Tryint to pick out my GPS Christmas present

Sky Caddie SG5, uPro or Sonocaddie V300
Tried posting this message earlier today, but did something wrong.

Like many of you, I'm trying to decide between several GPS units. Right now, I'm still up in the air between three different units as follows:

Sky Caddie SG5 - I really like the graphics, size, information available and the way it felt in my hand when I played with it this afternoon at Golf Galaxy. Don't really care for the yearly fee, but since it covers course downloads for a year, maybe it's not so bad. Also worried about all the horrow stories I've read regarding Sky Golf Customer Support. Also don't really like the fact that the unit only holds 10 courses at a time. This will mean more time on the computer changing courses on the unit. The courses available from Sky Golf is significantly more than the other units. The SG5 is probably my first choice at this time.

uPro - I like the graphics but don't know if I really need the flyover if I'll be playing familiar courses most of the time. The unit seems a little less rugged than the Sky Caddie SG5. Although there is no yearly fee, the cost to download courses (with Pro Mode) seems high. Have read on this forum that it's sometimes hard to see the screen in sunlight. Living in Arizona, the sun is pretty bright almost all year long.

Sonocaddie V300 - Although I've read that the graphics on this unit are on a par with the Sky Caddie SG5, a few people have stated that the colors get washed out a little in the sunlight. This unit seems to be a bit bulkier than the other two. No yearly fee, and the Birdie or Eagle memberships seem to be quite affordable.

There is, however, one other point that has my attention. I've ready from some of you that Sky Golf may be coming out with a new model sometime soon (SG6 or SG7). Any rumors on what new features this unit may have (storage of more courses on the unit?).

I really would like to make a decision before Christmas, but I'm certainly willing to wait until the Spring if something new will be coming out.

Any thoughts? :rolleyes:

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Michael,

It really depends on what you want out of the device. I spent about 2 straight weeks researching (a lot of it on this site getting good feedback) the "Big 3". I opted for the uPro for a couple of reasons that mattered to ME.

I took the uPro out for the first time today and I was truly blown away. I've played the course before about 4-5 times but there were about 7 holes today that the uPro helped me QUICKLY plan out my strategy that resulted in 1 birdie and 5 pars with a double I think on the other. By being able to see the entire hole in relation to the measuring I was doing, it really allowed me to pick the best club without doing any math:)

I'll be posting a complete review on it a little later but all 3 devices have their pluses. You just need to figure out what matters to you most. (BTW the flyover feature was cool and all but I usually skipped it as I had already played the course before. The zoomed out view of the hole and the "green" view was what I used the most and it was here that it really shined).

Good luck with your search!

I am about to have to make a choice for my christmas present and it is tough to decide. If Skycaddie had a reputation for good customer service, my decision and many others would be easy.

I am leaning toward the SG5 (360.00 @amazon yesterday). They did have the SG 2.5 yesterday for 215.99 @ amazon but it has already gone back up. The only other unit I have not yet eliminated is the UPRO.

What sucks about this is I really like the SG5, but the customer service issues may lead me to buy what I consider an inferior product(whether right or wrong). I am more than willing to pay a membership fee for quality products.

I don't know enough yet about the golf buddy or golf guru, but I am delaying my purchase until I get more info and see what kind of holiday specials all of the gps companies have.

Bart

I think we're both in pretty much the same boat. I echo most of the points in your decision process. I'm going to wait and see what kind of special offerings will be made during December, as the golf stores try to get people to come in and buy their high cost (discretionary golf) items during this current economy. I don't mind spending the money for something I really want, but like most of us, I want to feel like I made a reasonably smart decison, based on what I am looking for.

If Sky Golf is planning on coming out with a new model over the SG5 within the next three or four months (perhaps one with more memory that will hold ~20 courses - how hard can that really be?), and keeps the cost increase to approx. $50 or less over the SG5 (wishful thinking), I would probably be done thinking about it, and just go do it. The graphics and features of the SG5 are really great. Then I guess my only worry would be Customer Support if something doesn't operate correctly. As people have stated in many forums on the web, however (pick any subject), we usually only get to see the posts made by the unhappy people, with regard to Customer Support. These are the folks who tell everyone NOT to buy this particular item, based on their experience (and who could blame them?). Could it be possible that these people are in the very small minority among the Sky Caddie owners? If your SG5 works great right out of the box (as I have read from many on this forum), the worry over the Customer Support pretty much goes away.

