The Wizard Short Game Technique Videos(merged)

Hstead

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you so much for these videos iTeach. Just bought them last week and went out and played today without even practicing the techniques. My short game was already better without even having a chance to practice this technique.

Thank you so much for these videos iTeach. Just bought them last week and went out and played today without even practicing the techniques. My short game was already better without even having a chance to practice this technique.

Callaway Epic subzero 
Srixon u85 18 degree 
Srixon 975/z-forged
Cleveland RTX 4
Taylormade spider
Srixon XV

• 2 weeks later...

Dan, although I hate the term hold, it seems to me what Phil is actually saying is what you say in your chipping video of keeping the clubhead low after impact with the arms straight?

Driver: Taylormade M2 10.5* w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 62g
3 Wood: Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 15* w/ Hzrdus Yellow 6.5 76g
2 & 4 iron: Callaway X Utility 18* & 24* w/ Project X Pxi 6.0
5-PW: Callaway X Forged '13 w/ Project X Pxi 6.0
Wedges: Callaway Forged 50, Vokey SM7 54S & 60L - DG wedge flex
Putter: Odyssey 2 ball XG 40" Armlock w/ winn grip and triple track alignment

Ball: looking for chrome soft replacement

Dave....I don't have Phil's short game videos or book. Does he want you to hinge and then pivot or are the arms controlling the DS while "holding'? I've got about 7-8 short game books and videos and they all vary a little bit.

well he doesn't do a great job of describing it IMO. he says hinge the wrists on the way back and then hold through the ball. I think this gets a lot of people trying to hold the angle that was created in the backswing. which leads to hands way ahead of the ball and exposing the leading edge.

but actually watching his motion to me it seems similar to Dan's, only Dan describes how to do it properly lol.

Dan, although I hate the term hold, it seems to me what Phil is actually saying is what you say in your chipping video of keeping the clubhead low after impact with the arms straight?

Going for same big picture. Not a fan of how he describes what he does.

Yeah not a fan at all of his instruction of it, the way he describes it to me will lead lots of players to struggle. it was only as I was watching it at work with the sound off and actually looking at the motion of what he does it put a light bulb on, he seems very thumbs down after the ball. Thanks for replying

• 3 months later...

Every now and then I think i have cracked the code…and then its a few streps back.

How do i reconcile this image with these two principles:

1. Thumbs down.

2. Keep club head low.

6i8aja.png

I guess the thought in my mind is that this backswing seems way too long for the short chip shot that he plays …and that it is hard to keep the thumbs down with that much wrist set

There is virtually no wrist set there. Low is relative. That clubhead is low as it's going to be with the amount of turn and length of swing. You're turning while bent over, so shoulders are turning on a tilted plane. Clubhead is going to work up.

How is the swing too long when it went the right distance? It's not a short chip. Listen to the words and do what is said. Don't try to read between the lines.

Very similar to Steve Stricker

• 3 weeks later...

Dan,

In Utleys method, it seems to be very similar except he uses the pivot to drive it. Is your method more of a feel of the arms driving the shot distance? Like how you use arms to regulate putting distance? It would seem they both work but need to find out what the player likes to feel as his distance controller. Hope that makes sense.

Hands and arms are only direct contact to club. Never going to be precise distance control wise using pivot for distance control. Utley swings his arms around his body and is not using his pivot to control distance

Could you explain why using the pivot leads to imprecise distance control? Pretty sure Stricker and Day are pivot driven with the short shots. Cameron McCormick (Speith's coach) talks about how he believes the pivot and pivot force leads to better distance control.

Dan,

In Utleys method, it seems to be very similar except he uses the pivot to drive it. Is your method more of a feel of the arms driving the shot distance? Like how you use arms to regulate putting distance? It would seem they both work but need to find out what the player likes to feel as his distance controller. Hope that makes sense.

Hands and arms are only direct contact to club. Never going to be precise distance control wise using pivot for distance control. Utley swings his arms around his body and is not using his pivot to control distance

Could you explain why using the pivot leads to imprecise distance control? Pretty sure Stricker and Day are pivot driven with the short shots. Cameron McCormick (Speith's coach) talks about how he believes the pivot and pivot force leads to better distance control.

You'd be wrong about Stricker and Day. Which are you more aware of? Where arms and club are or how many degrees you're turning. Nobody is saying that you don't pivot. But the pivot is not how you're controlling distance. The amount of wrist hinge and length of arm swing is how you control distance effectively.

You think hands controlled pivot means you're flippy and that the pivot isn't heavily involved, and you'd be completely wrong. What I'm teaching is the same thing Stricker and Day do. It's arms extended without any conscious hand action at all for basic pitch shots. Utley is way more armsy and flippy with way less pivot than I have and teach. He teaches arms folding and a bunch of hand action through the ball.

