2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

brianhorne8's WITB, Course Photos, and Other Crap

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great thread here man.

Thanks very much! I don't (and won't) change out equipment much at all, so course photos (thanks to Puppetmaster for the inspiration) are the best way to keep this thing going and document my on-course shenanigans. I'm just glad people are enjoying! The Hawaii photos should be fun for me because I'll have my family in them and can take more portrait-style stuff like I like to shoot day to day.

Love this post, man. I was laughing as you were describing your experience with the JPX 850 Forged during fitting; I had a similar experience a year ago. I have always liked a smaller head so when I went into the fitting it was the i25, Vapor Pro Combo, Apex, and 714 AP2. At the end of the fitting I was leaning towards the Apex and the fitter asked me if there was anything else I wanted to try. Even though the heads were just a tiny bit larger than what I was used to, I gave the 850s a try and the fitter said, "you're going to like these numbers." I was hitting them so much more consistently than the others. I ended up going with the PX 6.0. I like heavier shafts as well--I feel much more confident "going after" the ball. I know I probably lose distance but it's a mental thing for me.

In the final analysis, having the 850 forged in your bag is cool so let me welcome you to the cool kids table!

Great thread and pictures. Love the look of that course too, reminds of a few courses I played in Vegas.

Cobra King LTD 9*, Fujikura Ventus TR Red 6X
Cobra King Tec 17*, Fujikura Axiom 105S

Adams A12 19*, Diamana Thump X
TM TP MC/MB, Fujikura Axiom 105S 
Vokey 250.08, SM9 54-S & 60-V, DG S400
Toulon Palm Beach

Great thread and pictures. Love the look of that course too, reminds of a few courses I played in Vegas.

Thanks for the inspiration! Taking photos on the course actually helps me relax, I've noticed. I'm not thinking about the last shot or anything really, just soaking in the course and playing each shot as it comes. Do you find that happens at all? It's been interesting to note on my end.

Love this post, man. I was laughing as you were describing your experience with the JPX 850 Forged during fitting; I had a similar experience a year ago. I have always liked a smaller head so when I went into the fitting it was the i25, Vapor Pro Combo, Apex, and 714 AP2. At the end of the fitting I was leaning towards the Apex and the fitter asked me if there was anything else I wanted to try. Even though the heads were just a tiny bit larger than what I was used to, I gave the 850s a try and the fitter said, "you're going to like these numbers." I was hitting them so much more consistently than the others. I ended up going with the PX 6.0. I like heavier shafts as well--I feel much more confident "going after" the ball. I know I probably lose distance but it's a mental thing for me.

In the final analysis, having the 850 forged in your bag is cool so let me welcome you to the cool kids table!

I LOVE being at the cool kids table. The 850 is a fantastic iron, and I don't see it leaving my bag any time soon. I'm probably a Mizuno lifer now.

Thanks for the inspiration! Taking photos on the course actually helps me relax, I've noticed. I'm not thinking about the last shot or anything really, just soaking in the course and playing each shot as it comes. Do you find that happens at all? It's been interesting to note on my end.

To an extent, but more often it helps me to appreciate every course I play, no matter the price or level. I've always enjoyed scenery in general, and golf course visuals are the best of both worlds. Always nice to find a good angle or light on a particular hole that makes it look good or even little different, and in some cases, better than it really is.

Cobra King LTD 9*, Fujikura Ventus TR Red 6X
Cobra King Tec 17*, Fujikura Axiom 105S

Adams A12 19*, Diamana Thump X
TM TP MC/MB, Fujikura Axiom 105S 
Vokey 250.08, SM9 54-S & 60-V, DG S400
Toulon Palm Beach

Got to play Colorado National in Erie, CO with fellow WRX'er Joelness yesterday. Given that it was hailing, thundering, and lightning on our drives to the course, I opted to not bring out the nice camera. And given that we finished in extremely low-light, I'm glad I didn't stop to snag any photos! That said, two takeaways:

1. Joel is a great dude. He commented on a Colorado WRX thread and subsequently posed the question about why higher handicaps are so scared of playing with better players. We ended up sending a few PMs, and the next thing you know, it's Thursday and we're on the course together. He's got game, and more importantly, it's pretty obvious he just enjoys a casual round as well. We'll be back out together sooner, rather than later, I'm guessing.

2. Colorado National is legit. If you poke around the Google reviews, it has some pretty soul-crushing opinions (horrible conditions, bad service, etc) but I got none of that yesterday. Apparently the head greenskeeper left about a year ago and had just put the place into a horrendous state of disrepair. It's catching back up now, and I didn't find the conditions to be anything other than fantastic. All that said, KEEP IT IN THE FAIRWAY. I pushed a few drives just into the native grass and I have never been so punished for it in all my time golfing. Hit a pure 5 iron from one lie and the ball rose, got grabbed by some grass, and it put so much topspin on the ball that you'd have thought Nadal had just returned serve or something. Dove like a well-struck free kick on soccer. Just crazy. You've got a chance to play well if you can find the fairways there. All in all, it's a great course, and I'll be back to play it again.