If anyone hears something regarding a new top-of-the-line unit coming out from Sky Golf, please let us know.

We had the Sky Golf rep in our shop today and there is no news of an upcoming new unit unit and the SG5 is their top of the line at this point. I have both an SG5 and 2.5 and have no problems with either of them from the start. I still believe they are the best units out there and would recommend them to anyone thats in the market.

I used the SkyGolf SG2 for 4-5 years. I got tired of annual fees and $50 replacement batteries. What ever replacement I was to get for the SG2 had to have a feature like Intelligreen. I discovered the Golf Guru on this site and chose it over others because of their equivalent to Intelligreen and the ability to edit downloaded courses and even map your own, including the outline of the green! No other unit I know of has that capability There are so many other reasons I am happy with it, too many to list! :)

Phil always jumps in to any GPS post and tries to promote his golf guru. I didn't see that in your list you have narrowed it down to. I think he wants to convince someone else to make the same mistake he did so he will have some company to discuss the problems that golf guru gives them and to share courses they have mapped themselves because they don't have nearly as many as Sky Caddie. :haha:

I haven't used all those on your list, but I do have a uPro unit. It is very nice and easy to use. I played in bright sun light the other day and had no problems seeing the screen. The fly overs are cool and very helpful, especially on a new course or a blind shot. From my comparison with my rangefinders, it was very accurate distance wise. Other GPS units I have used have not been so accurate. I also like the fact that you don't have any subscription fees. Once you download a course you will always have it. If you don't want all the pro mode features, you can get basic course information for free.

The only downside I see to the uPro is that no case or mounts are included, but from what I can tell, none of the other GPS include this stuff either, which to me is crazy. A $400 GPS and not even a little soft case to keep it safe.

bradbuff is just jealous. I too have a golf Guru (color). I researched for months and monitored all the posts concerning GPS and reviews on this board and others. I play in a weekly foursome with a upro, neo and SG5 and me with the Golf Guru. The Guru is easier to use than the others and more accurate. The upro would come in second then the neo. The SG5 keeps loosing signal. The others ask me for the yardage off my Guru to validate their readings. Another plus is the customer support. Last Wed I requested a 27 hole course to be mapped. Friday evening I received and email that the course was ready. Good service.

Phil always jumps in to any GPS post and tries to promote his golf guru. I didn't see that in your list you have narrowed it down to. I think he wants to convince someone else to make the same mistake he did so he will have some company to discuss the problems that golf guru gives them and to share courses they have mapped themselves because they don't have nearly as many as Sky Caddie. :haha:

I think Golf Guru is the best "bang for the buck" out there, but not everyone needs or wants all the features that it has, or they have other preferences. No big deal and no skin off my nose. I am just sharing my opinion with folks, giving them another option to consider that they may not have known about or thought of. In his original post, Michael never said that what he had eliminated from consideration, only what he was considering. There was no way to know if he had looked at the Golf Guru and dropped it from consideration or didn't even know about it. because it compares favorably with the three he mentioned.

