2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Putting Aimpoint Express

Ever go a few years where your putting is dire for no apparent reason? I've been on SAM Puttlab and it says my stroke is excellent yet I havent broken under 30 putts in a long long time. I frequently have 33 putts or on a horrendous day 36 or 37. I usually have 2 3 putts a round.

I feel like I dont hit it on line consistently enough and also feel like my speed is always a bit off. I dont even bother practising it anymore. Anytime I have asked a pro to look at my stroke they say "looks good to me bud". Then I procede to have another 35 putts next round haha. I used to be a good putter in my 20's but its gone south for whatever reason.

Anyway I am a skeptic but willing to try something different to sort this. Can anyone tell me about aimpoint express? I have toutubed it but they arent giving away any info bar you feel the slope with your feet. That sounds a bit wishy washy. Feel is subjective and how you feel slope can change day to day I am thinking. There is a guy who teaches this but charges 100 bucks+ to get a lesson in it which is a bit much.

Can any player revommend it and tell me exactly how it has helped and more info on how it works?

Can't put a number on it as I don't keep detailed stats (I should probably start). What it did do was free me up to trust and not second guess my line and let me focus solely on speed over the ball. It tremendously helped my lag putting, I used to be that guy who would play 2 feet of break - the wrong way. That never happens now. Lags are nearly almost always on a decent line and then it's just speed control.

A.P.E. is wonderful.

I have gone to using it full time this year. That, along with simplifying my routine and using the 5footer have drastically improved my putting. My strokes gained putting has -4.58 to -1.21 in 2016.

The simple routine offers clarity.

The practice with the 5footer trains alignment and instills confidence over "testers."

A.P.E. makes lag putting extremely simple. It is effective everywhere, but, for me, it makes the most (and it's huge) difference as you get farther from the hole, where most of us severely under read putts and then have to force a speed/face correction mid-stroke to fix our read. All that is gone with A.P.E.

AI Smoke TD 8° w/shaft TBD

Big Bertha 815 Alpha 14° w/Voodoo VS

'24 Apex UW 19° w/Rogue Silver

'16 Apex Hybrid 23° w/DG 
'24 Apex CB 5-7; '24 Apex MB 8-11 w/DG

MD2 55° + PM 1.0 58° w/DG
Odyssey White Hot 2 Ball Frankenstein (Fowler style)
[img]http://pxc86358mpx1hyn3hdxen4o1.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/171831.png[/img]

Anyway I am a skeptic but willing to try something different to sort this. Can anyone tell me about aimpoint express? I have toutubed it but they arent giving away any info bar you feel the slope with your feet. That sounds a bit wishy washy. Feel is subjective and how you feel slope can change day to day I am thinking. There is a guy who teaches this but charges 100 bucks+ to get a lesson in it which is a bit much.

Can any player revommend it and tell me exactly how it has helped and more info on how it works?

AimPoint teaches you to read greens with your body's sense of balance and equilibrium rather than your vision. It simplifies the aiming process as well.

It works extremely well for me. Like anything, you have to practice it and work at it....it is simple to learn, but the better you do it - meaning the more refined and accurate you are with judging slope and assessing green speed - the better results you will have.

For me, what I've found is that in using aimpoint, I get the direction of the break correct virtually 100% of the time...compared to visual reading, where I would say maybe 10-15% of putts would break the opposite way that I read them.

It isn't magic....the same challenges of putting still apply. But IMO it is a much better and much simpler method of reading greens than looking at the green.

Aaron Wise (Oregon) just won the NCAA Championship using Aimpoint Express. :rtfm:

TI Taylormade SIM (9.0°) Tensei CK Pro Orange 70TX
TI Taylormade SIM Ti (15.4°) Tensei CK Pro Blue 80X
Callaway XR Pro (20°) Diamana White 90X
PING i210 (4i-UW) DG X100
Ping Glide 2.0 (54°) DG S400 TI
Artisan MT Grind (58°) DG S400
Taylormade Spider X Chalk SS

Taylormade TP5

• 2 weeks later...

