leave long putts a bit short. But I'd rather do that than blow by the hole which is what happens if I switch from lhl.

Overall, just much better control for me and I will never switch away from it.

Edit: and my recent change to go with lhl was to have the flat part of the grip be in line with the face of the putter. So the flat part is in the palm of left hand with one finger down the grip.

I keep praticing and cant make up my mind. But i will commit to the lhl for a while to see what happens. Have a round tomorrow and will tell the results.

Titleist 915 d2
Titleist 917 f2 18*

Bridgestone J15 cb 5-pw
Nike engage 52 square,
56 toe sweep
60 dual sole

Lajosi Dd201

A dream bag

• 1 year later...

Went through conventional and then left hand low this season.

Just went to the claw and the stroke feels really good. Hoping to get another round in with it before the snow shuts us down here in Alberta

Callaway triple Diamond paradym 9*- hulk 60tx 

Callaway paradym triple diamond - hulk 70tx 

Titleist TSi3 20* hybrid Matrix Black Tie 90x 
Srixon zx7mkii 456 / ZForgedii 789P- MMT 125tx 
Cleveland RTX6 50/54/ S400 TI Onyx 
Vokey Wedgeworks 60* V-grind 
Tri-hot double wide