Info to consider: I currently own, and use, the Sonocaddie V-300, Golf Guru Grey-scale, and Bushnell Pinseeker 1500 rangefinder. I was VERY interested in the U-Pro, particularly with the distance-marking capability for judging distance to a particular lay-up spot not previously "mapped". The 2 reasons that negated my interest in the U-Pro are (1) the many posts indicating difficulty in using the Pro-Mode in bright sunlight because of not being able to see the screen (one recent exception, but overall that seems to be the consensus, and I certainly don't want to pay $400.00 to use it strictly in Basic Mode), and (2) the VERY FEW courses mapped in western NC where I live. There is also the minor gripe that I hate to pay for a course that I will in all likelihood play only once on a group golf trip. I could justify that, though, feeling it would be worth that minor expense (just the "principle" of the thing). I agree with the other posts about the disadvantages of the SkyCaddie (any and all), despite not having any personal experience with one. Sonocaddie V-300 Pros: Enjoy being able to clearly see the "hole layout" view -- primarily for courses I have little or no playing experience with; Extremely easy to alter mapped courses, to include adding lay-up spots on par-5 holes, and any other "spots" I will probably need in future rounds -- particularly since my home course regularly moves the tees to locations requiring a different club on dog-leg and fairway-hazard holes; battery charge lasts "forever"-- I keep it set for backlight to turn on for 30 sec (plenty of time to see the distance that I need) and it stays on bright enough for me to see without backlight if I need longer than the 30 sec; it's been very reliable and hasn't given me any problems; requested courses have been mapped, though I've had to forward scorecards with course layouts for two of them; Mark function is extremely easy to use and can be used to read the distances for others as well. V-300 Cons: No hole advance (though I can click the forward search key and this will advance it, plus turn on backlight for me to readily see tee-off distance needed. If I don't need the GPS for several holes then this means being careful to advance to correct hole); mapping isn't nearly as good as that of Guru -- to include distances to various water hazards and creeks which cross the fairway on my home course (of course I easily added these distances due to the easy-to-use Edit feature); No intelligreen / greensense, etc (unlike Guru et al)-- V-300 just reads to a particular spot marked at front of green and back of green with no change if you are approaching from edge of fairway; larger than other GPSs, though very manageable when clipped onto my belt; occasionally a button gets pressed unintentionally and I have to reverse to go back to previous point. Guru Pros: Distances to green are based on direction of approach, unlike Sonocaddie; excellent mapping, to include lay-up distances on various holes, and to/carry distances to many/all hazzards; Readable in bright sunlight or clouds, though not as easy to read as I would like, since I have "vision difficulties"; automatic hole-advance; easy Mark similar to Sonocaddie; very light and easily carried on my belt in a generic cell-phone case purchased at Wal-Mart. Guru Cons: I traded-up my grey-scale Guru for the color Guru and it was defective in terms of maintaining a charge -- it wouldn't even stay charged for one round with minimum-time for backlight setting. I recently "reversed my trade-up" to recover my grey-scale because I found the Color Guru to be difficult to see in bright sunlight with backlight on, and NO VISIBILITY without backlight. I feel this is a tremendous disadvantage for the COLOR Guru. I presently carry all 3 units with me (and get plenty of hoots from my playing partners when they see my belt) and only use the GPS for distances outside 150 yds and for hidden-pin positions (hate to say amongst the trees) when I still have a shot at the green; otherwise, I rely totally on my Pinseeker and would not think of playing without it. It uses a 9 volt battery that also lasts "forever", readily picks up pin distances with 1 yd laser accuracy (EXCEPT in foggy or dim-light conditions). It's very bulky and stays in a pocket in my bag; More trouble to use, having to site the pin as opposed to looking at a screen; and difficult to site distances without a vertical target (e.g. edge of bunker or water). Sorry for this book-length post, and I'm sure i'll think of things I'll wish I'd added, but hope this will help others in their GPS evaluations. I am presently anxiously watching the ON-Par Touchscreen GPS to see which courses it will include, and am hoping they will provide a user-guide to download with much more info than their present website. Am excited about the fact that it will have the "distance-measure" feature, be much easier to use with the touch-screen foremat, and probably much brighter and easier to see. Can't wait to see early reviews of THIS ONE.

How does the Sonocaddie work with regard to editing a course and say adding targets and how they show up on the layout of the hole? If you add a distance to or to clear a bunker, does it show a geberic bunker on the layout of the hole?

Sorry to hear about your problem with the color Guru. Mine has never been a problem. I get at least three rounds per charge. You are correct that the backlight must be on otherwise you see nothing on the screen. As you know, the backlight can be set to 'dim', 'low', 'high' and 'bright'. I have mine on 'high' and 60sec delay and have no problem seeing it in bright sunshine.