Dan,

Or you could explain why you go back three years to pull something up for the purpose of asking questions you really don't want answered. Appreciate Dan's response, but your jumping from thread to thread trying to stir things up for no reason is pretty lame.

Dan,

You'd be wrong about Stricker and Day. Which are you more aware of? Where arms and club are or how many degrees you're turning. Nobody is saying that you don't pivot. But the pivot is not how you're controlling distance. The amount of wrist hinge and length of arm swing is how you control distance effectively.

You think hands controlled pivot means you're flippy and that the pivot isn't heavily involved, and you'd be completely wrong. What I'm teaching is the same thing Stricker and Day do. It's arms extended without any conscious hand action at all for basic pitch shots. Utley is way more armsy and flippy with way less pivot than I have and teach. He teaches arms folding and a bunch of hand action through the ball.

Man, thats a lot of assumptions you just threw out there. Don't know how hands controlled pivot got into this discussion and it being flippy. Doesn't even make any sense. I'm assuming since you labeled me a slicefixer guy that you know exactly what I know and anything that isn't pivot controlled must be a flip.

Anyways, lets try to get back on topic here. You say, Never going to be precise distance control wise using pivot for distance control. Utley swings his arms around his body and is not using his pivot to control distance.

Assuming we can both agree that the pivot is simply the turn for this discussion, the more you pivot, the more arm swing is generated. Assuming the arms stay in front of you and the wrist stay inactive. Therefore, pivot is controlling the distance.

Another way would be an arm/wrist dominated motion with less pivot. To me, this seems to be Utley's preferred style.

Cameron McCormick uses pivot and pivot speed to control distance, so I guess he's completely wrong too.

Man, thats a lot of assumptions you just threw out there. Don't know how hands controlled pivot got into this discussion and it being flippy. Doesn't even make any sense. I'm assuming since you labeled me a slicefixer guy that you know exactly what I know and anything that isn't pivot controlled must be a flip.

Anyways, lets try to get back on topic here. You say, Never going to be precise distance control wise using pivot for distance control. Utley swings his arms around his body and is not using his pivot to control distance.

Assuming we can both agree that the pivot is simply the turn for this discussion, the more you pivot, the more arm swing is generated. Assuming the arms stay in front of you and the wrist stay inactive. Therefore, pivot is controlling the distance.

Another way would be an arm/wrist dominated motion with less pivot. To me, this seems to be Utley's preferred style.

Cameron McCormick uses pivot and pivot speed to control distance, so I guess he's completely wrong too.

Nah you'd be wrong. If both arms are extended you literally cannot move them without pivoting. The pivot is completely automated and reactionary. It is not controlling the distance one bit. I'm turning, my arms stay in front of me and extended, and wrist aren't active yet pivot isn't controlling anything or even a thought. Your bolded conclusion is a complete fallacy.

Nobody is saying not to pivot, it's just not how you judge distance. I pivot more than Day and much more than Stricker but don't think about pivoting at all.

I didn't make an assumption. You prove my point exactly and you obviously have reading comprehension issues. I 100% control my pivot with my arm swing yet have a bigger pivot. My motion 100% "arms dominated" as the pivot is reactionary and a by product of having arms extended. Nobody said not to use the pivot, even though tried to frame it that way.

"Could you explain why using the pivot leads to imprecise distance control?"

I said you can't have good distance control using your pivot to control said distance. That isn't the same thing as saying not to pivot. It's painfully obvious how ignorant you are about what I teach and you motives are hilariously obvious quoting a 3 year old post.

Not one person who is any good with a wedge is controlling distance with their pivot. They are focusing on the length of clubhead travel and the length of arm travel. Not how big of a turn they make. It's you who is making assumption and don't even understand what I'm saying. Cameron would agree with me. Find my one great players who controls distance with the amount they turn and NOT with length of clubhead or arm swing. We are literally hard wired to have the greatest senses for fine motor skills with our hands. Using the hands to judge the length and speed of the swing, as it is what we are most aware of, while automating the pivot is absolutely the most effective way to play shots with a wedge in your hand.

I'll say this very clearly over again since you seem to be quite slow, just because you aren't focusing on the pivot doesn't mean you aren't pivoting. If both arms are extended then it is literally impossible to swing your arms without turning. So therefore swinging your arms causes you to pivot automatically with zero thought. They are not thinking about how much to pivot in order to control distance, they are thinking about how far the club/hands travel.

As for the 3 year old post, I actually asked you to answer that question in post 124 but never got a reply.

I find it crazy that you seem to know that NOT ONE person controls distance with their pivot. I will agree with you that most people use the well known clock system or arm swing length to control distance. Couldn't find the clip online from the golf channel academy with McCormick but I don't think he would agree with you

You can make the same exact motion focusing on arms or focusing on the pivot.