Hopefully I can grab some pictures next time I'm out there, but I was never risking the good camera a week before vacation.

• 3 weeks later...

I just caved and threw my gap wedge out of the bag and bought an s5 to match the rest, how's your 50 treating you?

Love it. I still don't take many full shots with it (never have felt incredibly comfortable with a full swing with any gap wedge, so I dial back the PW bigtime) but it's actually replaced my 55º as my go-to around the greens as well. I know really, reliably count on how roll out on chips, etc. My 55º is almost exclusively used in sand right now, and my 60º is my do-it-all when I need less roll. But the 50º is just lovely around the greens. I think you'll be really happy with it.

that wedge combo looks amazing. looking for the same combo!

DO IT. The S5s are perfect.

how are the S5 wedges???

Awesome. Great weight to them, really lovely feel, and super cool looks to boot. Spin is excellent. I'm really, really glad I ended up with them.

Now that I have a free moment from my Copa America duties, I'll post a few photos from the Hawaii trip. First off, the Big Island is awesome. Low-key, relatively local vibe, and good golf. We didn't really get splashy with our rounds, so no pictures of Mauna Kea or Mauna Lani are coming up, but we really enjoyed ourselves.

We started at Big Island CC, which quite a few folks here on WRX highlighted as the hidden gem among the Big Island courses. I don't recall a lot about the round, largely because I was in a bigtime funk for most of the day (which I'll vent about in a moment) but the course was in pretty good shape. Rough was a little shaggy, but the fairways were nice, as were the greens. Honestly though, at $69 for the round, I can't complain. The course is pretty tight, and in retrospect, I wouldn't have placed it as our first round if I'd known better. Highlights of the round:

• Nene! The local Hawaiian goose populates the course and are fun to watch. Not nearly as gross as Canadian geese.
  • There are sheep and cute little lambs all over the place. We approached one green and there were at least 40 sheep/lambs playing the role of gallery. Nice to have a good, respectful audience. They even napped in the bunkers!
  • Hole #17 and #18 are really, really fantastic finishing holes. #17 is modeled after TPC Sawgrass's 17th, with an island green and an ocean view. A really lovely hole, even if you dunk three in the water like I did. I was so scared of coming up short, yet so amped up to hit into that green, that I overplayed my 8 iron three times.
  • Watching my brother get his first ever birdie on #17. Smashed a 7 iron to four feet and tapped in for a really memorable two. I was extremely proud of him.

Lowlights:

• My dad and brother are not good. The brother can hang just fine, but my dad, who fancies himself a pro, probably carded something in the area of a 130. Normally, that wouldn't be a problem, but it's hard to enjoy yourself when you're waiting for the ticking time bomb to explode. Add to that constantly playing forecaddie for him, and there was no rhythm to be had in my own game. I shot a really horrendous low-90s round because I couldn't focus on a single moment of my own.
  • With all of the searching, pace of play became an issue. We started pretty much alone, by were caught up by #4. It was touch and go from there, and my brother and dad felt rushed. No matter how often I tried to explain ready golf to them (particularly the old man), it just didn't click. We ended up being eyeballed by the marshal for the middle portion of our round.
  • The threesome of ladies behind us from #14 on who continually hit into us. The marshal actually commended us for speeding up play to a perfectly acceptable pace, but these gals were just nipping at our heels the rest of the round. I waved them through a few times and they just wouldn't budge...so we had to deal with being hit into by 60-year-olds who wouldn't actually help themselves and play through.

On to the photos!

tumblr_o950j48ZQo1snx021o1_540.jpg

#17 at Big Island CC

tumblr_o950j48ZQo1snx021o5_1280.jpg

#18 at Big Island CC

tumblr_o950j48ZQo1snx021o8_1280.jpg

So that's it for Big Island CC. I didn't get to snap a lot of photos due to the aforementioned pace of play issues, and consistently searching for balls. If you're in the area and feeling good about your game, give it a look. I think you'll enjoy!

Now that I have a free moment from my Copa America duties, I'll post a few photos from the Hawaii trip. First off, the Big Island is awesome. Low-key, relatively local vibe, and good golf. We didn't really get splashy with our rounds, so no pictures of Mauna Kea or Mauna Lani are coming up, but we really enjoyed ourselves.