One thing I have be careful and remind myself of. The unit is not off when you "unplug" it from a power source or, if connected to a computer, if you turn the computer off. The screen is dark but it is just the backlight that is off. You have to push a button to turn the backlight back on, then turn the unit off. Otherwise, with no power source charging it, the battery runs down. I wish the backlight would come on when it is unplugged or it stops charging as a reminder to turn it off.

. I discovered the Golf Guru on this site and chose it over others because of their equivalent to Intelligreen and the ability to edit downloaded courses and even map your own, including the outline of the green! No other unit I know of has that capability There are so many other reasons I am happy with it, too many to list! :)

I don't understand one thing- perhaps because I am unfamiliar with the guru.

If they have something equivalent to Intelligreen, why would you need to map the outline of the green on your own. My understanding of Intelligreen is that it is mapped and your angle of approach will rotate around the green on the gps.

Phil or anybody, if you can explain this to me, it would be much appreciated.

Also, is it not awkward holding/using the guru with the screen on the bottom of the unit?

Bart

. I discovered the Golf Guru on this site and chose it over others because of their equivalent to Intelligreen and the ability to edit downloaded courses and even map your own, including the outline of the green! No other unit I know of has that capability There are so many other reasons I am happy with it, too many to list! :)

I don't understand one thing- perhaps because I am unfamiliar with the guru.

If they have something equivalent to Intelligreen, why would you need to map the outline of the green on your own. My understanding of Intelligreen is that it is mapped and your angle of approach will rotate around the green on the gps.

Phil or anybody, if you can explain this to me, it would be much appreciated.

Also, is it not awkward holding/using the guru with the screen on the bottom of the unit?

Bart

I will give you an example. Our course, over a three year period, resurfaced our greens, in some cases making major changes to the size and shapes. A year after the completion of the project, SkyGolf came back to walk the course, so during those four years yardages to the greens were "off" by varying amounts. With the Golf Guru you can map the outline of the new green without having to wait for SkyGolf to come back and map or for aerial/satellite photos to be updated before it can be remapped.

Or, if you don't want to wait for a course that has yet to be mapped, you can map an entire course yourself.

As far as the screen at the bottom, at first it seemed a little awkward and is not as convenient placing it in a cup holder on a cart, but I and another friend who have found you quickly get used to it, more natural if you use your thumb to push the buttons, and we think it feels more secure in your hand with the way it is oriented. He dropped his SG2 a number of times until it finally stopped working, which is why he was in the market for a new unit in the first place.

Phil, I learned about having to manually turn off the color Guru from Amanda (Cust Svc) when trying to find what was wrong with my unit not being able to hold a charge, but it still had the problem. It would show fully charged when I went out to play, and then give out within fist half hr of use (usually during, or just after, first hole). I had my backlight set to maximum brightness (for best visibility in all light conditions) for minimum time (because it should not take more than 30 sec to see the screen, and if I needed to change views, each press of the button(s) would restart my 30 sec viewing time) but still had difficulty seeing it in bright sun. Like I said, I have vision problems. Re the V-300 editing, it comes with color icons of bunkers, creeks, lakes, trees, a flag (for lay-up mark), an X (to delete a previous icon if you need to change it), etc. It has enough icons to cover everything I could ever need. You select Left, Right or Center of Fairway for position of edit as well as selecting one of 9 different distances between tee and green, and you select either a ^ or (opposite direction angel -- my keyboard does not have this symbol) for front or back of icon you are inserting. After inserting the appropriate icon and position/location, you stand at that spot and press Record to enter 0 distance so that it will record the distance to that spot (illustrated by icon and ^) when you need to check the distance to it. This sounds very long and involved, but really it is done very quickly, and it shows up nicely on the hole-layout view. Sometimes, due to my poor vision, I have difficulty discerning the particular spot that the distance is measuring to (whether it is to far edge of left bunker of to lay-up flag in center of fairway), so I frequently change the view to "Hazard View" and it readily shows distance to each icon/spot without showing hole layout. This is very easy for even Me to see. I'll keep using BOTH GPS units til I decide which one works best for ME, and then most likely give the other to my son-in-law (to whom I give all my previously-owned golf clubs/equip) and keep one GPS and my Pinseeker. Still hoping that OnPar will be the answer to my prayers. By the way, Both the Sonocadddie and Guru record scores and statistics, but I don't use either for this. However I can see how these features might be very useful to others as, in my younger days (2 yrs ago, age 58) I used to carry a notepad out with me and recorded all kinds of stats, to include distance range of first putt + # of putts