AimPoint teaches you to read greens with your body's sense of balance and equilibrium rather than your vision. It simplifies the aiming process as well.

It works extremely well for me. Like anything, you have to practice it and work at it....it is simple to learn, but the better you do it - meaning the more refined and accurate you are with judging slope and assessing green speed - the better results you will have.

For me, what I've found is that in using aimpoint, I get the direction of the break correct virtually 100% of the time...compared to visual reading, where I would say maybe 10-15% of putts would break the opposite way that I read them.

It isn't magic....the same challenges of putting still apply. But IMO it is a much better and much simpler method of reading greens than looking at the green.

How long did it take you to begin to feel breaks/slopes correctly? I bought the DVD and began practicing this morning. My sense of balance and equilibrium needs improvement :)

The more I read about this, the more I think this works best for folks who have trouble with visualization.

Titleist Tsi3 9/Tensei White 65x

Titleist Tsi2 16.5/Tensei White 75x

Titleist 818 h2 21/Tensei White 95x

Mizuno Mp-20 mb 4-Pw/Dynamic Gold 120x

Mizuno T22 50, 54, 58/Dynamic Gold s400

Bettinardi Studio Stock #8

Titleist ProV1x

• 1 month later...

Ok so I finally got round to getting a coaching session in this. The only problem is I am good at guessing the slope but I find with the finger system for me gives me an incorrect aimpoint which plays too much break.

As far as I am aware I am doing it correctly. Can anyone help me out? You can PM me to avoid making info public.

Ok so I finally got round to getting a coaching session in this. The only problem is I am good at guessing the slope but I find with the finger system for me gives me an incorrect aimpoint which plays too much break.

As far as I am aware I am doing it correctly. Can anyone help me out? You can PM me to avoid making info public.

Are you holding your fingers up at full arm's length with no elbow bend? Are your arms unusually short or your fingers unusually thick? Do you play on super slow greens?

Those are the only factors I can think of to cause what you're describing, assuming you're getting the true percent (not degrees!) slope and measuring from center cup (not edge of cup).

ps. It could also be that you're subconsciously putting the ball not towards the aimpoint, but higher than the aimpoint in order to hit the aimpoint. Like to your brain, the aimpoint becomes the target. This is easy to do, since the ball never comes close to reaching the aimpoint when rolling on the correct line.

I played a scramble the other day and I swear this dude was basically doubling whatever amount of break I recommended he use. For example, I'd do the Aimpoint thing on a 20 footer and come up with, say, 12 inches of break. I'd watch him line up and stroke and he'd use around 2 feet as his start line, missing around 12 inches high of course.

Are you holding your fingers up at full arm's length with no elbow bend? Are your arms unusually short or your fingers unusually thick? Do you play on super slow greens?

Those are the only factors I can think of to cause what you're describing, assuming you're getting the true percent (not degrees!) slope and measuring from center cup (not edge of cup).

I will try again making sure my arm is 100% straight. Maybe I was bending my arm and didn't notice. I will report back. My fingers are normal as is my arm length I think. The greens are a little slow but not super slow by any means.

Oh one more thing. I have read that you stand 3ft back for putts over 10ft. But someone else told me its 1ft back. Whats your take?

ps. It could also be that you're subconsciously putting the ball not towards the aimpoint, but higher than the aimpoint in order to hit the aimpoint. Like to your brain, the aimpoint becomes the target. This is easy to do, since the ball never comes close to reaching the aimpoint when rolling on the correct line.

I played a scramble the other day and I swear this dude was basically doubling whatever amount of break I recommended he use. For example, I'd do the Aimpoint thing on a 20 footer and come up with, say, 12 inches of break. I'd watch him line up and stroke and he'd use around 2 feet as his start line, missing around 12 inches high of course.

It's possible but I don't think it's my problem although I would need someone to check me to make sure.