We started at Big Island CC, which quite a few folks here on WRX highlighted as the hidden gem among the Big Island courses. I don't recall a lot about the round, largely because I was in a bigtime funk for most of the day (which I'll vent about in a moment) but the course was in pretty good shape. Rough was a little shaggy, but the fairways were nice, as were the greens. Honestly though, at $69 for the round, I can't complain. The course is pretty tight, and in retrospect, I wouldn't have placed it as our first round if I'd known better. Highlights of the round:

• Nene! The local Hawaiian goose populates the course and are fun to watch. Not nearly as gross as Canadian geese.
  • There are sheep and cute little lambs all over the place. We approached one green and there were at least 40 sheep/lambs playing the role of gallery. Nice to have a good, respectful audience. They even napped in the bunkers!
  • Hole #17 and #18 are really, really fantastic finishing holes. #17 is modeled after TPC Sawgrass's 17th, with an island green and an ocean view. A really lovely hole, even if you dunk three in the water like I did. I was so scared of coming up short, yet so amped up to hit into that green, that I overplayed my 8 iron three times.
  • Watching my brother get his first ever birdie on #17. Smashed a 7 iron to four feet and tapped in for a really memorable two. I was extremely proud of him.

Lowlights:

• My dad and brother are not good. The brother can hang just fine, but my dad, who fancies himself a pro, probably carded something in the area of a 130. Normally, that wouldn't be a problem, but it's hard to enjoy yourself when you're waiting for the ticking time bomb to explode. Add to that constantly playing forecaddie for him, and there was no rhythm to be had in my own game. I shot a really horrendous low-90s round because I couldn't focus on a single moment of my own.
  • With all of the searching, pace of play became an issue. We started pretty much alone, by were caught up by #4. It was touch and go from there, and my brother and dad felt rushed. No matter how often I tried to explain ready golf to them (particularly the old man), it just didn't click. We ended up being eyeballed by the marshal for the middle portion of our round.
  • The threesome of ladies behind us from #14 on who continually hit into us. The marshal actually commended us for speeding up play to a perfectly acceptable pace, but these gals were just nipping at our heels the rest of the round. I waved them through a few times and they just wouldn't budge...so we had to deal with being hit into by 60-year-olds who wouldn't actually help themselves and play through.

On to the photos!

tumblr_o950j48ZQo1snx021o1_540.jpg

#17 at Big Island CC

tumblr_o950j48ZQo1snx021o5_1280.jpg

#18 at Big Island CC

tumblr_o950j48ZQo1snx021o8_1280.jpg

So that's it for Big Island CC. I didn't get to snap a lot of photos due to the aforementioned pace of play issues, and consistently searching for balls. If you're in the area and feeling good about your game, give it a look. I think you'll enjoy!

Nice write up! I'll try to get on this course next week.

• 4 weeks later...

A few weeks ago, I happened upon a great deal on the BST for a Fly-Z+. Got the club and it was basically unhit. I'd have been fine with a black head, but the seller had an orange one...so why not! Got my fitter to pull my Speeder 757 from the old driver and put it in the Fly-Z+. Holy moly, this thing is a monster. I'm playing it at 9º and the weight forward. Absolute bomber. And yes, Yoda's still around protecting the club from any and all danger.

tumblr_oasc1rLpCG1snx021o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_oasc1rLpCG1snx021o2_1280.jpg

tumblr_oasc1rLpCG1snx021o3_1280.jpg

• 3 months later...

Congratulations. Get in some golf while you can.

Really missed seeing some stunning course pictures from you.

Aw, thanks. I've been out a lot recently, but haven't been able to snap any pictures. Hoping to get a few either this week or a few from now, and I'll play a couple of times in the Phoenix/Scottsdale area around Christmas.

Also tried the entire Evnroll putter line today, along with a few of Cure's offerings. My putting has been atrocious for a few months now, and I'm searching for answers. I think Evnroll ER2 is going to be in the bag next month.

Great thread. The pictures are fantastic. Congratulations on the new addition.

Driver: Cobra Aerojet
5W: Ping G430
3H & 4H: Ping G410
5H:  Ping G
6 - GW: Ping G25

54*: Ping Glide 4.0
58*: Cleveland RTX Zipcore Full Bounce
Putter: Odyssey Tri Hot Double Wide CH Putter

Grips:  Golf Pride MCC Plus 4

Ball:  Titleist ProV1, Maxfli Tour, Taylormade TP5, PXG

Great thread. The pictures are fantastic. Congratulations on the new addition.

Thanks. I teased everyone with these pictures and haven't snapped any since. Chalk it up to playing faster and forgetting my camera...and not wanting to take any with my iPhone. Doesn't do 'em justice.

• 1 month later...

Super pumped to put something very special (to me) in the bag tomorrow. Will update when it's in my hands!