All the responses to my oritinal post have provided a lot of great information, and I want to thank everyone for their contributions. I went back to Golf Galaxy yesterday after my round of golf to play with their SG5 display unit again. I wanted to make sure that all the numbers on the display were easily readible (I wear bifocal glasses about half the time-contact lenses the other half, but ALWAYS wear my contact lenses for playing golf and they are only for distance....not reading). I am glad to say that the numbers on the SG5 display were very readable. However, I can report that even if I had encountered some slight reading issues, the SG5 provides separate icons for each measured point of interest (POI) on each hole. If you highlight a specific POI, and then press the view button, it blows that POI up to fill the entire screen. This view makes everything BIG, including all the numbers. This was a pleasant surprise to me. Don't know if the other units I'm interested in (Sonocaddie V300 & uPro) do the same thing. As of today, the SG5 remains at the top of my list. No matter which GPS unit I buy, I will continue to carry my Bushnell Medalist (with PinSeeker) laser rangefinder with me for final green approach shots.

Not sure if any of the stores here in Tucson (Golf Galaxy, Golfsmith or Van's) will be discounting any of these units for Christmas....having my doubts, and if Sky Golf will not be coming out with a newer unit anytime soon, I want to buy my GPS unit before Christmas.

I know that Amazon is selling the SG5 for $355, but worried that if anything goes wrong with the SG5 during the warranty period, I may have difficulty with the exchange process. eBay's pricing is similar to Amazon, but they are also including the $75 box with accessories in the sale price (at least two days ago they were). Don't know how comfortable I would be buying this kind of thing from eBay either....any thoughts?

Thanks again.

Well, I finally pulled the trigger yesterday morning and purchased my Sky Caddie SG5 from one of the eBay sellers (extremegolfheadquarters). In addition to the SG5, the purchase included the Holiday Gift Box (travel case, unit leather cover, car charger and screen protectors). Individually, the items in the Gift Box sell for a total of $105. I got everything for $379 (free shipping and no sales tax).

Yesterday evening, I came back to this Forum, and saw some discussions from folks who had made purchases on eBay and had gotten some sort of Microsoft discount on their purchases, ranging from 10%-35%. I did not see this available to me when I made my purcahase, but I did not lose any sleep over it last night. I looked at it the same way as when I purchase a new TV or computer. I recognize that if I expend lots and lots of hours, and wait and wait and wait, I may get a better deal on my item of interest. It could also mean that Christmas will come and go, and I still won't have what I want. In this case, I will have my SG5 in my hands sometime next week......I'm happy.

Just to share, I decided on the Sky Caddie SG5 over the Sonocaddie V300 and the uPro for the following reasons:

1. I really liked the way the unit felt in my hands when I played with it at Golf Galaxy on a couple of occasions. It was very easy to use.
  2. I really liked the features on the SG5 (e.g. the display screen was fantastic; intelligreen; the large number of points of interest on each hole which could each be blown up to full screen)
  3. The unit felt very rugged, like it could hold up to a lot of use. Not that I plan to play rough with it, but s___ does happen sometimes. I've read that the Sonocaddie appears to be pretty rugged, but the uPro may or may not be....not sure.
  4. None of the stores here in town have a Sonocaddie V300 or a uPro in stock. I generally don't like to make purchases like this without at least being able to "touch" what I want to buy.
  5. The number of 4-star courses currently available in the Sky Golf vault is far greater than the number of Pro Mode courses for uPro, or the number of full color courses for Sonocaddie. All of the course I play are in the 4-star list. Not all are on the listings for Soncaddie or uPro. I know that you can request courses for Sonocaddie and uPro, but still.....