Probably the biggest disagreement we have is in intents. And I think we will have to agree to disagree on that one.

I'm glad the arms straight image works for you and your students.

It's amazing to me that you think calling me ignorant, quite slow, and having reading comprehension issues actually affects me. It reminds me of the language used by the current republican presidential nominee.

As for the 3 year old post, I actually asked you to answer that question in post 124 but never got a reply.

I find it crazy that you seem to know that NOT ONE person controls distance with their pivot. I will agree with you that most people use the well known clock system or arm swing length to control distance. Couldn't find the clip online from the golf channel academy with McCormick but I don't think he would agree with you

You can make the same exact motion focusing on arms or focusing on the pivot.

Probably the biggest disagreement we have is in intents. And I think we will have to agree to disagree on that one.

I'm glad the arms straight image works for you and your students.

It's amazing to me that you think calling me ignorant, quite slow, and having reading comprehension issues actually affects me. It reminds me of the language used by the current republican presidential nominee.

I know people who do use their pivot to try and control distance. But they aren't very good. Again we are exponentially more aware of where our hands and arms are then where our shoulders are. 25% of our brain is devoted to our hands. They are designed for fine motor skills. You can use you pivot to try and control distance but it will never be as precise as using hands/arms. And that's the whole point. Combine that with the face that the pivot can be automated, and there is zero reason not to, the focus should be on the hands and arms. It's using the body how it was designed and where we are the most sensitive with the greatest sense of touch, feel, and awareness.

Don't act all innocent. Your motives are obvious. You aren't actually trying to learn, you want to pick a fight. And you showed you have reading comprehension issues when you took asked why I believe that using the pivot results in poor distance control. Which I never said and explained to you several times that I didn't mean you shouldn't use the pivot but that it shouldn't be used to control distances as we are built to use our hands/arms for that task. And that using the hands and arms for that task does NOT mean that it's flippy or that the arms aren't in front of you and extended with very stable hand action. Using your hands for feel purposes doesn't mean you actually have to change your wrist alignments at all. Can use hands for feel while having them completely frozen, do it in putting all the time. You are slow because I've had to explain the same thing over and over again to you. And you are ignorant to what I teach and how I teach. You've never take a lesson from me and you've shown it with your post.

Earlier this spring as I was ramping up my game for summer, I was trying to get my short game in the groove using Dan's methods, which I fully committed to last year with great results. I watched the videos, but keyed in on moving the shoulders for some reason. Was trying to capture the "making a long putt" feeling, but was doing it with my body (rocking my shoulders), not my arms. Results were awful, hitting fat, thin, pretty much felt lucky when it worked. After a couple frustrating practice sessions, re-watched the videos and wanted to smack myself. I realized I wasn't thinking at all about the arms using this motion - I couldn't wait to get to the course. Sure enough, I was fixed immediately, and have been ever since. Swinging the arms to the target works so well it is almost stupid.

Hogan - have you ever tried Dan's techniques like he describes? Not trolling, serious question. I don't know why anybody would question something that works so well when you do it right.

Dan - you mention length of arm swing to control distance. Do you recommend using the same speed and tempo for the arms for every shot - relying only on arm swing length for distance? I know it is possible to speed up arm swing for more distance, just wondering if you recommend doing it that way.

Earlier this spring as I was ramping up my game for summer, I was trying to get my short game in the groove using Dan's methods, which I fully committed to last year with great results. I watched the videos, but keyed in on moving the shoulders for some reason. Was trying to capture the "making a long putt" feeling, but was doing it with my body (rocking my shoulders), not my arms. Results were awful, hitting fat, thin, pretty much felt lucky when it worked. After a couple frustrating practice sessions, re-watched the videos and wanted to smack myself. I realized I wasn't thinking at all about the arms using this motion - I couldn't wait to get to the course. Sure enough, I was fixed immediately, and have been ever since. Swinging the arms to the target works so well it is almost stupid.

Hogan - have you ever tried Dan's techniques like he describes? Not trolling, serious question. I don't know why anybody would question something that works so well when you do it right.

Dan - you mention length of arm swing to control distance. Do you recommend using the same speed and tempo for the arms for every shot - relying only on arm swing length for distance? I know it is possible to speed up arm swing for more distance, just wondering if you recommend doing it that way.

Rhythm should stay the same. Speed will change as swing length changes but there isn't a change in effort. The more variables you change the less predictable the outcome, true for everything but especially golf. Face angle, handle height and swing length are really the only variables I change. the simplicity is why it works. It's predictable.

I'm sure this was covered earlier so I apologize in advance. On a standard pitch, to engage the bounce, how far forward in the stance do you play the ball?

Depends how you're doing it. The way I teach it, left armpit/shoulder.