Also playing Wickenburg Ranch and Ak-Chin Southern Dunes next week (12/26 and 12/28). Will FINALLY get some good course pictures up.

ALSO finding out boy/girl on Wednesday. Big holiday season coming up.

Super pumped to put something very special (to me) in the bag tomorrow. Will update when it's in my hands!

Also playing Wickenburg Ranch and Ak-Chin Southern Dunes next week (12/26 and 12/28). Will FINALLY get some good course pictures up.

ALSO finding out boy/girl on Wednesday. Big holiday season coming up.

Southern dunes is a treat! Have fun!

Callaway Mavrik Subzero 10.5 Graphite Design ADDI 7XX
Srixon U85 2,3,4 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Srixon 785 5-PW Nippon NSPro 1050s
Cleveland RTX-4 Tour Raw 50,55,61 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Scotty Cameron Futura 5W 34.5

A little over a year ago, I happened up YourTourCollection.com and found their stash of Yes! putters. As a fan of them, I was immediately interested in the tour offerings. One, in particular, was the Mollie Tour. My wife's name is Mollie, and it just so happened that it's that #9 shape that I love and have always wanted to game. I almost bit, but I thought the price was a little high, so I talked myself out of it. When I talked myself back into it, it was sold. I've been searching for over a year for one, but eBay listings are hard to come by, and the ones I've seen have had astronomical prices. I randomly typed the putter's name into the search bar a couple of days ago and, to my amazement, there was one for sale. Not perfect condition by any means, but I've never been a stickler for that. The buy it now price was $85 plus shipping, and then I noticed the location of the seller was in Littleton, CO. I messaged them immediately and asked if they'd be willing to sell and do a local pickup and they agreed. I am just picked this thing up and, nicks aside, it's absolutely awesome. And like I said, I'm no purist, so that doesn't bother me much either. It's even got a new SS Slim 3.0 on, which is exactly what's on my gamer now. I can't believe I lucked into this deal. Really, really neat to have her name on my putter, and with the correct spelling, at that.

tumblr_oiibosDMho1snx021o3_1280.jpg

tumblr_oiibosDMho1snx021o2_1280.jpg

tumblr_oiibosDMho1snx021o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_oiibosDMho1snx021o4_1280.jpg

I've made a few putts around the house with it, and this putter is SO SOFT. I'm in love. Immediately going into the bag for my upcoming trip to Phoenix this weekend. It'll get two rounds next week!

Just snagged a Golf Buddy LR5!

LR5.png

I almost went for the LR5S, which has slope readings, but for the money, I didn't think I'd use it enough to really make it worth it. They're currently running a $100 rebate if you buy from certain stores, so I headed over to PGA Tour SS before they closed today to get one for my Monday AM round. Can't wait to finally have a laser in the bag. Also got a chance to hit the new Cobra King F7 (standard). Man, it's really, really good. Feel/sound were perfect, and it's as good, performance-wise as any other Cobra offerings of late. I'll be scouring the BST this time next year for mine, lol.

• 2 weeks later...

Last week I played Ak-Chin Southern Dunes. Man, oh man, what a great course. Bunkers everywhere with GOOD sand, greens rolling true and fast, fairways were not too firm, yet not too soft, and not a house in sight. I loved/hated the bunker placement, only because it became (as golf typically is) imperative that you put your ball exactly where you intended to, unless you like playing out of fairway bunkers. A properly links-y yet desert-y mix of golf, there weren't any absurd forced carries like you'll see on a lot of AZ desert courses...this course just required good shots all around. I believe they were gearing up for an amateur tournament that weekend, so the pin placements were about as brutal as I've seen on any course I've played. Had a great back nine going and hit a decent iron into the green on 18 that rolled off into a bunker that faced the lake adjacent to the green. Pin was tucked a few feet from the edge and not being the strongest bunker player, I was terrified of hitting a thin bullet into the lake. Three swings I wimped out on before I finally got out, and finished off a seven hole par streak with a quad. Went from possibly carding a 37 or 38 (if I'd stayed on the green on 18) to a 42. Oh well, them's the breaks.

Just a lovely track. Get out there if you haven't. Oh, and walk it! Rate is the same to walk or ride, but they have Sun Mountain Speed Carts you can use if you opt to row your own boat.

tumblr_oj7pfronHQ1snx021o4_1280.jpg

tumblr_oj7pfronHQ1snx021o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_oj7pfronHQ1snx021o6_1280.jpg

tumblr_oj7pfronHQ1snx021o8_1280.jpg

tumblr_oj7pfronHQ1snx021o2_1280.jpg

tumblr_oj7pfronHQ1snx021o5_1280.jpg

tumblr_oj7pfronHQ1snx021o7_1280.jpg