Finally, the yearly fee for the Sky Caddie was not really a negative feature...actually I think of it in a more postive light. In my mind the yearly fee gives Sky Golf the means to actually go out and update their courses, and keep their golf course database as up to date as possible. I actually have a concern on the Sonocaddie (one time purchase for unlimited course downloads) and uPro (one time purchase of individual golf courses) in this area. Five years down the road, where will the funds come from for course updates? Will Sonocaddie and uPro be totally depending on sales of new units for money to keep their golf course databases up to date? Don't know.

Again, thanks for your information contributions. They helped a lot.

Hope all of you have a great Holiday Season...............and great golfing.

• 2 weeks later...

Just thought I would share.

I received my brand new Sky Caddie SG5, and used it for the first time yesterday (what.....you thought I was going to wait until after Christmas?). Opening an account and registering it on the Sky Caddie website was extremely easy, and downloading my first six courses only took a few minutes. I charged it up and went to the golf course on Wednesday. It performed flawlessly. I love the large color screen, the "easy to read" numbers and found that the hazard and bunker points matched the golf course exactly. I compared the yardages it showed to my laser rangefinder yardages, and they were within 1-2 yards of each other (pretty darn good from 100 - 200 yards out). On the par 3 holes, there is a plate in the ground on the tee box showing Front/Middle/Back, and the SG5 gave the same readout from that point. Also, I never lost the satellite signal during the entire round. Although I'm normally a "walker", the course I played was a "carts only" course, and it still never lost the signal.

I realize that this is only one time out with it, but so far it's everything I was hoping for.

Sign me, very happy with my choice.

Thanks to all of you who responded to my original message. :rolleyes:

my reply is coming in too late, but i was going to give the thumbs to the sg5!! that's what i have and have more than pleased. to those who mention their customer service, all i can say is WOW!! i totally disagree!! over the summer, i actually was in email contact with mr. meadows, who is th vp of skygolf!!. he would email me within the hour after i asked questions. he even contacted me in the early fall to see if i wanted to be a beta tester for the new sg5 software update. he had one of the techs email me the software, and after i loaded it, it worked flawless!! so i am a skycaddie customer for a long time to come!

I'm new here but thought I'd add my input on SkyCaddie/SkyGolf customer service. I've had nothing but very good service from them, so I was surprised to hear there is so much negative feedback on them. My experience was just the opposite. I had an SG3 that was not working to well, way out of warranty, sent it in, they shipped me another unit free. That unit had a small problem out of the box, I could see how it would have been missed in testing but still unfortunate, but they fedex'd me a replacement in 2 days and paid for return shipping. So all and all, I can't think of much they could have done better so I have to say I'd be willing to stay with them if it wasn't for the annual fees.

I'm selling the SG3 as I just don't think it's as good other models. So I'm likely going with the SG5 due to a) I think SkyGolf will be in business longer than some of these other smaller shops, b) it has most of the features I need (being able to move the target to an exact spot on the green for distance to the pin, intelligreen, etc). I like all the scoring utility on the other devices like the SonoCaddie, but I do that stuff on paper and excel now anyway and I'm not sure I'd keep it up unless the interface to entering shot-by-shot is well integrated into the hole. If it wasn't for the annual fee and the 10 course limit, I'd have already bought it....but it does have those limitations so I'm still looking at the SonoCaddie and GolfBuddy.

So, here's a question...if you get a unit, say the Golf Buddy, that stores a huge number of courses and has no annuals, or maybe they do, and the company goes belly up, does the unit still function? On the Skycaddie, can I still play and use the data for those courses I have on the unit if they go belly up or I stop paying my membership? Thats a plus for those that store 20000 courses because if you keep them updated, you can probably manage for a number of years after they're out of business.

I echo the comment made somewhere else, that I think at $300 +/- for these units, they are almost a 3-4 year tool that you replace like your driver. So I'm not too worried about the 5-6 years down the road time, but I think in this economy, youll see some consolidation in the industry in the next 6 months...so who do you bank on being around...These companies eat through money early on, and the credit market is pretty tight right now.

Thanks