Thanks Dan

Rhythm should stay the same. Speed will change as swing length changes but there isn't a change in effort. The more variables you change the less predictable the outcome, true for everything but especially golf. Face angle, handle height and swing length are really the only variables I change. the simplicity is why it works. It's predictable.

I'm sure this was covered earlier so I apologize in advance. On a standard pitch, to engage the bounce, how far forward in the stance do you play the ball?

Depends how you're doing it. The way I teach it, left armpit/shoulder.

I'd half to look them up. Like I said trailing edge and heel. Essentially making it more of a TS

Hi Dan. Big fan and greatly appreciate all that you and Monte contribute and your efforts to make us better for zero compensation. That being said, I wish I had noticed this thread a couple of weeks ago as I just purchased three Glide wedges 50 SS, 54 SS and 58 WS. So far I really like them but went with the WS in the 58 thinking that it would be more forgiving and playable than the SS or TS. Is there any bending or grinding that you would recommend to improve the playability of the 58 or would I be better off just eating the loss and swapping it out for a TS?

Can you explain exactly what it is that makes the TS better for chipping and pitching opposed to the WS?

Thanks again.

Versatility. The Attas actually has considerably more bounce and is at a much steeper angle. Wide sole is fine on basic shots but more limiting on open faced shots. Big heel relief would allow it to be more playable while open.

A thinner soles higher bounce wedge gives you the same positives and margin of error that the wide sole does on square faced shots (increased bounce negates the thinner sole) while allowing it to be played extremely open off even the tightest lies. One is very good for specific shots. The other is versatile and good almost anywhere.

Dan

I've never used a lob wedge before as I've never been confident enough but using this technique with a 56* works really well so I'm keen to give a 60* a try. I expect the thump and the aggressive approach is in part because of the loft.

As I understand your comments you prefer high bounce with a narrow sole as being the most versatile.

I realise this is over a year ago, but I assume "Attas" is a predictive text mess up for "TS"?

Ping website now has Glide 60/TS at 6* effective bounce, the lowest. (60/WS = 12* and 60/SS = 10*)

So I'm a little confused, unless Ping gas changed the specs since April last year.

So, is the Ping 60/TS still the go or has that changed?

I'd half to look them up. Like I said trailing edge and heel. Essentially making it more of a TS

Hi Dan. Big fan and greatly appreciate all that you and Monte contribute and your efforts to make us better for zero compensation. That being said, I wish I had noticed this thread a couple of weeks ago as I just purchased three Glide wedges 50 SS, 54 SS and 58 WS. So far I really like them but went with the WS in the 58 thinking that it would be more forgiving and playable than the SS or TS. Is there any bending or grinding that you would recommend to improve the playability of the 58 or would I be better off just eating the loss and swapping it out for a TS?

Can you explain exactly what it is that makes the TS better for chipping and pitching opposed to the WS?

Thanks again.

Versatility. The Attas actually has considerably more bounce and is at a much steeper angle. Wide sole is fine on basic shots but more limiting on open faced shots. Big heel relief would allow it to be more playable while open.

A thinner soles higher bounce wedge gives you the same positives and margin of error that the wide sole does on square faced shots (increased bounce negates the thinner sole) while allowing it to be played extremely open off even the tightest lies. One is very good for specific shots. The other is versatile and good almost anywhere.

Dan

I've never used a lob wedge before as I've never been confident enough but using this technique with a 56* works really well so I'm keen to give a 60* a try. I expect the thump and the aggressive approach is in part because of the loft.

As I understand your comments you prefer high bounce with a narrow sole as being the most versatile.

I realise this is over a year ago, but I assume "Attas" is a predictive text mess up for "TS"?

Ping website now has Glide 60/TS at 6* effective bounce, the lowest. (60/WS = 12* and 60/SS = 10*)

So I'm a little confused, unless Ping gas changed the specs since April last year.

So, is the Ping 60/TS still the go or has that changed?

There's a difference between effective and measured. If you are worried the SS is very good as well

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

I want these videos so badly haha, they sound fantastic and look to of helped so many people. I'm going out to Spain tomorrow for 4 days to play golf and my short game is in pieces. Its a real shame I cant get hold of these so I can watch them on my flight over. I am fatting and thinning everything. I have read through this entire thread trying to pickup on a few tips, here is a video of me chipping in my garden trying to incorporate the technique that I have picked up from previous posts in this thread.

Please excuse the messy garden, its been a cold winter over here in England! Ill book a lesson up when I get back from my trip. I did 3 chips FO and 3 DL.

[media=]

[/media]

If anybody spots anything that im doing horribly wrong that could help me out in spain I would appreciate the feedback. If it is not acceptable to ask for such help here please let me know and I will remove the post.

regards,

tom