I will try again making sure my arm is 100% straight. Maybe I was bending my arm and didn't notice. I will report back. My fingers are normal as is my arm length I think. The greens are a little slow but not super slow by any means.

Oh one more thing. I have read that you stand 3ft back for putts over 10ft. But someone else told me its 1ft back. Whats your take?

I am self-taught and never stand back away from the ball. I always measure standing right behind the ball. The only adjustments I make are elbow bend for faster greens or downhill puts, and switch to inches outside cup (1 inch per percent slope) around 5 ft or closer.

It's possible but I don't think it's my problem although I would need someone to check me to make sure.

You can set up a breaking putt with an alignment stick to check this yourself. It's a very easy mistake to make, especially if you don't use and trust a line drawn on the ball.

Just back. Tried it with ramrod straight arm but the problem remains. a 2% slope with my two fingers gives me an overread.

You're confirming the 2% slope with a digital level or clinometer app? And positive you're starting the putt on the right line, ideally with two aligment sticks as train tracks?

There have been a lot of APE threads here with success stories, and I don't recall hearing about this over read problem before.

Just back. Tried it with ramrod straight arm but the problem remains. a 2% slope with my two fingers gives me an overread.

You're confirming the 2% slope with a digital level or clinometer app? And positive you're starting the putt on the right line, ideally with two aligment sticks as train tracks?

There have been a lot of APE threads here with success stories, and I don't recall hearing about this over read problem before.

Yes. I am starting it on line. I am using an app with a clinometer on my phone. Maybe it needs recalibrating but I checked it against the ones the aimpoint guys sell and it was the same reading.

That is now the only thing I think could be throwing me off. I am doing the finger thing level with the ball, with me straddling the ball. Toes level with it. then move back for outside 10ft.

Yes. I am starting it on line. I am using an app with a clinometer on my phone. Maybe it needs recalibrating but I checked it against the ones the aimpoint guys sell and it was the same reading.

That is now the only thing I think could be throwing me off. I am doing the finger thing level with the ball, with me straddling the ball. Toes level with it. then move back for outside 10ft.

I was taught that 6 feet was the dividing line for straddling or standing behind.

I was taught that 6 feet was the dividing line for straddling or standing behind.

Really? I was told 10ft. Anyone know what is 100% correct?

When you miss the putt, how far past the hole is the ball rolling? Anything longer than 18 inches means you are giving it too much power and need to work on that.

When I practice my Aimpoint Express, to get calibrated with the level, I mark the aimpoint with a tee and go from there. If I am missing on the low side, I need to give it more break (fingers closer) and high side is less break (fingers further away). It takes some real practice to get a feel for how greens are rolling and where you should be. By the 3rd or 4th hole, if I hadn't practiced too much pre-round, I have made the necessary adjustments in my arm bend to compensate for the green speed.

TSi2 10* w/ Trono 65x set at C1

TSi2 16.5* w/ Trono 75x set at C1

TSi2 18* w/ GD Tour AD BB 7s set at C1

VEGA VDC-01 Raw 4-P w/ Modus 120S

Edel SMS 52 T Grind

Edel SMS 56 T Grind

Edel SMS 60 T Grind

LAB DF 2.1 w/ Stability Shaft

Bridgestone Tour BXS

I aim for 1 ft past

Do you have a digital level or something to give you an actual %? How far back are you stepping from your ball? I know that APE gives us some pretty strict guidelines but I have deviated on a few things, depending on the greens that I am playing. How much practice are you putting into it on a daily/weekly basis?

TSi2 10* w/ Trono 65x set at C1

TSi2 16.5* w/ Trono 75x set at C1

TSi2 18* w/ GD Tour AD BB 7s set at C1

VEGA VDC-01 Raw 4-P w/ Modus 120S

Edel SMS 52 T Grind

Edel SMS 56 T Grind

Edel SMS 60 T Grind

LAB DF 2.1 w/ Stability Shaft

Bridgestone Tour BXS

Really? I was told 10ft. Anyone know what is 100% correct?

Let me check my notes.